Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Scyantific I would love you forever if you could get a new OP on graphical mods. I wanted to reinstall my OS and the first thing I did the last time I reinstalled my OS was play around with Skyrim mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Their two buggiest games (Alpha Protocol and KoTOR II) were released in that state because of the publisher moving up the release date or outright halting development, IIRC. I never played NWN2 or DS3, though, so I can't comment on those.

I believe that NWN2 was QAed by Bioware. It needed a few patches to fix it.

Because of how peopled complained about how Obsidian games were so buggy. When they did their own QA for DS3, they did a very good job.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know that there will eventually be a mod thread, but I'm having this issue that I can't figure out for the life of me. I'm trying to install SkyUI, but it just won't install. I copied the .esp to my Skyrim date file, and it came up on my list of active mods in Mod Manager, but the interface still doesn't change.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know that there will eventually be a mod thread, but I'm having this issue that I can't figure out for the life of me. I'm trying to install SkyUI, but it just won't install. I copied the .esp to my Skyrim date file, and it came up on my list of active mods in Mod Manager, but the interface still doesn't change.
There should have been a "SkyUI.bsa" file with the download. This is an archive that contains the GUI files and needs to be placed next to "SkyUI.esp".
Also if you're using Mod Organizer, be sure to check the SkyUI bsa file in the BSAs tab.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Speaking of mods, are there any good hud mods? I don't want a minimalistic one or anything, I just want a hud that actually shows me some goddamn useful information, like a hud is supposed to. I'm tired of pausing the game just to see what my active effects are and what time it is. SkyUI kind of does this, but its implementation isn't very complete so I just have to keep pausing and digging through menus anyway.

I'm almost motivated to learn how to mod myself just to make the thing I need. I'm surprised none of the other million Skyrim owners have made this already (that I can find, at least).

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Are the old threads form the skyrim/saints subforum still accessible? I am looking for the graphical mods thread. I had to reinstall Windows and lost my non-workshop mods and there an intensive mod type (some sort of 3 letter abbreviation) people discussed there. I need that in my life.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

pokie posted:

Are the old threads form the skyrim/saints subforum still accessible? I am looking for the graphical mods thread. I had to reinstall Windows and lost my non-workshop mods and there an intensive mod type (some sort of 3 letter abbreviation) people discussed there. I need that in my life.

The mod you're looking for is ENB. Find it at https://www.enbdev.com

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is there anything similar to FCOM for Skyrim?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Scyantific posted:

The mod you're looking for is ENB. Find it at https://www.enbdev.com

Sweet what are the best/most popular versions these days?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Phinix ENB and Quietcool ENB seem to be what all the cool kids are using these days.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The ones that are really popular right now are Phinix, Quitecool, K, Kountervibe, TrueVision, Project ENB, and Seasons of Skyrim.

The last three are done by the same person, who is currently overhauling them for the new binaries (the old ones ran on version .119).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pokie posted:

Are the old threads form the skyrim/saints subforum still accessible?
Yes.

tankadillo posted:

I'm almost motivated to learn how to mod myself just to make the thing I need. I'm surprised none of the other million Skyrim owners have made this already (that I can find, at least).
The problem is that the UI is build in flash and Bethesda didn't released the source, nor any tools. It's the least accesible thing to mod for in Skyrim.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I was away from Skyrim for about 18 months. I finally got round to getting the DLC, setting up a new batch of mods and overhauls, and having another crack. So far, I've been having a great time. Hearthfire was somewhat underwhelming, but I knew what to expect, so I'm not griping.

If I were stupidly rich, it would be lovely to hire a small, skilled team and get some immersive quest-chains made. I've also found myself missing some of the dungeon texture sets from older games -- Dunmer tombs, Ayleid ruins, &c. Those damned Nord tomb-complexes are so samey. Plus, of course, we could do with a region or two that are less stark than Skyrim proper. And then... well, you get the image. Sadly, my modding skills were pretty much stretched to the limit by Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips, and that's about as basic as you can get.

Oh well. In the absence of a lottery win, I'll have to make do with updating ol' Sheo to the DLC -- and a few key mods -- some time. (Helgen Reborn blew me away, for example.) But a guy can dream, right?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ok so I went ahead and put up the unfinished Skyrim Modding Thread so we don't clog up the main thread with mods. Find it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959.

I'll be adding more stuff throughout the weekend (heading out for the day right now), but for now it's mainly got the basics down. (A lot of stuff to filter through!)

If you have any good mods that you think would be cool to add to the OP, post them up in that thread and I'll add them!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
How can I get a follower to disengage from a very bad combat? I told Lydia to wait somewhere while I snuck around a giant camp, but apparently I didn't do that far enough away because when I crept away, I found her fighting one of the giants! She's now stuck in a nasty loop where she charges a giant and hits it a couple times, she gets knocked down by the giant's counterattack, the giant walks away, but when Lydia gets up again she immediately charges the nearest giant again. How do I end this cycle and get her out of the camp? I've tried fast traveling and she doesn't follow, I've tried sneaking up and talking to her but she won't respond when down and runs off too fast when she gets up.

EDIT: Problem solved. One of the giants sent her into the stratosphere and I managed to track down where she landed.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 1, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

How can I get a follower to disengage from a very bad combat? I told Lydia to wait somewhere while I snuck around a giant camp, but apparently I didn't do that far enough away because when I crept away, I found her fighting one of the giants! She's now stuck in a nasty loop where she charges a giant and hits it a couple times, she gets knocked down by the giant's counterattack, the giant walks away, but when Lydia gets up again she immediately charges the nearest giant again. How do I end this cycle and get her out of the camp? I've tried fast traveling and she doesn't follow, I've tried sneaking up and talking to her but she won't respond when down and runs off too fast when she gets up.

EDIT: Problem solved. One of the giants sent her into the stratosphere and I managed to track down where she landed.

:allears:

Bethesda games.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
^^^ These things do make them the best. :v:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Main Paineframe posted:

If you have console access I think you can highlight both her and whatever Giant is taunting her and use the command 'stopcombat'. I've had to use that a few times when followers and stupid goddamn quest npc (I'm looking at you Serana) get into stupid slapfights over aoe damage.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Running away has worked for me so far. I got in over my head at low levels fighting a fort full of necromancers and after a short time the dog that started following me eventually showed up.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I've never played skyrim. I just bought the legendary edition. I played oblivion fallout 3 and new vegas to almost full completion so I know I'm going to like it.

Whats the best class/faction to go with for the first playstyle if I really truly wanted to play once and probably shelve the thing? I don't think I really have the time for multiple playthroughs but I don't mind trying to play a certain character through as many areas as possible.
Like is there a dark brotherhood like oblivion I should beeline to? and I should stick with range or w/e?

thanks!

EDIT: also is there some sort of unofficial patch I should install no matter what similar to vampire: bloodlines?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I wasn't just a handful of achievements away from Platinum I would put away my PS3 copy of Skyrim forever. Today it has locked up three times and I am just so tired of doing stuff over (because I have to leave autosave turned off or it performs even worse :v:). Just now it froze after I had played for less than 10 minutes, so I'm clearing out all the game data and reinstalling the latest patch and all the DLC since that's just a thing you have to do sometimes to make it run a little less lovely. :suicide:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's no concept of classes in Skyrim, like in Oblivion. Your level is governed by your skills (after a number of skillups, you can level up), so you can play whatever suits you. If you want to play magic, though, you'll need mods to fix magic scaling (there's none).

As far as questlines go, you have to pick sides in the Dawnguard DLC main quest and the civil war questline from vanilla. Also, skip the civil war questline because it's poo poo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have this game on PS3, but I was recently given a pc that runs New Vegas at max settings no problem. Canirunit.com said my pc can run Skyrim on medium to low settings. My question is: how does that compare to the PS3 graphics?

I want the game on pc for mods (really want to use Dwemer certified, love RobCo certified.)

Edit: Everything burrito; I reccomend leaving the Menu Autosave (15 minutes) and the Save on Rest on. Those keep me covered. It seems (to me) that most of the problems come from saving when the game is trying to do a bunch of other poo poo at the same time.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 1, 2013

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

:hugs thread:

I'm on my second playthrough. Red Sonya had gotten too powerful and could run through the forest naked punching things. Now it's Conan's turn but I set some rules for myself. NO DRAGONS. I'm also staying out of the Civil War. Later, when he's stupidly power I'm going to change him into Thor, complete with Mjölnir, Asgaurdian Armor and flying. Then he's going to go punch dragons.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I have Menu autosave on but at 30 minutes and Rest autosave still on, but I forgot to mention that when it freezes the system my saves keep getting corrupted so the last save (usually an autosave) is totally gone.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah I have Menu autosave on but at 30 minutes and Rest autosave still on, but I forgot to mention that when it freezes the system my saves keep getting corrupted so the last save (usually an autosave) is totally gone.

Wow, I've never had that problem. Ouch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I try to remember to save regularly and rotate my saves so I'm never relying on just one, but I lose progress like an entire dungeon all the time. I put most of the blame on the game because I have never had these issues with any other game, but my system is pretty darn old so I'm sure it isn't as resiliant to issues as a newer system might be. I just hope Skyrim isn't the game that finally kills it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since we don't have a Post Your Skyrim Character thread anymore, I'll just put this here. My first Kajhiit playthrough, with D'Saaja.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't really get into Skyrim, but what exactly is a 'Dragonborn'? I've always wondered.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Anatharon posted:

I didn't really get into Skyrim, but what exactly is a 'Dragonborn'? I've always wondered.

Someone that is chosen by Akatosh to be born with the power to absorb Dragon Souls (and thus are the only ones that are capable of truly killing a Dragon) and then use said souls to turn them into Shouts, powerful spells that are used when the user speaks in the Dragon Language (which is also known as the Thu'um).

Dragonborns aren't the only ones capable of using the Thu'um, but it normally takes years and years to master something that a Dragonborn can learn in a few seconds.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I've never played skyrim. I just bought the legendary edition. I played oblivion fallout 3 and new vegas to almost full completion so I know I'm going to like it.

Whats the best class/faction to go with for the first playstyle if I really truly wanted to play once and probably shelve the thing? I don't think I really have the time for multiple playthroughs but I don't mind trying to play a certain character through as many areas as possible.
Like is there a dark brotherhood like oblivion I should beeline to? and I should stick with range or w/e?

thanks!

EDIT: also is there some sort of unofficial patch I should install no matter what similar to vampire: bloodlines?

There isn't really any class, everything is based on whatever skills you tend to use the most. Which comes in handy if you start playing one way and don't like it, since you can just switch to using different skills on the same character.

As for factions, yes there is a Dark Brotherhood quest line but I don't know if you can beeline to it. You can pick up the quest by talking to some of the innkeepers and asking about rumors. This game isn't like New Vegas, you could theoretically complete pretty much every faction's questline on one single character if you do it right, with the exception of a few that require you to choose a side.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Ok rad, Just wanted to make sure I dont end up picking a questline that lets me only work with XYZ quests when I also wanted to do ABC. Thanks!

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Some time ago, I think in the old Bibliophilia thread over at Skyrow, I got linked to an ebook of all the in-game books that were found in Skyrim. What I felt lacking in it were the classic Morrowind books, so I figured "why not" and decided to gather all the in-game books into ebook format.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzP0ziF7E9rZaFlhRDdNYWlXcW8

When I saw that it was approaching the six month mark, I was determined not to get it past that. So I finished it over the weekend. I did not fix spelling or factual errors in the books, this is just as it came out from the games. When it comes to multiple versions of the same book in several games, I took the most recent version of the book. So that means I do not have the Daggerfall version of the Real Barenziah, and for me that's a good thing. The list of books I used to compile this might be incomplete, but since I got it from UESP I want to trust it.

The MOBI kindle format is tested and looks good. PDF looks good as well but I'm unable to test the epub format.

The esb.* files is where the books are arranged alphabetically. the esb_bygame.* is where the books are first ordered by game, and then ordered alphabetically.

Given that this is on google drive at the moment, anyone can take those books and upload elsewhere for easier access and perhaps more viewers.

The work files are in a zip file for anyone who figures they can streamline the ebook further, or optimize it or actually tackle the spelling errors.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
I'm still using some old ENB config called "Fimbulvinter" or something like that. I am interested in trying out some of the newer ones but from all the screenshots the colors all look way too saturated, makes everything look too cartooney for my tastes...

Are there any good new ENB configs out there with a more muted palette? It just makes everything look a lot more realistic to me as well as conveying that feeling of cold, frozen tundras better, IMHO.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Ok rad, Just wanted to make sure I dont end up picking a questline that lets me only work with XYZ quests when I also wanted to do ABC. Thanks!

In a way the Dark Brotherhood quests are like that, but siding with them has the most content though. If you don't you just get some dinky "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!" quest and that's it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

RennZero posted:

I'm still using some old ENB config called "Fimbulvinter" or something like that. I am interested in trying out some of the newer ones but from all the screenshots the colors all look way too saturated, makes everything look too cartooney for my tastes...

Are there any good new ENB configs out there with a more muted palette? It just makes everything look a lot more realistic to me as well as conveying that feeling of cold, frozen tundras better, IMHO.

Phinix ENB.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Looks like all the Skyrim DLC is on sale on Xbox Live for 50% off right now. The game itself is on sale too I think. In case anyone hasn't taken the leap yet.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Looks like all the Skyrim DLC is on sale on Xbox Live for 50% off right now. The game itself is on sale too I think. In case anyone hasn't taken the leap yet.

Why does this always happen literally two days after I buy anything on Steam?

In other non-raging news, I just bought the DLC two days ago and it has kind of reignited my interest in the game. I do have one qualm with Dawnguard, though. Seems I can't avoid accidentally hitting a citizen when they all sort of rush into the Vampire attacks - so immediately after saving the town, I get thrown in jail or pay a fine, THANKS OBAMA TITUS MEDE II!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MeccaPrime posted:

In other non-raging news, I just bought the DLC two days ago and it has kind of reignited my interest in the game. I do have one qualm with Dawnguard, though. Seems I can't avoid accidentally hitting a citizen when they all sort of rush into the Vampire attacks - so immediately after saving the town, I get thrown in jail or pay a fine, THANKS OBAMA TITUS MEDE II!

Go to the mods thread, and download the When Vampires Attack Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

MeccaPrime posted:

I've had a lot of luck avoiding vampire attacks by simply fast traveling to the stables instead of directly to the cities. They also stop if you join the vampire faction, but then you'll have to deal with random Dawnguard attacks (and they don't have a problem killing innocent NPCs).

• Locked thread