Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Apparently even with the new channel, Always Sunny is doing good.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/05/outstanding-fxx-debuts-for-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-the-league/201208/

Glad to see the sudden channel change didn't gently caress things up for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Electromax posted:

I consider Sunny to be very similar to Seinfeld in many ways, a spiritual successor of sorts, and I guess it's no surprise that Seinfeld is my favorite show and Sunny is close behind.

But yeah, in terms of pure 20-minute episodes, Seinfeld had 180 and Sunny will hit 100 midway through this season. Seinfeld hit that milestone midway through Season 6, before Larry David even left and it was still dishing out some of the best episodes like The Race.

Sunny has a comparatively smaller but just as memorable set of regulars that make up fictional Philly, but their devotion to the lore of their own show is right up there with Seinfeld.

Sunny has been a great successor to Seinfeld. I remember in that era so many shows were trying to make Friends/Seinfeld clones. The show that closest managed a Friends clone was How I Met Your Mother.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Apparently even with the new channel, Always Sunny is doing good.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/05/outstanding-fxx-debuts-for-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-the-league/201208/

Glad to see the sudden channel change didn't gently caress things up for them.

That is really good news. Surprised to see The League actually had more viewers. I did like the premiere of The League a little more, apropos of nothing.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Exploder posted:

Most comedies start drastically dropping in quality after 6 or 7 seasons, but not Sunny. I think last season might have been the best so far.

Most comedies produce twice as many episodes in a year.

Really there's no established precedent for short seasons shows in their 9th or later seasons, Sunny is one of the oldest. Curb your Enthusiasm is the only one I can think of that is older and it was still excellent it's last season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bobfromsales posted:

Really there's no established precedent for short seasons shows in their 9th or later seasons, Sunny is one of the oldest. Curb your Enthusiasm is the only one I can think of that is older and it was still excellent it's last season.

Do we even know for sure that Curb is finished? I seem to remember hearing that Larry David just kind of gets the urge to pick it up back up sporadically, leaving 2-3 year gaps between seasons.

Fake edit: Wikipedia confirms,

Wikipedia posted:

On an episode of Jeff Garlin's podcast, "By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin," while talking with filmmaker and political activist Michael Moore, Garlin expressed doubt about a ninth season, saying he was optimistic that it would happen but had softened his expectations after not having heard anything about it for some time. Garlin added that if a ninth season happened it wouldn't be "anytime soon" and "not in the next year."[13] On July 17, 2013, Garlin, in regards to a ninth season, said, "I hope so. It looks good. But I won't even say very good, just good, but I hope so... I'm hoping sometime in 2014."[14] On July 25, 2013, at the Television Critics Association press tour, David said in regards to a ninth season, replied "I have not [decided]. I don't know. I really don't know. I couldn't say. Ask me in six months."[15]

I miss that show.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Kinda cool that he can just pick it up whenever he wants, though. Would be sweet if more people could do that.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Kinda cool that he can just pick it up whenever he wants, though. Would be sweet if more people could do that.

From an artistic viewpoint it probably allows him to really get good ideas for episodes going, which improves quality.

It is unfortunate for all the people a season of the show employs and then "poof, paycheck gone" when he wants to take a break.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

From an artistic viewpoint it probably allows him to really get good ideas for episodes going, which improves quality.

It is unfortunate for all the people a season of the show employs and then "poof, paycheck gone" when he wants to take a break.

i mean working in his wife-troubles via his onscreen wife was a pretty good example of how Larry's life can positively affect the show. Mostly I might just love the Blacks.

I never really thought about the other people thought :-/ Hopefully the fact that it's hand camera means there's not too much in the way of crew to employ, and I'd imagine most of the actors understand how Larry's working. Comedians in Cars reminds me a lot of Curb in that Seinfeld almost certainly doesn't need to do that program, or anything but play softball with his kids in the Hamptons, but he still produces quality content out of his need to work.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Bobfromsales posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm is the best comparison I can think of. Larry David can never not be funny. The only other comedies other than Curb and Seinfeld I can think of that stayed consistently funny for almost a decade were King of the Hill and the Simpsons, which is especially impressive considering most of their seasons were twice as long as an average Sunny season. Unfortunately, as we all know, KotH and the Simpsons eventually jumped the proverbial shark (KotH not as badly). I just don't see that happening with Sunny anytime soon. Sure, they have recycled a couple plots (The Gang Recycles Their Trash comes to mind), but when they do it, they are conscious of it and it's still great.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

keroppl posted:

I loved his little "and then I will be back in control, as I have always been" line. Or whatever it was.

Yeah, I think it was last season when they went to therapy Dennis mentions he thinks he's the gang's puppet master. Great callback, crazy Dennis is the best. Then Charlie questions him and he dismisses it like no one realized he's bonkers.

It's funny, on the first viewing Dee's routine made me laugh knowing how much it bothered Dennis she was doing well with such crap material. Next viewing I can watch knowing she's being conned. There's so many reasons her stand-up is hilarious and none of them is that the routine is funny. Howerton, Olson, and the writing were top notch this episode.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I had a feeling something weird was going on when she started making sound effects and still got huge laughs. Dee, your sound effects are terrible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The crabs have machine guns. That makes sense.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I assumed Dee's awful stand-up act was meant as a parody of Dane Cook -- give the audience one mildly amusing one-liner then follow it up with stupid sound effects, facial expressions and dumb gestures for 30 seconds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Justin Godscock posted:

Hell, Seinfeld started to show signs of fatigue by Season 8. Always Sunny has arguably had it's two best seasons with 7 and 8 and there doesn't seem to be any indication of a slowdown in quality though I kinda hope they do wrap it up with Season 10 because nothing lasts forever.

Larry David left Seinfeld after season 7.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Seinfeld's last two seasons are absolutely fantastic, and featured one of the all-time great TV episodes: The Merv Griffin Show.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Criminal Minded posted:

Seinfeld's last two seasons are absolutely fantastic, and featured one of the all-time great TV episodes: The Merv Griffin Show.

I agree. But they are different than the previous seasons. They are much more goofy and "out there."

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The Gang's facial expressions when Dee throws them all the under the bus for Conan are hysterical.

Hoffbonics
May 12, 2003

Always a gentleman
youtube.com/letsgotoclass
I checked and didn't see this posted yet, sorry if I somehow missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTSbm2mvFs

And of course there's this other sunny band promo for Portugal. The Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrXTnd46_8

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hoffbonics posted:

I checked and didn't see this posted yet, sorry if I somehow missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTSbm2mvFs

Glenn's script posted:

He walks in an takes in the room. We see his expression has changed from one of consternation to elation he has the answers now. Now we in the background the angels are falling all around him. No one but he can see this. It is his crowning moment. His token glory. An accumulation of everything he has worked so hard to achieve. He will find his way. We see it. He sees it. Everyone knows.... This is it.

This time he will come. And everyone will know. We know. He knows. We will see his come. It will come all over.

EXT. FRESHLY MOWED LAWN - DAY

God's voice BOOMS from the clouds above.

GOD (O.S.)
LISTEN TO THE KINGS OF LEON.

And then the entire world exploded. And thus began Hoagie Time once again.

THE END

Glenn is a fantastic fake conductor...makes me wonder if he's had any experience in an orchestra or chorus.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I really enjoyed the episode and all of the Breaking Bad references. I remember how last year "The Gang Recycles Their Trash" became the theme of the season with lots of callbacks and jokes from previous seasons, well I wouldn't be surprised if "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award" became the theme of this season, using lots of references to critically acclaimed shows or even mocking the idea of Oscar bait in several episodes.

Some of the callbacks

This guy reminded me a lot of Walter White when he was a total pushover early in Breaking Bad. Also, his name is Walt, a fact that I forgot.

Also, I realize that the Helium club is in Philadelphia, but I just found it to be too appropriate a detail to just slip in considering all the other BB references and the importance of the periodic table in the BB credits.

Here's another BB nod, not only to Albuquerque, the setting of Breaking Bad, but to an important episode in season 2 titled "ABQ" The flight number is also worth noting.

Of course we all know everyone's favorite bodyguard garbageman.

I also got some serious callback vibes from this scene with the "Jokes on Dee" party.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 11, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

This guy reminded me a lot of Walter White when he was a total pushover early in Breaking Bad.

Haha, the entire time he was on screen I kept thinking that he looked like a really sad Vince Gilligan who let himself go.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think you're reaching pretty far here to make a connection, outside of the fact that the guy who plays Huell was in the episode.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

nasboat posted:

I think you're reaching pretty far here to make a connection, outside of the fact that the guy who plays Huell was in the episode.

I'm definitely reaching, but I thought it was a nice touch to include Albuquerque in the flight path shot. Still, when you see a Homeland homage in episode 7 you will know where you heard it first :colbert:

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

nasboat posted:

Other than Huell/Landslide, I can definitely see Walt being an homage to Walter White. The mustache makes it. I didn't even think of that while I was watching the episode. The other stuff is a stretch for sure, but it could be an homage for all we know. I really like the idea of the seasons now having arching themes. We had Fat Mac in season 7, the gang recycling their jokes in season 8, and now possibly paying homage/thumbing their nose at critically acclaimed TV shows in season 9.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I'm definitely reaching, but I thought it was a nice touch to include Albuquerque in the flight path shot. Still, when you see a Homeland homage in episode 7 you will know where you heard it first :colbert:

It's reaching, but it's fun to analyze.

Oh God...

That window is blue. The word "sky" is written.

Blue Sky.

:psyboom:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just watched the episode where the gang played flipadelphia and dennis was getting dissed by the frat boys.
And I can't help but make a connection between Voldemort from Harry Potter and Dennis Reynolds,
when he makes his fire masterpiece, `I am Legend`
It was of course hilarious.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Hey guys

Hey guys

Always Sunny is on tonight

It's gonna rule

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

12 more minutes. The trailers for tonight look amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I forgot that this and The League moved to Wednesdays.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

FXX is bizarre.
Do they expect a huge overlap between Sunny viewers and people who watch romantic comedies that end with Grand Central Station flash mobs?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Friends With Benefits looks like a dog poo poo movie.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Friends With Benefits looks like a dog poo poo movie.

I watched the last 15 mins killing time before Sunny. Wow it was absolute poo poo the most cliche romantic comedy you can think of.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hahahaha loving Frank.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This episode owns already.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Hahaha, this is already amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess Dee's hair is just going to be like that this season. She's got a real 70s vibe.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Dave Foley!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Charlie bringing out the old AMERICA OVER EVERYONE'S rear end outfit.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

21 foot rule :allears: