Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

To be honest I don't think the last few seasons have lived up to the dizzying heights of seasons 2-7, it'd definitely be the right call to put the show to bed on S14 and leave on a relative high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That episode, if nothing else, is entirely carried by Dennis trying to play a Englishman fop

'Yes?'

'No ... yeeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIISSS'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

let's unconfirm that for ya

https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton/status/982988283616681985

maybe if the gang don't know whether Dennis is back or can't get their story on it straight, they should quit talking about it. this is the 3rd or 4th time we've had a confirmation -> NOPE since the last season ended. kinda silly

Torn between thinking this being kind of a nasty tweet even as a joke and 'you stop talking about the goddamn production you bitch'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I mean one of the first episodes was Charlie pretending to have cancer to get the waitress to date him, the second has him loudly yelling how he wished his love child had been aborted, another was the gang letting minors drink in their bar
They've always been irredeemable monsters

In the early seasons Denis had a functioning sense of ethics, Dee was the straight woman, Mac liked to sleep with women and Charlie wasn't functionally illiterate. For better and worse the cast's behavior has changed dramatically since the start of the show.

Personally I think seasons 3-7 were the show's finest, but it has held up remarkably well as it's gone on. It's Always Sunny at not quite its peak is still better than pretty much any other comedy on TV.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Charlie was writing incomprehensible scripts in season 2

Charlie was writing poorly constructed sentences in season 2, he didn't know what words were in Old Lady House

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

He didn't know why words were flying across the screen, he didn't realize they were credits because he didn't know what they said.

Nah he says letters, which Mac has to explain are 'names'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The second episode of the show has Dennis literally scaling a fence in full view of both sides of an abortion rally because he's trying to trick women on either side into sleeping with him.

And in one of the next he declines sleeping with an attractive highschooler not because he could get busted, but because it's wrong. He was never a paragon of virtue, but he wasn't THE GOLDEN GOD either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know what episode is the worst, probably one of the episodes from season 1.

Frank's Brother by a huge margin

Also, just rewatched The Gang Reignite the Rivalry and I maintain the setup and punchline for the poison beer is one of the best jokes in the series

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think welfare fraud is as bad as rape, personally

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dee did get pretty heavily retconned, even in S2 she's just a lovely exploitative person, by late It's Always Sunny she apparently get a girl on fire in college

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For me it was Charlie’s date in The Waitress is Getting Married.

This is close, but the right answer is the guys building Charlie's dating profile. That might actually be the best scene in the show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

YeeeEEEEEeeeeessssss

No, you really need to draw out the 'eaaas':

YeeeeEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAaaaaaaaassssSSSS

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am going to be the spoilsport and say I think the show will have jumped the shark if they ever unambiguously confirm Dennis is a serial killer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

This is the thread for the show about whores, doing crack, and... implications. The pearl clutching thread is that way.

You ... you know the cast didn't do those things in real life, right?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought that was a fantastic start to the season, one of the strongest (and darkest) meta-episodes they've done.

The gang's dynamic is completely broken without Dennis, without him crushing everyone's egos and ordering them around Mac is developing self-esteem and questioning why he's even with the gang, Charlie and The Waitress are a settled (if unhappy) couple, they've stopped calling Dee a bird and are working with someone who's coming up with actually clever schemes with goals which makes sense. Naturally, this horrifies them and once the Dennis doll turns up they start projecting all of his negging and their dysfunctional self-defeating impulses onto it to push themselves back into their old ruts rather develop and improve themselves as people. They're entirely codependent and terrified of any change to the point of taking orders from a sex doll to fill the Dennis-shaped hole in all this lives. Dennis naturally feels the same way, no longer having any minions to dominate, and returns to go back to how things used to be. Mindy (representing change and positive development) is cast out so they can do Chardee Macdennis 3

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Always sunny has always been super political and subversively progressive, it felt like they wanted to do something with fake news and how for-profit groups will milk partisan outrage to sell products or drive business, which I was sort of excited to see how they'd handle, but they didn't, they tossed that plot aside to focus on blowing into a sex doll's rear end.

That was the joke. They were handed a successful and topical scheme on a platter and they immediately left it by the wayside to start projecting all their neuroses onto a sex doll and get drunk at a strip club. if you've ever watched Venture Bros it's the same setup as Escape to the House of Mummies Part II

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The episode was written by Cricket, who's one of the most frequent episode writers after the gang themselves

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

timp posted:

You sure? Cricket’s actor’s name is David Hornsby; IMDB lists the writer of 13.1 as a Kristin Belka Maier.

Yeah I just checked the opening again and Hornsby has the sole writing credit, not sure what's going on with IMDB there

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Please only comment to say how much you enjoyed the episode. The IASiP thread is a negativity free zone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't have to be a negativity free zone. But every single season for the past several years, people have come into the thread to say how this is the season where they've finally lost it and it's not funny. Then the season ends and those same people now love the season and it's this new season that's actually bad now. The shtick is tired and played out.

Most people are saying it's not as good as it used to be, which as someone who only started with the show last year, I fully agree with. It's still a funny show but at this point the cast (Dennis especially) are playing very broad caricatures of themselves and the scripts just aren't as sublimely good as they were seasons 2 - 9.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You can probably find this exact same post in the past four or five threads.

Well yeah, 'the show peaked in season 9' makes just as much sense being said in the season 11 thread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I said the shtick is tired and played out. The show is clearly going in the direction of caricatures, and they don't show any signs of stopping.

Jesus dude no one is trolling you, if you don't agree with someone just ignore them or respond constructively. Posting about posting about It's Always Sunny is just sad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's funny after making just a few oblique references to Trump in S12 they've now decided the gang would absolutely be chuds who'd think he's a political genius

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dee is low-key implied to be nearly as bad as Dennis, but she's a woman so no one really cared (until now)

Also chiming in to say this episode was great, definitely the best of the season. Dennis's guide to not getting caught out was a fantastic scene in particular.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think Dennis is a rapist. He browses craigslist for women that are into weird poo poo and brings them back to his apartment. The escape room episode makes it clear that he wants their consent for whatever it is that he's doing. He knows that what he does is far from normal and that it if a woman were to claim he raped her, it would be very easy to use what he does to paint a picture that he does rape people.. He gets their consent but then also creepily texts from their phones to give the consent he already got to have a paper trail. Someone who just rapes people isn't going to become an expert on consent and sexual assault to ensure what he's doing technically isn't rape. It is all unethical and creepy as poo poo, but I get the feeling that he is ensuring that the women agree to what is happening.

:eyepop:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I know that, go re read my first post.

I went back and re-read and it's still an incredibly circuitous chain of reasoning to ignore the fact that the climax of the episode was Dennis giving a lecture on how not to get caught raping by falsifying written consent

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Hell ya I want to bang Frank so bad!

I just think Dennis looks weird, the hair is weird and his face looks like he is wearing too much makeup or something. Everyone else looks fine.

He's making it work

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I still dunno. Is there anything else in the episode that would confirm it? Mac says several times that he doesn't have sex with the doll.

I guess it's just something that's left ambiguous by the writers and you can interpret it either way. :shrug:

Yeah why would Mac lie about it? He was just bleaching clean the bespoke sex doll he comissioned as a precaution ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He definitely hosed the doll

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also they do have a point of view: they're Republicans. They even have a branch of conservative thought named after their show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goon dementia, it's always a terrible thing to see

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

can we stop talking about the extremely bad show South Park in the good IaS thread

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Will you shut the gently caress up about South Park already

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TTBF posted:

I really didn't dig the latest two episodes. The clip show was an actual clip show for too long, and then it segued into the Seinfeld bit which seems to be the thing people liked most about that episode. I don't watch Seinfeld though, so it fell completely flat. It's easily my least favorite episode of the show and I don't see myself ever going back to rewatch it.

The latest episode had a similar problem where I got tired of the Home Alone thing real quick. It was just Charlie doing things from a movie I've seen a billion times for half the episode. When I saw his blatantly obvious trap set-ups is when I began having hope, but the episode as a whole ended up not doing it for me.

Interesting to note note the only episode any of the gang are credited for writing this season is the finale. Most the episodes this season have been pretty good but alot of the guest writers have done there own things rather than use the classic IAS formula (the gang get a stupid idea, they split into groups with different spins on the premise and egg each other on into stupider and stupider contortions until everything explodes the end of the episode), which I think is why the last few seasons have been a little hit or miss. The only one this season that actually felt like a classic Day/Howerton/McElhenney piece was The Gang Get New Wheels, most of the others have been fine but none of them can really stand up to The Gang Solve The Gas Crisis or The Waitress Is Getting Married imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'm pretty sure IASIP wants you to think there was meaning behind the dance but in reality there was no meaning and it was just an absurd dance done in a philly prison by an insane guy which makes it so funny. Everyone in the prison was inspired except for his Dad, and Frank 'understanding' the dance was part of the joke.

Christ you really loving suck dude

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

Sorry for interpreting the dance as a straight forward joke?

It was the one earnest thing the show's ever done, taking it as a joke at Mac's expense is really kind of horrible

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'm sorry for watching a comedy show and interpreting an absurd dance done in an absurd environment as a joke.

Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of the episode myself, even if its heart was in the right place, but it was very clearly an earnest statement about Mac's homosexuality (and backed up by Rob Mcelhenney's real life comments on the episode).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

The dance was absolutely absurd. It had a shirtless ripped Mac doing it in front of a bunch of prisoners in order to make his criminal father accept that he was gay.

Also gently caress multijoe and gently caress people like him who are knee-jerk antagonistic. That does nothing to help represent the cause he's virtue signaling.

'virtue signalling'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol poo poo I just remembered Luther hosed a man in that episode too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My own personal bad take on the episode is I really don't see how they can continue the show from here.

It's such a fundamental break in characterisation and the spirit of the show I don't know how they can go back to the writing the gang as the absolute pieces of poo poo they are. They've humanised their monsters.