Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
:siren::siren::siren:Korra's time slot has been moved to Fridays at 8:30 PM EST:siren::siren::siren:
“Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all four elements, and bring balance to the world.”

Over a year after the conclusion of Book 1, The Legend of Korra is finally back, starting September 13th, Fridays at 7 pm EST, a significant step up from the first season’s Saturday morning timeslot. This season is also 14 episodes, two episodes longer than Book 1, which will hopefully fix some of the pacing problems that were present in Book 1. Also cause for celebration is the return of two of the writers from the original series; Tim Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton. Additionally, Studio Mir, who animated the entirety of Book 1, will be joined by Studio Pierrot. Apparently the reason Book 2 has taken so long is because of conflict involving the two studios, which is detailed here.
But enough about all that, what can we expect in Book 2?

What We Know (Skip this if you don’t want to know about anything outside of what was shown in amazing Book 2 trailer)
It has been six months since the defeat fraternal murder/suicide of Amon and Tarrlok, and peace has returned to Republic City. Korra is a fully realized Avatar who Tenzin insists still has a lot to learn about spirituality and responsibility. Speaking of Tenzin, his brother Bumi and sister Kya are joining the cast. His eldest child Jinora is going to be more involved in Korra’s adventure this time around, no word yet on his other children or wife. Mako is now a wisecracking cop who cracks cheesy one-liners that he writes out beforehand because he’s a huge dork. Bolin is currently struggling with Pro-Bending and wait no where are you going come back it’s not going to be in anything past the first act of episode one I promise. Asami is now head of Future Industries because her father is in prison, and despite things not looking good she is remaining as badass as ever. Of note is a billionaire shipping magnate from the Southern Water Tribe named Varrick, who is currently making a deal with Asami to become business partners. However, there are rumors that he has underworld connections, and will make a deal with anyone if he thinks he can turn a profit.
That’s the least of our worries, however. A crisis looms as the Spirit World is on the brink of collapse, and Dark Spirits of unknown motive are invading the Southern Water Tribe, where Korra hails from. The Northern and Southern Water Tribes are on the brink of Civil War, with politics over spirituality and tradition causing a schism not just between the two Tribes, but Korra’s family. Her uncle Unalaq, Chief of both the Northern and Southern Water Tribe, is a spiritual fundamentalist, in stark contrast with his brother, Korra’s father, Tonraq, who was next in line to become Chief of the Northern Water Tribe, but gave the position to his brother so he could move to the Southern Water Tribe and raise a family. It is unknown how Unalaq became Chief of both Tribes. Unalaq has two children, Eska and Desna, both Korra’s age. Identical twins despite the fact that one is a boy and one is a girl, they have that weird bond thing that twins tend to have. They’re expert Waterbenders, and will most likely be joining Team Avatar, though their loyalty may side with their father.
Korra’s journey will take her to corners of the Spirit World we’ve never seen before, and while we obviously don’t know just how this conflict will be resolved (and it will be by the end of these 14 episodes), we do know that Korra will learn the story of Wan, the first Avatar, from over 10,000 years ago. The trailer showed us that one familiar face from the Spirit World is going to return, but no word yet on a certain other face(s).

What about the Equalists?
From Bryan's Tumblr:

quote:

I saw a comment on my dashboard after the Barnes & Noble signing from someone who was dissatisfied with the fact that we didn’t continue the Equalist plot in Book 2 and wrote something to the effect that we were just keeping the bending oppressors in power and sweeping the plight of the oppressed non-benders under the rug. This is definitely not the case. Our idea was that the Equalist revolution forced the United Republic Council (Tenzin included) to face the fact that the majority of the population was not being represented. As a result, they disbanded the council and held open elections, and Raiko, a non-bender, was elected as the president of the United Republic. Looking back, I do think we could have made that clearer, but I think we were probably trying not to bog down the premiere episode with what we refer to as stuff that’s getting too “Trade Federation-y,” since there was plenty to pack into that episode as it was.
And on that note, here’s to 300 more pages of adults talking about a show on Nickelodeon.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I am an adult talking about a show on Nickelodeon.

I'm super excited for the new season, I haven't seen what's been shown at SDCC yet, but just from the trailer I know it's going to be something special and unlike any other show out there.

I really appreciate the lengths the team goes to to make an accurate blend of eastern aesthetics and the industrial revolution style. It's in the music, the architecture, everything. I absolutely loved Republic City but I'm fine with leaving it for the time being and seeing what the rest of the world has been up to in the meantime.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Really excited about upcoming Book 2. Haven't had it as bad as other people with the long gap between seasons (only discovered this show two weeks ago) but really can't wait given how amazing the first season was.

With this and Breaking Bad both returning at the same time, feel kind of spoiled with quality TV at the moment.

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 1, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just a sucker for quality animated shows, I could care less that it's on Nickelodeon, particularly since I don't have TV so the only way to watch is to wait for the episodes to come out online.

Also HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE SO loving HYPE FOR THIS SHOW GODDAMN Hey why aren't those shorts with Mako and Bolin in the OP?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Looking forward to this coming back on.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

gently caress yes new thread :dance:. Nice thread title by the way. This one is probably more fitting anyways :shobon:.

I think my favorite part of a new season is looking forward to new gifs and other such silliness.

fake edit: I am also an adult and I will be posting about a show on nickelodeon.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
That trailer is incredible. I can't wait!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Unless I missed it in the OP, there's also the Nick advert for the premiere, with some more material, and a few lines from the show.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007
Awesome. I've kept myself more or less in the dark about Season 2, trying to keep my perspective as fresh as possible. I'm definitely excited that this season will be longer, allowing plots some breathing room. Now, that there is a new thread, it won't be long now; I can't wait for the thirteenth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, STAY OFF THE AVATAR WIKI IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED they have a full synopsis up from the comic-con preview.

Also, I looked it up, apparently it is possible to have identical mixed gender twins, but it results in at least one of them having some development problems. Its when a zygote with XXY splits into twins and further mutates. The woman ends up with Turner syndrome and the male can end up with Klinehoffer syndrome. I don't expect this will pop up in the cartoon at all, but knowledge :eng101:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Pro-bending is awesome and I liked those parts :mad:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

So did I but we don't have time for that any more we have a civil war and the spirit world and 7 new characters to establish and also they have to make us like Mako, give Bolin something to do beyond comic relief, and have Korra go through character growth. We only got 14 22 minute episodes and god knows what curveballs they're gonna throw in there because no way would they tell us all the tricks they have in store in just the pre-release material.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I agree. It was cool to see some good-natured competition in the Avatar universe without having it follow a monk-like regimen or have someone trying to kill someone else.

Can't wait for the new season.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pro-bending was boring to watch and ridiculously stiff. It had exactly one good moment ("Chump") and I'm glad it's hopefully dead and buried for the season.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Feels good to finally be on the ground floor of one of these threads.

Even though the show is titled The Legend of Korra, nothing Korra's done so far screams legendary to me.

I wonder if her claim to fame is being the first Avatar to metal and lightning and blood and spiritbend.

also resolving tensions between the human and spirit world I guess

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The reason for the title is because the UK title for Avatar: The Last Airbender is Avatar: The Legend of Aang, because "bender" is UK slang for homosexual.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Twelve days. I just need to make it twelve more days.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Aang wasn't the last Airbender either. gently caress these misleading titles. Perhaps they should have gone with "Avatar: The Only Airbender" and included a footnote. :)

One thing I'm trying to understand is US viewer numbers. According to the stats, LoK got about 4.3 million viewers on average per episode, compared to Breaking Bad season 4 which got 3 million on average per episode. How does that shake out exactly?

Even Game of Thrones only got 4.9 million per episode. They're all obviously only measuring first showing and TV-only, but I thought the American TV audience would mean all these numbers would be at least 5x as high.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Ground floor hype GET!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Oh Snapple! posted:

Pro-bending was boring to watch and ridiculously stiff. It had exactly one good moment ("Chump") and I'm glad it's hopefully dead and buried for the season.

This. It was especially boring as a huge fan of Toph and the possibilities she brought into earthbending to watch some chumps essentially throw dodgeballs at each other.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Aertuun posted:

Aang wasn't the last Airbender either. gently caress these misleading titles. Perhaps they should have gone with "Avatar: The Only Airbender" and included a footnote. :)

One thing I'm trying to understand is US viewer numbers. According to the stats, LoK got about 4.3 million viewers on average per episode, compared to Breaking Bad season 4 which got 3 million on average per episode. How does that shake out exactly?

Even Game of Thrones only got 4.9 million per episode. They're all obviously only measuring first showing and TV-only, but I thought the American TV audience would mean all these numbers would be at least 5x as high.
The big four network stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) have incalculably more advertising than any basic cable network. And when you're dealing with national numbers, there is very little overlap between people who don't do DVR or Netflix or Hulu, and people who care about things like "critical acclaim" and "word of mouth" that shows that aren't on those four networks get.

TLDR: The baby boomers aren't dead yet.

Edit: Of course I could be completely wrong, and you should ask the TV IV general chat thread.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aertuun posted:

NCIS, the show with the highest ratings for the entire 2012-2013 season, only had 21 million viewers. Nothing does numbers like they used to, because the entire entertainment market is fragmented and niche.

LoK and Breaking Bad are cable shows, which not all households even have, and even if they do, their package might not include AMC or Nick. Game of Thrones is a premium cable show, you have to pay extra specifically to get HBO, its potential audience is even smaller. That's why GoT nudging up to 5 million viewers is considered a staggering hit when it'd get cancelled drawing those numbers on network TV. Everything's relative.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That and even raw numbers are usually meaningless, it's demographic percentages (demographic being people from age 18-49 because they buy all of the poo poo) that matter for actual ratings.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Aertuun posted:

drat, you just made me realize that Aang never got to meet any of his grandkids.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man, it's times like these that make me wish I had cable.

Does Nick put up episodes for streaming? Even with a narrow window of availability.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Man, it's times like these that make me wish I had cable.

Does Nick put up episodes for streaming? Even with a narrow window of availability.

Yeah, they go up a few days after on the Nick site.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, they go up a few days after on the Nick site.
I'm not sure they do in places that are not the United States.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

On the one hand, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go more in the direction of making Korra's world one where people have abandoned the old ways and discarded mysticism, because I thought that could be a nice contrast to A:TLA. But on the other hand, I'm willing to give that up if it means no more Pro-Bending or muddled messages about classism.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The reason for the title is because the UK title for Avatar: The Last Airbender is Avatar: The Legend of Aang, because "bender" is UK slang for homosexual.

loving UK, first Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles and now this.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 2, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

dazoner posted:

drat, you just made me realize that Aang never got to meet any of his grandkids.

Yes he has, her name is Korra :colbert:

I just wanna see Korra learn metal and lightning bending, and to have Tenzin teachher the Ultimate Air Technique (air marbles)

We've had enough bloodbending.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Deep Winter posted:

I just wanna see Korra learn metal and lightning bending, and to have Tenzin teachher the Ultimate Air Technique (air marbles)

We've had enough bloodbending.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Katara taught Aang bloodbending, especially after they had so many problems with it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Katara taught Aang bloodbending, especially after they had so many problems with it.
Yes the person who made bloodbending illegal because the concept so sickened her taught it to her husband yes that makes sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well here's something to kick off the new thread/season: Doug Walker finished his Korra vlogs just in time for Season 2. And yeah, it pretty much ends the way SpiderHyphenMan predicted it would, with Doug and Rob having a mostly positive, calm, and cogent debate about Korra's successes and failings as a series... which abruptly pivots into them writing Korra/SpongeBob fanfiction. :stare:

Here's their one for Skeletons in the Closet too, since I don't think that was posted before the Season 1 thread was closed.

Really looking forward to his Last Airbender review now, especially given how much of an Avatar fanboy he's evolved into over the course of these vlogs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Well here's something to kick off the new thread/season: Doug Walker finished his Korra vlogs just in time for Season 2. And yeah, it pretty much ends the way SpiderHyphenMan predicted it would, with Doug and Rob having a mostly positive, calm, and cogent debate about Korra's successes and failings as a series... which abruptly pivots into them writing Korra/SpongeBob fanfiction. :stare:

Here's their one for Skeletons in the Closet too, since I don't think that was posted before the Season 1 thread was closed.

Really looking forward to his Last Airbender review now, especially given how much of an Avatar fanboy he's evolved into over the course of these vlogs.
It's almost as though not having gone through three years of absolutely absurd hype and controlling yourself to have realistic expectations going in allows you to be more reasonable.

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's almost as though not having gone through three years of absolutely absurd hype and controlling yourself to have realistic expectations going in allows you to be more reasonable.

I can't wait to see his V-Logs for Books 3 & 4 then. You are not truly an Avatar fan until you have gone through the trial of Nickelodeon interrupting a season mid-way through and felt the madness.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unruly Amoeba posted:

Awesome. I've kept myself more or less in the dark about Season 2, trying to keep my perspective as fresh as possible. I'm definitely excited that this season will be longer, allowing plots some breathing room. Now, that there is a new thread, it won't be long now; I can't wait for the thirteenth.

The thing is, they won't really be longer. Season two is 14 episodes long rather than 12 but 2 of them will be devoted to almost or entirely exclusively the story of Wan, the first Avatar - which leaves season two as really just 12 episodes. Which according to the information in this thread will be a self-contained plot as well. So I'm keeping my expectations low just in case. If it's good, awesome. If not, then I won't be disappointed.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Same here. I hated how rigidly defined the entire thing was. Always the same arena, always the exact same attacks, always the exact same direction (forward within a fairly small radius). They could have at least changed the arena to a different one for each of the three rounds (water, earth & fire), random arena for tie breakers - with each round favoring one style of attack that way so that it at least became a bit more dynamic and open to something different happening each round or match. The fact all the attacks were these dinky little things as well doesn't help. There were no sweeping waves of fire or water, no earth suddenly grabbing your feet to trap your movement, none of the stuff that makes bending battles fun in the first place basically.

I get that it's supposed to be tighter, more focused bending that minimizes destruction due to people living in large and complex urban environments but the thing is (a) as soon as Korra and co. came out on to the streets both in early and late show they used much more destructive attacks anyways so it doesn't really seem to have made much of an impression and (b) just because it's minimized doesn't mean it has to get rid of everything except dinky little forward attacks. I'd have love to have seen it so that the three team members each fulfilled a different role on the team, with the earth bender acting as a trapper, trying to snag the opponents feet when they're not looking but having to watch out for his opposite doing the same while the water bender was allowed to use bigger, wave like attacks (water only, no ice maybe) to drench the opponent and douse his flame while the fire bender acted in a more defensive role using large swathes of flame, but only to stop incoming attacks, not allowed offensively to do large ones or something. I'm sure there's problems with that, but basically I just think there's a lot more they could have done to make it visually exciting to watch while still fulfilling the same purpose because I don't have a problem with it in theory (even if I think it took up a bit too much time considering the season length), I just hated the execution.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 2, 2013

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

tsob posted:

Season two is 14 episodes long rather than 12 but... I'm keeping my expectations low just in case. If it's good, awesome. If not, then I won't be disappointed.

Should information about the upcoming season be in spoiler tags? Already knew that myself, but other people may not.

There's a very good point about expectations. Can't remember who made the quote, but, "Expectations are the hooks we hang our resentments on." is a very good thing to keep in mind.

That said, given the amazing quality of book 1, and the extra writing staff they've brought on board, am expecting the second season to be nothing short of awesome.

Some of the landscape shots they showed off during the ComicCon presentation were just fantastic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It was unspoiled in the last thread so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be, but spoilered just in case. As to your quote, I mean it's nice, but it doesn't really mean much because there's plenty of people who hang other stuff on their expectations - your post being a prime example of someone hanging something other than resentment on them. You're highly excited for season two, and admit right there it's mostly because of the quality of season one. So it's really more like "expectations are the hooks we hang our resentments or excitement on". Which doesn't sound nearly as nice.

I would like to think I don't resent, or at least don't outright hate season one personally. I think there was some great stuff in there, but that some issues tripped it up. The pacing suffered due to a short episode order and there was too much time being taken up by stuff I personally didn't enjoy (love triangle and pro-bending). I still loved a lot of stuff in there, I just think it should have had more episodes (and not just 2 more either) and that this would have fixed a lot of it's issues by allowing more exploration of the classism, more time between pro-bending and love triangle stuff and allowed for Mako and Bolin to receive some more character, which they (especially Mako) needed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 2, 2013

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Ah, didn't mean to imply that quote was aimed at you. :) It's just something I've always found pretty insightful when dealing with my own and others reactions to things.

If you get the chance, watch through the Paley interviews with the Breaking Bad writing/acting team. Also check out articles on how the Sopranos writers handled the end of season 2. Both deal with how teams of writers handle tricky reveals and plot points, and the approach they take is very similar.

Basically, the best solutions to writing knots usually come when you have the benefit of lots of production time and a broad team of writers.

It's interesting hearing about all the parts people enjoyed the most. My partner (and she doesn't usually play to this stereotype) loved all the romance and character-focused stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think my main problem with the love triangle was simply that Mako was such a dull character. I didn't care who ended up with him because I didn't want either to end up with him. Why should I when I don't think he's an interesting and/or likable enough person for anyone to end up with after all? This is especially evident when Korra actually has some chemistry and fun for the few minutes she's on a not date with Bolin. The two of them were actually fun to watch together. And that was especially annoying because of Mako's reaction to and treatment of Bolin afterwards. Yes, how dare he like the girl you didn't date when you're already dating someone else. The rest of it wasn't enjoyable, because (almost) every scene between Mako and Korra or Mako and Asami was basically just "ooh, will they or won't they?" and if I don't give a poo poo about the character or relationship that kind of tension is going to fall flat.

The only love triangle scenes I think worked personally was Asami and Mako's meeting and the horse drawn carriage ride. I think those worked because Asami was played up as a possible spy during her initial appearances so there was some tension from that in the scene too. The horse drawn carriage worked because it also started to fill in on Mako's background and so gave him a little bit of characterization and played up some tension between the two of them as a couple on their own terms rather than as a part of a triangle. Both scenes work because the tension isn't solely based on who he'll choose I think.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Hrm, never considered taking the love quadrangle seriously before. With the exception of a few scenes, always found the writing was playful and deliberately tongue-in-cheek. Seeing the different characters make such a mess of things was really adorable <3

It was pretty cleverly constructed overall, as it was still written to be plausible to... a particular demographic, shall we say. From what I've read, some people take that particular side of things REALLY seriously.

Of course Korra gets along better with Bolin, but how can she fail not to fall madly in love with the handsome self-centred firebender boy, who doesn't really care about anything but what HE wants and treats her terribly for the first half of the season? :cheeky:

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 2, 2013

• Locked thread