Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

New 45 second trailer
We have Old Zuko voice, people! Also official, non-leak reveal of the Dai Li.

I see that Korra is back to her old tricks. "I'm the Avatar!!" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Yes but she's saying that as a judgement of her own shortcomings and failures, not as a statement of authority.
In other words, "I'm the Avatar, I gotta deal with it."

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

DrSunshine posted:

Well... she is.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

e X posted:

I loving hate that region blocking is still a thing in 2014. Dies somebody has an alternate source?

I've tried Hola unblocker and YouTubes with no luck. Any links guys?

Region blocking is loving awful.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The ModifyHeaders/ModHeader (Firefox/Chrome) trick works on Nick's site.

- Add an entry, enter "X-Forwarded-For" in the first box, value "12.13.14.15"
- Start the add-on (don't forget to stop it when it's not needed) and refresh the page
- Watch Korra punch a problem then immediately give up when said punch doesn't solve said problem. Character development!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yes but she's saying that as a judgement of her own shortcomings and failures, not as a statement of authority.
In other words, "I'm the Avatar, I gotta deal with it."

Yeah, this is pretty clearly the tone she was using there. She seems to be realizing that just being the Avatar doesn't mean she's always going to win, or win easily, and she has to earn truly being worthy of being the Avatar.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess the bad guys will try to force Korra into the Avatar State and some how murder her then. Sparky Sparky Boom Snipe?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
For the bad guys of Book 3, it looks like Mike and Bryan looked at the criticism of psychic Bloodbending, and how it was completely visually uninteresting, and went "Okay, so we still have the whole superbender thing, but it's THE EXACT VISUAL OPPOSITE of psychic bloodbending, and there's a goddamn TEAM of them."

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I watched the leaked episodes. There's a female version of Combustion Man and another firebender who can melt stone. There is also a waterbender who has no arms and uses water tentacles to fight.

They do have an interest in the Avatar. The reason the White Lotus Society kept Korra isolated during her childhood is because this gang tried to abduct her when she was little.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 22, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

I watched the leaked episodes. There's a female version of Combustion Man and another firebender who can melt stone.
Are we sure that the stone melter is not some kind of specialized Earthbender? It would make sense seeing as how the other villains are Fire, Air, and Water.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are we sure that the stone melter is not some kind of specialized Earthbender? It would make sense seeing as how the other villains are Fire, Air, and Water.

I haven't looked into the leaked episodes, but I feel like I'm going to be disappointed when we don't get a super version of all four elements. Hell, stupid as it might be I'd like to see someone come up with something that is to Airbending as Metal/Lightning/Bloodbending is to Earth/Fire/Waterbending.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Something I forgot until just now is that those vines were made by Unavaatu when he was rampaging in Republic City, and not something that sprang up as a result of Korra leaving the portals open after Harmonic Convergence. So Korra is actually completely in the right to be pissed at Raiko for trying to shift the blame onto her for them, since if he had mobilized a force to stop Unalaq like she told him that he had to, that poo poo wouldn't have happened. I'm kind of surprised that wasn't mentioned in the first five minutes as a reminder to the audience, since it was sort of a background event in the insane Kaiju fight.

Also that 45 second trailer shows Korra using Unalaq's spirit water technique on the vines, which on the one hand that's a smart idea but on the other hand Book 3 starts a few weeks after Book 2 and apparently Korra tried "everything she could think of" but she didn't think of that. Which is, to be frank, disappointing.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You know what, gently caress it. If I'm gonna be the Bad Thread Guy I might as well embrace it. If no one else is doing anything I'll whip something up. I promise to keep it mostly respectful.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The Legend Of Korra Book 3: Still Sucks

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MrAristocrates posted:

You know what, gently caress it. If I'm gonna be the Bad Thread Guy I might as well embrace it. If no one else is doing anything I'll whip something up. I promise to keep it mostly respectful.

Hey, don't worry, I'm a nega-fan too. Wan's episode? I liked the character but hated the whole origin story of the world. I think the show has entered the "the Force is actually caused by midichlorians" territory in Season 2, but I'm still interested in watching the new season on the 27th because I'm curious to see if the show can still be entertaining and charming.

This is a bad show, and I have dealt with it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I watched the leaked episodes. There's a female version of Combustion Man and another firebender who can melt stone. There is also a waterbender who has no arms and uses water tentacles to fight.

Water lady looks like the snake dude from that stupid ninja anime Naruto.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Couple pics to embellish the thread:

I can get you more if needed. So much more.

These are best used immediately before or after the showrunner's post about how hard they work to craft these continuous storylines and animation as best they can.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

They do have an interest in the Avatar. The reason the White Lotus Society kept Korra isolated during her childhood is because this gang tried to abduct her when she was little.

:what:

Is she really grabbing that steering wheel with tentacles? Really? What was the reasoning behind this? Did they rewatch Season 2 of ATLA and think "Man, Katara's water tentacles sure were cool! I bet we can appeal to some fans by referring back to this, but making a big point of it!" :toot:

This season is gonna suck -- they've officially gone "Heroes, Season 3" on us!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 23, 2014

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Is she really grabbing that steering wheel with tentacles? Really? What was the reasoning behind this? Did they rewatch Season 2 of ATLA and think "Man, Katara's water tentacles sure were cool! I bet we can appeal to some fans by referring back to this, but making a big point of it!" :toot:

I think that bender literally has no arms.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

To be fair, the problem with Heroes season 3 was the execution, not the premise. It was actually a promising idea, but then they just immediately squandered all potential that it had.

But then, I guess Korra doesn't have the best reputation for execution, either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

seravid posted:

These are best used immediately before or after the showrunner's post about how hard they work to craft these continuous storylines and animation as best they can.

I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention when that came on originally but holy poo poo that gif.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe she doesn't have arms?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

seravid posted:

Wikipedia on Book 2 posted:

Animation work was done by the South Korean animation studio Studio Mir as well as the Japanese animation studio Studio Pierrot. Studio Mir was expected to solely work on Book 2, but executive director Jae-myung Yoo decided that Studio Mir would animate The Boondocks instead because the animation process was less rigorous. Studio Pierrot was eventually called in to fill the void and animate Book 2. According to Jae-myung Yoo, Studio Mir was later contacted and re-asked to animate Book 2. Yoo feared that, if Book 2 failed, Studio Mir and Korean animators would have their reputations tarnished for Studio Pierrot's failures. Consequently, Studio Mir accepted the offer and worked alongside Studio Pierrot
And now Pierrot is gone. Mir is back on for the entirety of Book 3, and likely 4 as well.
So there's that.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

DrSunshine posted:

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of exploring non-traditional benders. Obviously some people are going to figure out how to use their bending in unusual ways, and story logic demands that some of them must be villains.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AshB posted:

I think that bender literally has no arms.

Yeah, she has no arms, because it looks like the entire premise is that Wow, it would be cool if she was using that awesome water tentacle move all the time!

But maybe I'm wrong and her sub-plot in the show will explore some of the difficulties faced by the disabled! I'm sure that LoK has had a splendid track-record of such treatment of real-world issues such as inequality and power struggles of the elite.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The season isn't even out yet. You sound like you're looking for reasons to be really mad.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And now Pierrot is gone. Mir is back on for the entirety of Book 3, and likely 4 as well.
So there's that.

What's your point? Did Pierrot forced the showrunners to use their services at gunpoint? They were hired and their work was approved; the guys running the show - not the animation studio - are responsible.

Shame I can't gif the show's deficiencies in storytelling, character development, plot... things that can't be so easily blamed on a third-party.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AshB posted:

The season isn't even out yet. You sound like you're looking for reasons to be really mad.
I'm more in a let's see what happens type mindset, then again I'm used to that being a wrestling fan and have a high tolerance for mediocrity and bad story telling.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AshB posted:

Yeah, actually I was being kind of a dick. I guess I was just sort of frustrated or disappointed with the direction they're taking with this one -- given the scant fragments that have been shown -- and kind of took it out in an annoying way. Sorry, my bad! :(

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

seravid posted:

What's your point? Did Pierrot forced the showrunners to use their services at gunpoint? They were hired and their work was approved; the guys running the show - not the animation studio - are responsible.

Shame I can't gif the show's deficiencies in storytelling, character development, plot... things that can't be so easily blamed on a third-party.
Pretty sure after you've already paid a studio to animate stuff you can't just be like "Hey wait this isn't up to code" and trash all their work and start from scratch. Budgeting doesn't work like that, dude.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm pretty sure I've said it before, I think a few other people have too, but if you put where LoK where it is now (26 episodes in) against AtLA at the same point I'm legitimately enjoying the former more. It was mid-Book 2 of Avatar that I really started getting into it, and in terms of raw running time we aren't there yet with Korra. If the first bit of Book 3 falls flat, then I'll probably start joining the chorus of "this is a bad show, deal with it" if only for having given it a fair shake compared to it's predecessor.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The big issue with the show so far has been that it has been very plot heavy without any breaks in between to have character heavy episodes. It would have benefited a lot from longer seasons to allow that breathing room. For example, I'm thinking of the episode of A:TLA where Sokka feels down on himself but goes through a lot of realistic character development after training with Master Piandao. Or Zuko going on a date with that one Earth Kingdom girl. The plots in Korra are so epic in scale and have a constant sense of urgency, so it feels like there's no time for any breaks. I hope that changes this season.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AshB posted:

The big issue with the show so far has been that it has been very plot heavy without any breaks in between to have character heavy episodes. It would have benefited a lot from longer seasons to allow that breathing room. For example, I'm thinking of the episode of A:TLA where Sokka feels down on himself but goes through a lot of realistic character development after training with Master Piandao. Or Zuko going on a date with that one Earth Kingdom girl. The plots in Korra are so epic in scale and have a constant sense of urgency, so it feels like there's no time for any breaks. I hope that changes this season.
The only time Korra had one of those it was "Spirit of the Competition" in Book 1 and even though it showed off Korra, Mako, and Bolin really well, people loving hated it, going "ARGH YOU COULD JUST SKIP IT AND NOT MISS ANYTHING I HATE PRO-BENDING AND DUMB ROMANCE GO BACK TO AMON!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The only time Korra had one of those it was "Spirit of the Competition" in Book 1 and even though it showed off Korra, Mako, and Bolin really well, people loving hated it, going "ARGH YOU COULD JUST SKIP IT AND NOT MISS ANYTHING I HATE PRO-BENDING AND DUMB ROMANCE GO BACK TO AMON!"

I will personally fight everyone who hates pro-bending. That poo poo was great from concept all the way through. Hell, I'd watch a spin-off about the rise of a new pro-bending team and love every minute of it.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 23, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Pretty sure after you've already paid a studio to animate stuff you can't just be like "Hey wait this isn't up to code" and trash all their work and start from scratch. Budgeting doesn't work like that, dude.
When I hire an animation studio to work on my international TV show, I make sure to do it blindly. No test footage needed, not even a Google search (that first image is from 2010 :ssh:)

Also, according to your own wiki quote, their ~Budgeting~ allowed them to be like "Hey wait this isn't up to code" mid-season and hire another studio so, there you go, dude. Too bad they didn't do that sooner. Also, replace their writers with new ones.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I will personally fight everyone who hates pro-bending. That poo poo was great from concept all the way through. Hell, I'd watch a spin-off about the rise of a new pro-bending team and love every minute of it.

I, too, love watching mannequins shoot crap at each other.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

seravid posted:

I, too, love watching mannequins shoot crap at each other.

It was literally kung-fu wizard duels. The only bad part about that is that it doesn't exist in our world so I can watch it constantly.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
The Legend of Korra Book 3: Everyone Airbends Better Than Korra

Seriously look at that poo poo with the earthbender-type lady who's probably been bending for like a week while she practices with Korra.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

seravid posted:

When I hire an animation studio to work on my international TV show, I make sure to do it blindly. No test footage needed
__________________/

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The only real problem I have with Water Arms Lady is that it further muddles how bending is done. Remember back in the original series when bending was tied to martial arts moves? Remember how Katara had to constantly be moving to animate her water octopus maneuver? I guess we really are moving more toward "bending is a psychic power" when someone can create and animate water arms that work just like normal arms all the time. I think looking for consistency in bending is a lost cause at this point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Platinum's making an LoK game. Seriously.

• Locked thread