Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

This is the FMV cutscene that plays as the attract sequence.

And this is the one that plays when you start a new file, and continues directly on from the one in the attract sequence.

"Not who I was expecting. Well if that's how it's gonna be..."

The conditions for victory are stated at the beginning of battle. For the first few battles, it's fairly straightforward.

Soundtrack: Field 1 - Battle 1 (Giza Plains)
The Field part of the song plays when gameplay is relaxed and you're just walking around, and the Battle part when your characters are actually exchanging attacks with foes. It's neat and tricky to recreate in Let's Play form, so here's the two variants, take your pick. The soundtrack is recycled from FFXII, and this particular tune originally played in the Giza Plains area. Hence, it's name. Lots of songs do this, I won't point it out after this, but if you're wondering about a track name, it's probably a throwback to where is was in FFXII.

- You must get past the flan first to proceed. -

- Before issuing a command, you must first select a unit. You can use the Unit Tabs at the top of the bottom screen to quickly select units. A hand icon will appear above the heads of any selected units. -

- Now that we've selected Vaan, let's order him to attack. Touching the flan will cause the cursor to change to a pair of swords. Lift the stylus to issue the attack command. -

- Touching an open space on the battlefield will cause the cursor to change to a pair of boots. Lift the stylus to order the selected units to move to that location. Units will automatically attack enemies near their destination, so you can use the move command to attack as well. -

"Let's see what you've got!"

As the tutorial says, tap on or near an enemy to attack it. Being the first enemy in the game, this guy dies pretty quickly.

"Now to find Penelo. She has to be in here somewhere."

Bonus: The tutorial instructs you to fight a flan before finding Penelo. You get a bit of different dialogue if you choose to walk past the flan.

"So, where did everybody run off to?"

But whether you're a pacifist or not, both choices reunite at the camera tutorial.

- You can move the camera at any time to survey the battlefield. Touch the stylus to the bottom screen, then slide the cursor to the edge of the screen to scroll your view. As you can see, the camera will move in the direction of the side of the screen you touched. You can also use the Control Pad to move the camera. Now it's time to use the commands you've learned to find Penelo! -

On the top screen of the Nintendo DS is a minimap. The blue arrows are characters currently under our control. The yellow arrows are non-aggressive characters not under our control. The purple dots are foes. Anyway, Penelo is just up ahead.

If you tap on a unit, some info appears on the top screen. Here's what you get when you tap on Penelo. Once you get close to her, a conversation will automatically start.

Soundtrack: Penelo's Theme
(Giza Plains resumes after this conversation)

"Sorry, I got here as fast as I could."

"You didn't waste time getting yourself into trouble."

- She'll cast Cure on nearby allies to restore their health. You can also select Penelo, then target an ally to have her cast Cure on the targeted unit. -

"Yeah, so?"

"They're just up ahead. And I don't think Balthier is gonna wait forever."

"Then what are we standin' around talkin' for? C'mon!"

- Guide Vaan and Penelo through the dungeon to reach Balthier and Fran. Slide the stylus across the screen to select multiple units at once. Selecting multiple units can save a lot of time when issuing commands. You can also press the X Button to select all friendly units. -

- You can clear you current selection without issuing a command by touching the Clear icon in the top-right corner of the bottom screen. You're then free to make a new selection. -

Penelo is purely a white mage, and can't attack enemies. Her role is just healing, but it's a very valuable role. On the way up, there are a couple more flans to fight. Like the first flan battle, there's pretty much no way to lose, especially considering that Penelo is here to heal Vaan now. Once they're defeated, just proceed to the two yellow arrows remaining on the map.

"Enjoy your stroll through the ruins?"

"Well, at least they waited for us. C'mon, let's go!"

If you tap on Balthier and Fran, here's the info you get.

After winning a battle, you're given the opportunity to save. Since this was a short, tutorial-heavy mission, and the prologue is only two battles long, let's keep playing!

Soundtrack: Title Demo (Loop Demo)

"Whoa..."

"It would seem the Cache of Glabados holds two treasures."

"Perfect! One for you and Balthier, and one for us!"

"Settling for only half the treasure? What sort of sky pirate are you?"

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword)

"Ernh..."

"This Mist...so strange. It's...cold."

"Can you fight?"

"Yes, I think so."

- Use Vaan and Penelo to attack Ifrit. Move in to attack while Balthier and Fran keep the other enemies busy. -

If you just follow the instructions the tutorial gives you, this battle is simple.

Fran and Balthier are being controlled by the AI, and will dispatch the smaller foes. All you have to do is tap your stylus on Vaan and Penelo, and move them both towards Ifrit!

When all the smaller foes are gone, Fran and Balthier will help you finish the big guy off.

And you're done! Easy as!

Soundtrack: Balthier's Theme (Destiny)

"What now?"

"The legend of the Cache of Glabados - you're familiar with it, yes?"

"Why am I not surprised? Very well, I'll tell you this once, but no more."

"It holds a connection with the eternal."

"The eternal what?"

"A treasure is like a mysterious woman. You have to be worthy of her, or she'll slip through you fingers."

"Better if I take it."

"Go ahead."

"Vaan, what are you doing?"

"He's acting the sky pirate."

"But remember, Vaan. The things you own can end up owning you."

"Seems our performance has brought down the house."

"We've gotta get outta here!"

Next time: Vaan returns home and tells his friends all about his adventures and how badly he screwed up. See you then!

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread