Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Nate RFB posted:

So I dug a little deeper and I guess 20th Century Fox is apparently just not doing Blu-ray releases anymore for TV shows? What the gently caress?

Goddamnit Fox!

I guess I can understand, but this is still a kick in the dick. Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Missionary Positron posted:

True sunnyheads know that the show peaked with the first episode of the first season, and it's been nothing but downhill ever since

Also, The Mick rules.

+1 for The Mick being awesome. My roommate and I started watching after the Sunny rerun and we're both in love with the show now. Mick is a lot like Dee in many ways but you get the idea that somewhere deep inside she does care, even if it's just a little bit.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

What we really need is a checkbox poll with everybody voting for all the eps they like, then just tally up which ones get the most votes. That's a pretty decent top 10 list regardless, but the absence of "Frank gets an Intervention" is glaring.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

I also wish that I never had to have the mental image of him jackin' it in front of a coworker. A pity since his show did have it's great moments between groan-worthy awkwardness comedy.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

I was lukewarm on the episode myself but I think it'll hold up a lot better on a re-watch when I don't have crazy-high expectations for it. I loved all the stuff about the doll and Mac pumping loads into it and Cindy calling them out for running a train on Doll-Dennis, though! :allears:

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 2, 2018

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

If you've got the FX Now+ thing the new episode is available on it! It's a great episode.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

I love "Who Pooped the Bed" and "Frank's Brother" (Frank doing QC on the coke and then finding out at the end that everyone is a lot fatter than expected are the highlights for me). The only episode that I don't like is "Frank Falls Out The Window," the plot with Dee and Dennis pretending to have invented cell phones gets really old, really quick.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

ONION!!!

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

the big punchline to episode 1 got me

It makes repeat viewings that little bit even better.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

The slow-mo at the end with the soft singing about a woman's work and then it pans over to Cricket smoking meth out of a foil pipe and I just start howling in laughter.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Yeah, we just didn't want to interrupt your morning routine.

Wolf Cola: A Public Relations Nightmare

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

WOLF HAIR IS INCONCLUSIVE!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Mister Speaker posted:

Brevity is not exactly my strong suit but bear with me because there's something I've been trying to put into words for a couple of days now regarding Sunny and edgy humour. Basically, I've been rewatching a lot of older episodes and finding it increasingly difficult to justify enjoying the jokes and storylines.

Maybe it's the evolution of the zeitgeist, or my own growth as a person (although I haven't exactly done much of that in the past year). But previously, I used to justify to others (and maybe also to myself) that The Gang largely 'gets a pass' for jokes based in reprehensible, regressive humour "because it's well-established from day one that they're all horrible, narcissistic people." And that's true, I mean you couldn't throw a Sunny plotline about homophobia into another sitcom mid-season and expect people not to protest it. And you kind of have to explain that to a first-time Sunny watcher, don't you?

But someone upthread pointed out to me that the idea that Charlie is 'the lovable harmless one' (the impetus for writing 'Charlie & Dee Find Love') is wrong from the get-go; the entire plot of the fourth episode of the entire series is him gaslighting his friends into thinking he has cancer so he can bang the Waitress (gently caress, half the episodes in season 1 are about Charlie being a sociopath). And I've been watching earlier seasons lately with that thought in mind. How did they get away with this stuff, was it because the show was so under-the-RADAR in the first little while that this understanding was firmed up without any calls from activists to cancel the show? Do you suppose this fed their egos as writers, leading us to such gems of dialog as "rape you until the room stinks" or "look out, human being"?

Even when the joke isn't on the characters being monstrous, there's some surprising stuff in the early seasons. In 'Mac & Dennis: Manhunters', when Charlie and Dee think they've been eating human, they wonder for a moment about where to go to get "weird meats." The camera cuts to a shot of Chinatown, at which presumably we're supposed to laugh.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here at all, I just find it very confusing. Maybe the most confusing recurring plot is that of Carmen, and Mac's relationship with her. Right off the bat, her presence is there as some sort of foil (is that the wrong word?) to Mac as a confused gay man. And her return in later episodes brings some genuinely thoughtful and surprisingly progressive commentary from the Gang. But they still throw around the word "tranny" like it's her name.

Again, I dunno. I'm not going to stop enjoying the show or anything crazy, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's just a thought.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

To be serious, this is a show about terrible characters doing terrible things. Their actions aren't being endorsed or promoted as a positive thing and their racism/misogyny almost always ends with them much the worse for the wear. And sure, plenty of jokes from the early seasons have aged poorly, but other great shows also have early seasons that are really rocky nowadays (like the Venture Bros), because what's OK to use as a joke has changed over the decades. They talk about this a lot in the podcast, including how they think they got by avoiding all the Christian outrage of the 00's just by being so unknown.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

New episode up! https://youtu.be/69cjUN4x3wA

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Good morning, thread! Time for fireplace chat!

https://youtu.be/VpvSiTKMTrE

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

The rest of y'all need to stop going to sleep so early!
New ep up!
https://youtu.be/rJd98ahZPmE

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

New episode of the podcast! I'm trying listening on something with some subwoofer and it sounds like there's a party going on next door, an audio engineer is gonna be nice.

https://youtu.be/HCIQ_zocZnU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

It's that new podcast time!

https://youtu.be/oDGtZtZsAdY

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

New episode of the podcast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ALxWntGw4

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

New podcast time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dO1yFFZu8w

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

I turned it off on the first part when Glenn was talking about the battery of tests he'd undergone that as a poor I've never had, I couldn't care less what rich people do on their rich people insurance.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

I tried it once and poked my eye out immediately, 0/10 would not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Honestly, the podcast is kinda killing my enthusiasm. Rob's desperation to be liked and Glenn's casual bougie attitude really put me off, Charlie is the only one who really comes across as agreeable.