Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Join as a Miner, take the Bumblepod, warp to the station level, recruit the absolute first person you see, and then go on Space Adventures.

Go to Telescience and volunteer for an expedition. That's it. The rest of that trainwreck will pretty much unfold by itself.

Attempt to break into Electronics as someone who shouldn't be there.

Attempt to help run the engine with a hellburn.

Play as the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress that, just get drunk and play Sealab: Space Edition. Be as ludicrously, unapologetically, hazardously incompetent as you possibly can without deliberately harming people. You'll learn stuff and you'll be part of the background insanity radiation that makes SS13 so funny.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

The last time I did that, I accidently set several people on fire and was afterwards threatened with a job-ban by an admin. I'm not making this up.

Bots would be really nice.

If you're genuinely not trying to hurt anyone and you apologize for the mix-up, the admins should be relatively cool about it. Sometimes you just get a really really cranky admin who yells at you because he's been dealing with creeps and morons all day. It happens.

There was also a period of much stricter administration a while back. They're generally pretty laid-back about most things now though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm really interested in seeing how some of the more advanced jobs like chemist or geneticist work.

Geneticist is actually pretty fun now. You get to play this neat little research game that requires scanning lots people/monkeys, prioritizing how to use your resources and where to focus your research, keeping copious notes (in-game, via the handy printer function), and piecing together various genomes until you unlock terrible secrets like "giving yourself silly horns" or "making people fart real bad." You can also give people all kinds of entertaining negative mutations this way.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is it possible to hack the AI to only respond to requests with the word "please" in them?

Yeah, for sure. You can add any law you want to the AI, provided you get your hands on the Freeform module and are able to reach the AI upload.

As the Captain, I once turned the AI into a bloodthirsty electronic barbarian warlord who promptly turned the station into a ludicrously death-metal warrior culture with people challenging one another to brutal honour duels to win E-MAN's favour and ascend in rank. The losers were executed (if they didn't die in the fight, which they usually did) and transformed into cyborg soldiers with names like BLOOD POUNDER and FLESH GRINDER. Eventually I lost in a mythic duel against the Head of Security, who was not pleased with what I'd done to the AI, and I proved my courage by standing in a napalm shower for ten seconds and then running all the way to the Robotics lab while on fire and severely bruised before finally collapsing at their door and perishing. E-MAN made me the supreme lord of all his cyborg legions, and the HoS, having been immediately corrupted by the power and glory of being the station's Champion, left the AI's laws alone.

In the end, the traitor, who had been quite successfully traitoring in the open with the AI's blessing due to his consistent success in honour duels, dueled the HoS and killed the poo poo out of him. He was made E-MAN's foremost general and we all boarded the escape shuttle to invade and destroy the weaklings at Centcom. The traitor won that round, but I like to think that we're all winners when a magical round like that unfolds.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

No, I got that, I was just wondering how directly you were allowed to mess with the three basic laws. Angry Diplomat's example answered that question quite thoroughly, however.

You can't really dick around with the basic three, but you can make a new law that supercedes, overrides, and/or replaces them if you word it properly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

JT Jag posted:

What keeps an AI player from just not bothering to obey humans or killing rampantly, besides playing fairly?

Admin scrutiny. It's understood that if you deliberately break your laws as AI, you will immediately get yelled at and punished.

edit: Beaten.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Archenteron posted:

I think our new-to-SS13-readers need to learn about The Devil.

My internet's gonna be spotty for a bit, but if someone else wants to link or copy/paste some of that lunacy, that's cool.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Alternatively: Play a security officer, get sauced on whiskey and painkillers, and play by your own rules. "In a station gone mad, there is only one law..."

No, play as Security, get wasted, and walk around giving a shitload of tickets.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shinmera posted:

I wonder if there's any really weird configurations you could do with the current engine.

If by "really weird configurations" you mean "terrifying mad science that turns the engine into an angry god and causes a substantial portion of the station's metal surfaces to randomly strike passersby with lightning bolts so intense that they are blasted to dust before the engine-god finally transcends its metal prison, annihilating all of Engineering in an apocalypse of cleansing flame" then yes. Yes there are.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That reminds me, I need to start touring other stations as The Devil and see how people react to me just goin' around, bein' The Devil. Nothing griefy, just... Satan. Just chilling and doing stuff.

I'm betting some servers will ban me within minutes because Ar Pee.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Daeren posted:

Screaming at, roughing up, and raising ruckus over? Totally acceptable, even encouraged.

Yeah, this happens to me all the time. If the Chaplain sucks at it I'll typically steal his bible or kick him in the crotch a bunch or something, but if he is more robust than I am, I deem him a worthy enemy and give him my respect.

Does Jesus Christ play anymore? It used to be fun to see the crew all :stare: when Jesus and The Devil passed one another and exchanged friendly greetings.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You can type succumb to die when unconscious. Only do it if someone isn't actively trying to save you though - it's much easier to save a dying person than a dead one.

Seriously. I played a round as Medical Doctor recently during which I was able to save like six super dying peoples' lives just by walking up to them with a medkit. One shot of epinephrine, a couple of patches, and the person is up and about enough to seek longer-term treatment independently.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That exact thing used to be a frequent problem. It isn't so much anymore, but people are still leery of it.

I think a good compromise would be to show off a couple of the non-harmful secretish chemicals. Creating life would be a great example.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Daeren posted:

Unless you are bored, very experienced in how combat goes, and have more than a bit of a death wish. And even then you're probably going to get pasted across the far wall if someone with traitor items wants you dead, unless they're incredibly incompetent or you're incredibly lucky/skilled.

Honestly I think the best thing to do, in terms of showing off carnage and lunacy from a firsthand perspective, would be to just keep on keepin' on. If one of the crazier antagonist roles happens to show up, great, he can make a video of that round. You don't go looking for chaos in SS13. The chaos finds you. It always finds you.

For instance, I recently played my first round as Vampire and it turned into an insane adminbus partway through. I barely had any blood and had managed to get hurt somehow, so I was more than a little concerned when I was sealed in a locker along with half the crew, blasted out of said locker, and teleported into a tiny room in Research along with the entire crew. The exit from the research wing turned out to be spacelubed, so that sucked. I ended up stuck between the two airlocks, surrounded by banana peels of mysterious origin, unable to escape and badly hurt. Finally I ceased giving fucks and simply started grabbing spacelube-stunned victims and drinking their blood in plain sight so I could rejuvenate, because gently caress it.

Absolutely no one reacted, because a man named The Devil wearing a Botanist jumpsuit and a Medical Director ID biting people and drinking their blood in a lunatic sanctum of banana peels and despair was actually the least demented thing happening at the time. To drive the point home, a Macho Man suddenly appeared amongst the poor bastards lying around in the Research exit hallway. He smashed through the airlock and walked up to me. Knowing I could never defeat him in hand-to-hand combat, I used my unholy hypnosis powers to KO him with my eyes. A passerby opened the airlock and I limped out and headed for Medbay. The Macho Man emerged shortly thereafter, but did not harass me. I can only assume that he respected my macho madness.

The rest of the round was basically a nonstop unholy rampage. I dragged an injured crewmember into the morgue, drained him, was discovered, partially drained my discoverer, ended up in a mighty battle with him and a telekinetic fireproof Geneticist in the maintenance hallways directly in front of a window into the main concourse, drew the attention of somebody with an artifact energy gun who started blasting his way in, and used my just-unlocked Chiropteran Screech to knock everybody down and drop bats all over them before telling the Geneticist, "nice superpowers, nerd" and drinking him dry. At some point during that shitstorm, I inexplicably became someone else entirely, as though I'd been hit with a DNA scrambler.

Draining led to discovery led to draining led to discovery. It was an uninterrupted clusterfuck of supernatural violence, lasting over 40 minutes and culminating with me detonating a metal foam grenade in the shuttle and raining diabolical terror on the few people who managed to get aboard until the shuttle returned to Centcom with a handful of injured mortals and one hellishly powerful vampire.

I was completely naked for the last two thirds of the round.

So basically Vampire mode loving rules.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Swedishness is the best thing because it annoys the poo poo out of absolutely everyone involved. I wish borging a Swedish Chef produced a cyborg with an infuriating Swedish accent.

Agent Interrobang posted:

The fact that there's a guy who runs around regularly as literally the Devil notwithstanding, of course. :v:

I will never use another name. Watching new players and Chaplains freak the gently caress out when they see me is endlessly funny, as is seeing somebody broadcast something like, "well, I was about to suffocate but Satan gave me CPR. Thanks Satan." Antagonist rounds are also a little more entertaining when you have The Devil spitting acid or summoning bats or whatever.

There used to be a guy who played as Jesus Christ all the time and we always got along famously. We'd regularly inspire :stare: reactions from bystanders when we passed one another in the halls with a friendly greeting. I don't think he's played in quite some time, though :(

• Locked thread