Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I was expecting that it was going to be Dennis pulling the strings at the end. But that was way better.

I think that's exactly what the show expected us to think. That and her gagging on Conan.

Barf Wight posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo Dennis actually trying to do the loving D.E.N.N.I.S system on his sister, more specifically that speech at the plane was very reminiscent of his Inspire Hope speech from when he was D.E.N.N.I.S-ing the pharmacist.

That was a great callback.

Criminal Minded posted:

That is the cruelest episode of television I have ever seen.

Which for this show is fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing alongside the Scott Tenorman episode of South Park.

That reveal made the whole episode worth it. I really wasn't 100% sold on Dee's rise to fame, and I think for a lot of us the ending was less, "Oh wow they got me" and more "Hhahaha I loving knew it!"

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
ah gently caress quote/edit

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Electromax posted:

I consider Sunny to be very similar to Seinfeld in many ways, a spiritual successor of sorts, and I guess it's no surprise that Seinfeld is my favorite show and Sunny is close behind.

But yeah, in terms of pure 20-minute episodes, Seinfeld had 180 and Sunny will hit 100 midway through this season. Seinfeld hit that milestone midway through Season 6, before Larry David even left and it was still dishing out some of the best episodes like The Race.

Sunny has a comparatively smaller but just as memorable set of regulars that make up fictional Philly, but their devotion to the lore of their own show is right up there with Seinfeld.

Sunny has been a great successor to Seinfeld. I remember in that era so many shows were trying to make Friends/Seinfeld clones. The show that closest managed a Friends clone was How I Met Your Mother.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I'm definitely reaching, but I thought it was a nice touch to include Albuquerque in the flight path shot. Still, when you see a Homeland homage in episode 7 you will know where you heard it first :colbert:

It's reaching, but it's fun to analyze.

Oh God...

That window is blue. The word "sky" is written.

Blue Sky.

:psyboom:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Fat Ogre posted:

If anything it felt like a South Park take on a contentious issue showing both extreme positions are pretty moronic.

Good comparison. I could see Cartman as Frank going on news shows etc. So far this season has been 2 for 2.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

I will never not love Frank's money-making schemes. Its such a great touch that he's this incredible businessman who gets richer every year despite living and acting like a hobo.

Except that's exactly what happens in real life. We only roll our eyes because people on tv aren't supposed to be as stupid as the people next door.

Exactly. It was similar to Paddy's Pub: Worst Bar in Philidelphia where it ends with the gang going to see the critic.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

I just don't understand why people sometimes prefer The League over Sunny, or even liking it at all.

Why are we supposed to hate Andre so much, with Dee she's still a horrible person, but Andre just...had bad taste in clothes and doesn't understand certain sexual innuendos? I'll admit I don't know a thing about football but most of the scenes regarding the fantasy football is just setups for bits when they have to do X to get player Y. Or when a famous footballer is on but then it's incredibly obvious because they can't act or be a comedian.

When they hate Dee she's still a horrible person and the gang is even worse themselves. But the League is generally just average joes with some quirks of either being 'dumb' or having a convenient germaphobia in that it only surfaces for episodes that have jokes on it or callbacks.

Rafi and Dirty Randy are awesome though, but criminally underused and just basically Jason cutting lose as himself, only even more hyper.

Yeah I'm not forced to watch it and of course this just my taste and opinion, but I just don't get how it gets so much traction on SA. It feels like something for a 2 and a half men/Big Bang Theory crowd.

They don't "hate" Andre. They rib and joke with him like friends albeit a bit further. Rafi is used perfectly, and anything more would be too much. It's a funny show :shobon:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Looks like the whole "noses up at the Emmys" season is holding true. (or just entirely coincidental). It really was a great episode of Sunny simply put.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Is anyone else with DirecTV having trouble getting FXX now? The first two weeks of Always Sunny/League recorded fine, but not last night's episodes. It's telling me I don't subscribe, which is weird since everything else is working.

I think it was posted earlier but the first few weeks was part of a "sneak peek" for FXX but I could be wrong.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Electromax posted:

Seinfeld only won Best Comedy once in its run, that made me swear off Emmys forever. Frasier is funny but no way is it 5-years-in-a-row above Seinfeld funny.

30 Rock won its first 3 seasons which I think are the best ones anyway (at least 1 and 2) after that it trails off. Never seen Modern Family.

Amazingly Arrested Development DID win an Emmy. But generally Glenn is right, it seems you have to be a part of the Hollywood/TV industry in the way that the gang isn't to win these awards. At least it wins all the Emmys in our hearts.

(Disclaimer: I've never watched the Emmys anyway)

Frasier is pretty good, and a real precursor to The Big Bang Theory. In that it's two main leads are incredibly smart, but when it comes to socialization/relationships they fail miserably.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It was kinda predictable but only because the same thing happened on King of the Hill. What was surprising was Maniac's return because he was one of the few guest stars to make a solo appearance. He plays unstable too good.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

"I have a bleached rear end in a top hat."

I always thought a great episode concept would be a one-off that focuses almost entirely on the side characters, with the Gang either off-screen or only seen briefly in cameo.

Working title: "Cricket's Revenge"

They did that in the League last week. The episode was VERY polarizing on this forum where people loved it or hated it. No in betweens.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Seann William Scott nailed it this episode (and was a total badass) and the only complaint I have is that we'll never see him again.

The whole thing reminded me of "The Gang Gets a New Member" except instead of the Charlie/Smitty rivalry it was Mac/Country Mac.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Carthag posted:

I like that guy, he's charming as hell for some stupid reason

It could be how he always has this permanent goofy grin. You can't help but feel charmed.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I completely overlooked the fact tonight is Sunny's 100th episode :toot:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/always-sunny-100-episodes/

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

:3:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Was Charlie's costume an homage to Trip to the Moon, or am I looking into it too much?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

TUS posted:

I think the part where Dennis gets upset that they're answering his questions is a callback to a previous episode this season where Dennis was doing that to someone. But I forget who... does anyone else remember this?

I'm not 100% and maybe it's because I just watched it, but it could be a call-back to when they bought a boat and stole his thunder while saying, "We'll take it."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Ok, I gotta admit. The episode "got" me. Although even rewatching the opening minutes I realize how "unfair" the episode is to the audience. While 95% of the episode can more or less be explained by Charlie being arrogant over being smart- it still doesn't explain how he knew what the placebo effect is or hwo he knew it's latin origins. The accent showed it's hand a bit too hand a bit too early I think.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

I thought the placebo thing did get explained, he was listening to an audiobook that mentioned it

Even still. The fact that Charlie "understood" and "considered" it just felt like an easy way to lie to the audience from there.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

ShadyNasty posted:

Preview of this week's episode:

(SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202315067066870

Oh. My. God.

I love weddings... THEY'RE ALWAYS SUCH A BLAAAAAAAAST!

Charlie's Wig :allears:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Just watched it. Not a single salting of the snail :colbert:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Agronox posted:

This was a fun episode. I enjoy pretty much every time the Gang puts on a party--with the Waitress's bachelorette party being my favorite.

What's this thread's thought on how the season went? I'd say it was altogether a little disappointing, and probably the most uneven season they've had. At least three clunkers and probably no episodes I'd consider classics (but I plan to watch again and hope I'm wrong; The Gang Breaks Dee has a fantastic reveal, for instance).

I think it didn't have so many "stand out" episodes (like Dines Out and Analyzed) from last season but on the whole there were more episodes that were simply good overall. Quality has been steady and that's ok by me. I've also liked this season of The League- so what the hell do I know?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You left out CharDee MacDennis: Game of Games.

That was two seasons ago.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I read an interview where the gang said they would rather have someone hate an episode than think it was "ok". Because if someone hates an episode they at least invoked an emotion.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You're in for a hell of a ride, buddy.

Oh yes. Keep posting, so we can all relive it for the first time :allears:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

I really hate the dayman episode and song just because people circlejerk over it like it's the funniest thing ever and any time IASIP is mentioned some nerd has to be that guy and sing it.

The one thing the show gets credit for is not running it into the ground. It's been 5 seasons and they still haven't returned to that well.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Advice posted:

Did IASIP start the whole greenman/morph suit thing or did Charlie take it from an existing meme? I never know whether someone wearing it at a party or sports game is referencing the show.

Charlie/Mac in real life used to go to games and do this. Always Sunny more or less made it a meme/popularized it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Attention Horse posted:

Just started watching this show last week, it's so loving awesome. 4th season just absolutely killed me, and everything Charlie says and does is pure gold. Are the later seasons still awesome, or is there a decline in quality?

Much like every season- whether the episode is just ok or great, they get better on rewatch. For a show that's going to enter it's tenth year I felt it hasn't really waned in significant quality.

When you catch up, start watching the League.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

FadingChord posted:

I'm not wild about Fight Milk, but Mac's storyline is otherwise pretty good. I love how quickly Dee and Dennis turn on him and while the whole "getting off" joke doesn't really pay off the way it should, Mac and Dennis arguing about whether or not they're going to bang the caddy is probably the highlight of the episode.

Well, that and Frank fixing the printer.

I do like the re-appearance of the penis bicep.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 10, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Pomp posted:

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but are there people out there that think the waitress is a bitch because she won't date Charlie and/or think Dennis is not creepy?

No.. I don't think so.

But there are people who find Dee/Kaitlin Olson unfunny so anything is possible.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dennis is rear end in a top hat. Why Charlie hate?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

PROFESSOR!

Every scene at that school was gold.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I just read some of the (supposed) episode titles for next season. I wish I hadn't.

EPISODE 10:
Mac Kills His Dad :ohdear:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I just started watching this show a little while ago, a clip on youtube convinced me to give it a shot. I'm on season 1 episode 6. I know sometimes long time fans like the novelty of a fresh set of eyes, would anyone be interested in reading my thoughts on the show?

I'm sick as a dog so I'm not doing much else but watch it.

Yes. It's the off-season - and a fresh perspective is always fun to read.
The show really starts to come into it's own in season 2.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know, everyone on TV looks tall. My friend specifically said the internet was full of poo poo and he was no way as tall as it said.

Mac spends time on screen next to Charlie Day AND Danny Devito- of course he's going to look tall.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

It is important that Charlie have been molested because it further positions him as the anti-Dennis. They are both Frank's son and both are as disgusting an individual as Frank but how they are disgusting is orthogonal. Dennis victimizes women, so to maintain the funhouse mirror Charlie is a victim of sexual violence.

See, that's humor right there! Situational irony, man.

Charlie was very much molested by his uncle.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

You can't really have a straight man here because everyone else is literally evil, be it by design or ineptitude of the character, and by association the straight man would become evil as well.

You could only have maybe two episodes where a straight man would be able to go "Awww, man you want to rape that guy girl/murder that guy/emotionally abuse that person, Dennis? Ha ha, oh man, that's crazy, man, don't do it. Let's grab some coffee instead."

The "straight man" is either when innocent people get involved in the gang's antics, or when the gang has to deal with people even crazier than they are.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I'm torn between this and Mac's Big Break as to which had a funnier dream/reality ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Feriowind posted:

My friend made this animated kinetic typography of the scene where Dennis and Mac make a dating profile for Charlie and it's amazing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLMpjPuQek

Awesome! I would tweet that to Glenn and the cast over twitter. They usually check out/acknowledge fan related material.