Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Wow, this is a thing- looks like I will be learning how to play this at some point. It's weird, I watched Matryx's video LP of this in 2007, played a bit in 2013 but could never get into it. Is there a steam group or a discord, or is everyone still irc troglodytes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

nessin posted:

Actual question though, I thought I saw in one of the intro videos there was a command to bring up a log in battle, not just the scrolling one on the top left but one you could manually go through? Can't find the hotkey if that is the case.

F1 in the battle screen. You can even see each unit's personalized battle history. Push "?" to see all the different available shortcuts

Mugsbaloney posted:

Wow, this is a thing- looks like I will be learning how to play this at some point. It's weird, I watched Matryx's video LP of this in 2007, played a bit in 2013 but could never get into it. Is there a steam group or a discord, or is everyone still irc troglodytes?

https://discord.gg/3cP7Zxx
This is the main discord for all Dom5

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A discord so bad I quit it on release lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Omg, Brereton, the puns in your Pretender pack...

Absum
May 28, 2013

Mugsbaloney posted:

Goons are still mostly limited to irc and the mapgoons discord I think? There are also two dom5 discords that I know of, one for pbe and one for direct connect. I dunno if any goons are actively using them though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
where's the new thread so I can finally close this one?

e: Also need a new pgs thread with updated links

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 27, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Erytheia, the new LA quasi-underwater nation, seems... good?

- Cap-only sacred heavyish infantry with awe when abovewater
- Cap-only mages that will range from "alarmingly good and terrifying for the cost" to "lol 3 points in 3 different paths", averaging 5 path points (and two holy) for 210g. Also, 5% insanity :cthulhu:
- aquatic mages that can turn 3 water gems a turn into astral pearls at a 1:1 ratio
- coastal-and-underwater mages that are 1f1s, 1 (EFWA), 50% W, 50% E, 50% A, 165 gold, sacred (which is sub-ideal in noncap mages, but hey, at least they're half upkeep), good researchers
- landlocked mystics that I think are totally normal mystics, 1S 1 (FWES), aka communion fodder mostly
- coastal crossbows with crossbows that can FIRE UNDERWATER :raise:
- everything you care about is amphibious except the pearl mages and maybe the triton cavalry

No blood access outside of a pretender, which is a bit of a ding in LA in particular, but some of their mages will come out monstrous, they can build very flexible communions, and the cap-only awe infantry are pretty great for early expansion.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Cap-only mages that will range from "alarmingly good and terrifying for the cost" to "lol 3 points in 3 different paths", averaging 5 path points (and two holy) for 210g. Also, 5% insanity :cthulhu:
Also when they marry they get a boost to H3, so between them and your prophet you have at least 3 smiters to fight off a PG rush with.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Did the throne defenders used special done-by-hand scripts? Or is the AI better?
I found some mages that cast a good selection of spells. Communion Master > Flaming Arrows > Falling Fires x 3. They had two big archer squads.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The AI will use communion spells now but I think the main time it practically applies for most of us is that one relatively common throne defence has a lore master and some sages who will gang up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just for giggles, the hypothetical maximum spell paths out of the box for Erytheian

Princesses: 3F 1A 3W 2E 1S 1(AES)
Princes: 3F 1A 2W 1E 3S 1(AWE)

which will happen one in 65536 recruitments

in general I like the princes better because their base non-fire path is astral rather than water

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Does 5 do single player any better? I traditionally get my rear end whipped in multi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

boho posted:

Does 5 do single player any better? I traditionally get my rear end whipped in multi.

It really feels like the AI handles fight scripting better, or rather like the units are smarter when left to their own devices which benefits the side that does less scripting.

it still might need a recruit-limiting mod though

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How long until the clown mod is updated for Dom5?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Too long

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
The only reason it shouldn't be included in every game is if it conflicts with something else.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

How long until the clown mod is updated for Dom5?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf645cy7vi9m53w/clowns_dom5.7z?dl=0

You mean this clown mod?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Can you make custom forts so clowns can have tiered bouncy castles.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can you make custom forts so clowns can have tiered bouncy castles.
Sadly not yet.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don't plan on updating my code to support Dom5. Hope it already works or someone submits a patch!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The mapgen may need a little work.

Just started a Ctis game where I technically have access to the mainland... but only through "freezes in winter" crossings. As Ctis. :saddowns:

still tempted to play it and rush the continent before my dominion renders everything impassable and/or harness my access to water magic to grab a later beachhead

edit not gonna lie I might be tickled to see this in an actual game because I could be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat

seventeen functionally-impregnable provinces as long as I push my lovely miasma dominion

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Lizards can go over rivers actually

There's a little green icon that says "Swimming" for units that have it; the other way is to buy the Water Walking bless.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh god it's here.
Also:

Azram Legion posted:

If the modding is still easy to do in 5 then I will waste some hours at the office doing this at some point shortly after release, and maybe implement some of the other dumb ideas I never got around to. I swear on my honor as a Wu Tang Modsman.

The Promise Has Been Made

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How is the single player in this? I know this series is very popular for MP, but that's not something I'm really interested in.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

How is the single player in this? I know this series is very popular for MP, but that's not something I'm really interested in.
It's very playable but the game is definitely at its best versus other players.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Lizards can go over rivers actually

There's a little green icon that says "Swimming" for units that have it; the other way is to buy the Water Walking bless.

:stare:

okay yeah that would be a completely STUPID start in an actual game

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I pretty much play Single Player only, and this update has been pretty neat.

I really like the end of game replay.

I also like that repeat actions have been made easier to do without having to look up a special keystroke.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
So EA Abysia is just a pile of fun with a very easy to grab Awe blessing. Just throw Burning Ones at poo poo, maybe with a scorpion king and roll through everything. Abysia still seems to suck but I'm having a bit more fun with them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

With the guard commander change and the battle change, giving your commander a guard squad seems nearly mandatory. It seems a lot easier for assholes to pop past the battle lines and shank your commander.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just played a game with Uttervast as my pretender. Pretty cool to watch him zoom around murdering stuff.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

it's turn 13 and they've taken no provs. illwinter programmed in the niefel giant strat, too powerful

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

it's turn 13 and they've taken no provs. illwinter programmed in the niefel giant strat, too powerful
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31148 :911:

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

So does getting a pretender to 9 or 10 dominion no longer give it awe?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CrimsonWolf posted:

So does getting a pretender to 9 or 10 dominion no longer give it awe?
Nope. Gotta have innate awe or buy the bless. 9 or 10 will help a lot if your pretender is dying, since they can lose domscore by doing that.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have officially updated my map generator for Dominions 5. Go tell me everything that's broken.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Corbeau posted:

Go tell me everything that's broken.

1. The game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Nope. Gotta have innate awe or buy the bless. 9 or 10 will help a lot if your pretender is dying, since they can lose domscore by doing that.

wait what

gonna set the awe thing aside, what's this losing domscore when murdered bullshit

do you lose push domscore? do you lose max domscore? do you lose sacred recruitment?

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait what

gonna set the awe thing aside, what's this losing domscore when murdered bullshit

do you lose push domscore? do you lose max domscore? do you lose sacred recruitment?

dont die

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait what

OK so remember how back in the day you lost 1 of all your magic when you died?

Now you don't do that. You can lose 1 of any magic (Nature is more likely than other paths to loser, Death/Blood you can very rarely GAIN), or Dominion. If you don't have magic left you always lose domscore. It can't go below 1, but 1 is pretty low.

Ur/Uruk's gods are still inert, and so are immortals, who also don't lose their innate blesses when reforming, but do still lose them when in another dimension/not yet awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'd forgotten about one major annoyance I had with Dom4 that is still there in Dom5, nation specific magic spells with magic requirements that aren't in your nation at all. I don't know why that bugs me, and I know you can empower or craft gear to get what you're missing (or craft your pretender for it) but for some reason it aggravates the hell out of me.

• Locked thread