Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

So, is this still true? I've just played my first match in the training grounds and had lots of fun sneaking faeries in my opponent's backyard and pouncing bear cubs over his champions to contest Nora fonts.

Related questions: which faction has more sneaking guys? And how does contesting fonts work exactly? Is enough to place a single hero in the capture zone?

Edited the original post to reflect the fact that this is no longer true. It's still difficult to get into the game, both because getting cards for free is a bit more difficult than most f2p games and because the learning curve is outrageous, but it is waaaaay better than it was when I posted that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
LP inspired me to pick this back up. Apped guild as Ihlmarin.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

If you're gonna troll the pox forums Reg the least you could do is use the doltos sig come on.

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Sidpret posted:

If you're gonna troll the pox forums Reg the least you could do is use the doltos sig come on.

I think he's doing a bangup job even without it.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

In as Numerrik, the LP brought me in, how do I get signed up with the guild?

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

numerrik posted:

I honestly can't remember. My guess is that you mouse over 'my account' in the top right and it will say something about guilds and look for PoxGoons, but I could be wrong.

edit: turns out you can send invites, who knew? So I sent you one.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

numerrik posted:

I accepted you. You'll have to relog the client to see guild chat.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I'm giving today's goon poster of the day award to Iodomy, because all the gently caress skeez talk made me laugh.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Making my first deck, these are my picks for bats, but I am also down for turts, owls, witches, mermaids (if possible my budget), or any other fun themes. I have about 260k to play with in tradeables.

Lance Admiral Sceian
2x Voil Jester
2x Voil Sorcerer
2x Voil Stormflyer
2x Voil Imperialist
2x Firebomber
2x Voil Skyhowler
2x Voil Conqueror
2x Rock Trap
2x Echo Chamber
2x Lightning Storm

numerrik fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 9, 2014

Nique
May 18, 2006

I would try something like this at first:

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C3ncq4CoUciVCgJC2ZctLCgFC5nCwHs1ks6ks3tS82r2Yr16r=R2ZrOe1Qe1j

It runs more champs than I normally would, and is rare at the highest rarity.

It's also got diamond mace in which I consider bad and would remove once you're more familiar with pox, but will help when you're starting out.

Voil King Crypt is also good, but it's not super easy to get good value from in as a beginner.

You could also make a dirt cheap ST frost deck: http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C4vChdChaCpdC85C3wC1=C4qcons7KS7@s19SMS2LS13sNrwrI

Nique fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 9, 2014

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Signed up for the game and the guild, thanks for giving me yet another money-sink, Yapo :suicide:

Applied as Fanzay.
:sidvicious:

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Forgotton posted:

Tips

• Nora globes are worth 15% of the destroyed champion unless modified by abilities.
  • Nora generation each turn is 12 nora per font and 45 nora for the shrine unless transfigured, then it is 25 nora.
  • If at all possible, always try to one round you opponents champions. This typically means focus fire.
  • When starting out, a good general practice is to never use a spell unless you are going to kill a champ with it.
  • Contesting Fonts is important but if you sacrifice too many units it could cost you the game.
  • Until you have a better grasp of the game it is always better to drop another champion then playing a spell.
  • Your turn timer is 1:45 (2:00 in 2v2), this means you need to spend the opposing player's turn reading the
    abilities of their champions and planning your turn until you get the hang of what units will be doing what.
  • You don't have to be constrained to a theme in a faction, but some themes synergize very well and are better as a whole.
  • While in game, hitting G twice will bring up a grid on the map. Make sure you don't type it in to the chat box.
  • Try and refine your deck by cutting out things that you never end up using or ask some goons to suggest alternative champions that can perform multiple jobs.
  • When constructing a BG try to have no less then 15 champs and generally no more then 18.
  • Every faction has a banner relic that comes with a purchase of an avatar. They are auto includes in any Full Faction BG.
  • Champions move based on their speed and action points (ap), at the beginning of each round you gain ap equal to your speed and can store ap up to 4 above your speed value, the basic attack chain is 3ap, 5ap, 8ap, 11ap which means outside of some major intereference 2 attacks per round at most.

Since we have some guild noobs, quoting this because it is a really good list of tips.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Inspired design quotes

Nique
May 18, 2006

Dagda knows the score

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/lightning.3146/

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Nique posted:

Inspired design quotes

I wonder if this means champs like Marsh Gargantua will cost less then they currently do, being as with the ability and utility of them is so minimal that they aren't run anymore that surely they should cost less, right?

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Holy gently caress when is this revamp going to happen?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

6 months +/- a year.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CpPCofCoOChyCpDcoiC6wCd1S6Zs1Ysls7Hs4-sPs87sKS5prHrZe3i

I mean, it could work right?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably lose to it, yeah.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Where's the fallen magnus

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

KyloWinter posted:

Where's the fallen magnus

Yeah. He doesn't really have an obvious fit but he's just good so that could work. I was worried that all my champs were too loving expensive though. I'm going to but together a pb bench for a variant Iod and I talked about - where you use decay and then either soul reave or bombs/non-attacks.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Sidpret posted:

Yeah. He doesn't really have an obvious fit but he's just good so that could work. I was worried that all my champs were too loving expensive though. I'm going to but together a pb bench for a variant Iod and I talked about - where you use decay and then either soul reave or bombs/non-attacks.

I am not to sure about this bg. You will be spending a ton on champs to deploy and then spending more nora on things that don't kill champs. Look really interesting though and I would like to see how it plays.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Revamp preview 5 hit and apparently they're closing in on the testing part.

Get to your shelters, this preview is Literally poo poo.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Link please

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Captain Farce posted:

Revamp preview 5 hit and apparently they're closing in on the testing part.

Get to your shelters, this preview is Literally poo poo.

If only someone had predicted it would cause us to go back to the old days of using x# melee beaters and other lovely, limited role champs...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Actually it doesn't really look like that at all. All the melee they have shown has been awful. The only exception was IS, of course.

Maybe the ranged is even worse and we're in for the era of the super support champ.

feller fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 21, 2014

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Well they've also shown us ranged in the form of Augur, who's only getting a tiny tap. We could be looking at an era where only ranged + support is worth running, or maybe an era where only FS/IS are worth...oh.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Just saw this on the pox forums, possibly useful for any newgoons:

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/common-and-uncommon-only-battlegroups.2497/

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Of course Magnus barely got tapped too so some melee will be ok maybe.

Also Clops Ritualist got nerfed and costs like 4 nora more than their revamped augur. Whoa wait a minute guys I'm having a moment. What if using a formula to cost champs is just a completely arbitrary method that's really no different from eyeballing a champ and choosing a cost that feels right.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sid or Zoiks tell me on Steam when the revamp actually rolls around. Steam tag: einlaizer.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Just for the oldgoons, a script somebody made for the runeforge.

http://forums.poxnora.desertowlgames.com/index.php?threads/primitive-bulk-sacrifice-script.1589/

namad
Nov 7, 2013
It sounds like they've got a lot of work to do left on balancing the revamp. I think the point of the previews was to show off the new ui and the new way in which abilities would work, they're probably still planning to do some balance passes over that stuff.

Ranged has sort of almost always been a bit OP, with the only melee champions worth running being ridiculous ones (or ones that just had ranged abilities anyways and so weren't really so much dedicated melee champions but best of both worlds champions who could harass at range OR fight it out while engaged)... basically... my stance on the matter is... they can't loving do any worse than sony, so even if they gently caress up bad it'll still be an improvement.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Why do you jerks never want to play vs me anymore ;(

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!

Nique posted:

Why do you jerks never want to play vs me anymore ;(

You say this as you champion The rear end in a top hat's Deck of Choice.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Not versus any goonbros though!

Admittedly that deck is filthy, although there are worse.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
loving 3rd shift is killing me (10pm-6am EST). But drunken pox will always remain the best past time. I won the most epic game of my career against constructs where I had to pop my avatar. I also lost the most humiliating game of my life to a random UC league scrub. Morning pox is like a box of chocolates: You never know what random scrub you will lose to.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Same, except my box is filled with dogshit because I will always lose.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Some Octopi Idiot posted:

From a design standpoint Wish is extremely broken and overpowered as a spell

O.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!

The Future posted:

From a player standpoint the new carouse/brew is extremely broken and overpowered as an ability/equipment

I peer into my crystal ball :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

To be fair, maybe Wish is really OP in uncommon league, where all the devs play.

• Locked thread