Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

No. SPs reaction to PC culture is to strip any of the humor out of the show in order to be PC while passive aggressively blaming PC babies. Sunny just lampoons the whole thing by turning it on its side without being disrespectful. Christians and women are the majority in Phillie and so on.

I'll be honest I'm a bit disappointed that Dee and Mac's response was to get all bummed and give up rather than try to out "I'm in this minority too" them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Old South Park was amazing but the show hasn't been funny in like a decade. Meanwhile, Always Sunny still has episodes that knock it out of the park.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
South Park is probably the least consistent show of all time, because I really didn’t like too much of last season but thought the first two episodes of this one were top shelf.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
South Park has always, always been very hit or miss, except maybe like seasons 5-8 where they were at the top of their game. There have been some really good episodes in the last few years still.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But is there a single episode in the top 50? That would be roughly 20% of the episodes they have made. There have been 23 episodes in the past 2+ seasons and I would argue that none are in the top 50. I'm pretty sure off the to of my head I could name 50 that are better without much difficulty. Maybe even 100.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like Sunny's jokes and politics because from DeVito down they're all extremely passionate progressive people that use horrible characters and offensive comedy to generally make a good point, while south park does the same to "mock both sides" while saying nothing of value other than some gross radical-centrist libertarian garbage.

Like sunny and southpark might both do an episode where people throw around the term "tranny" but sunny does it in a way that ultimately is mocking the poo poo out of mac's pathetic toxic-masculine transphobia and closeted sexuality while the "tranny" comes out of the situation better off and empowered to go on to have a great life without awful people like the gang in her life. There's no "mocking both sides", the episode is 100% on the side that mac and people who throw around terms like "tranny" are pathetic trash idiots. Meanwhile southpark will throw around that word just for laughs, sure mocking transphobes a bit but also mocking those gross weird he-she's cause no one's off limits dude!

Shocking offensive humour in the service of mocking terrible people with terrible opinions can be very good, shocking offensive humour just for the sake of it because "no one's off limits" is lazy libertarian bullshit.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Super Deuce posted:

Haha they got mad at how stupid we are, isn’t that hilarious!

Some people are able to laugh at themselves. Weird I know.

Super Deuce posted:

Yea, South Park is impressive, not good. They make the show fast or whatever. It has never once been funny.

Oh now I get it, you're just trying way too hard.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
South Park is bad, I prefer to look at my Ben Garrison editorial cartoons for two seconds, over twenty minutes

edit: I think a big part of the appeal of South Park is that it's a space in today's climate where you can still call your friends fags like you did on the playground in 1999

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People bandy about the BOTH SIDES argument about South Park but they basically never make fun of progressive values, they just make fun of progressive attitudes.

They make fun of republicans for being racist, conservative greedy assholes, they make fun of liberals who huff their own farts, but as a diehard fan I’m really hard pressed to find a good example of them painting progressive liberal values as wrong instead of directly attacking the lovely hypocritical attitudes of leftists who virtue signal, like the Smoking episode or the Prius episode.

Basically anyone who spouts the “South Park is centrist bullshit” idea is outing themselves as someone who either doesn’t watch it or has terrible comprehension skills, but in either case is talking out their rear end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goon dementia, it's always a terrible thing to see

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

ChesterJT posted:

Some people are able to laugh at themselves. Weird I know.

Oh now I get it, you're just trying way too hard.

How is saying South Park sucks trying? It’s dumb voices and edgy teenage jokes.

It has never been good. The only “good” thing of the show is how quickly they make episodes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Not sure if this counts as “mocking liberal values” or whatever but comparing climate change to a fantastical man/bear/pig hybrid and making GBS threads all over one of the few public figures at that time trying to warn people about it and making him look loving crazy was legit detrimental to at least a few people I know accepting the science.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You're not wrong but those people are dumb as hell and wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Yeah the climate poo poo is real bad. And if you keep your ears open you can still hear transphobes referencing Randy becoming a dolphin.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

can we stop talking about the extremely bad show South Park in the good IaS thread

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

Yeah the climate poo poo is real bad. And if you keep your ears open you can still hear transphobes referencing Randy becoming a dolphin.
And homophobes saying south park made saying human being okay.

These two jagoffs do so much harm to the marginalized by giving bigots both comfort and weapons, and whenever anybody says anything about it they get the ol' "you just can't take a joke."

Great. Fine. Well done. I'll be endlessly comforted by my sense of humor as some emboldened piece of poo poo shouts human being at me and I fear for my life. It's all in good fun.

Meanwhile people keep talking about how offensive Always Sunny is, and I've never really had a problem with anything they've done say use the word "tranny" unrebuked for a while there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

And homophobes saying south park made saying human being okay.

These two jagoffs do so much harm to the marginalized by giving bigots both comfort and weapons, and whenever anybody says anything about it they get the ol' "you just can't take a joke."

Great. Fine. Well done. I'll be endlessly comforted by my sense of humor as some emboldened piece of poo poo shouts human being at me and I fear for my life. It's all in good fun.

Meanwhile people keep talking about how offensive Always Sunny is, and I've never really had a problem with anything they've done say use the word "tranny" unrebuked for a while there.

There's the entire episode about how Frank called Mac a human being and it was a hate crime, but in the end it gave him the opportunity he needed to come out of the closet.

Also, to reiterate, anyone who feels safe calling you a slur because they saw it on South Park would almost certainly be that lovely of a person without the cartoon.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Bust Rodd posted:

There's the entire episode about how Frank called Mac a human being and it was a hate crime, but in the end it gave him the opportunity he needed to come out of the closet.

Also, to reiterate, anyone who feels safe calling you a slur because they saw it on South Park would almost certainly be that lovely of a person without the cartoon.

The argument that the show shouldn't be criticized because homophobic viewers would be homophobic anyway is so ridiculous you should honestly feel bad putting it out there.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

How is saying South Park sucks trying? It’s dumb voices and edgy teenage jokes.

See you should love it because what you're saying is textbook dumb edgy teenager.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

People bandy about the BOTH SIDES argument about South Park but they basically never make fun of progressive values, they just make fun of progressive attitudes.

They make fun of republicans for being racist, conservative greedy assholes, they make fun of liberals who huff their own farts, but as a diehard fan I’m really hard pressed to find a good example of them painting progressive liberal values as wrong instead of directly attacking the lovely hypocritical attitudes of leftists who virtue signal, like the Smoking episode or the Prius episode.

Basically anyone who spouts the “South Park is centrist bullshit” idea is outing themselves as someone who either doesn’t watch it or has terrible comprehension skills, but in either case is talking out their rear end.

the problem is that it frequently equivocates those things, leading to one of two messages:

1) "progressives being annoying is exactly as bad as regressives destroying human civilization"

or

2) "regressives destroying human civilization isn't actually that bad, because see, the other side huffs its own farts"

like, that's the central problem with SP's politics. Trey and Matt are typically on the correct page with regards to how bad right-wing poo poo is, but they always falter because they see the left being annoying as exactly as bad.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/BSwtIMS.gifv

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nobody here is trying to solve anything.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Both shows equally made fun of PC culture which is ok by me

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the problem is that it frequently equivocates those things, leading to one of two messages:

1) "progressives being annoying is exactly as bad as regressives destroying human civilization"

or

2) "regressives destroying human civilization isn't actually that bad, because see, the other side huffs its own farts"

like, that's the central problem with SP's politics. Trey and Matt are typically on the correct page with regards to how bad right-wing poo poo is, but they always falter because they see the left being annoying as exactly as bad.

Good lord have you ever had a second of introspection in your life?

Doltos posted:

Both shows equally made fun of PC culture which is ok by me

Amen

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 15, 2018

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you like pina colada

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Mac's hawaiian shirt with the sleeves cut off was epic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
South Park had a good trans bathroom episode four years ago. I liked both :shrug:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/IFUx4UU.gifv

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love how he always uses cars to help kick rear end or get his kicked

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cancelling The Mick was a loving robbery

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is The Mick still up on Hulu or did the episodes cycle off it?

Rip

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I thought that fight scene with the kids was familiar

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It wasn't much of a fight but it reminded me of this scene in Silicon Valley:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Violence against children is not funny.

Except sometimes it's really funny.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

Violence against children is not funny.

Except sometimes it's really funny.

IMO that's why it's funny. In real life it's a terrible thing to even suggest. But in a TV show, for that very reason, it's one of the last things you'd expect to happen, and comedy is all about the unexpected. It's also funnier when the kid(s) in questions are little shits.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

South Park is probably the least consistent show of all time, because I really didn’t like too much of last season but thought the first two episodes of this one were top shelf.

That episode about the priests was one of the worst episodes in the shows run. There weren't even jokes. It was like staring at a bad political cartoon in the paper for 30minutes, which honestly describes 75% of the bad South Park episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RIP The Mick (and Fat Mac), both too beautiful for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really hope the rest of the cast ends up doing well. I still can't believe it's gone.