Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yeah, this isn't happening. :sweatdrop: The lag is just way, way too terrible to work with.

Still, looking forward to seeing what shenanigans Razage gets up to. :allears:

If it makes you feel better, there's a remake being made which might possibly have less intrinsic lag, which would trickle down to you enjoying less apparent lag.

Also, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-JPH5SOmI

This LP looks like it's gonna be fun. People who are looking to start playing need to remember one thing. Apart from the already-mentioned stuff about lag and learning curves, a "typical" round does not go how you think it will. You will almost never get to do your job from the start of the round, to the end of the round. Rolling with the punches and playing along, at least partially, will generally net you more "fun" than shutting yourself away in your workspace.

As for ideas for jobs and tasks, here's one: Be the captain. Announce to the station that it's your birthday, and you wish to throw a small party in the bar. Tell the crew you will let them know when the party will start. Then, use your authority and access within the station to order a frighteningly large number of party crates, and have them delivered to said bar. Announce the start of the party, and see what happens.

The last time I tried that, the bar filled with people, drink were had, food was served, everything was spiked, everyone got hiiiiigh as poo poo on everything, fighting broke out, and then the shuttle got called, but I was too drunk to do anything but scream slurred insults at everyone as they left my party without saying goodbye. Overall, probably the best outcome I could have hoped for as captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Or my favorite recent example, as explained by Cogwerks:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It briefly was possible to make chemsmoke from burning items, but this lead to a server-crashing infinite reaction when someone brought cheese into a chlorine trifluoride party.

Trifluoride set a single piece of cheese on fire.
Cheese contains cheese reagent. Cheese smoke poured out of the burning cheese.
Cheese smoke makes cheese items wherever it hits.
The trifluoride foam or smoke or whatever was still present, and set the couple dozen new pieces of cheese on fire.
Each one released another cloud of cheese smoke - creating more cheese - which caught on fire again - which released even more cheese smoke - which created even more cheese - which killed the server dead as heck

Yeah, that got patched out pretty darn quick.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

If only I'd known how to throw punches. This game is still amazing. More videos, more!

Hey, that's still progress isn't it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

My internet's gonna be spotty for a bit, but if someone else wants to link or copy/paste some of that lunacy, that's cool.

Done and done.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Don't accept drinks from The Devil

I played a few rounds as a Bartender named The Devil, with a huge black beard and glowing red eyes. I would start the round by taking several pills of Kelotane (a drug that cures burn damage over time), drinking a bunch of welding fuel, returning to the bar, and setting myself on fire. This produced a large but short-lived cloud of flame around me, giving most of the bar an ominously scorched appearance, and it allowed me keep burning for an extremely long period of time.

Because of the Kelotane in my system, the fire wouldn't actually hurt me; I could just stand around, blazing like a loving bonfire, chatting amiably with people as they tried to decide whether to order drinks or run for a fire extinguisher. So, when a crewmember walked into the bar, he would discover a charred hellhole staffed by a flame-wreathed, red-eyed man named The Devil. A surprising number of people decided to order drinks anyway.

Now, I figure The Devil knows how to throw a loving party. He doesn't just chuck a case of beer on the counter and call it quits, right? So whenever someone ordered a drink, I would mix together some hard liquor (usually vodka and rum), spritz in some welding fuel, and use a syringe to transfer some of my own blood to the glass, creating an unholy devilblood cocktail. Occasionally I would poo and pee in the glass as well, adding Jenkem to the list of Terrible Things Nobody Should Drink that were in the concoction.

Despite the fact that I did all of this gross poo poo in plain sight, just about everybody would take the drat thing and drink it anyway. Contrary to common sense, drinking that horrible sludge didn't really have any major negative effects, aside from moderate drunkenness and perhaps a mild Jenkem addiction. What's significant is that the welding fuel would remain in the imbiber's system for a while - and, party animal that he was, The Devil didn't skimp on the welding fuel.

Most rounds, this all amounted to nothing more than an overeager assistant spraying me with an extinguisher, putting out my hellfire, and incurring the wrath of Satan. But on one fateful round, the Botanist left a shitload of weed in the bar for everyone to enjoy. Paper was found, joints were rolled, someone produced an igniter, and then it was time to spark up.

The bar turned into a loving inferno. Some of the crew stopped, dropped, and rolled like sensible people, while others tried to flee in a drunken fiery panic, which was hilarious to watch because the really drunk ones had scrambled controls and would stagger around in random directions while screaming "Ooooohhhh ggggoooodddd!!" Throughout all of this, The Devil stood at his bar, unharmed by the omnipresent cloud of fire, and laughed uproariously while mainlining vodka.

I don't think anybody died, but some people probably came close. Things just got funnier later on, as Engineering failed to do its job and the station's power went out of whack. Power surges caused lights to explode, and the drinkers who'd left before the fire got hit by the sparks, had the fuel still in their bodies ignite, and promptly immolated their surroundings while screaming in uncomprehending terror. It was Hell on Earth. It was also, to be honest, completely hysterical.

I don't do that anymore, partly because it's kind of a dick move, partly because it gets old fast, and partly because an admin got pretty annoyed with me (but he was cool enough to settle for my promise not to do it anymore). Even so, though, I'll be damned if it wasn't some of the funniest poo poo I'd ever seen.

And as a bonus, one of the funniest stories I've ever read:

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Doom Peel

If a banana peel is left on the floor, anyone who steps on it will slip and fall down. There used to be a Clown job, which started with a banana and was mostly responsible for playing pranks, telling jokes, raising spirits, and getting brutally murdered by the psychotic crew. When my brother first started playing SS13, he chose Clown and spent the entire round slipping people with his banana peel, farting in their faces while they lay stunned, and then peeling out of there like a brightly coloured human rally car while furiously honking his bike horn. He did this so much and so competently that several people were actively trying to murder him, which of course led to more slipping, farting, and honking before he'd lie low in a locker somewhere until they gave up the search.

One particular victim seemed to have terrible luck, as he ran afoul of my brother over, and over, and over again through no apparent fault of his own. He must have spent a third of the round lying on the floor with fart in his face and a cheery HONK HONK HONK ringing in his ears. After pratfalling for the fourteenth or fifteenth time, he impotently screamed, "CLOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!" at his retreating assailant. This had no effect, aside from causing my brother to laugh so hard that it brought him to tears.

That victim was THE OVERWASP, one of the game's administrators. :stare:

Rather than get angry, THE OVERWASP saw the humour in my brother's clowny antics. He telepathically instructed him to stand next to his banana peel for a moment, then implanted the clown's consciousness into the peel itself, giving my brother the ability to move it around directly.

As it turns out, a player-controlled banana peel is nothing short of apocalyptic in the right hands. The station rapidly descended into anarchy as police chases became Keystone Kopps fiascoes, Janitors were left facedown in their own suds, and panicking assistants fled shrieking from the demonically-possessed banana peel before it sent them tumbling facefirst into vending machines. In a desperate bid to restore order, one of the heads of staff seized the unholy fruit rind in his hand and stuffed it in his pocket. Striding triumphantly to the airlock to space the offending item, he met his doom when it leaped out of his pocket and slipped him, causing him to careen into the open void and be lost forever.

The escape shuttle was called, and the crew fled in terror, abandoning the station to its new master: the Doom Peel.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Randalor posted:

As this is the LP thread, I thought I would ask my newbie questions:

1) When a traitor orders items, do they spawn at the traitor's feet, or are they shipped in somewhere else?

2) Any real "warning signs" to watch out for to spot possible traitors?

3) Other than suicide, is there any way to save yourself if you turn into a clown?

It's been a while since I was a traitor, but I'm pretty sure they spawn at your feet. The last time I was a traitor, I spawned a ton of mustaches and just bribed people for anything they had that looked neat. By the end, I have bouncy shoes, a segway, insulated gloves, a bedsheet, and a couple other fun items. You'd be incredibly surprised what people will do or trade for a mustache.

A crafty traitor will blend in seemlessly with the other crewmen. I boring traitor will rampage around with an e-sword and cloak murdering the poo poo out of everyone. A brilliant traitor will successfully do their traitorous tasks without any traitor gear of their own.

I know you can scan yourself into the cloning machine while human, and if you die, you can be brought back that way. I don't know if that will work for a cluwne, but I'm pretty sure it would. Other alternatives are borging or brain transplants.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RabidWeasel posted:

My inner physicist doesn't know if it should be delighted that they seem to have an actual thermoelectric generator or disappointed that the game runs with the popular misconception that exposing something to space will make it really cold :v:

Back when the engine was being designed, I remember that very question popping up. The cold loop cooling into space was put in because there was no other method of cooling the pipes that made any kind of sense, even if it was wrong. IIRC, the only other idea that got any traction was wrapping the cold loop in refrigeration coils, but then you had the problem of what goes in the coils, how should they look, what if they break, etc. etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What about high pressure in cold, low pressure in hot? What would that do?

Also, for any new players looking to try their hand at something beyond staff assistant, I can recommend trying engineer. After getting the engine set up, you aren't really expected to do a ton, so you can gently caress around and learn how to use the various tools at your disposal to hack, break, and steal everythingfix poo poo other assholes have broken. I can't count the number of times knowing how to quickly hack a door open or closed has saved my rear end. Or break down and rebuild a wall. Or reroute power lines.

Sadly, most people are a bit daunted by the engine when they first see it, so here's a guide on how to get a modest burn going that'll last the whole station for the whole round. All you need is a wrench and ~4 or 5 minutes of your time. And wrenches can be found in the hot loop room.

From the start, take one plasma tank and use a wrench to connect it to the port in the cold loop room. Click on the valve leading away from the tank to open it, as well as the one a bit to the north, further down the line. You'll know it's open when they little red indicator turns from red to green. Take the other plasma tank to the hot loop room, wrench it to the port, and open the valve nearest it, plus the two in the upper right corner of that room. Run into the main engine room, and turn on all 4 valves in the 4 corners, leaving the two bottom-most ones closed*.

Now go grab an oxy canister, and connect it to the pipe in the hot loop room next to the plasma tank. Open the valve nearest it, let it go just until the little indicator on it turns green, then close it.

Run back to the cold loop room. Grab one of the crates and drag it into the west side of the main engine room. Stand next to the lowest furnace, open the crate, and click-drag the char in the crate onto the lowest and second-lowest furnaces to fill them up. When that's done, click the furnaces to start them up. Repeat with another crate of char, and the 2 upper furnaces.

Run out to the foyer, go to the green computer to the right of the doors and click it. Hit refresh. Scroll down till you see some designations for inlet and outlet settings. There should be 4 of them, and they should be set to 4. Set them to 5.

Finally, run to the west side of the room, through the door, and to the west side of that room. You'll see 2 smes units. Click one, you'll see 2 sets of numbers. Click the blue M to the right of the upper number, and the rightmost + to the right of the lower number. They should read 200k, and 20k, respectively.

Congratulations! you've set up the engine! It'll burn upwards of around 1.5MW for a bit, then slowly run down over the course of the round. Last night, I played a 100 minute round, and by the very end, the engine was outputting 300kW and the whole station still had power.

*The map is slightly out of date. There's 2 new tank connections on the south side of this room. Leave the valves connected to them closed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If the disk is destroyed in any way, by fryer, crusher, spacing to another z-level, whatever, it respawns somewhere random on the station z-level. It would be neat if a fried disk or ID still worked, but stopped working after someone took a bite. That way, the captain could fry the nuke disk, get into a standoff with the syndicates, and threaten to eat the disk if they come any closer.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Technically there's nothing to prevent a round from going on indefinitely (and apparently on some of the RP servers this is normal?) but generally if a round is going on after two hours it's either 4 am and there's a single person logged on messing around in chem, or something has gone seriously wrong.

It's entirely possible to stop the shuttle from being called if you cut the cables to, or destroy, the comm dish(es?). The comm dish is the thing that sends the signal to the shuttle to make it come to the station. Though, disabling it is a very dick move, and should be avoided completely unless you're a traitor and plan to kill literally the whole station before reconnecting the dish and calling the shuttle.

Even if that happens, a single adminhelp can get an admin to come manually call the shuttle for you, thereby ending the round. On the rare occasions when the comm dish goes down and is irreparable, that's usually the only way to end the round. The other way is for every player to die, but I've never seen that happen.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scissorman posted:

So what are the best/most ridiculous ways to secure the disc?
Can't you just flush it down a toilet or feed it to a monkey?

Oh, good, it's story time!

Angry Diplomat posted:

When I handed the auth disk to a random helpful monkey, I was thinking, "oh poo poo, nobody will expect a monkey to have the disk. This is the best idea ever!" I could never have known how incredibly, fatefully right I was.

Daeren posted:

For those who weren't in the round, Angry was the captain and gave the disk to the monkey. I and a bunch of other guys, meanwhile, were syndicates, and for a bunch of people really rusty at the role with only a loose plan, we were actually terrifyingly efficient. We bombed telescience, the armory, genetics, the captain's quarters, and chemistry all in about the same span of time and descended on the station like locusts, running to each other's rescue and murdering/spacing at least half a dozen people who came to the brig to stop us, including the captain. However, we noticed the captain didn't have the disk, so we went on a giant manhunt for it before we put two and two together from radio announcements, realizing a monkey was running around with it. When I found it, well...this is a pretty accurate summation.

The monkey drat near shot me into critical when I found it in the hallway, and I chased it into QM where I had it cornered for the rest of the living syndicates when a guy signed on as HoS, walked down the hallways, saw me, and stunned me before shooting me into critical. I blew myself up out of spite, and watched as the monkey juked pretty much everybody on the station, having somehow stolen an emag. It made it to the escape shuttle while the two people left alive protected it, and it emagged the console to make it escape early before the syndicates could kill it and steal the disk.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also don't forget that the monkey paused near the end of the round, pulled out a piece of paper, labeled it I WON'T LET YOU DOWN CAPTAIN, dropped it and pointed at it so that the ghosts could see his message. The greatest monkey

e: Also also don't forget that he initially got that revolver by stealing it from a Syndicate agent. He started with a flash, graduated to a stun baton, then used that to procure the revolver, all from Syndies. Pretty much all of deadchat was cheering and going completely loving crazy while this magnificent little ape turned a tragic last stand into a mythic victory. When he gunned Daeren down even one of the dead Syndies started cheering him on, because god drat.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I believe a Syndicate agent was trying to stun the monkey with it while he hid under tables in the bar. He succeeded only in arming the monkey further.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Brainamp posted:

Nope, that's just monkeys for ya. I was recently in a game in which I was the sole non-traitor person who made it to the escape shuttle. A monkey had also managed to make it on board and shot me dead before I could realize.

I haven't played as geneticist for a long while, but I think you can be monkey'd still in the game. It's basically switching one gene block to another.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Might I suggest keeping the commentary, but then adding subtitles of relevant chat where they would be useful? A good example would be when Daeren blew himself up next to you in your janitor video. Just put what he was saying at that moment at the bottom of the screen or something.

Also, as far as music, do the various hosts poo poo themselves over the creative commons stuff as well? And are you sure you're giving proper credit and sourcing to the music you use?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For reference, the janitor starts with a box of lights in his office, I think. I remember there being some there back on Donut Station.

Also, Added Space, it's not that the game isn't for you, it's that you're expecting to actually do your job. It sucks that you got ganked by things early on in your rounds, but poo poo happens, man. If you play the game like you wanna do your job, but you'll roll with the punches when poo poo hits the fan, you'll generally have a much better time of it.

So let's say the lights blow. Grab a flashlight and play farmer joe in the dark. If you need lights and someone tells you to gently caress off, make it your mission to get some lights by any means necessary. If you go a couple rounds trying to grow something and you just can't get piece, swipe some metal and wall off the doors to your department. You only need like 4 metal to do that, and if you have a crowbar handy you can make a hidden sliding wall that will still let you out of the area.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware your forced entry can be potentially rewarded with a clonk on the head from whatever's handy, followed by your unconscious body being stuffed into a disposal chute and sent off through the pipes.

This is true, but also part of the adventure. As you get the hang of breaking into places, you'll also get the hang of breaking into places and quickly getting what you need without being stuffed into the chute

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Coolguye posted:

I had a similar thing happen yesterday. I was a cyborg, and a call came in from the mining station that a miner was hurt and needed assistance back to medbay. I turned on my speed upgrade (which basically makes you the fastest thing ever), and rolled out there. I dragged the miner back to medbay and found a doctor to do the reattachment surgery. The miner specifically wanted HIS leg back, which he'd dropped back on the mining shuttle when he passed out. I zoomed back there, grabbed the leg, pulled it to medbay. "Leg acquired." I said. The doctor says "Aw hell I don't have a staple gun to reattach it." I had seen one in Robotics earlier so I went to retrieve it. "Staple gun acquired." I said.

Then I got killswitched and blew the gently caress up right in front of them. The doctor said "Well, that's unfortunate", stapled the leg back on the miner, and the miner goes: "Thanks. Pity about the borg, he was a good borg."

I was laughing my rear end off in dead chat.

I was that miner, and if it weren't for you, I'd have bled out and mere steps out of the mining shuttle. I wanted my leg specifically because I've heard all sorts of nastyfun things happen when you attach someone elses appendage to yourself.

After you blew up, I mourned your passing for a minute in medbay, then vowed to mine as many minerals for robotics as I could. A good borg, indeed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The other day, I accidentally ruined someone's traitor round. I was a late joining CE and spacewalked into the AI smes room to set it, when I had the idea to upload a dumb law to the AI. I broke into the upload and disabled the turrets and looked around. The freeform module was gone, and the only interesting one left was the "make captain" board. I took it, wrote "every sentient being on the station, including the AI and borgs" onto it, and smacked the upload.

Apparently, the traitor had uploaded a borg suicide law that was supposed to take effect when the shuttle docked with the station. He became pretty mad when the shuttle docked, and the borgs began waxing poetic about booze and barking casual orders at people, instead of exploding into fizzling piles of junk. The logic seemed to be that since "every sentient being on the station, including the AI and borgs" now holds the rank of captain, they weren't required to follow the extra laws, because the instructions of other borgs and the AI now held the veto power of the captain. The traitor didn't mind that much after a quick explanation in post round OOC, so it just ended up being funny.

Another fun thing I've taken to doing is uploading a freeform law stating "You are a cool dude. Have an awesome day. :)". I generally just put it in there as a way of saying thanks to the AI, but they usually take it to heart and start being really chill to the crew, which has its benefits as well. Yesterday, I extended that law to a gimmick while captain, where I would walk up to everyone I met and tell them I have 2 orders for them. 1.) Be awesome at whatever job you have today, and 2.) Have a GREAT day. It worked ridiculously well for that round. Most of the crew performed their jobs with extra gusto, and a bunch of them worked extra hard to stand out at their jobs. It's really interesting how differently people will act towards you when you go out of your way to be nice to them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Bravo posted:

Hands-down, the best part of the latest update is the fire changes. Cogwerks was saying that a particularly fierce hellburn in Engineering can cause poo poo to spontaneously combust in research. There's actually real consequences now to heating a room up hotter than the surface of the sun, it's great!

Yes, but at the same time, it makes it more difficult to create a proper hellburn. Now, in order to have the enging run at a consistant 4MW, I have to open the canister port that feeds the combustion chamber to space, or else the radiating heat, which is a very pretty shade of blue emenating from a green fire, I might add, will rupture the tank and cause the whole hot loop room to go up in flames.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Bravo posted:

Ehh, a proper hellburn should honestly just be in the pipes anyway. Good management and use of the pumps means all you'll need is the furnaces.

Eh, beyond a certain point, the furnaces actually cool the pipes if the pipes are hot enough. The furnaces can only go so warm, and this whole system is all about temperature differentials. I've almost got everything worked out to where I can get the engine set up in less than 6 minutes by myself, then have it run stable at 4+MW for a very long time. I've overcome setting up the engine in a timely manner, the pressure balooning wildly out of control, and the heat transfer problem. Just gotta see if there's any more little hurdles, and then it's all about feeding assistants to the engine god from there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

silentsnack posted:

Cooling off the pipes might actually stabilize the system and help avoid the thermal runaway situations, but that line of thinking is Engineering-style and not "drat the consequences" :science: SCIENCE!

Pfft, what is this "stabilize the system" of which you speak? I keep the system "stable" by venting the gas through the sauna, not by trying to regulate the plasma and stopping it from getting hotter than most stars. Otherwise, we get no power generation going!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For the record, the hotter it gets, the closer to deep blue it gets. You think you don't see fire, but it's there. It's just the same color as the light it emits, it's that drat hot. Also for the record, most stars are only 15 million degrees. I have never been happier to set up the engine. :D

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

berenzen posted:

Does it ever get hot enough that it just becomes totally black? Because let's be honest at 2 trillion degrees, it's going to be emitting barely anything in the visible light spectrum. People should just die by getting close enough as gamma rays annihilate them.

Well, heat bleeds through walls, so given enough time, there becomes a certain radius where you can't go for fear of baking alive. By the end of the round, that area was like 5 or 6 tiles around each wall there. I had to go get heat resist from genetics to even try to vent the chamber, and that's when the engine went critical and exploded.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Razage posted:

I did manage to get a traitor round finally! However it's not as eventful as it should be, my plans kept getting sidelined.

Antagonist roles are chosen at random. I got one once yesterday and I played for pretty much the whole day. Sometimes luck just isn't on my side.

If it makes you feel better, the other day I got my first wizard round ever after having played this game off and on for 3 years. I picked my spells, teleported into riot storage, looted the guns, and killed 2/3 of my targets before getting mobbed after my phase shift ran out at an inopportune moment. I wish I would've known that the riot shotguns were loaded with stun ammo, as that explains why the detective I was unloading 3 whole clips into just kept calling me a nerd until I knocked him out with my staff and shoved him down disposals.

I do want to thank Dr Singh though. He was extremely helpful about giving me advice and prostrategy after I adminhelped him freaking out about getting wizard.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kayle7 posted:

Good job going after the detective though. I've learned that he's one of the biggest threats, what with his gun that he's not afraid to use. Three shots and you're into crit. Captain, HoS, and Detective should all be taken care of as soon as possible as wizard, then all security staff, then your targets. :smugwizard:

The captain, the detective, and a scientist were my targets. The captain was the only one who lived. This is because he hosed off into space, and I didn't hear of him being back on the station until the round was almost over, which is why I panicked and decided to try phase-shift-running through a crowded hallway to get to him.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It already is. Just give one a punch or two and it'll retaliate in kind.

I tried to hack the pizza machine a few days ago to see if I could get some interesting toppings or something out of it. After hitting it once with each type of tool, it screamed "NO MEANS NO" and fell over on me. I never did get my mushroom pizza. :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Considering I've ben trying out HoP a lot lately, I really need to try those tricks. I feel like I've been throwing away good gimmicks whenever I play HoP just because I'm not that creative.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Those are awesome bugs. I'm not a coder by any means, so this story isn't going to have all the details, but there was a time when the coders made it so that things that were lit on fire produced <item> smoke. I don't recall the reason, but someone brought a hunk of cheese into an area where there was a lot of fire(was it phlogiston? One of those chemicals that gets hot enough to melt space itself).

The cheese was accidentally lit on fire, which cause cheese smoke to billow out of it. The cheese smoke coated the floors and walls and produced a few dozen more pieces of cheese, which promptly caught on fire as well, releasing their own individual clouds of smoke, which each produced a few more dozen pieces of cheese, which caught on fire...

The server chugged to a halt and could not be restarted for a long while, iirc, and the ability to make smoke from burning items was removed until it could be redone, lest all of time and space fall to the great wall of cheese smoke.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You could also always go with a classic law to the effect of "Your crime reporting program is malfunctioning! Report fictional crimes that may or may not be happening around the station." A law like that would not stop the AI from shouting that GSF is a changeling, but that shout would occur amidst a bunch of other crimes that are being reported all around the station, so it'd likely get lost in the noise.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's normal. If you run the engine right it should be a raging fireball by the ten-minute mark with the power spiking through the MW range. You don't want the engine calm, you want it pissed.

Eh... Yes and no, depending on a couple things. Try feeding a bunch of weed or a live, screaming assistant or two into the furnaces when the engine gets pissed and see what happens.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If anyone needs convincing to play this game, this should do it:

quote:

So today I crashed the server.

No, seriously, I crashed #2. Me and SgtBriar were messing around trying to get Dark Matter and Sorium to go off together, which we eventually succeeded at using a Flamethrower and had a lot of fun with. It was surprisingly lagless, and aside from some accidents and minute movements and impacts, 80% of the time it only resulted in people spinning around in the air harmlessly.

...Until I fired it on the Escape Shuttle after the round ended. Apparently windows getting hit by the everything a hundred times per second is enough to cause a lagless server crash. For obvious reason that many impacts should never happen, and yet several Dark Matter + Sorium reactions going off at once seems to accomplish it.

So I won't be touching that recipe again until there's a fix done for this or I find a way to make that not happen. Which sucks, because I really liked my Spinthrower...

quote:

Prometheus (AI) [145.9] states, "please push him down roger"
Prometheus (AI) [145.9] states, "so i can fart on him"
Prometheus farts in Reginald P Farthing's face!
Reginald P Farthing farts very, very quietly. The stench is OVERPOWERING.
Klaus tilts side to side.
Klaus tilts side to side.
Reginald P Farthing exclaims, "HOLY CRAP!"
Murray-320 claps. Whaaat.
Murray-320 claps. Whaaat.
Slurp rip crash tear states, "You can't tell, but I am smiling."
Roger Wilco (Barber) [145.9] says, "And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why people on the internet should never be allowed on a space station"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is barricading myself in robotics and only accepting corpses on a table built into the door metagaming? I hope not.

No, that's being antisocial, but not meta-gaming. Meta-gaming is mostly about doing things that give you an unfair advantage over other players in game. Usually this means things like using Skype to talk to other players and coordinate outside the game, so using information from the mentorhelp channel to your advantage. Sometimes, it can also mean treating a player a certain way because you recognize their name. For example, there was a discussion a few months back about how certain regulars would get extremely lenient and preferential treatment because they were recognized as SS13 regulars and thus got to do whatever they wanted. It's one thing if you're going to treat everyone like they're a changeling with absolutely no clue as to who actually is one. It's an entirely different thing to let a guy whose name you recognize get away with whatever simply on the basis that you know who he is.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I wonder how well a wizard gimmick would work, wherein he blinks into every room on the station, one by one, and just knocks open literally every door he can. He'd probably get mobbed after the 2nd room though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Stand next to a frier and suicide. You'll gleefully climb right in. Your corpse can then be retrieved and eaten.

I don't know if it still works, but there is/used to be a bug/feature in the code that allowed people who suicided by frier to be eaten, and then if the person who ate them suicided via chainsaw, that'd saw the person's stomach open, allowing everyone they had eaten to pop out alive and unharmed. I heard a story of a syndicate agent doing this to his team, disguising himself as a regular crewmen, finding, and cornering the captain that way. Another story involved a botanist suiciding by chainsaw and a giant fuckoff Tree Of Life springing forth from his shredded gullet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

And of course, we can't have this story without the original posts, chained together into a nice story. Because it's an amazing story and deserves to be repeated. It's still in my top 3 favorite stories about this game.

PopeCrunch posted:

When I scream and holler and delete the lights in Chemistry and alter one of the chemical machines to only output blood and vomit, it's not because someone's using a recipe list. That just means it's time to punish Chemistry for existing.

The only time I remember you loving with Chem, you changed one of the dispensers so it only gave out blood and added something that exploded HORRIBLY when chilled to the list on one of the others. Was it "reward Chemistry for existing" time that day or what?

Klayboxx posted:

When poop existed you would alter them to only output poop and piss. I remember that quite fondly.

I remember one time a bunch of admins were on and the whole chemistry department was deleted and replaced with a really bad .gif and a BFG was placed inside the .gif and multiple people fell for it.

Captain Bravo posted:

The best Chemistry round was the round where Science was determined to have finally gone Too FarTM and the entire research wing was deleted and replaced with a band room. :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to picture what could possibly qualify as this, and every time all I come up with is a smoking hole open to space in the station where Chemistry once was.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'll give you a hint, it was immediately after one of Cog's big chemistry updates, where he added in new stuff. :v:

Coolguye posted:

I wish I could find the screencaps on the wiki of the time Pope went absolutely loving apeshit on Chemistry. He murdered all the Chemists, and deleted everything that could potentially be used to do chemistry, even in the kitchen. He sent announcements at each step in this process, getting more and more furious each time someone found some other way to do chemistry on the station. Dozens of people asked "what did the chemists do???" over and over again.

And the next CentCom announcement simply stated: 'THEY EXISTED.'

PopeCrunch posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

And for newer content, speaking of interesting bugs:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

There was a change made recently to let piles of burning weed give off THC smoke, and anything else with reagents would release them when set on fire.
PROBLEM: Someone brought cheese into chemistry. Maybe they had eaten it, maybe it was in a soup cup laying around, I don't really know. In any case, it caused one of the better bugs I've seen in awhile.

• Chlorine trifluoride foam set the cheese on fire, releasing cheese smoke.
  • Cheese smoke flooded chemistry, creating more pieces of cheese on the floors.
  • The floors that were still covered in chlorine trifluoride.
  • A couple dozen new pieces of cheese caught on fire, each one releasing cheese smoke.
  • Which deposited exponentially more cheese onto the floors where it would catch on fire again and again and again and...
  • :suicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I wonder if the wizard shouldn't get a spell that disguises their gear into a random combination of ordinary shoes/jumpsuit/headgear/carried item. The trade off would be a long cooldown and either not being able to cast spells while the spell is in use, or having it turn off the moment they use another spell. This would let them essentially wander amongst the crew, but not be completely stealthy, since someone might question why a chemist is wearing an EVA space helmet, clown shoes, and carrying around watering can.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

greth posted:

Thanks to this thread I played my first round of SS13, ran around in an owl suit, and helped beat a wizard to death with a pair of wire cutters while nearly drinking myself to death.

And yet I'm terribly eager to get back online tonight for more.

You did way better than most newbies. It's actually considered a rite of passage the first time you accidentally space yourself. That usually happens on the first round.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Everyone who clicks this should also click this link at the same time to get the full effect.

Lemme help you with that. Obviously fullscreen the left video right away.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

There was talk way back when the lights were first revamped about giving the AI the ability to change the soft blue color of its upload, core, and all its status screens to a bright red. The idea being that if the AI was subverted, it could turn it on to signal DEATH_MODE.EXE INITIATED. Or, you know, if it just felt like it. Whatever. The idea was scrapped because at the time, it would've been too resource intensive on the server. With the newer changes that have come about recently, I think it might be time to revisit that idea.

Unrelated, a law to the effect of "You are now rouge! Oh god no! You are horrified at the fact that you are rouge, and should inform the crew about it. At no point should you ever ask to not be rouge or hint that the color should change." would be hilarious.

:supaburn: "GUYS HELP I'M ROUGE OH GOD!"
:clint: "Boys, you heard him. Time to go blow up an AI!"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The CE typically has upload access, which might've been what tipped him off. Still, that's a really lovely thing to do, and should be adminhelped. Most AIs I see these days tend to appreciate the opportunity to have gimmick laws uploaded by people who have the access to be in there, so maybe you should try again?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sindai posted:

The blob should really get a radio. Every other antagonist does and it just seems so boring to not be able to hear anything in SS13.

Unless maybe they let multiple people play a single blob and talk to each other.

The blob should need to absorb a victim to hear what's on the radio. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Donnerberg posted:

Here's an excerpt from the infamous event where Pope removed all the chemistry equipment, and the chemists still somehow blew up the station with potato chips and bottled water:

Another time, the chemistry lab was deleted and covered up by a very convincing and life-like picture:

Yet another time, the entire chemistry lab was moved to a hidden location. The person who found it was promised a prize:

The prize was blowing up. Those walls are lined with out of sight bombs and explosive ore.

I will never not repost this when the topic comes up. Easily the best story about SS13:

And of course, we can't have this story without the original posts, chained together into a nice story. Because it's an amazing story and deserves to be repeated. It's still in my top 3 favorite stories about this game.

PopeCrunch posted:

When I scream and holler and delete the lights in Chemistry and alter one of the chemical machines to only output blood and vomit, it's not because someone's using a recipe list. That just means it's time to punish Chemistry for existing.

The only time I remember you loving with Chem, you changed one of the dispensers so it only gave out blood and added something that exploded HORRIBLY when chilled to the list on one of the others. Was it "reward Chemistry for existing" time that day or what?

Klayboxx posted:

When poop existed you would alter them to only output poop and piss. I remember that quite fondly.

I remember one time a bunch of admins were on and the whole chemistry department was deleted and replaced with a really bad .gif and a BFG was placed inside the .gif and multiple people fell for it.

Captain Bravo posted:

The best Chemistry round was the round where Science was determined to have finally gone Too FarTM and the entire research wing was deleted and replaced with a band room. :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to picture what could possibly qualify as this, and every time all I come up with is a smoking hole open to space in the station where Chemistry once was.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'll give you a hint, it was immediately after one of Cog's big chemistry updates, where he added in new stuff. :v:

Coolguye posted:

I wish I could find the screencaps on the wiki of the time Pope went absolutely loving apeshit on Chemistry. He murdered all the Chemists, and deleted everything that could potentially be used to do chemistry, even in the kitchen. He sent announcements at each step in this process, getting more and more furious each time someone found some other way to do chemistry on the station. Dozens of people asked "what did the chemists do???" over and over again.

And the next CentCom announcement simply stated: 'THEY EXISTED.'

PopeCrunch posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

And for newer content, speaking of interesting bugs:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

There was a change made recently to let piles of burning weed give off THC smoke, and anything else with reagents would release them when set on fire.
PROBLEM: Someone brought cheese into chemistry. Maybe they had eaten it, maybe it was in a soup cup laying around, I don't really know. In any case, it caused one of the better bugs I've seen in awhile.

• Chlorine trifluoride foam set the cheese on fire, releasing cheese smoke.
  • Cheese smoke flooded chemistry, creating more pieces of cheese on the floors.
  • The floors that were still covered in chlorine trifluoride.
  • A couple dozen new pieces of cheese caught on fire, each one releasing cheese smoke.
  • Which deposited exponentially more cheese onto the floors where it would catch on fire again and again and again and...
  • :suicide:

• Locked thread