Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bobfromsales posted:

Most comedies produce twice as many episodes in a year.

Really there's no established precedent for short seasons shows in their 9th or later seasons, Sunny is one of the oldest. Curb your Enthusiasm is the only one I can think of that is older and it was still excellent it's last season.

Do we even know for sure that Curb is finished? I seem to remember hearing that Larry David just kind of gets the urge to pick it up back up sporadically, leaving 2-3 year gaps between seasons.

Fake edit: Wikipedia confirms,

Wikipedia posted:

On an episode of Jeff Garlin's podcast, "By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin," while talking with filmmaker and political activist Michael Moore, Garlin expressed doubt about a ninth season, saying he was optimistic that it would happen but had softened his expectations after not having heard anything about it for some time. Garlin added that if a ninth season happened it wouldn't be "anytime soon" and "not in the next year."[13] On July 17, 2013, Garlin, in regards to a ninth season, said, "I hope so. It looks good. But I won't even say very good, just good, but I hope so... I'm hoping sometime in 2014."[14] On July 25, 2013, at the Television Critics Association press tour, David said in regards to a ninth season, replied "I have not [decided]. I don't know. I really don't know. I couldn't say. Ask me in six months."[15]

I miss that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hoffbonics posted:

I checked and didn't see this posted yet, sorry if I somehow missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTSbm2mvFs

Glenn's script posted:

He walks in an takes in the room. We see his expression has changed from one of consternation to elation he has the answers now. Now we in the background the angels are falling all around him. No one but he can see this. It is his crowning moment. His token glory. An accumulation of everything he has worked so hard to achieve. He will find his way. We see it. He sees it. Everyone knows.... This is it.

This time he will come. And everyone will know. We know. He knows. We will see his come. It will come all over.

EXT. FRESHLY MOWED LAWN - DAY

God's voice BOOMS from the clouds above.

GOD (O.S.)
LISTEN TO THE KINGS OF LEON.

And then the entire world exploded. And thus began Hoagie Time once again.

THE END

Glenn is a fantastic fake conductor...makes me wonder if he's had any experience in an orchestra or chorus.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm in the underwhelmed camp. I still love this show, and to expect every episode to be classic status would be unfair. Episodes I'm not crazy about just make the really good ones even better. I'm glad others liked it, though! :unsmith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I dunno...I guess it just felt...unbelievable? Like they were trying too hard or something. This show is not known for it's realism by any stretch of the imagination, but I just had a hard time buying any of it. Frank on not just one TV station, but multiple broadcast interviews? The principal from season 6 not instantly throwing Mac and Charlie out on sight? Dennis and Dee screaming about shooting innocent people in a gun shop and nobody bats an eye?

"Realistic" expectations like that are exactly what made the season opener so funny, because at first things seemed unbelievable, then they brought it back at the last minute in a final turn. Another episode that does this was the McPoyle Wedding episode from last season, where the McPoyles were being crazy, but then you find out it was because their milk-punch was spiked with bath salts.

I think Sunny's at its funniest when it's crushing the Gang with harsh realities. And like I said, it got laughs from me, but it's not one I'll watch over and over again like Mac's Big Break or Who Got Dee Pregnant.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

If they were trying to be realistic the gang would have been in jail or dead by season 2.

I get that...which is why I put realistic in quotation marks. It's not the exact term to describe what I'm talking about, but "crushed by harsh reality" is a little closer. Frank on TV was just too out there for me to accept, especially accompanied by not-so-closeted pedo Jack Kelly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ultramiraculous posted:

If I were to make noises and swerve wildly it would distract you! You couldn't keep up.

I wish I had a .gif of Charlie turning the gun from side to side and pulling the trigger to respond with.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I would like to formally request a gif of Dennis's facial expressions right before the title card, avatar sized please. tia

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do places like that exist? :psyduck:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This episode kind of reminded me of "The Gang Recycles Their Trash". It was funny in its own right, but made even funnier for long time fans of the show with a little bit of extra knowledge. I was dying when Mac was rehearsing lines with Dee and Dennis. "I came at you hard..." and then his whole cooldown after he flies off the handle.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I love it! Any chance it can be flipped so we can fully understand that he TOTALLY does not care about my posts at all?

Right now it looks like he TOTALLY does not care about Dexter at all. Me either, Dennis...me either.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Dennis using his pillow scream right after being forced to chant Mac's name. He's so self-centered he just can't take it. I kind of wish we could have seen a pillow scream from each member of the gang at some point, but I suppose that way it may have gotten old.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Mac and Dee's segments were the best. Everybody saw Mac disarming the robber and being a total badass, but going from that to fighting off ninjas Steven Seagal Style, along with the gravelly voice and "puns" was so over the top it was amazing. That close up half shrug when Dee gets shot is totally gif-worthy. I'm sure Rob McElhenney was excited about airing this episode right after Mac Day, in which he was constantly cuckolded in badassatry by Country Mac. In this episode he gets to be a badass...even if it was in the form of a dream sequence.

And basically every time Butler Dee opened her mouth was gold.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Conquistador posted:

Yeah I thought he was gonna bust out that revolver he seems to have at random times, and wasn't sure I really found that funny. Going the direction they did was loving genius.

The music + slow motion replays of bites did it for me. Then after 20-30 seconds of hot dog eating montage, he starts on hot dog number 2 and it starts all over again.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, thanks for ruining my immersion you JERK

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My friend exploded
My friend exploded
Daiyaiayaiyaiyaaaaa~~

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved this one. Dennis slayed me as usual, getting upset that the gang was interrupting his dramatic pauses and being super critical of their singing. Motownphilly tying the whole episode was a stroke of genius...and frankly they didn't sound half bad!

I have a theory. For those of you who didn't like this episode, did you like Gun Fever Too: Still Hot?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sartana posted:

Subjectivity is an issue with every show but It's Always Sunny seems like it has an especially broad scope of humor. It feels like everybody unanimously agrees that it's funny but has completely differing opinions about which episodes/seasons are the best and which are the weakest. I think people just find different elements of the show especially funny. You guys have both cited Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare as one of the weaker episodes but I've been watching it repeatedly and think it's one of my favorites of the entire show.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and well put. For instance, I generally notice myself laughing more at the calm moments, the delivery of a certain line, little glances between characters, etc, and I notice others laugh more at the physical comedy and over-the-top plot twists. There's a few things that most people seem to find funny universally, and a (small) few that nobody thinks is funny, and a whole lot of stuff in the middle that's hit or miss for different reasons with different people. I was thinking there were two types of Sunny fans, but that makes it seem divisive, and I don't think it's quite accurate..."broad" as you said puts it better.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Murguista posted:

Not too hard. Not too soft.

Great Frank and Dennis episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzkICG47LU&t=33s

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I liked this one. The Gang locking all of their unsuspecting acquaintances in a burning apartment felt...right, somehow. Especially when you start to hear them starting to panic on the other side of the door as "Happy Thanksgiving" writes itself across the screen in cursive.

Yesterday I had this song stuck in my head and starting singing it to myself...then I turn on the TV and it's playing during a Sunny promo on FXX!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ultramiraculous posted:

Cricket is gonna come back, now with severe burns across the side of his face, and missing the eye the McPoyles took.

"Man Cricket is looking rough this season"

He'll also have a massive axe scar on his arm, don't forget.

PittTheElder posted:

Don't they use bit of that in most, if not all of the Sunny promos? For a song I've never heard before it's extremely familiar.

Not sure...I can't even tell if I first heard the song during the promo or somewhere else. Although honestly I feel like I recognize that song from the 80's, so it may be that it just has that quality of familiarity to it. Good song either way!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Murguista posted:

It's just you, and us, and a couple of sour, sweaty balls.

It'd be a nice touch if next season Cricket is using rudimentary English as his descent into a feral dog man continues.

Nah...I love how street savvy Cricket has become. He's always wheeling and dealing with the gang for sad poo poo like a bag of lemons or scraps from the floor. He even considered giving Mac and Dennis one of his eyes.

Ghostpilot posted:

Hey, I offered requests! :colbert: The latter gifs are a little large (7-8 megs). If there's a problem I'll change them to links.

I'm doing a rewatch now, sooo many funny little things I missed on Wednesday:

- Frank simultaneously filling his glass with vodka and spiking the punch, right after the opening credits.

- ".............let me think about it", as Cricket narrows his eyes and scratches his beard. Holy poo poo that was funny.

- We have a gif of the McPoyles and the landlord dancing, but I'd love a gif of the gang dancing right before that...maybe one that goes back and forth between the two shots, even.

- Dennis's speech "It wasn't about apologizing to each other, uuuu..."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

I'm new to the series, but I thought the Night man song was better.

Counterpoint:

Just to be clear
I did not write that song and have never had sex
with a child, just to be clear
Just to be clear
Most men find me to be an 8 or 9 out of 10, and
I am available to any interested men
Who'd like to get my number after the show

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sartana posted:

Subjectivity is an issue with every show but It's Always Sunny seems like it has an especially broad scope of humor. It feels like everybody unanimously agrees that it's funny but has completely differing opinions about which episodes/seasons are the best and which are the weakest. I think people just find different elements of the show especially funny. You guys have both cited Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare as one of the weaker episodes but I've been watching it repeatedly and think it's one of my favorites of the entire show.

timp posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking, and well put. For instance, I generally notice myself laughing more at the calm moments, the delivery of a certain line, little glances between characters, etc, and I notice others laugh more at the physical comedy and over-the-top plot twists. There's a few things that most people seem to find funny universally, and a (small) few that nobody thinks is funny, and a whole lot of stuff in the middle that's hit or miss for different reasons with different people. I was thinking there were two types of Sunny fans, but that makes it seem divisive, and I don't think it's quite accurate..."broad" as you said puts it better.

Sartana had a great point earlier in the thread that I elaborated on a bit. This theory is more about why some people love one episode that others hate and vice versa, but it also supports a theory that this show uses a lot of different types of humor, hence a wide and varied fan base. In my opinion, people who don't like Sunny either haven't seen the right episode for them yet, or they find it offensive.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

Found this chart of how many times people got paired up.

Not surprising to see the Reynolds siblings at the top of the list, though I would have guessed that the Gruesome Twosome would have the highest number of pairings.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate posted:

In season 9 the episode where Frank gets stuck in the coil (Mac and Dennis buy a timeshare?) the whole thing was absolute gold. When they are talking about why Frank got caught in the coil in the first place and they come to the conclusion that he was going down their to "pound off" I died. That was one of the funniest moments I've ever seen on television. It just culminates the whole Frank experience so perfectly for me. Season 9 was very funny but the whole pace too it just made me sad. They are just trying to tie up loose ends because the series is ending soon. (Signed through 10 with FXX or whatever the gently caress it is)

Not just pound off...but "Pound off in the night"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

Seinfeld or Friends or Frasier?

TUS posted:

Married with Children if it's not Seinfeld.

Those were on Broadcast TV Networks, this is Cable.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/faqs/faqs-tv/retransmis/whats-the-difference-between-a.html

Edit: beaten

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Clickbait-style site, but still amusing: A Timeline of Charlie's Illiteracy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Fresh Prince posted:

Here's my question about the Mac Day episode. Did Country Mac copy City Mac, or did City Mac copy Country Mac? By copy I mean the style and liking karate and being badass. I doubt either one copied each other being gay.

Which way are you leaning?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I agree that Glenn is the best actor of the group, and I totally disagree that Kaitlin's the worst; I think she's fantastic. I actually think Danny DeVito does the worst acting in this show (Let me finish!) There are a few scenes even as early as season 5 where you can tell he doesn't quite know his lines or the context of the scene. He's getting pretty old and from what I've heard DeVito is becoming more and more like Frank Reynolds as the show continues. This is not meant to say that I don't enjoy Frank, or even DeVito's portrayal of him...that kind of acting style and delivery is part of what makes Frank so great.

Rob is probably the weakest actor, but still insanely funny in the role. Plus he's one of the best at reacting to other's lines, which is one of my favorite parts of watching Sunny, especially on a rewatch. Seriously, go back and watch the scene in Who Pooped the Bed where they go to the college to get the turd examined. Pick a different character to focus on each time you watch it and just watch them react to one another's lines, or focus on that character's lines when the whole group talks. They all do a fantastic job of staying true to their own character while also not distracting from the story.

drat, January 14th can't get here soon enough.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

At the risk of over analyzing the show, I had a question after a recent viewing of "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth": Charlie has taken a job as a janitor at the school, and is very proud that the kids are calling him "The Professor". My reaction is that it's a sarcastic jibe at him, since he's a janitor who eats oranges out of the trash, but the kids seem sincere about it when they're greeting him. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think it's sincere. Just try to imagine having Charlie Kelly as your high school janitor, I think you'd probably enjoy seeing having him around for the entertainment factor.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The extended break was kind of a good thing, I think. I'm really missing Sunny now, only a few more days!

I've been conducting a thorough rewatch of any and all episodes I haven't seen recently and yeah, I'm super ready for the new season now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

I wonder what the next step in his sociopathy even is. last season he confessed a legitimate romantic love for his sister, probably because she is his twin and he is desperately in love with himself, and I don't really know how they go up from there

Uh, no, he doesn't love Dee. He loves manipulating people and he thought professing his love to her would get her to include him in her trip. Also, what about it was romantic?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

goldblums eyes posted:

It just depends on your tolerance. In my darkest times I drank a fifth of 80% vodka and 8 budweisers over 12 hours without blacking out. I'm 180lb and was drinking a lot every day.

E: obviously not to brag, because when you're at that point it's pretty uncool, but that amount of alcohol is definitely possible to consume in 10 hours. What I don't understand is how you wouldn't get full to the point of bursting though.

Yeah, I'm less impressed by being able to consume that much alcohol and more impressed by being able to consume that much liquid.

Maybe impressed isn't the right word...

e: by the way, I'm assuming that was the real Wade Boggs and the real Boss Hogg, c/d? ee: imdb confirms, the real Wade Boggs, not the real Boss Hogg. I mean I knew it wasn't obviously the same one from the original Dukes of Hazzard but I thought maybe he was the guy who played him in the movie version that came out in the 00's.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 16, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I also legitimately liked when Wade Boggs showed up and taught Charlie that hanging out and having a good time is not everything; it feels good to win. It's nice to see Charlie, or any member of the gang really, try at something and succeed, even if the challenge itself is a bit dubious.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CobiWann posted:

What smash cut to the title card do you guys think is the best?

Dennis and Dee go on Welfare is good too. Seems like Season 2 took advantage of the title card gag more than any other

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

after hearing about what artemis can do with a hamburger bun, i'd love to see her bang honestly. it'd be really interesting and innovative

Why does everyone think we want to hear about that?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Doghouse posted:

I just finished watching every episode. I barely watch tv but stumbled on this show somehow when I was bored one day and binge watched on netflix. I'm really depressed that I can't binge watch anymore.

Next what you do is go through and rewatch them, but focus on the characters who are not delivering lines for their facial expressions and reactions. That's the great part about Sunny; it was practically made to be rewatched.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

it really is perfect

Also funny that she was wearing black and, like, disgustingly skinny in this episode. Props to Kaitlin Olson for doing whatever she had to do to make it look like Dee had starved herself for a few days. Now that I think about it, she probably just did it by starving herself for a few days.

Though tbh I was disappointed we didn't get any gagging noises, and this coming from someone who usually doesn't like when they fall back too much on past gags. (pun intended)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Then find out one of their friends might be his kid, adopt the other, and discover his estranged kids real father is a kiddy diddler.

I think you may be confusing the show with real life a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brock Samson posted:

This feels like an older ep. Not in a bad way.

Totally thought this while watching. There was something about it that felt very season 6 which is one of my favorites. I think it was all the scheming and backstabbing.

Also, a weird thought I also had during the ep. Another reason I think it felt "classic" was because it seemed like each character had strong agency. Some episodes (some of the best, even) include the entire gang totally wrapped up in one idea, and the action all happens in a day or so. But in this episode, as well as most my favorites, you'll see one of the characters doing something normal in their own apartment just living their lives before another member of the gang busts in all hot. I think that feels more relatable to me. They don't exist just to do crazy poo poo 24/7, it just sort of happens to them as they live their lives. I don't know if that makes any sense.