Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Cat Face Joe posted:

Was it someone here who said to swap the Noctifier SF and ML arms? How are you supposed to do that?

Glue the right arm with the ML on the shoulder of the SF model and vice versa?

I don't understand the problem. The models are so old that the joint doesn't have the tabs like the new models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Genghis Cohen posted:

I do take your point, but I put most of that onto the over-keen fans rather than the developers. While it has taken them a while to produce new rules, there are already what, 16 sectorials in Infinity? People immediately seized on one mention in the background (and it's not as if there is that much meat in the Infinity background) then that's fine, but I doubt many people were putting their gaming experience on hold until a certain sectorial gets released.

Oh yeah for sure it's the fans. People need to just enjoy what we have instead of constantly focusing on what's coming.

Pierzak posted:

IIRC the working process was something like "file everything down, pin, score, epoxy glue, done"

I'm equipped for this. Thanks.

Baron Snow posted:

I'm using this an excuse to post that I'm hyped to play my first session of the Infinity RPG tomorrow! My character is a hyper-rich Yu Jing corporate exec, ready to talk his way through anything, or when poo poo hits the fan, don some powered heavy combat armor and hide behind his Yáokòng remote.

It's OK to be hype about this.

Ilor posted:

I'd rather have CB release new sectorials slowly rather then rush them out and have them be wholly unbalanced, game-breaking crap. I mean, I'm dying to play a re-released Shasvastii sectorial, but whatever, I can wait. It's not like I lack for other interesting factions to play.

Agreed but I think SEF should be the first one since so many people have their Shas mothballed.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I am sorry for being excited about something that was announced as coming out for this game, I retract everything.

glad to see you've learned your lesson

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Under 15 posted:

I have played against ninjas quite a bit and agreed that the KHD is the most frightening.

My ninja tips, from experience:

- Take the KHD. Stealth + splitch works great.
- Take the bow. Combi is too many points for someone who is usually dies.
- Ninjas need to be in CC. Don't shoot with your ninja in the active - he is lame and average at shooting, but will insta-kill anything he can get btb with. Invest extra to get him there.
- Since you need to invest in the ninja, reveal him in turn 1 and make him part of your offensive plan. He is too expensive to play defense sitting around in HD.
- Turn 3 ninjas blow. You won't have the orders you need to get them in CC and they are bad at shooting. Don't do it unless the mission rewards it (quadrant control, etc)

I find it the hardest when the ninja KHD turns your flank, re-camouflages, and ends his turn tucked around a corner. In that situation, it takes special tools to get him out and it might not even work, so a lot of times I just have to ignore and deal with it. If you find yourself trying to play defense and shoot with the ninja, I'd take the guilang instead... he has better tools to play that game, like mines and suppressive fire. The ninja's TO camo is nice, but it will never protect him in ARO. his ability to win shooting FTF just isn't there.

I disagree with turn 3 reveal. If the ninja is hidden near a console, you move 1 mm and go "beep boop objective is mine!" in the last turn

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Not a viking posted:

Glue the right arm with the ML on the shoulder of the SF model and vice versa?

I don't understand the problem. The models are so old that the joint doesn't have the tabs like the new models

The weapon arm joints on mine are very different. Maybe they changed the mold. The SF has a tab precursor while the ML has the old dome and divots. They do not line up well.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Is there a way to get the RPG background books without buing the rules?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

The weapon arm joints on mine are very different. Maybe they changed the mold. The SF has a tab precursor while the ML has the old dome and divots. The do not line up well.

Cut it and use a smsll glob og greenstuff to have the joints flush?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Not a viking posted:

Cut it and use a smsll glob og greenstuff to have the joints flush?

That's the plan.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Not a viking posted:

Is there a way to get the RPG background books without buing the rules?

Not exactly. There's a huge chunk of fluff in the core book, and there are going to be faction specific books that are part of the second shipping wave.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I am playing in a 400pt tournament tomorrow. Haven't played Infinity for months. Looks like the first round is Biotechvore. 400pts Biotechvore. :shepface:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Baron Snow posted:

I'm using this an excuse to post that I'm hyped to play my first session of the Infinity RPG tomorrow! My character is a hyper-rich Yu Jing corporate exec, ready to talk his way through anything, or when poo poo hits the fan, don some powered heavy combat armor and hide behind his Yáokòng remote.

Hell yeah. Now that I got my physical core book I have been considering starting a game up locally. I am really interested to hear how it plays.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

Never be hype for anything in this game.

Sorry, more sexy Yu Jing dudes is far too much my jam. Apparently the local club is lousy with Yu Jing too, but I saw two tables of unpainted armies and what is this 40k bullshit.

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I am playing in a 400pt tournament tomorrow. Haven't played Infinity for months. Looks like the first round is Biotechvore. 400pts Biotechvore. :shepface:

That sure sounds like a time to have all the infiltrating/AD dudes

Went to FLGS who were doing their infinity night, organised a 200pt 'learning game'. Got to learn that when you don't watch your backline you get murdered. When your opponent hasn't got a counter to Smoke + MSV lv2 visors feels pretty loving good though.

Bottom half mine, lost Doctor turn one to light flame throwers on the CA CC monster, then pinned him with all the mines.

gently caress your CC24 martial arts lots dude, especially after tanking all the mines.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

That sounds like a circle of hell. I hate biotechvore.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

That sounds like a circle of hell. I hate biotechvore.

I don't, I think a messy and violent game can be a fun change of pace, but there's no question it's a wild card. If I wasn't already familiar with the rules and I walked into a tournament and had it sprung on me I'd be well pissed off. Be a laugh anyway, I took a full link of Massacre and Jaguars, 2 Lunokhods and 2 Morans so hopefully I can make the safe central zone a hell of templates, reactive hacking and exploding bears.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Not a viking posted:

I disagree with turn 3 reveal. If the ninja is hidden near a console, you move 1 mm and go "beep boop objective is mine!" in the last turn

It's not bad, but there are some things to think about...

- You lost out on two orders, and early in the game where they are more important.
- Button pushing just isn't as important in season 9
- if it was something important, a guilang can defend it with mines etc. for cheaper.
- nobody will be surprised by the turn 3 button pusher guy. By turn 3 they have figured out you have a ninja-shaped hole in your list and are ready.

That's why I just said quadrant control missions. HD ninja in the middle who steps into whatever quadrant in perfect safety is really strong, but other than that, hidden ninja doesn't do much to pay the bills.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well, I sepsitorised 4 Riot Grrls in one shot. Think that's GG?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Praying to all gods for the same luck at the nationals next weekend..

:pray:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Good luck bud!!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Well, I sepsitorised 4 Riot Grrls in one shot. Think that's GG?

That is good!

Tournament Report
- Game 1: Biotechvore. Facing Druze Bahram Sectorial. First time playing against them, interesting army. My opponent, who is an experienced tourney player, was probably just trying them out and I don't think they have all the tools of a full army yet, so I probably got off lucky. I went second, I believe he won the roll and chose to go first. Not ideal when you can barely cram all 20 of your close-quarters equipped Nomads behind total cover in a tiny 8" DZ! Critically, my Moran Masai both failed to infiltrate, all 3 of his infiltrators made their rolls! He mostly got out of the bad zone, I was mostly deployed ‘head down’ and didn’t contest it, he did have orders left to kill a couple of my models. In my turn 1 I came at him hard, killing plenty of models (and his Lt, although I didn’t realise that yet). Unfortunately McMurrough was pistoled while busy destroying a remote in CC, or I could have really swept him. I also didn’t clear everything from the zone, and lost some less important models. Direct templates did well for me in one case, but if he hadn't been quite lucky against a HFT in another instance, he would have lost 4 more dudes than he did and completely folded.

This put me badly out of position though, and in turn 2 I lost a lot of models as well. Druze Vet Lvl1 really helped him keep trucking through LoL, as did my sloppy Biotechvore-influenced positioning. Saito Togan did well for him too! Couldn’t really help that, in my turn 2 I got most of the rest of his stuff by aggressively pushing Jaguars. Eventually Ryan had only 3 models left, but he had achieved both his classifieds (worth 3 OPs in this mission since he had more classifieds than me). With the last orders of the game I managed to climb the Intruder Lt onto an overpass and have one burst at his model contesting the HVT, killing it. This got me one classified (1OP) on top of my 3OP for killing more than him. 4-3 Close Victory, 87 points remaining to opponent’s 45. Literally as close a victory as you can get, would have drawn otherwise.

- Game 2: Decapitation. Facing Steel Phalanx. Again I had deployment, with him going first. He took 10 models at 400(!) featuring Achilles, other Achilles, Hector, Ajax, Machaon, and a couple other characters, which while very cool, did not lend itself well to his playstyle. I was a bit scared at first that he would just use a super-loving-hard model as his Datatracker, rush through all AROs, and get my HVT, even though I tried to cover it with guns and Crazy Koalas. That would be 5 OPs in the bag for this mission. As it turned out though, my opponent was not an experienced tournament player or just not very good – with one Enomotarchos link (probably his weakest) deployed in direct sight of my Alguacil link, he chose to use them, twice, moving around out of cover, rather than getting his stronger elements over to help them out. He promptly got his Datatracker and another model killed (admittedly I also won the dice rolls, but it was an unnecessary bad risk on his part) and seemed to mentally give up the game. His efforts to then bring over Achilles/Patroclus’ Duo, or the link including Hector and Ajax, were too late and slowed down by inconclusive Crazy Koalas and Intruder sniping.

In my turn I poured orders into Senor Massacre and his Jaguar Haris, Imm-2-ing Achilles by spec-firing EM grenades (opponent not happy) with about 6 orders, and just managing to reach the HVT and kill him with Senor M, who was my Datatracker. I also started to shoot up his other units. Opponent was pretty much defeated and getting a bit tense, but wasn’t rude or anything. His attempt to kill some ARO pieces and get Ajax into combat floundered, I think he had orders left for one CC swing and a Jaguar beat Ajax anyway. I then had him in a pincer and shot almost everyone before Senor M and his sidekicks slaughtered Ajax in melee. Third turn he just suicided 2 remaining guys. I didn’t really do a third turn, it was 10-0 and the guy wasn’t having any fun. He had a third or so of his points left (Patroclus was still up and Achilles was standing there Imm-2) but I could have wiped him and would have been unlikely to lose any more models. I finished with 400 points, having lost only an Alguacil and a Jaguar, offset by my 20pt baggage bonus. Harsh.

So I was going into game 3 on a major and minor win. 3 blokes had also won twice, they were all on major victories, so it was all still to play for. Of course I played one guy and the other 2 paired off.

- Game 3: Annihilation. Facing Hassassin Bahram. He won the roll and chose deployment, so I chose to go first. I was very lucky that he failed 2 Daylami Inferior Infiltration rolls, to be expected, and 2 Fiday Impersonation/Infiltration rolls, less so! We had similar list styles, and perhaps foolishly, mentally exhausted by the day’s games, I pushed my Intruder sniper against his ARO pieces (using Smoke+MSV2). This paid off against a TR bot and HRL Muyib, but I forgot all link teams’ strengths and tried my luck against a Govad ML. Quite predictably got blown up. Also lost my Alguacil HMG trying it (was out of 32”, poor decision again). Finally put him down but had spent almost all my turn taking out 4 ARO guys. Really should have had some better way of going against that link, I even threw away a Moran Masai in another foolish attempt to shoot a rifle at an HMG guy I should have seen was well out of 16" range.

Luckily he failed a Doctor Plus roll on one of his long range ARO pieces, bad luck, but he started to take the fight back to me with Ghazis, and killed my Alguacil ML as well. I really went hard in the second turn, but just ran out of steam with Senor Massacre and his Haris team. This resulted in that forward element all getting killed in round 2. Ghazis really held me up. Probably could have played it more cleverly. His Farzans then revealed themselves and punished me model-wise, but it was mostly cheaper stuff dying. I think we both were a bit stuck in this game. Subsequently he said to me that he felt on the back foot the whole time, and I always felt I couldn't quite push my attacks home.

At around this point we learned the other top table had drawn - a good firm win could put me first, and any win would do so for my opponent! All to play for, come on!

My third turn, I cleared up a couple Farzans with my remaining Intruder, flubbed the combat drop on a Hellcat which might have got me a better result and Regenerated Massacre for a hail mary at his Datatracker. Lost the FtF unfortunately. My oppo spent his last turn healing a couple models, making back most of the difference in our surviving points. This made it a draw. 4-4, 260 points remaining to opponent’s 243. A bloody slog of a game, I don’t think I played it that well but it could have gone much worse against a canny opponent and strong army.

- Tournament Results: Came 7th of 14, which I was a little disappointed by. No-one went 3-0, my final opponent and the others who won 2 drew 1, finished in places 1-3, since theirs were major wins. Fair enough, but I was also behind 3 other people who won 2 lost 1. This really shows how big an impact it has to score those high objective points. Not bad lessons learned, I just need to play in more events. This was the first time I've played for maybe 6 months. I've booked into 1 event a month for the next few, so hopefully I'll get back into the groove.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This is kind of a crappy picture, but I couldn't find any good angle for it. This is one of my favorite models in infinity.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
HMC gonna destroy anyone who wants to start poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sounds good Genghis, do you have a list of faction breakdown by scores?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry, no, although I know the three top places were Acontecimento, Onyx Contact Force and Hassassin Bahram, in that order.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sounds like a good day mate, we tend not to see Hassasins here very often, good to see them getting some tournament prep. The SP list sounds a bit poo poo though i won't lie.

WIP WIP WIP

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
We've got some super strong HB players in Aus, I think they wound up with 2 or 3 of the top spots at the nationals last year. Thankfully they're going back to vanilla this year.. but I've seen a lot of Tarik posted in the lead up.

Them combined are coming along very nice. How do you find the citadel handles?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The green on the base really helps the Pneumarch pop.

Speaking of Aus, anyone going to cancon this weekend, apparently it's a big thing in australia's infinity scene?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yep, I'll be there with my bright yellow CA. It's the main tourney for the year, and the only sattelite tourney in Aus. There'll be about 60 people in the main 5 round event and they're also running a 3 round narrative event in the evening with similair numbers. Really solid prize support, too.

Also going to be mid 30s and in a giant shed with no A/C :madmax:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Sounds like a good day mate, we tend not to see Hassasins here very often, good to see them getting some tournament prep. The SP list sounds a bit poo poo though i won't lie.

(Ref steel phalanx list) D'y'know, I was rather taken with the idea, especially for the mission. 11 orders, can't be docked by command tokens, could have gone straight from the 16" DZ straight for my HVT and then my lt. both his lt and data tracker could have been incredibly tough, mobile models, and his list was 3 links rather than 10 individuals.

It just came down to how he played it. Poor deployment choices and really bad attempt to get out of it, but to be brutally honest, if we had swapped positions just after deployment I think I could have beaten him.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Yep, I'll be there with my bright yellow CA. It's the main tourney for the year, and the only sattelite tourney in Aus. There'll be about 60 people in the main 5 round event and they're also running a 3 round narrative event in the evening with similair numbers. Really solid prize support, too.

Also going to be mid 30s and in a giant shed with no A/C :madmax:

Yeah nah gently caress that. Too many summer 40k tourneys in old halls with lovely fans to do that again.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Has anyone found a source for coloured base rings or something along those lines to mark fireteam membership? Would be useful, especially for my Tohaa, and less fiddly than tokens lingering by the models.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Customeeple do some iirc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

warsen.al has two kinds that might work. LoF markers and status discs.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

https://its.infinitythegame.com/challenge/b4ckd00r-crisis

This is spectacularly dumb. Whichever faction (except CA and Tohaa) loses this challenge will lose access to one of their named characters for a "period of time". So either people will lose their minds or it doesn't mean poo poo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hey, cool, I love eating poo poo because of factors entirely beyond my control, and don't get enough of that in my daily life already.

I wonder if this is the thing Bostria was talking about that would have people up in arms, because drat if this isn't an obvious bad idea.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The losing characters bit is something warcors railed against too. I don't see many events enforcing it.

I am completely immune to this
Eat poo poo Humies

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The possible outcome from a player's standpoint are:

- nothing
- pointless bad thing done by CB
- pointless really bad thing done by CB
- pointless monumental fuckup done by CB gently caress you guys you're worse than GW$ I'm leaving this game!1!uno

Seriously, I can't think of anything they could gain from it. Any potential hype will not equal 1/10 of the bitching not from one faction, but most of them. And whichever faction wins, they get a massive loss of player goodwill. What the gently caress, CB.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seems like creating a cool new character would be a much better and more sensible reward that people would actually get excited to play for. All it would take is releasing a special character from an upcoming book they are planning on anyway ahead of schedule.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Seems like creating a cool new character would be a much better and more sensible reward that people would actually get excited to play for. All it would take is releasing a special character from an upcoming book they are planning on anyway ahead of schedule.
I know right? Or even more of those specific future-sectorial army lists. Costs pretty much nothing, easily balanced, hints at what's to come, generates hype, does not make people feel shat upon.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flipswitch posted:

The losing characters bit is something warcors railed against too. I don't see many events enforcing it.

I am completely immune to this
Eat poo poo Humies

The big thing would be if they actually made it so that your lists would be rejected by the ITS system if they had a "banned" character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

The big thing would be if they actually made it so that your lists would be rejected by the ITS system if they had a "banned" character.
To give people even more incentive to ditch their lovely system and play their own leagues?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread