Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Looking forward to this Lets Play. I've jumped onto SS13 a couple times but, as many have said, it's got a killer of a learning curve for certain activities. Regardless, it has a great game underneath said curve and with some more effort I'm sure I can break into it.

I would love to see a Janitor run, as they tend to be the most laughter inducing. Preferably a janitor who is bound by honor to clean all messes, regardless of substance or location. Security or livelihood be damned, there's a mess to clean!

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This seems like an utterly mad mash-up of the Ultima 6 engine with even more random crap applied and a game of Mafia in which everyone has ceased caring who the killers are--including the killers.

I, too, would like to see an obsessively cleanly janitor run, doubly so if you happen to draw a villain role.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This seems like an utterly mad mash-up of the Ultima 6 engine with even more random crap applied and a game of Mafia in which everyone has ceased caring who the killers are--including the killers.

I, too, would like to see an obsessively cleanly janitor run, doubly so if you happen to draw a villain role.

Yeah, "Mafia in space, only all of the villagers are insane and looking for an excuse, and the mafia also might be The Thing" is usually how I pitch the game to newcomers.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Looking forward to this Lets Play. I've jumped onto SS13 a couple times but, as many have said, it's got a killer of a learning curve

"Oh boy I'm traitor! Oh look, there's another traitor running amok on the station. Hey do you want to tea- oh you're gonna stuff me in the furnace, that's fine I guess." :negative:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Ah, yes, Space Station 13. I remember playing this game many years ago, back when starting the engine was just throwing a plasma bomb into some canister and exploding it, and everyone wanted to be an Engineer for the easy access to the super secret hidden revolver. Also, the starting locker room with so many shoes scattered everywhere.

I always wanted to get into Goonstation, but there's so much to relearn. Looking forward to experiencing it all through your videos!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Daeren posted:

Yeah, "Mafia in space, only all of the villagers are insane and looking for an excuse,

The last time I got straight traitor, I immediately ran to the Head of Personnel to see if I could get my ID upgraded for shenanigans. Someone had gotten there before me and was asking for an all access ID. The HoP asked the applicant what it was worth to them. Applicant points at me and says, "I'll kill this guy."

"Sounds good."

Less than five minutes into the round, a traitor was dead and stuffed into a trash can without anyone ever knowing the truth. ~*SS13*~

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, went in and gave things a try on the two Goonstation servers. I managed to learn a couple of things.

One, being in Australia did not sit well with the servers, which caused me to fly down hallways instead of taking single steps. :sweatdrop:

Two, it's not terribly satisfying to walk off the shuttle, stumble around a few turns and get ambushed by a changling spitting acid in your face. :cripes:

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, went in and gave things a try on the two Goonstation servers. I managed to learn a couple of things.

One, being in Australia did not sit well with the servers, which caused me to fly down hallways instead of taking single steps. :sweatdrop:

Two, it's not terribly satisfying to walk off the shuttle, stumble around a few turns and get ambushed by a changling spitting acid in your face. :cripes:

Yeah, those are things that happen.

Changelings are always carousing the arrival shuttle because a lot of people join and then go AFK, so it's a free meal for them. Keep at it, you'll figure things out eventually. Always have the wiki open in another window so you can refer to it for how to do things.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I just gave this a try for the first time yesterday, so this LP is very well-timed for me. (I actually learned a few things from the first video!) So thanks!

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
It always looked too complex and chaotic to me - one of things I need to view vicariously to enjoy all the glorious madness going on, so looking forward to this.

Watched a couple of VLPs but they didn't tend to explain much and thought they were more witty than they actually were :)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yeah, this isn't happening. :sweatdrop: The lag is just way, way too terrible to work with.

Still, looking forward to seeing what shenanigans Razage gets up to. :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yeah, this isn't happening. :sweatdrop: The lag is just way, way too terrible to work with.

If it makes you feel better, there's a remake being made which might possibly have less intrinsic lag, which would trickle down to you enjoying less apparent lag.

Also, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-JPH5SOmI

This LP looks like it's gonna be fun. People who are looking to start playing need to remember one thing. Apart from the already-mentioned stuff about lag and learning curves, a "typical" round does not go how you think it will. You will almost never get to do your job from the start of the round, to the end of the round. Rolling with the punches and playing along, at least partially, will generally net you more "fun" than shutting yourself away in your workspace.

As for ideas for jobs and tasks, here's one: Be the captain. Announce to the station that it's your birthday, and you wish to throw a small party in the bar. Tell the crew you will let them know when the party will start. Then, use your authority and access within the station to order a frighteningly large number of party crates, and have them delivered to said bar. Announce the start of the party, and see what happens.

The last time I tried that, the bar filled with people, drink were had, food was served, everything was spiked, everyone got hiiiiigh as poo poo on everything, fighting broke out, and then the shuttle got called, but I was too drunk to do anything but scream slurred insults at everyone as they left my party without saying goodbye. Overall, probably the best outcome I could have hoped for as captain.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I like this version better. It uses assets from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

neogeo0823 posted:

People who are looking to start playing need to remember one thing. Apart from the already-mentioned stuff about lag and learning curves, a "typical" round does not go how you think it will. You will almost never get to do your job from the start of the round, to the end of the round. Rolling with the punches and playing along, at least partially, will generally net you more "fun" than shutting yourself away in your workspace.

This is very true. So far, a few things that have happened to me just playing as a janitor in different rounds:

1) Some dude knocked me down and farted on my head for about three screenfuls. When I tried to retaliate, several other members of the crew stopped me. I eventually figured out that things like this were just some peoples' way of saying hello to the janitor.
2) I was innocently cleaning the medbay when I came across a massacre in genetics. There was an intact body around, but nobody who should actually have been running the machines seemed to have survived. So I went ahead and chucked the guy into the machine, used the wiki to figure out how to resurrect him, and then let the machine run while I cleaned all the bloodstains off of the floor. (Note: if you are a janitor, by the end of the round 90% of what you are cleaning up will be bloodstains, assuming you haven't become one.) It probably behooves you to learn a little bit about the other jobs in case things like this happen.
3) The captain berated me for making the floors wet, incapacitated me, and dragged me off to security. Only, halfway there, he grabbed my radio, diverted into a maintenance hall, murdered me with his purple lightsaber, and stuffed my corpse into a locker. At the end of the game, it turned out he had a mission to assassinate me, because I guess the Syndicate hates wet floors too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yapping Eevee posted:

Are you out in the bush/far from your local exchange? I generally do alright ping-wise in most rounds. Also the correct way to play as the Janitor is as follows;

- Place a sign.

- Mop floor (whether it's dirty or not is your choice. Chances are you're gonna get your mop bucket stolen anyway)

- Point at placed sign and use the *sigh emote when someone slips on the wet floor.

- Move on to next spot/Get beaten unconscious and have your mop bucket spaced.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The best way I can wrap my head around this game is that it's a more freeform version of The Ship or Bloody Good Time, with a lot more to do and a greater potential for chaos.

Basically I'm pumped for this game and will be following the thread. :toot:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Yapping Eevee posted:

One of the more amusing tidbits about SS13 is the comment that the creator of BYOND had about it. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something to the affect of, "Wow, that is amazing. It's a loving miracle it compiles at all."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The code has been known to make grown men weep tears of blood and fire at the horrific sprawl before them.

To give an example of the BYOND-y bugs we've gotten, one round the job controller - the bit that lets you pick jobs on joining - somehow deleted itself and grabbed the next active list in memory to rewrite itself. This happened to be a bunch of random code from the genetics stuff, which meant the only two jobs available to pick from were labeled "G" and "C", but you'd never see that because opening the job panel crashed the program. The frightening part is that this happened and somehow affected nothing else. No warnings came up, no cascading problems, no "Hey, this makes no loving sense, let's reset this," it just sorta happened. It took us like half a round to notice it and figure out what happened.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Or my favorite recent example, as explained by Cogwerks:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It briefly was possible to make chemsmoke from burning items, but this lead to a server-crashing infinite reaction when someone brought cheese into a chlorine trifluoride party.

Trifluoride set a single piece of cheese on fire.
Cheese contains cheese reagent. Cheese smoke poured out of the burning cheese.
Cheese smoke makes cheese items wherever it hits.
The trifluoride foam or smoke or whatever was still present, and set the couple dozen new pieces of cheese on fire.
Each one released another cloud of cheese smoke - creating more cheese - which caught on fire again - which released even more cheese smoke - which created even more cheese - which killed the server dead as heck

Yeah, that got patched out pretty darn quick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like some of the wonderful bugs you can find in the changelog:

quote:

Wednesday, November 28th, 2012

AngriestIBM
    The new plant seeds weren't showing up because I accidentally added them to the wrong seed vendor in the code.
    Because there are two functionally identical but separate seed vendors defined.
    Maybe by hitler.
    Maybe I'm going to kill myself.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If we are making comparisons, I would compare SS13 to a multiplayer Dwarf Fortress, complete with moods, and set in space.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Is it better to learn this via wikis or trying things until you die in stupid ways? I can see the appeal of active self-education, but the side effect of apparently frequent death is itself not very appealing.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

DentedLamp posted:

Is it better to learn this via wikis or trying things until you die in stupid ways? I can see the appeal of active self-education, but the side effect of apparently frequent death is itself not very appealing.

Use the wiki for the love of God

It has the rules and general things-not-to-do so we heavily encourage reading it, and most every expectation for jobs isn't actually communicated in the game itself. Read the rules, then the job list, then look up anything you have a question about if mentorhelp's not getting you an answer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't seen much of the game since the original goonstations, it's weird to see all the stuff like space drugs and clowns and everything from the base game, where every role was straight forward and relatively grounded, and the insanity came from goons seeing what they could get away with. Like setting loose the unquenchable fires of the engine to purge the station of life, or seeing how many people one could weld into a locker.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I gave your LP channel a shout-out on the official @spacestation13 twitter, so you have to keep making these videos now! Also please follow us if you enjoy the game. We mostly give updates on the Standalone SS13 Remake, but occasionally point out cool goings on with BYOND SS13.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey, guess what? I managed to get a reasonably less laggy session today. Spawned as traitor. Gave self fake moustache by accident. Spawned the other Staff Assistant item, played around with it. Got nabbed by a Security Officer and the ship's detective in short order, interrogated by the extremely drunk detective and thrown in the brig for a three-way traitor deathmatch. :psyduck:

If only I'd known how to throw punches. This game is still amazing. More videos, more!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

If only I'd known how to throw punches. This game is still amazing. More videos, more!

Hey, that's still progress isn't it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, guess what? I managed to get a reasonably less laggy session today. Spawned as traitor. Gave self fake moustache by accident. Spawned the other Staff Assistant item, played around with it. Got nabbed by a Security Officer and the ship's detective in short order, interrogated by the extremely drunk detective and thrown in the brig for a three-way traitor deathmatch. :psyduck:

Switch your intent from the green fist (help) to the red fist (harm) and start clicking on anyone that isn't you. If you click yourself, you'll hit yourself. If you're holding something in your active hand, be it a toolbox, a crowbar, or even just a pair of shoes, you'll hit with that instead of your fist. Also set your target (the little image of a person with an area in red) to the head or eyes. It increases your chance of knocking your target out. Disarm (the yellow fist intent) can also worth using because one of the possibilities is to knock your opponent down rather than disarm them.

For completion's sake; the orange fist is grab. Click on someone adjacent to you once to grab them by the hand, twice to reinforce the grip, click madly a few more times (due to lag) to grab their throat (you'll get messages in the text log describing each grab). Once you're grabbing by the throat, the hand you're grabbing with will show the word "disarm". Click that icon until it turns bright flashing red with the word "KILL". Then simply wait and taunt your opponent while he suffocates by your hand :unsmigghh:. If you're a changeling, then once the icon says "KILL", you can now click "absorb victim" in the Changeling tab to start draining your hapless meal.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 3, 2013

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I started playing last night after getting interested by this LP.

My first game, I was minding my own business in a dark scary room when some nice fellow chopped me to bits with a glowy sword of doom. Then a friendly geneticist dragged me down to almost clone me, and that was going fine and dandy until someone's PDA exploded and covered the room in gibs.

I think I'm gonna like this game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Switch your intent from the green fist (help) to the red fist (harm) and start clicking on anyone that isn't you. If you click yourself, you'll hit yourself. If you're holding something in your active hand, be it a toolbox, a crowbar, or even just a pair of shoes, you'll hit with that instead of your fist. Also set your target (the little image of a person with an area in red) to the head or eyes. It increases your chance of knocking your target out. Disarm (the yellow fist intent) can also worth using because one of the possibilities is to knock your opponent down rather than disarm them.

For completion's sake; the orange fist is grab. Click on someone adjacent to you once to grab them by the hand, twice to reinforce the grip, click madly a few more times (due to lag) to grab their throat (you'll get messages in the text log describing each grab). Once you're grabbing by the throat, the hand you're grabbing with will show the word "disarm". Click that icon until it turns bright flashing red with the word "KILL". Then simply wait and taunt your opponent while he suffocates by your hand :unsmigghh:. If you're a changeling, then once the icon says "KILL", you can now click "absorb victim" in the Changeling tab to start draining your hapless meal.

As an example of the grab intent, I used it to grab Yap Veeson by the throat in order to use him as a human shield against an onslaught of laser fire.

Sorry guy! v:shobon:v

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Robusting Protip: If your active hand is empty and you toggle the throw button, you'll automatically catch any item thrown at you instead of taking the hit*

*If the velocity of the thrown object is too high, your entire arm will come off. Catching bullets is unproven and is not recommended.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Supernorn posted:

Robusting Protip: If your active hand is empty and you toggle the throw button, you'll automatically catch any item thrown at you instead of taking the hit*

*If the velocity of the thrown object is too high, your entire arm will come off. Catching bullets is unproven and is not recommended.
You could frame this post and it would already be a more enticing ad than 90% of videogame adverts out there. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Lovely Senorita posted:

As an example of the grab intent, I used it to grab Yap Veeson by the throat in order to use him as a human shield against an onslaught of laser fire.

Sorry guy! v:shobon:v
No worries. All's fair in love, war and traitor deathmatches. :)

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Too add to this. If the target you intend on punching is wearing a mask or helmet you'll be better off punching them in their ding-dong.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Supernorn posted:

That's completely unrealistic. If catching bullets rip arms off than shooting bullets would too.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Dusseldorf posted:

That's completely unrealistic. If catching bullets rip arms off than shooting bullets would too.
Maybe, but it's funny so who cares :v:

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Supernorn posted:

I gave your LP channel a shout-out on the official @spacestation13 twitter, so you have to keep making these videos now! Also please follow us if you enjoy the game. We mostly give updates on the Standalone SS13 Remake, but occasionally point out cool goings on with BYOND SS13.

Thanks, this is proving to be more popular then I anticipated!

Yapping Eevee posted:

My plan is to post around 2 - 3 videos per week, and I should be able to get one up tomorrow barring unforeseen circumstances. I think you guys will like it.

Also, I'm going to put this in the OP but I completely forgot to give you guys that link to the tickets and fines log: http://craftools.com/goonstationhub/tickets

Basically what this is: The Security Officers and Heads of the Station can issue a ticket or fine to a member of the crew or pretty much anything for any reason. These are often very hilarious. Let it tide you over in between videos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should I know who (or what) this officer Beepsky is, that some of those tickets refer to?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ciaphas posted:

Should I know who (or what) this officer Beepsky is, that some of those tickets refer to?

BEEPSKY IS THE LAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Ciaphas posted:

He's an automated security droid. If you're on his poo poo list he'll stun and handcuff you. He's also difficult to get away from and is relentless. The guard buddies are like Beepsky but have a few more options, they are also pretty relentless. You can lose them by going into space or being on the other side of the station, but that's about your only hope of getting away from them.

Beepsky will generally arrest you if you whip out a gun and aren't a sec officer, or if someone's used a traitor item called a cryptographic sequencer on him, then he arrests everyone.

• Locked thread