Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I can see a couple I want to try out immediately. Thank you!

Is EA the most common age used in MP games?

EA's main thing is lots of mages, and mages are what wins the game so that's why people like it. As the ages advance, mages generally become less common and more specialized, while the standard troops get tougher - but again, magic is what wins the game so "tough garbage" is still garbage. There are some weird outliers in the later ages like MA Ermor so those can be fun, assuming they aren't banned from your game (everybody hates MA Ermor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ea is the goofiest age, so obviously also the best

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

EA enables memebless by nature of the extremely powerful sacreds that are prevalent there.

Memebless's are actually harder to pull off in Dom5: W9 for example, either gives you +6 defense or Quickness (but only while your god is alive: no imprisoned tribless allowed), as opposed to in Dom4, where you'd get both at all times.

Absum
May 28, 2013

EA is the worst because they still havent buffed Hinnom

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The time with lots of mages is LA, since like half the factions can get 1.5/turn out of their best forts, but the time with mages that do a lot of things or at least one thing very well is EA, yes.

furthermore, LA nations:

Arco - Greeks, in communions. Also an alien, and has an ape (unhelpful).
Lemuria - Very OP ghosts.
Ulm - 30 Years' War but with vampires and ghouls.
Marignon - Spanish Inquisition Discovers Blood Magic.
TC - KHAAAAAAAAN (good faction).
Mictlan - Aztecs. Formerly good troops killed a lot by crossbows.
Abysia - Lava guys who have lost their touch. Many many assassins, though.
Caelum - Flying earth/death mages. Some Air, fire, water.
Ctis - Egypt, but it's lizards. Death + fire magic mostly.
Pangaea - Tryhard centaur faction. Like forests. Earth, Nature, Blood, Water, and now Astral, on a good researcher. Steals/assassinates enemy mages.
Agartha - Cave goons. Animé statuettes upgraded to undead figurines. Nice xbows.
Man - Nihilistic crossbow using cyberpunk faction. Really good.
Midgard - Elves. It's MA but they have a mage that has two forms, and an astral one too. Skinshifters are hard to mass, so the faction is worse.
Utgard - Probably the best cheap research mage in the game in terms of battle magic. Skrattir are still the same.
Bogarus - Russian golden age complete with insane self mutilation cults that make everyone really angry. Huge nerds. Lots and lots of summons.
Patala - Monkey faction but there are snakes in charge. They move slowly but some of them are attractive.
Jomon - Disappointing faction for weebs.
Gath - Really expensive everything for what it is faction. Some blood and earth. Has an out of cap sacred you pay out of the arse for.
Xibalba - Bat faction that's really good even after changes to flying alpha strikes. Access to p much all magic, cheaply, other than fire. Access to more bats in forests and so on. Also toads UW.
Atlantis - Now on land! Heavily armoured inuit ice frogs. They have 25 words for "unit in plate armour that gets better when it's cold, with a magic weapon".
Erytheia - Ptolemaic Pelagia with inbred royal family, on land. Underwater crossbows because they know what year it is. Excellent research. Good Faction.
R'lyeh - Illithids that destroy everything + make it insane. Quite often banned.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

Memebless's are actually harder to pull off in Dom5
Yeah? (this is awake)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Thanks a ton for those summaries and the ages explanation. I'd say more but phone posting with multiple quotes is a pain. Kinda want to give Ulm or TDD a shot.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Are games being organized right now?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Yeah? (this is awake)

Thats... +2 Attack, Air shield, Quickness, +4 Strength, Twist Fate. GIven those scales and the cost of Kailasa's sacreds, that's not saving you. I'm not saying memeblesses are impossible, but that pulling that off in dom4 would be alot more effective.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LA Ulm was my favorite faction in Dom 3 and Dom 4. You get decent priests that are also earth mages and by way of a national spell also moonlight as large antimagic crossbow formations. Astral/blood spies, cheap astral mages that don't need a fort to produce, fortunetellers that give you weak access to basically every kind of magic. One of the best crossbow units in the game, a stealthy one that will gently caress you up with an axe if you try and get in their face. Antitheist ghouls in black plate that murder sacreds with their halberds of no gods no masters. Sacred superheavy cavalry in black plate, the leader of which can often chew up indies on his own. And that's not getting into the vampires and horrors they inevitably summon scores of.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
bless quickness is proper quickness now so its +4 attack +2 defence and +3 strength. and then when you get a kill you get +3 attack more and +3 strength more. and also the first hit against you doesnt count and also you dont get hit by arrows

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Thats... +2 Attack, Air shield, Quickness, +4 Strength, Twist Fate. GIven those scales and the cost of Kailasa's sacreds, that's not saving you. I'm not saying memeblesses are impossible, but that pulling that off in dom4 would be alot more effective.
It's effectively +4 attack + 2 def air shield quickness + 2 strength twist fate, +3 att/str +1 def/reinvig after wounding anything that isn't a skeleton, and quickness is now not only better because it's True Quickness ie double attacks every turn. It's Good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Memebless's are actually harder to pull off in Dom5: W9 for example, either gives you +6 defense or Quickness (but only while your god is alive: no imprisoned tribless allowed), as opposed to in Dom4, where you'd get both at all times.

You can stack some egregiously stupid poo poo now just not the same stuff as before. Memeblesses are alive and well.

Absum posted:

EA is the worst because they still havent buffed Hinnom

Hinnom was buffed significantly with cost changes.

You should try that bless with their silly awe sacreds it's dumb as hell.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

LA Ulm was my favorite faction in Dom 3 and Dom 4. You get decent priests that are also earth mages and by way of a national spell also moonlight as large antimagic crossbow formations. Astral/blood spies, cheap astral mages that don't need a fort to produce, fortunetellers that give you weak access to basically every kind of magic. One of the best crossbow units in the game, a stealthy one that will gently caress you up with an axe if you try and get in their face. Antitheist ghouls in black plate that murder sacreds with their halberds of no gods no masters. Sacred superheavy cavalry in black plate, the leader of which can often chew up indies on his own. And that's not getting into the vampires and horrors they inevitably summon scores of.

I love pretty much everything about this, honestly. Definitely Ulm first. (Even though I might not start in that era.)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mu eat the eggs post the thread

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Prism posted:

Definitely Ulm first.

Incidentally, that's generally what happens when everyone decides on who to attack in LA.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You should try that bless with their silly awe sacreds it's dumb as hell.
this is incidentally that bless

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh yea, Yavanas have awe. That makes the bless alot better.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

As if scales builds weren't rare enough already.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Oh yea, Yavanas have awe. That makes the bless alot better.
They also each put out 4 attacks/turn, and in Dominions 5, unlike dom 4, do not waste overkill attacks, so long as you can send them to an adjacent square. So that's 8 30 or so damage attacks/square/turn once they get going. Very good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Someone who is not me cannibalize this thread and make a new one for dom5.

If by this weekend no one has made one, I will take a stab at doing it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

4 artisan triarii per square now in order to provide the maximum number of targets for the yavana to kill.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

They're still very possible!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zauper posted:

Anyone else having an issue launching dom5 on a mac?

If you read the Steam forums, you will see the answer is: everyone. Everyone with a mac have problems launching the game. Go look there, maybe there is a workaround.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 27, 2017

Absum
May 28, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hinnom was buffed significantly with cost changes.

Does the 5g on avvim chassis make that much of a difference or are you mainly referring to the buildings which I hadn't seen yet?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Hmm. Has anyone put together an AI No Recruit mod for Dom5 during the testing period? Trying things out in SP without one is probably going to have the same problems as Dom3/4.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Absum posted:

Does the 5g on avvim chassis make that much of a difference or are you mainly referring to the buildings which I hadn't seen yet?

Buildings. They lost the fort cost penalty. Also chariots and giants w/ javelins own bones with the new combat engine.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

Hmm. Has anyone put together an AI No Recruit mod for Dom5 during the testing period? Trying things out in SP without one is probably going to have the same problems as Dom3/4.
If you have the old one it'll work just as well in dom 5 - no preexisting unit IDs were changed, and the #ainorec command still works.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Is there a built in equivalent to the debug sensei? I'd like to go through the construction list to see what kinds of shenanigans I can do with a rainbow in this edition.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Is there a built in equivalent to the debug sensei? I'd like to go through the construction list to see what kinds of shenanigans I can do with a rainbow in this edition.

Debug mod ports cleanly and you can add the other stuff to it if you care to easily.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

There isn't but here's the debug mod with the IDs increased so it should cover everything: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3weyok99tgp6jvn/debug501.zip?dl=0

Additional mods:

One for Yomi to make it less risible (more recruits, including sacred onis, and prophetising your commanders will make them better + different, plus additional gold events for raiding to help fix their 25% income penalty): https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdkxj0g7qhc71gv/Yomi_mod_v2.zip?dl=0

Repop with updated nation IDs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oani9wis7i9i4va/Repop_Dom5.zip?dl=0

BoT-B-Gone but for dom 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij3azqcbfq5sft2/bbg_dom5.zip?dl=0

And me and Sumwon are working on a very early balance patch (some of the problems are baked into the game for now which is annoying, though, like Pan's temple labs/temples) which will be out soon.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 27, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
One small neat change I really like: "Guard Commander" now turns units into bodyguards, kept glued to their commander and their squad stops being counted as a separate squad!

(I secretly hated how I sometimes had to decide between another full squad and guards.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Interesting, pinging thrones with scouts sometimes have a cost:

I like it, because it always felt too cheap.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 27, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I like it, because it was felt too cheap.

The more neighboring provs you own the more likely they are to not do that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I like it, because it was felt too cheap.

Interesting fact: I always set my scouts to suicidally attack thrones and subsequently lost 100% of them during my time playing Dom4!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The more neighboring provs you own the more likely they are to not do that.

I was doing er... forward scouting, looking at thrones still a bit far away from my lands. That explains the death, lol.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I've been experimenting with death squad Marignon. You can recruit 3 assassins per turn in your cap, and then park them in a province and just murder all of the leaders present. Then, send in one to attack while the rest move to the next province to perpetuate the leader extermination. It's so dumb, but so fun

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

IAmThatIs posted:

I've been experimenting with death squad Marignon. You can recruit 3 assassins per turn in your cap, and then park them in a province and just murder all of the leaders present. Then, send in one to attack while the rest move to the next province to perpetuate the leader extermination. It's so dumb, but so fun
LA Aby does it even better - they have an H1 assassin for 1 rec point so you can self bless with some good assassination stuff (Fear is pretty choice)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

LA Aby does it even better - they have an H1 assassin for 1 rec point so you can self bless with some good assassination stuff (Fear is pretty choice)

A few of those bastards in your neighbor's research fort is a good lot of fun, as is the veritable fountain of profanity sure to come from said neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Sometimes half the battle is just not being an idiot. Started a three empire small random map and had to work up to getting water breathing with a fire nation just so I could get the final throne. In the mean time I'm holding back the hordes of MA Ermor frantically figuring out whether I should rush to get the last throne or research up fire magic to deal with the undead. And yet what do I have readily available? Rank 2 priests that can drop endless ashes to ashes, and yet the thought of holy fires over magical fires to deal with them just doesn't come to me until I'm already on my run for the last throne.

Actual question though, I thought I saw in one of the intro videos there was a command to bring up a log in battle, not just the scrolling one on the top left but one you could manually go through? Can't find the hotkey if that is the case.

Edit:
Also why does the window minimize when you select another one on borderless mode? Not that big of a deal but so frustrating.

Edit #2:
loving hell, my thug died in the water battle because he was so built around fire spells and I forgot to switch him to different tactics, back to square one.

nessin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 27, 2017

• Locked thread