Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I started playing last night after getting interested by this LP.

My first game, I was minding my own business in a dark scary room when some nice fellow chopped me to bits with a glowy sword of doom. Then a friendly geneticist dragged me down to almost clone me, and that was going fine and dandy until someone's PDA exploded and covered the room in gibs.

I think I'm gonna like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Hands are fine and a staple of the genre. The intent system is strange and would be better served by expanding the context menus, like in The Sims or something.

The biggest barrier seems to be in the nonsensical variation of whether or not dragging does anything, or if you need to click instead.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Too bad you sound rude anyway.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

You could use Creative Commons music.

http://freemusicarchive.org/genre/Ambient/ <--- load some of these into a playlist and go.

Are a lot of them terrible? Sure. But who cares... there's thousands of songs and nobody's really paying that much attention to the music anyway.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

generate 100x what the station needs and spit fire and lightning all over the room.

Like the other day when the chief engineer set up the engine and the screen on the generator started blinking with a picture of a mushroom cloud on the screen. "Don't worry about it. It just gets angry when you run it so hard." It exploded and took out a fair chunk of the surrounding structure a few minutes later.

Then I got fed into a crusher.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Hack EVERYTHING in the station. Leave no access panel screwed on.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I am so bad at chemistry in game. I think the problem is exactly what the wiki says: I'm overthinking it. For the record, I'm glad we live in a universe where tossing hydrogen (in a beaker?), oxygen, and sulfur together in one beaker doesn't actually magically make sulfuric acid.

edit: Phlogiston foam is not as effective a murder tool as I expected.

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 8, 2013

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

It's worth noting that NASA did design a space-station level nuclear power plant once. It was of a binary cycle molten salt/mercury design.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690014329_1969014329.pdf

In order to effectively radiate heat from the reactor, the cold loop has to be really really high temperature, since radiative heat transfer scales as T to the fourth power and it's a hell of a lot easier to get more T than it is to get more A. Dumping heat in space is really lovely and difficult. Don't go to space, kids.

The fun part about the design is that, well... mercury doesn't wet steel. In order to get around this, they had to use tantalum tubing. Tantalum is rare, hard to get at, and is a limited resource (at least at current usage levels). So yeah, there's that. Also it was heavy, ~4700 kg.

All that for a measly 37 kW of electrical output at 6.9% net efficiency. For reference, that's about as much juice as a 1L Geo Metro puts out (on a good day).

Generating power in space really sucks.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

I liked Voyager's solution of taking a block of plutonium and slapping a thermoelectric on it sunk to the body of the probe. One of the popular method for generating power in spy satellites which can't have solar panels are betaelectric (as opposed to photoelectric) cells which are basically solar cells but instead of for photons they absorb beta radiation from an emitter sent up with the craft.

RTGs are great, but they typically produce fractions of a kW and to get more oomph out of them you need a huge surface area for the cold side, as they are pretty low grade heat sources.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Seriously. I played a round as Medical Doctor recently during which I was able to save like six super dying peoples' lives just by walking up to them with a medkit. One shot of epinephrine, a couple of patches, and the person is up and about enough to seek longer-term treatment independently.

I got gassed one round with sarin, and the jackasses in medical kept jabbing me with epinephrine until, presumably, my heart exploded... despite my repeated statements of "atropine you fuckkssssss". It was great.

Atropine!

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

HenryEx posted:

"Haha, look at him, he thinks he knows more than a doctor. The gas must have gotten to him. Nurse, prepare another 500g of epinephrine."

Preeeeetty much. I was convinced that the medical bay were all traitors until the end of the round, when I realized no, they were just stupid.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Repeat after me: "If someone gets sarin'd, administer atropine". ATROPINE. NOT EPINEPHRINE.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

nimby posted:

Hah, another gimmick run for Razage:

Play as Dr. House, M.D. and refuse to give anyone medicine without a differential diagnosis. Then experiment on the patient to see which drug will work!

"It's never Sarin."

MagicBoots posted:

I think that may have been me, sorry. If it's any consolation I wasn't a doctor I was the Janitor.

Don't worry, I thought it was hilarious.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Anyone who actually gets mad from being murdered in SS13 is an idiot, as getting murdered is one of the most fun things in the game in a sick way.

I phlogiston-foam-suicided in the medbay to take out a target a couple days ago and died horribly in the blaze, but my target did not. As I was drifting around as a ghost (2spooky!) I watched his zany antics trying to find me and he got kind of upset when he was told I was dead... so he sent me to genetics to get cloned.

Lo and behold, he manages to die somehow, but I feel bad about him not dying by my hand, so I stick him in the cloner. The shuttle arrives and he's dragged to the shuttle before he's quite ready, but there I am, holding his ID, and I suicide with phlogiston foam again. Somehow he manages to survive the round, but the captain, HoP, and a few others were taken out in the blaze. I love it.

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 11, 2013

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Cool, then don't look it up on the wiki, it's kind of weird that you want to actively hinder player advancement. No-one should be telling anyone "This is how to play the game," that makes it not-fun. If you want to experiment, then experiment, but don't make those who don't want too invest the time in it, or have fun doing other things be hindered because you like to play a certain way. (The collective you, not you in particular.)

If you don't want to do research in the game, don't play a Scientist.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Silly Razage, a "natural" 20 is when you roll a straight 20 with no modifier! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

More fun religious facts: this is a real thing real monks and clerics have actually done, known as 'mortification of the flesh.' It's a form of ascetic penance; famous practitioners include Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Catherine of Sienna, and Saint Ignatius Loyola. Look it up, it has an interesting history. :catholic:

Along with the associated brain damage! :v:

• Locked thread