Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Drakenel posted:

And the golden cartridge of Majora's Mask.
Weren't all Majora's Mask cartridges golden? Ocarina of Time was the one with the limited edition gold cart (in the US, that is -- here in Europe we only got the grey cart version).

I pretty much grew up with the N64 (so many years spent playing Goldeneye multiplayer), and nowadays it's my main retro console because of that nostalgia. I own three N64s -- my original PAL console bought in March 1997 which still works like a champ; an NUS-001(FRA) model that has been modded to output RGB video (basically, in PAL-land only these early French NUS-001 models were even capable of supporting RGB, the other PAL models just had composite and maybe S-video) for the best picture quality; and a transparent purple NTSC-US system that I got when I decided I didn't want to play some of these games in PAL-50 mode with slowdown and black borders all over the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Drakenel posted:

Very may well be, I was just being descriptive is all.
Ah, whoops, I can't read. :downs: I should have been in bed several hours ago.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You could tell the limited edition Majora's Mask carts by the holographic sticker, which I got from Best Buy a week before the release date because my dad signed up for Juno 56k in October 2000. :smug:
I think we just had the gold carts with the regular sticker in Europe. Might be wrong about that, though, I never was a huge fan of MM even though it's obviously a great game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

No Mercy is great, but I've always preferred WCW/nWo Revenge myself because the roster was so good. Playing as all the luchadores was awesome. :allears:

The best AKI wrestling game is the Japan-only, All Japan Pro Wrestling licensed Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, though. It's based on Wrestlemania 2000's engine but adds new gameplay mechanics such as special one-use BURNING FINISHERS (that usually involve your Japanese wrestling man dropping another Japanese wrestling man on his head and trying to kill him) and FIGHTING SPIRIT counters (wrestler gets dropped on his head from a back suplex, completely no-sells it and hits opponent with a massive lariat or something). Even though only the AJPW wrestlers are officially licensed, it has all the famous late 90s guys from NJPW, FMW and such under fake names and appearances that you can edit with the CAW mode, and there's also a bunch of legends and MMA fighters. Such a great game, unfortunately I've only played it on an emulator.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Falken posted:

Who here would spend ages just playing on Surface I or Bunker I/II in Goldeneye when the guards would infinitely spawn?
Runway was the best for this because it had a loving tank. Once I got the all guns, infinite ammo, and invincibility cheats (with the codes, I was never good enough at the game to unlock the cheats legit) and no longer had to worry about running out of health or ammo, I'd spend far too much time blasting the respawning guards and running over them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Did the N64 have any 3D platformers that were more like Crash Bandicoot than Super Mario 64, with an emphasis on getting through linear stages rather than collecting poo poo in massive levels? Even though I'm pretty familiar with the N64 library, I can't think of any platformer on the system that wasn't a Mario 64 ripoff.

Hell, why wasn't there a game that played like the Bowser stages in Mario 64? Those kicked rear end, but there were only three of them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Majora's Mask is one of those games that I really want to like but just can't get into for whatever reason. I've been meaning to sit down and play through it for years now but never get further than the first 3-day cycle. Maybe some day... :smith:

The PAL version does have my absolute favorite N64 box art:

Ocarina of Time's isn't too bad either:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The 360 version of Perfect Dark is the only video game I've played to date that has actually given me motion sickness. I'm not sure how that happened, but I had to stop playing after 30 minutes or so and haven't gone back since. :saddowns:

I played the N64 version for days on end with my friends, and it was completely fine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

MakoPad by InterAct

I own this exact Makopad, as in the exact one in the picture. It's the most recent one Retrogames.co.uk had in stock, and I happened to buy that one.

It's pretty good and surprisingly comfortable (in my hands at least). The buttons aren't quite as good as the ones on the official controller, but the stick is quite nice and I actually prefer using the Makopad for most games nowadays.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I, for one, want an HD version of Body Harvest. Get on that poo poo, Rockstar North. :getin:

• Locked thread