Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
MA Abysia Warlocks are not slow to recruit, but Demonbred mages are. Works for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

I was messing around with Lemuria, which is basically ghost nation, and I got a random event that gave me a gift of reasoned vampire. He had invulnerable 25 and was actually able to beat up two indi provinces by himself. Eventually he managed to get his head cut off, making him blind, mute, and feebleminded. All of which eventually healed.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Totally want to join on this one, don't care if I'm pretender or disciple.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Its because capitals start with their forts fully upgraded which makes their defense rather high.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Dont forget foul vapors, enchantment 5 n3w1. Conveniently enchantment also has spells for giving your troops poison resistance.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

You couldn't have seen it because it was sneaking around in pan form at the time you attacked.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Jotun Giants are the size 4 giants, you mean niefel giants right?

Also, dont forget as a blood nation Abysia can forge boots of youth and cast blood feast to stave off aging afflictions on important mages. That and take growth scales. Ive played MA abysia and aging isnt as huge an issue as it seems.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

All hail the new overlords of the world, MA Pagartha.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Barono posted:

By far the best item to give an assassin is a skull talisman. const 0, and lets him summon an endless stream of skeletons. This will pretty much guarantee a win unless you die before your first action, or if they summon bigger/better stuff before they fatigue out.

This can sometimes fail against water mages, as they will cast frozen heart which the skeletons are immune to and your assassin is not.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Neruz posted:

When the Silver Sarcophagus opens, bad poo poo happens. Death oriented nations like MA Ermor sometimes get a quest line to put a dude on the Sarcophagus and get something good instead, but if it opens on its own duck and cover because poo poo is about to go down.

MA Ermor actually gets the divine mummy from ancient temples. Silver Sarcophagus's give them a hostile divine mummy just like everyone else. I think.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Neruz posted:

Each path in nature increases maxage by 50%, each path in fire decreases it by 5% to a maximum of -5 years per path, each path in death increases maxage for undead dudes (I don't know why either) and decreases the chances of getting afflictins due to old age for living dudes.

Also, demons gain more years from blood magic, and lifeless beings gain more years from earth magic.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Dont forget MA Mictlan still has the slavery thing going on, even if blood magic/sacrifice was abolished.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Neruz posted:

The Wild Hunt is actually an exception because the Lord of the Hunt is fuckin hardcore and likes to do things like attack enemy pretender gods and enslave them,

Pretenders are immune to spells like enslave mind

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Jabarto posted:

In one of my last games, I lost a fight against some independents when an enemy arrow just happened to hit my Vanjarl on round one, do enough damage to afflict him with Battle Fright, and make him flee the field without my army ever engaging the enemy. Now the same thing just happened with a Tuatha, except that instead of getting afflicted he bled to death before he could leave the field. As amusing and improbable as it is, maybe I should try a missile shield amulet next time.

Dont waste gems on an amulet, both those guys can cast air shield

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Also note the 50 encumbrance

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Too bad those markata will never go berserk without a nature or death bless due to them having 6 hp

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

For some reason, in flute, agarthas capital site ended up on my capital and I was able to recruit their sacred cap only troops. Not that they were useful besides being slugs with magic weapons.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Defense on a super combatant is not an important attribute, since every consecutive attack carries a -2 defense penalty, so unless you are fighting giants you are going to get hit anyway.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

For the record, I wasn't turtling, I was invading Ulm and even took his capital. My dai onis weren't invincible, when you went AI the AI took over and killed 2 dai onis in a group of 3 by summoning a dozen earth elementals. In IRC you mentioned you didnt have the research to use things like petrify or blood magic against my dai oni, but remember you can always hide inside your forts and research alt 6 or blood 5 in not too much time. Il take your undefended provinces in the mean time but because they arent forts you can easily use your vanjarls to snatch them all back.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

turmoil luck needs to be combined with other scales that unlock the gold/gem events. Magic 3 is a great scale to take with turmoil luck for example. Production and growth also have some gold events.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Thats just how poison damage works, the battle keeps running until all units are no longer on fire/poisoned.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Maybe because the one guy is a prophet? I dont know.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

jBrereton posted:

By literally hundreds of gold, yeah.

Have a good one trying to protect it from Dust to Dust while still being useful at all.

e: on reflection I'm pretty sure Magic Duel doesn't affect lifeless units so they should be safe from that at least.

Its mindless units that are not effected by magic duel. Lifeless units are fair game.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

The Second Sun shines day and night, so I would assume it makes heat increase as it normally would.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Blood slaves dont work underwater because they have to be humans. I believe its said in a few places that the power of blood magic comes from the blood of humans.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Don't C'tis dudes tend to have enough protection to mostly shrug that off? I know the tomb chariots have like 15 protection and the summoned priests have 11 and giant-like hp.

Thats why you cast rain of stones several times

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Dying might give you even more afflictions though. Id only do it if he was feeble minded or something horrible like that.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Its those underworld bookies, they obviously rigged the arena so the underdog daimyo would win against the dragon and then their spectre buddies would rake in some serious winnings.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Certain nations can make good use of construction 8 by grabbing the magic booster items

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

The reason a path 4 mage cant cast a path 5 spell with 500 fatigue is because it requires 5 gems, and you can only spend as many gems on a spell as you have levels in that path. To cast that spell at level 4 youd need 5 for the spell itself and 1 more to boost you up, but you can only use 4 gems at a time. Only a path 5 or up mage can cast that spell.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

What's a good strategy for LA Jomon? Looking through their unit and national summons list I thought they looked like a good next nation to try out, but my few test games I can't even figure out a good expansion strategy. The biggest problem is that their troops seem to be comically weak to archers since as far as I can tell none of them have shields. The resource cost for each unit is so high I can't replace my losses against even independents, let alone recruit multiple expansion armies.

So far I've tried an E4N9 bless with yamabushi (they don't heal fast enough, plus they're cap-only so not a great long-term strategy) and several dragon or titan pretender chassis builds with A1 that can cast Air Shield. (after taking down 2-3 provinces with army in tow they either got killed or had multiple mortal wounds) Prior to this game most of my pretenders were straight research/forging/ritual machines but I don't think that will work this time.

I feel like if I could survive long enough to get some decent research and artifact forging going under way I could do something with them but I can't get that far. I'm still pretty new to Dom4 so I'm probably just missing something obvious.

Put some 1 man squads in the front on hold and attack, the AI will usually target them instead of your main army. Also try recruiting some indi troops that have shields.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

TheresNoThyme posted:

Interesting thing about firebirds: if you are sieging someone's capitol and they have firebirds inside, you get the events those birds generate since you're the owner of that province.

So if you see Bogarus spamming firebirds, siege his capitol and then mock him into going AI before he suicides all his birds. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of your very own firebird slave colony.

Wont work, the AI will suicide the birds into you.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh ffs... I built an expensive Jade Mask and it's only usable by Ctis. :(

Atleast now noone else can build it and use it against you!

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It hits 50% of all units on the field at random, for 8+RNG armor-piercing damage. You'll need a lot of earthquakes to take them out.

Its not 8+RNG, thats kinda misleading because armor also gets +RNG, after its halfed by AP

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Even if its an armor negating attack the armor still gets the dice roll

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Okay, how about this?

Extra dom so you can abuse your immortal vamps easier, more scales and S5D5B5. Loses innate spellcaster, but gets immortality and the ability to wear a shiny hat.

With an astral cap, crystal coin and ring of sorcery you can still hit S8. Ulm's mages only have 1 point in a lot of paths, so I thought S8 for wizardry might be good for diversity. I'm not sure how relevant that is for multiplayer though, from reading the threads here they don't seem to last that long.

I'm also not sure on the sloth. Ulm's high resource troops look pretty niche to me.

Dont take blood on a pretender for a blood nation, its a waste of points unless you want a blood bless. Try a regular lich with astral and death magic.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Blood is cheap to empower into though, 50 slaves isnt much compared to 50 gems

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Oh yeah i keep forgetting they have vampires at blood 0. Please listen to people that are not me.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

you can also cast storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

Don't clump together a fire mage communion

• Locked thread