Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Skipped 3k posts! The throwback episode with Mac in the Hornets Starter jacket was my favorite. Ireland was cool, and why this season could have used 10 episodes. Also, what did you guys think of the double episodes each week so it only lasted a month? I mean good for me, but like my monkey beer I like to savor things.

Sniped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
With just an 8-episode season, I thought the quick release was the way to go.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dongicus posted:

You are dumb as a bug

Coming from someone who never got out of their Habbo Hotel phase, I'll wear that as a badge of honour.

In conclusion: Get lost, bozo.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i don't know what that means but you post like a freak and are dumber than a bug

anyway... anyone getting low-key abuse vibes from the 3 stooges btw? reminds me of that chud game pokemon (its basically cockfighting, look it up)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Dongicus I'm gonna stop you right there. Your posts smell like old lady farts passing through an onion.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

on topic: anyone find it hosed up when peter griffin... just like... did anything. wow. it's funny, he's a family guy and all but i would NOT use him as a role model

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Michael Corleone posted:

Skipped 3k posts! The throwback episode with Mac in the Hornets Starter jacket was my favorite. Ireland was cool, and why this season could have used 10 episodes. Also, what did you guys think of the double episodes each week so it only lasted a month? I mean good for me, but like my monkey beer I like to savor things.
Sniped!

Normally I'd have preferred it to be weekly since the show being all over in a month would feel rushed. But they came out at such a packed time of year for me personally that getting to catch it all compressed like that really worked out for me. I'm hoping for a regular weekly schedule for next season but that they release it a little earlier in the year when I'm not quite as busy.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i watch always sunny so i can do the leo meme point when a morally condemable action occurs, do you?

i laugh at the jokes in a big bed with my wife

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i am of a very strict one episode per week persuasion, so i unsubscribed to this thread and only read it once i had seen the episode of the week, but it was hard because people were also talking about the episode from next week

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0W_NEDff0c

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

You're just mashin' it now, snail.

Anyway I didn't exactly expect a thread about Sunny to be a bulwark of progressive discourse on the forums, but I appreciate the posters who overlooked my scatterbrained verbosity and had legitimately salient things to say on the subject. :gbsmith: As before, I'm probably never going to stop enjoying watching the Gang do and say outmoded and morally bankrupt things, but it's nice to know that I'm not wrong for considering things with some degree of questioning, yet continuing to enjoy them. What someone said above about the Gang not doing the doubling-down thing like Chappelle or CK was great, and also this is a really good point:

The Sean posted:

If irl racists/homophobes/etc are jumping ship then it's some evidence that the show is doing something right.

The Sean posted:

Roxy has risen from the dead and cleaned up a little bit to appear as a mom on Euphoria:

Alanna Ubach was always a smokeshow. It's a testament to incredibly impressive makeup and costume design that she looked so believably like an alcohol-soaked prostitute on Sunny. I have this sort of conversation a lot with people who work in film, either as actors ("Man that accent on Camina Drummer is incredible, I thought she actually talked like that!" "Uh yeah bro, it's called loving acting?") or crew roles, that it never ceases to amaze me how their work can completely change the tone of a character. Margaret McPoyle is a great example of this. I mean, even Liam is, though I'll never see him in a serious role and not immediately think "You think I'm bluffing?! Then bluff this: Ryan! Stab somebody!!!"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought Mac's Starter jacket was perfect. It was the only time North Carolina was the coolest place on planet Earth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
she was a smokeshow in always sunny, i'd marry her. she takes of your crank and your heart.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 22, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Every night I shovel cat food into my mouth and jump into bed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fartington Butts posted:

Every night I shovel cat food into my mouth and jump into bed.

It's the only way your cat will make out with you.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Oh yeah, I got followed here by like fifty cats.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

Can you believe the poo poo Bart Simpson gets away with

That is NOT what shorts are for <:mad:>

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
They're going to be talking about the hard r on Monday. It's going to be fun!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mister Speaker posted:

You're just mashin' it now, snail.

Anyway I didn't exactly expect a thread about Sunny to be a bulwark of progressive discourse on the forums, but I appreciate the posters who overlooked my scatterbrained verbosity and had legitimately salient things to say on the subject. :gbsmith: As before, I'm probably never going to stop enjoying watching the Gang do and say outmoded and morally bankrupt things, but it's nice to know that I'm not wrong for considering things with some degree of questioning, yet continuing to enjoy them. What someone said above about the Gang not doing the doubling-down thing like Chappelle or CK was great, and also this is a really good point:

Alanna Ubach was always a smokeshow. It's a testament to incredibly impressive makeup and costume design that she looked so believably like an alcohol-soaked prostitute on Sunny. I have this sort of conversation a lot with people who work in film, either as actors ("Man that accent on Camina Drummer is incredible, I thought she actually talked like that!" "Uh yeah bro, it's called loving acting?") or crew roles, that it never ceases to amaze me how their work can completely change the tone of a character. Margaret McPoyle is a great example of this. I mean, even Liam is, though I'll never see him in a serious role and not immediately think "You think I'm bluffing?! Then bluff this: Ryan! Stab somebody!!!"

I was really hoping to see Fred Johnson in the latest season :(

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's funny because nobody planned for Mac to be secretly gay as early as season one, Mac is pretty distinctly heterosexual in the first and second seasons, I don't think that the Mac Gay plot really starts getting established well into the 6th or 7th season, maybe there are some jokes earlier but in seasons one and two he's not gay and nobody had future plans for him to be gay, this is even stated explicitly by Rob in the podcast, he laughs at the very notion that there could possibly be foreshadowing for the Mac Gay plot in the first season.

So, the Carmen plot, which was literally the first plot of the show and appears in the unaired pilot where Carmen is being portrayed by Morena Baccarin, is certainly not written as a foil to a future plot nobody planned; if anything it's more likely that this plot itself led the way to Mac being conflicted about his sexual identity rather than the other way around.

And in regards to how progressive or not this whole plot is, as others said, Carmen is never presented in a mocking fashion by the show itself but I do think that this plot is really not as progressive as people like to view it today and the audience is supposed to think that Mac presenting as 'super straight' while being attracted to a transexual is in itself 'funny', but I think it's fair to say that not many people were super woke about trans issues back in 2006 or whenever, ultimately regardless of what all the intended jokes were meant to be Carmen is presented as someone who is just a better human being than the members of the gang and it seems like nobody outside the gang actually cares about the fact that she is transexual or views her as anything other than a woman, so I think that the lingering impression is that of a positive depiction of a transexual woman, even if by today's standards it might be a little iffy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly you can look at Friends then Always Sunny and see where we are not and see the progression of society and maybe not be offended or upset. Even though there was the T word and also a "she's a dude" line... but they did actually at least refer to her as she/her otherwise...

Where as Friends did it this way... they even through in a laugh track the 1 time Chandler caller her Mam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGOJ7DCgeyE

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carmen is also one of the only characters in the show that gets an unqualified happy ending. She got married, had a baby, and never had to deal with the gang again.
Compare to other "normal" people that get destroyed by the gang like Cricket, the lawyer, the Ponderosas, the oldies rock cafe guy, Art Sloan, Bruce Matthis, etc, etc.

Everyone else who touches them gets destroyed as if the gangs mere presence is enough to completely unleash the darkness in the deepest parts of your soul

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

I thought it was done well when her boyfriend was there and said that Mac had a whole lot of questions and that he was actually the gay one because she still had a penis when they were together. Also, she gave 'good' advice to Charlie and Frank-- nothing gay about a couple of best buds getting married for the benefits!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Dennis: "One's a man, one's a woman. How is it gay?"

I think the use of that slur was more them being ignorant than malicious. Off the top of my head, How I Met Your Mother and Friends threw that word around a few times too. As Frank would say, (matter of factly) "Those were the days."

On that topic, Mac says "she-male" at some point, I think the Liberty Bell episode.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

so what we've sussed out of this situation is that sunny is actually the morally superior sitcom when compared to basically all others

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FireWorksWell posted:

As Frank would say, (matter of factly) "Those were the days."

...you sound like you yearn for those days, FireWorks!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

this is even stated explicitly by Rob in the podcast, he laughs at the very notion that there could possibly be foreshadowing for the Mac Gay plot in the first season.

as i lay in my death bed breathing my last, i will grunt out a final few haunting words to my nurse - "Mac is totally gay in season 1 because when Terrell talks about pounding the dude in the rear end in the alley, Mac says he would like to do things like that"

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 22, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

...you sound like you yearn for those days, FireWorks!

No, I'm just sayin', those were the days!

Speaking of Frank's Brother, I came across a couple images that must have been from an earlier draft of the episode; looks like the Gang would have been involved in the flashbacks in the role of the police.

edit: links useless

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 22, 2022

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

FireWorksWell posted:

As Frank would say, (matter of factly) "Those were the days."

When you were over in Vietnam?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

FireWorksWell posted:

No, I'm just sayin', those were the days!

Speaking of Frank's Brother, I came across a couple images that must have been from an earlier draft of the episode; looks like the Gang would have been involved in the flashbacks in the role of the police.

Dee
Dennis and Charlie

your image links are broken bc of the extra stuff in the url after `.jpg`

here:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Michael Corleone posted:

When you were over in Vietnam?

Still one of my favorite throwaway lines:
"I was in Viet Nam."
"You went to Viet Nam, in the 90s."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

your image links are broken bc of the extra stuff in the url after `.jpg`

here:

Oh, thanks! Had no idea.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm not positive but I thought that they decided early on that Mac was gay. Maybe not season one, like someone said above but pretty early on.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Carmen is also one of the only characters in the show that gets an unqualified happy ending. She got married, had a baby, and never had to deal with the gang again.
Compare to other "normal" people that get destroyed by the gang like Cricket, the lawyer, the Ponderosas, the oldies rock cafe guy, Art Sloan, Bruce Matthis, etc, etc.

Everyone else who touches them gets destroyed as if the gangs mere presence is enough to completely unleash the darkness in the deepest parts of your soul

This is an extremely good point. One of the only people to survive the gang.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What happens to Bruce? I thought he just peaced out and then was only ever mentioed off-screen again?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nothing does. They keep trying to do terrible things to him but keep getting the wrong person. Which is a shame considering the actor is a diddler.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drat. Say what you like about Frank but he does not diddle kids

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Mac seems pretty eager to get a blowjob from Mr. Belding in season one.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

No Dignity posted:

drat. Say what you like about Frank but he does not diddle kids

Saying that makes it sound like he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Michael Corleone posted:

Saying that makes it sound like he does

We need to write a song about how we don't diddle kids!