Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i greatly respect rob's craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That was probably my favorite episode of the podcast so far. Very dense with fascinating insights and old stories. Good poo poo.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Always Sunny Podcast is a podcast that I did not know I needed until I started listening to it. Just great. Way better than I had imagined when I first heard about it a few months back.

Just got through watching 'The Nightman Cometh' on a current rewatch. Am I the only one who finds this episode to be terribly overrated?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Always Sunny Podcast is a podcast that I did not know I needed until I started listening to it. Just great. Way better than I had imagined when I first heard about it a few months back.

Just got through watching 'The Nightman Cometh' on a current rewatch. Am I the only one who finds this episode to be terribly overrated?

what dont you like about it? it might not be my favorite overall, but it works well in highlighting each gang members quirks and nuances in how much they each want to be the star of the play and gently caress with charlie's vision while he's plotting this whole thing to hide an elaborate new way of trying to achieve his ultimate goal of getting with the waitress. blablabla you get the idea but bc everyone gets a chance to shine and bc it deviates, successfully, from the gang's usual activities/setting, it's def a standout for most people.

also the way mac asks charlie who they're doing the play "versus" is so loving funny

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

nobody writes a musical for no reason!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Endless Trash posted:

That was probably my favorite episode of the podcast so far. Very dense with fascinating insights and old stories. Good poo poo.

It absolutely did not shock me even for a moment that they were actually, literally just waterboarding Dee in the toilet. She looked so hosed up and sounded so desperate, such a great talent. Podcast is giving me newfound respect for just how funny Kaitlin really is

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ShoogaSlim posted:

what dont you like about it? it might not be my favorite overall, but it works well in highlighting each gang members quirks and nuances in how much they each want to be the star of the play and gently caress with charlie's vision while he's plotting this whole thing to hide an elaborate new way of trying to achieve his ultimate goal of getting with the waitress. blablabla you get the idea but bc everyone gets a chance to shine and bc it deviates, successfully, from the gang's usual activities/setting, it's def a standout for most people.

also the way mac asks charlie who they're doing the play "versus" is so loving funny

I didn't say that I dislike the episode....persay. I just don't get why it's as highly regarded as it is. Basically....child molestation is every other joke. A little too 'blue' for my tastes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

RestingB1tchFace posted:

A little too 'blue' for my tastes.

what does this mean?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ShoogaSlim posted:

what does this mean?

Basically to be "off-color". Overtly vulgar or dirty. There are some bits in the episode that work for me. Mac getting laughed at throughout the show as he acts like a ninja cat....even though he was going for "gasps" specifically. But the running joke throughout the episode is that the entire play is an innuendo on child molestation. I just didn't find it to be all that good of a bit. Nothing really clever about it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i laughed at and smiled at the episode where they sing about charlie's hole getting filled. charlie accidentally wrote a play about himself getting molested and pimped out by his own mother, and all of his arrogant piece of poo poo friends see it and go "oh poo poo, how can I use this to enrich myself." further, charlie is also an arrogant piece of poo poo, and the musical is merely another futile way to try and win the waitress' heart. to add an extra layer of Comedia to the mix, everyone is only the way they are because their upbringings were terrible (see above), disgusting, nightmarish settings for children to experience. i thought it was funnier than the first time they tackled child molestation (Charlie Gets Molested), but less funny than the other time they tackled child molestation (Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties), and generally a little worse than when they briefly touch upon child molestation for the lols (Sweet Dee's Dating a Redacted Person, The Great Recession, idk probably every other episode Andrew Friedman is in)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Charlie leading everyone on into thinking the play is a sincere expression of his trauma that he just wants to use to try and explain to the world why he is how he is before revealing no he just thought it was a surefire way to get the waitress to marry him is a brilliant joke

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man Kaitlin Olson is such a professional. It takes a special person to stick with a job where they literally got waterboarded. Also what the gently caress, guys!?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

She'll always have my respect for the car faceplant in Who Pooped the Bed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes, I have a broken back, but go ahead and waterboard me as well. That's totally fine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yes, I have a broken back, but go ahead and waterboard me as well. That's totally fine.

"Okay thanks, we'll do that." -Her future husband

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dont kinkshame

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

She'll always have my respect for the car faceplant in Who Pooped the Bed.

To this day it's my prime example of physical comedy and a comedian committing to the bit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jumped back in and nixed the reason I dropped it right away- which was the awkwardness of the new studio and ad format. I checked the latest vids and it flows much more naturally now imo, good on them for being genuinely willing to listen to feedback and solve them. The podcast is like so much better than after they'd just changed studios, it really was just growing pains.

I dunno just felt like throwing some positivity in. Pod's still cool.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 28, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also jumping back into the convo to say yeah Kaitlin owns and dumping headfirst into a car is way more normal-person-cool than any train dangling stunt tom cruise has done

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea the podcast has had some ups and downs, but overall it's been great and I've not missed an episode. I do think the ads are a bit weird and kind of forced. Which really I don't get, they could most likely make more money just running a Patreon or something with some bonus content then they are getting promoting the same garbage companies that try to advertise on every YouTube channel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea the podcast has had some ups and downs, but overall it's been great and I've not missed an episode. I do think the ads are a bit weird and kind of forced. Which really I don't get, they could most likely make more money just running a Patreon or something with some bonus content then they are getting promoting the same garbage companies that try to advertise on every YouTube channel.

On the other hand, as long as they are basically re-using old ad reads, it's an easy marker to skip that bit and get back to the show, on platforms that allow that

edit: if they were new ad reads, I would listen to them. damnit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah when it comes to the ads themselves, not to re-litigate that :can:, these four are really funny together and I don't care if they yuk it up about some high end socks I'm not gonna buy as long as they did do their research like they said they would, which now it seems they do I hope. They've just got a chance there for new improv is all, even though I know the company has demands when it comes to that stuff.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I don't mind the ads (they are easy enough to skip) but the ones where they actually watch the episode are pretty bad. There's too much silence while they watch, and since I'm not watching the video version but rather listening in my car, I tend to skip those ones.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They could also just not do ads in the first place because they're all multimillionaires already but whatever, they're easy enough to skip. Podcast is definitely better than it was when they got the bespoke studio.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i hope they start hocking blue chew

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do think the ideal format of the podcast is 'Okay guys today we've covering Charlies Gets America Over Everyone's Asses' *10 minutes later* 'I could absolutely survive being chloroformed long enough to fight off my attacker'

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don't mind the ads (they are easy enough to skip) but the ones where they actually watch the episode are pretty bad. There's too much silence while they watch, and since I'm not watching the video version but rather listening in my car, I tend to skip those ones.

Well if it makes you feel any better. At best all they show in the video version is a still image of the episode. Pretty sure, even thought hey are the creators, they don't actually have the rights to air clips from their show on YouTube :lol:. Also why the audio is usually bad for the clips...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
because youtube is bastard app

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
That part drives me crazy. Them watching the show but unable to show us the same clip? I mean, come on.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Idiots! Savages!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's stuck in this halfway gray area where it's almost a rifftrax/commentary, but also it isn't. So you can't watch along with them, you still have to watch the episode ahead of time, and then sit through them watching several minutes of it while trying to remember what happened based on the audio they play. They either need to fully commit to a commentary track, or just watch the ep ahead of time and then talk about aspects of it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It's stuck in this halfway gray area where it's almost a rifftrax/commentary, but also it isn't. So you can't watch along with them, you still have to watch the episode ahead of time, and then sit through them watching several minutes of it while trying to remember what happened based on the audio they play. They either need to fully commit to a commentary track, or just watch the ep ahead of time and then talk about aspects of it.

imo the secret is to have watched every episode 40 times so that they're all burned into your memory, and you don't have to watch the episode at all to know exactly what they're laughing at off-camera

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I don’t think there’s any problem with them watching 10 second clips and commentating after. I also don’t think its unusual in anyway. And I don’t think that absolutely necessitates that they do a full episode commentary.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I don’t think there’s any problem with them watching 10 second clips and commentating after. I also don’t think its unusual in anyway. And I don’t think that absolutely necessitates that they do a full episode commentary.

That's not what they are doing though. They are watching the entire episode, and then Megan cuts out parts where they say something interesting.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Initially I thought them livewatching the episode was a great idea because it would help keep them talking about the actual show for at least that 22 minutes and would help everyone there remember things instead of coming in with loose notes on their phone or whatever. But then they hosed it up by having the show audio be so low and bad I couldn't even understand it, so now half of that episode is just a garbled mess with the gang Chuckling Reasonably in the background and I still have to wait for them to pause and actually discuss things to get anything out of it :negative:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Yeah when it comes to the ads themselves, not to re-litigate that :can:, these four are really funny together and I don't care if they yuk it up about some high end socks I'm not gonna buy as long as they did do their research like they said they would, which now it seems they do I hope. They've just got a chance there for new improv is all, even though I know the company has demands when it comes to that stuff.

Agreed. Don't think I've skipped past an ad in this particular podcast. The better podcasters can do these spots and keep them interesting enough that they don't even feel like an advertisement. Back in the day when 'Hollywood Handbook' had an ads-free version for 'Stitcher Premium' subscribers, people would seek out the ads version to hear the ad-scenes they'd do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just hope they do enough ads that Megan can afford her rent :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CPColin posted:

I just hope they do enough ads that Megan can afford her rent :(

She actually lives AT the studio-slash-echoing-warehouse and so your meundies adspace listening actually is dual purpose, it pays for her house AND their recording space!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The system works! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

No Dignity posted:

I do think the ideal format of the podcast is 'Okay guys today we've covering Charlies Gets America Over Everyone's Asses' *10 minutes later* 'I could absolutely survive being chloroformed long enough to fight off my attacker'

If the derails weren’t so funny I would definitely have checked out of the pod a long time ago, but every bit has been consistently funny (except the obnoxious Spielberg one, cut that cut that cut that).

If they actually talk about the tv episode that week it’s basically just a bonus.