Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Go Botanist, make army of clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Pretty much this. It's an extremely detailed space station simulation, with a random slice of the internet serving as crew. There's also rules for traitors and aliens and what not, but they're usually just a side to the bizarreness that would already happen.

That said, when I've played I've often had a lot of perverse fun just trying my best to keep the station running (and usually failing).
Right, the one thing that I'm not sure whether it's a failing or the reason it can be great or what (but anyway) is that outside of wikis and YouTube, there is absolutely no real induction programme.

You start on a shuttle (sometimes) and even controlling where you move is an unintuitive slog (cursor keys? In My 20xx?), worsened by how bad the netcode is. This shuttle may or not be venting O2. It may or may not have been bombed. Inside this shuttle, assuming it has no atmosphere, it may or may not have emergency O2 tanks (good luck setting one of those up on your first game) and a working intercom (which by default won't be broadcasting, and in any case, who really reads the intercom chat when "say ;" exists, not that you'll know how to use this from the off). After meandering out of the shuttle (hopefully), you may or may not even have a real job. Probably not.

Anyone who wants to beat you up will 100% certainly win in your first game. Even in your hundredth, if you never learned the art of Robust-Fu against anyone good, you may well be conked over the head, blowtorched to within an inch of your life, and strapped to a chair. Security was probably responsible for this, so calling for them is hopeless.

The community also has bizarre rules like "NO DNT SAY WHAT THE CHEMISTRY RECIPES ARE FFS ITS A SECRET" so that new Toxins staff will a) definitely get killed, and b) ruin everything always and get job banned, at least for a while.

The station also changes from server to server. You can set up the 'default' reactor located on the exterior of the station, and manage the singularity? Yeah well you're not on Noobstation For Idiots Alpha now, you're on Goonstation, where the power generation system is some mad heat differential thing that relies on knowing how to affix various gas tanks, set a controlled fire, and know the properties of several materials which aren't in the base game. And it isn't even in the same place at all.

Good laugh sometimes, though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Indeed. The engine topping 400kw should be the threshold for personal objective failure.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Coming back to this game after a while, the change in engines is the biggest difference (that and the owls...). What was the rationale for changing engines?
I'm guessing a combination of:

- Wanting something a bit different for Engineers to do
- Not having a critical element of the station become something any shithead (properly or improperly) AI can make hideously dangerous very easily (presuming this was also the reason for Atmos getting canned).
- Reducing lag
- Giving miners more incentive to dig plasma than money/utter havok/I DIG ROCKS
- Giving a strong rationale for making a series of small rooms for Engineers to get murdered and eaten in
- Other Reasons

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

Is there even a reason to deliver ore to it?
A round where tight-arsed Toxins staff won't let Engineering have any of their considerably too numerous Plasma tanks?

• Locked thread