Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bushisms.txt posted:

Never forget.

I still play these games with my brothers and best friend whenever we hang out on random drunken weekends. They never stopped being fun. It always seemed like newer wrestling games had controls that were too complex for their own good, or other nagging issues that just made them not fun overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
By last count, I own 75 N64 games. I got a good number of them really cheap thanks to nobody caring about them for most of the last decade. And back in 2009, Play-Asia still had official Japanese N64 controllers in stock.

They're all still good, mostly because multiplayer sessions involve those wrestling games mentioned earlier. They don't need the control stick except for taunts and specials. Gonna be several years before I worry about all those controller sticks going bad. :smuggo:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I guess this is a good excuse to post my N64 collection, its pretty small but all ~CIB~. One of these day's I'll get that copy of Ogre Battle 64 I wanted as a kid but could never find in stores. I've also got a bunch of boxed NES/Gameboy stuff.

I was never much of a fan of collecting cartridge-based games CIB for Nintendo products, mostly because those cardboard boxes were pretty bad. However, late in the SNES era, I started keeping boxes anyway for some reason, so I have Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island CIB, and most of the N64 games I bought new such as Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, etc.

As for RPGs, I enjoyed the few I played on the SNES, but by the time of the N64, I just kinda stopped caring about them. My brother got a PS1 for Final Fantasy VII, but we didn't enjoy it as much as III/VI. The PS1 was good for single-player endeavors, but we were playing a ton of multiplayer games at the time, and the N64 provided a ton of those.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know, for as much poo poo as Acclaim (rightfully) got for their entire existence, they published quite a few awesome N64 games. Asides from the Turok games and the aforementioned Iggy's Reckin' Balls, there was also the two Bust-A-Move (Puzzle Bobble) games, the Extreme-G games, and Shadow Man.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MeinGott posted:

This is the absolute Greatest Game of all time gently caress you if you don't know this.

It also had the best menu music ever composed.

The create-a-wrestler in No Mercy was pretty good, enough to where you could make reasonable facsimiles of most any wrestler of the time or even earlier. A 4-way ladder match featuring Bruno Sammartino, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, and Verne Gagne? Sure, why not!

Ric Flair what are you doing no stop it

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 4, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Body Harvest is a really unique title because it was made by Rockstar North (the GTA people, back when they were DMA Design) and you can tell they REALLY wanted to make an open-world third-person game but had to work with the N64's limitations. As I recall, the game was supposed to be a launch title for the N64 (or released a few months after launch, I recall reading Nintendo Power articles in 1995/96 previewing the game) and kept getting pushed back (as was the case with many N64 games). What got released was an interesting mix of ideas, concepts and story but was rough as all hell. It wasn't until GTA3 that DMA (soon after bought out and renamed by Rockstar) that they finally nailed the game they clearly wanted to make.

I remember owning a brochure for the N64 before it's launch, and Body Harvest was one of the many games slated to appear around launch. And I remember Nintendo was going to publish the game originally, until they decided to drop for whatever reason.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Purple D. Link posted:

Reviews trashed Doom 64 back in the day? I dunno, maybe me playing the sourceport of it on PC affected my views on it, but I really like it. It's a great slower and more atmospheric take on Doom in my opinion. Which is what I guess they tried with Doom 3 but I think 64 did it better.

The main issue reviewers seemed to have with it at the time was that these new-fangled 3D first-person shooters were coming out such as Quake, and Doom was already looking kind of old compared to not-quite-3D games such as Duke Nukem 3D. I was a huge fan of Doom and Doom-alikes back in the day (and I still am) so I thought Doom 64 was awesome. It's only real flaw was that it was extremely dark, so you had to crank up that in-game brightness level, and possibly even your TV's brightness as well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PacoPepe posted:

If i remember correctly, japanese cartridges only needed you to hack away a couple plastic pieces to make them run on western systems, right?.

Pretty much. The only "region lock" N64 carts had (at least between US and Japanese carts as far as I know, dunno about PAL) was the back half of the cartridge and the two square stubs inside the cartridge port of the console. Those stubs can be just cut away to use any cart. Or, if you had a gamebit to open up the carts, you could swap the back of a Japanese cartridge with that of the back of a US cartridge. I did this with my copy of Sin & Punishment, giving it the back of a copy of Madden 64 I got for $1. I prefer the back-swapping method because it allows the Japanese cart to fit into any unmodified US console.

This Racketboy article goes over both options.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Though, on-topic, I know I've said this before but the thing that sucked about being an N64 owner back in the day was the sheer amount of time in between major releases. It sucked because while your buddies with the PS1 had a game every week, N64 gamers had to wait months for a great game. On launch in September 1996, you had Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 then you had to wait until February for Mario Kart 64 and THEN had to wait until July for Star Fox and a month later for GoldenEye. Ocarina of Time was still over a year away at this point! I agree that the N64 had a lot of great games some considered the best of all time, but god drat, did you have to wait for them and nostalgia seems to forget this a lot.

I was trying to think of games that were out in-between launch and Mario Kart's release in the US, and yeah, I do remember how extremely light the pickings were:

- Mortal Kombat Trilogy (October)
- Wave Race 64 (November)
- Killer Instinct Gold (November)
- Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (November, also the first four-player game)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (December)
- Cruis'n USA (December)

I think the main reason I tolerated those slow times was because I was still getting a lot of mileage out of the 16-bit consoles (and the NES, as I was still hooked on that console even before "retro gaming" became an actual thing). Though I'd say Mario Kart 64 was where the wait between major releases was less annoying, as multiplayer games lasted a long time with my brothers and friends.

• Locked thread