Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Trast posted:

I liked how Clark and Lois's daughter turned out artwise and character wise. Is that based on a previous character or just something Taylor came up with?

To me she comes off as a cross between Lara from Dark Knight Strikes Again and Cir-El, the brief Supergirl who was supposed to be the daughter of Clark and Lois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hate-O-Tron posted:

I kinda doubt it's Black Mercy, since it came from Constantine, right? And it's something that even Spectre can't undo. Maybe he got Morpheus/Dream to do him a solid?

That was my thinking too, especially since Sandman was the first time I saw Constantine. But it does fit Black Mercy perfectly and the titel of the last two comics are a direct reference to the previous story it was used in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unless Taylor left a lot of notes, I doubt we're gonna find out.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Unless Taylor left a lot of notes, I doubt we're gonna find out.

If he didn't, is there some reason the new guy couldn't drop him an email and go "hey what'd you have in mind for what that powder was"?

Not rhetorical, are there actual contract reasons that couldn't happen or something? Because I honestly can't think why someone wouldn't do that if they're picking up in the middle of someone else's plot threads; it'd just make the transition easier, I'd think.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'll be sticking with Injustice for a while unless it gets really bad, but "I don't know, Ares did it, I guess" isn't filling me with too much hope.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah it's incredibly lazy writing, which isn't really what we've gotten so far.

Not like it worked on Diana when she was out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ick, that art this week. While not awful was pretty bad in some places, and the writing was uh.. not that great. Although Constantine saying we got cunning falling out our rear end was pretty funny.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gavok posted:

I'll be sticking with Injustice for a while unless it gets really bad, but "I don't know, Ares did it, I guess" isn't filling me with too much hope.

"A wizard did it" but for the side without the wizards.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

This issue felt too much like deck clearing, which makes me leery with where they are going next. I think I am done with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I hate all of you for convincing me to start reading injustice, and when I finally catch-up it turns to poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even know why they kept the series going after Taylor said he was leaving. He's the ONLY reason we got to year 3 instead of just having a 6 issue mini series.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even know why they kept the series going after Taylor said he was leaving. He's the ONLY reason we got to year 3 instead of just having a 6 issue mini series.

They'll ride the sales until it really crashes most likely.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The new issue was fine until I realized that the writer completely forgot that Spectre was there. Seriously, he's there in the cliffhanger of the previous issue and there's no sign of him this time around. That's kind of a big deal in a big fight scene.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

The new issue was fine until I realized that the writer completely forgot that Spectre was there. Seriously, he's there in the cliffhanger of the previous issue and there's no sign of him this time around. That's kind of a big deal in a big fight scene.

That was explained on the previous issue, Spectre can't get into the Tower of Fate. He can only transport Superman (and his team) to it.

Solid issue, was the guy on Arkham Jason Blood?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That was explained on the previous issue, Spectre can't get into the Tower of Fate. He can only transport Superman (and his team) to it.

Solid issue, was the guy on Arkham Jason Blood?

Ah, my bad.

I imagine the guy in Arkham was Jim Corrigan, making it more and more likely that Spectre is the Joker.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If it really is Joker I'm going to be rather annoyed at the laziness.

Why is Harley taking another super pill? Or is this all taking place before the annual?

Also I don't get why WW and Superman got so mad at Sinestro for attacking someone the wrong way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cassa posted:

If it really is Joker I'm going to be rather annoyed at the laziness.

Why is Harley taking another super pill? Or is this all taking place before the annual?

Also I don't get why WW and Superman got so mad at Sinestro for attacking someone the wrong way.

Pill's effects are temporary. They need to be consumed regularly.

As for the other thing, Superman's side isn't the most logical around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WW got knocked out and missed a good bit of the horrible poo poo superman got up to (beating up the green lanterns, lasering Canary,, etc.), and she's still an honorable warrior lady, so it's not too much of a stretch for her to be against Sinestro's underhanded poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Also, Superman said they were there to get their people back. Just because he has a blood feud with Bruce doesn't mean he wants everyone splattered against the walls; even by the time of the game he's still running his regime as a police state, not an extermination engine against the undesirables (well, for a while).

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 21, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There's something from the game that kind of confused me and I was wondering if it is covered in the comics. Maybe I'm just looking at things wrong.

We have two worlds, A and B.
World A is the one we all know and love - Superman's not a murdering dick, everyone is alive and well as normal, this is baseline DC comics. The heroes are heroes and the villains are villains.
World B is the screwed up one, but it was split off from World A when Superman killed Lois by accident and then killed Joker out of revenge

The comics cover (so far) the 5 years or so where Superman builds up his powerbase, goes crazy and starts his bid for world domination/control. He either recruits or kills anyone who would stand in his way.

In the game, which takes place at the end of those 5 years, Heroes from World A come in and stop Superman and friends in world B.

But then there's Lex Luthor. In World B, he's Superman's Pal (sorry Jimmy). Or at least pretending to be. In reality, he's working with Batman to try and take Superman down, and he's close enough to him to get important information.

So, was Lex always cool with Superman in World B? Or did Superman buy into his own hype so hard that he genuinely believes that Lex is now his best friend since mean old Batman didn't want him to kill everyone who looked at him cross-eyed? If the latter, that seems like a really stupid move on Supe's part, to have one of his biggest enemies right next to him all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

So, was Lex always cool with Superman in World B? Or did Superman buy into his own hype so hard that he genuinely believes that Lex is now his best friend since mean old Batman didn't want him to kill everyone who looked at him cross-eyed? If the latter, that seems like a really stupid move on Supe's part, to have one of his biggest enemies right next to him all the time.

Superman finds Lex as the only survivor of the Metropolis disaster and that basically seems to be the bedrock of their friendship.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

There's something from the game that kind of confused me and I was wondering if it is covered in the comics. Maybe I'm just looking at things wrong.

We have two worlds, A and B.
World A is the one we all know and love - Superman's not a murdering dick, everyone is alive and well as normal, this is baseline DC comics. The heroes are heroes and the villains are villains.
World B is the screwed up one, but it was split off from World A when Superman killed Lois by accident and then killed Joker out of revenge

The comics cover (so far) the 5 years or so where Superman builds up his powerbase, goes crazy and starts his bid for world domination/control. He either recruits or kills anyone who would stand in his way.

In the game, which takes place at the end of those 5 years, Heroes from World A come in and stop Superman and friends in world B.

But then there's Lex Luthor. In World B, he's Superman's Pal (sorry Jimmy). Or at least pretending to be. In reality, he's working with Batman to try and take Superman down, and he's close enough to him to get important information.

Uh, the bit about Lex has been an ongoing plot on the comic since the beginning.

After Lex survived the explosion and was found by Superman he sworn to help him rebuild the work, thus gaining Superman's trust over the years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They don't show it, but it feels implied that Superman and Lex were friends before Metropolis blew up in the Injustice universe.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Skwirl posted:

They don't show it, but it feels implied that Superman and Lex were friends before Metropolis blew up in the Injustice universe.

The game definitely implies that Lex and Superman have always been friends in the Injustice universe, and Lex ended up secretly turning against him when he went power-mad because he disagreed with that. But because he's Lex Luthor he's real good at keeping it secret.

But I don't know if the comic backs that up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

The game definitely implies that Lex and Superman have always been friends in the Injustice universe, and Lex ended up secretly turning against him when he went power-mad because he disagreed with that. But because he's Lex Luthor he's real good at keeping it secret.

But I don't know if the comic backs that up.

That seems to be the case in the comic too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, in the comic, Luthor outright tells the Justice League that for years he's known all of their secret identities and has been secretly protecting them and their loved ones. He's totally cool with Superman's plans until a conversation with the Kents make him question it.

In other news, I wrote an article on the top 25 moments from Tom Taylor's run on Injustice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is a hard issue to judge, because we've got just a big beat em up. I did like that they depowered Superman from the yellow ring and it makes sense Wonderwoman would not be okay with that. Imma go completely out on a limb and say that the guy in the Asylum is Psycho Pirate? I believe his name is and not Jim Corrigan, he's the one I believe who sees the other worlds and the DC Multiverse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Something that's kind of missing from this issue and the last is that Regime Wonder Woman was always kind of more warlike and aggressive then the "normal" WW.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does Kingdom Come count for this thread?

Because I read that for the first time last week and it was fantastic. There's a lot of familiar elements, like Superman taking it too far, Batman opposing him, etc, but the art really set it apart. That's one gorgeous comic.

I also loved that take on the Flash. He's never shown clearly in any panel. He's always a blur, as if he's completely unable to stay still, or doing ten other things at once.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

ConfusedUs posted:

Because I read that for the first time last week and it was fantastic. There's a lot of familiar elements, like Superman taking it too far, Batman opposing him, etc, but the art really set it apart. That's one gorgeous comic.

I know it seems that way sometimes, but we don't just talk about Injustice here. I have to agree with you about Kingdom Come, though I do find the idea of Silver Age heroes being bastions of morality kind of perplexing considering the existence of Super Dickery. On the other hand I got into comics way after the Dark Age so I guess I'm missing some context. Also it's interesting how shocked Superman is at Wonder Woman wielding a sword considering how martial a character she's become.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I know it seems that way sometimes, but we don't just talk about Injustice here. I have to agree with you about Kingdom Come, though I do find the idea of Silver Age heroes being bastions of morality kind of perplexing considering the existence of Super Dickery.

There is a reason for this, and this is it: Mark Waid wrote it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I know it seems that way sometimes, but we don't just talk about Injustice here. I have to agree with you about Kingdom Come, though I do find the idea of Silver Age heroes being bastions of morality kind of perplexing considering the existence of Super Dickery. On the other hand I got into comics way after the Dark Age so I guess I'm missing some context. Also it's interesting how shocked Superman is at Wonder Woman wielding a sword considering how martial a character she's become.

It takes place post-Crisis and it's a commentary on the 90s grimdarkening.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I also loved that take on the Flash. He's never shown clearly in any panel. He's always a blur, as if he's completely unable to stay still, or doing ten other things at once.

I found there was a lot of familiar elements in Kingdom Come (and in DKR) simply because they were so influential. A lot of those new elements found enough traction to be pulled back into the mainstream DCU.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I SO DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING

Spectre is Mxyzptxl

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow. That went peak stupid pretty quickly.

RIP.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Wow. That went peak stupid pretty quickly.

RIP.

How so?

I thought it was an excellent twist.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Because it came across as a twist for the sake of a twist. A lot of signs pointed to Joker and then suddenly it's the 5th dimensional imp because reasons.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cassa posted:

Because it came across as a twist for the sake of a twist. A lot of signs pointed to Joker and then suddenly it's the 5th dimensional imp because reasons.

I mean, we're gonna get a better explanation on the next issue but the fakeout is actually pretty clever (being the Joker would've actually stupid since it would have a lot of plot holes and kind of go against the Joker characterization), plus the whole thing is in character for Mxy and within his stablished powers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Considering we just got an entire few issues dedicated to For the Man Who Has Everything, I'm pretty sure the reveal and plotline is an homage to this:

Twist for the sake of a twist, am I right?

While I'm interested in seeing the explanation, I dig the reveal. It's the rare mix of not seeing it coming, yet making enough sense that I feel like I should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

While I'm interested in seeing the explanation, I dig the reveal. It's the rare mix of not seeing it coming, yet making enough sense that I feel like I should have.

Exactly! Is such a great twist and how you accurately mention, is more than likely is an homage/callback to "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?"

Although I can't help but wonder if the twist is Taylor final hurrah or is Buccelatto being a great writer.

• Locked thread