Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

An episode where the Gang is forced to interact with sane people and the sane people recoil in horror will never not be funny to me. Especially now that it's been firmly established that Dennis is the most messed up of them and has lost all ability to interact with the normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I always tend to enjoy Always Sunny episodes more the second or third time I watch them so I'm sure I'll love it more when it shows up on Netflix and I binge it.

I know I enjoyed most of the season and it never once felt like a show I "had" to watch. There were a number of already memorable episodes and events and jokes that will probably be brought back up down the line. It worked for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I largely enjoyed the season and I'm actually pretty cool with the idea of the Always Sunny gang going off and doing their own stuff after 12 years and just coming back to do a 13th and 14th season whenever they feel like it. When you've been on this long that sort of "lets see how it plays out" schedule is probably more likely to produce funny and interesting content rather than being expected to pull out the same number of episodes about the same characters year after year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The kid isn't much of an actor (because he's a kid) but like he's basically an adorable prop for all their craziness.

It will suck if the show lasts a few years and we have to find out if he can act or is funny on his own merits. But for now he's awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first time I saw him was in Wet Hot American Summer (the tv series) and he was fantastic in that. He plays great shithead douchebags.

I just rewatched Preacher S1 and was shocked to realize he was one of the little kids in it. Dude had a major growth spurt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was like a little bit of Dee in Mick early on but as the character developed they really became nothing alike. Besides all the ticks and character jokes Mick is much more competent, self assured, and selfless.

The comparison was inevitable and understandable early on when an actress started playing a not totally different character on a not totally different kind of show. But after a season Mick is its own show and character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phenotype posted:

That was absolutely worth the watch, thanks. For some reason the Grilled Charlie just destroyed me -- I didn't realize he puts the cheese between the bread and the pan and butters the wrong side of the bread every time.

The Milk Steak got me for the "You pull it out when it looks like its... done? I don't know." Just something about him clearly knowing what he was doing in a kitchen but being hopelessly perplexed on the most basic of "when its done" got me cracking up.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 21, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I know the appeal of The League was very specifically me and my friends saying "That. We totally did that." Which could have been a regional thing at times. But I don't think I've ever watched Always Sunny and related to it. I guess maybe I'm more familiar with loud mouth assholes in general or something but I feel like Always Sunny is so far over the top that its no longer even in the realm of familiarity or realism or whatever.

I mean, maybe in the first season before poo poo got really crazy? But they were pretty cartoony even then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

After my Mick episode ended on Hulu today it started of Always Sunny's first episode before I turned it off, and it was kind of a shock to see early Dee in contrast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Krankenstyle posted:

haha what the hell, i saw Rob as Charlie and Chase as Rob? wtf is even wrong with me

I did too first time through and was all set to make a sad post about Dennis truly being gone.

Then I watched it a second time and realized Mac just grew a fuller beard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh I’m sorry there’s no way those books are real.

The whole backdrop makes me think they're either the bougiest mfers around or they live in a fake model house. That fire and nuts ain't real either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brawnfire posted:

Looks like either a bar stocked with samples,

Fake model house?

Brawnfire posted:

or a collection of essential oils.

Bougiest mfers?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its ok, not great. It definitely feels like its in the Always Sunny/Mick "world" but hasn't fully embraced that fact yet so it hasn't gone crazy yet. But it feels like it could but its still finding its feet. Like one episode Glenn interacts with his students, the next Patton Oswalt, the next the lady teacher clique... it feels to me like its still trying to figure out what it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's nothing really damning about "people only tuned in for the Mick or AP Bio because of Always Sunny." Movies and shows use star power and recognition to draw in audiences all the time. The initial hook is just that. Eventually it wears off and the show sinks or swims on its own merits.

AP Bio's pretty early in but its making me laugh and holding my interest. Would I have given it a shot if not for the Alwas Sunny connection? No, probably not. But its not like that's the only think keeping me watching. I'm not prepared to call AP Bio a hit on its own merits, and its very 50/50 right now. But that's fine for 5 episodes in. I'm entertained for now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Slightly Absurd posted:

Yeah, the homophobia was kinda weird. Jimmy seems like the kinda dude who wouldn't mind being on the bi-side
I actually interpreted his response to "Jimmy, have you ever considered that you're gay?" as "Nah, I tried it but I hated it." Like I actually imagined Jimmy went and hooked up with a bunch of dudes and then concluded through research that he was straight and that thing with his cousin really was just a weird life event like Doug said.

I don't know. I think they were kind of trying to go for Jimmy not actually being "homophobic" in the sense that he had a problem with Doug being gay, but that Doug not telling him he was gay outright triggered that weird trust issue from that strange thing with his cousin. It was weird and at best kind of "heteronormative" I guess, but when it came down to it Jimmy get past it pretty easy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a lot of sitcoms I'll watch until they go on break because they amuse me and then I'll just kind of lose interest because there was nothing good enough to keep me coming back. That's kind of where AP Bio is right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're the Worst is cool. They do some interesting stuff with depression and ptsd past the first season. Although the last season kind of left me a little "eh".

My recent example of that was Detour. I was loving it when I binged it last season and then this season I just wasn't feeling it enough to add it to my weekly watches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The javelin thing was somehow the perfect line of "Holy poo poo, no way the Mick would do that it has to be a fantasy!" and "Oh holy poo poo, I can't believe the Mick went there but I totally believe they did!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Weltlich posted:

counterpoint: all it needs is the low frequency hum of fluorescent tubes to make the high school experience complete

Yeah, I assume its an intentional stylistic choice to represent the whole "stuck teaching high school in Toledo" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really liked Jack's mutual "that's impressive" and "ok, maybe you should pull back from that" reactions.

His bemused reactions to the small little aspects of the kids' drama we catch is the highlight of the show for me.

"Trust me, being stalked is no fun."
"For the last time, I'm not stalking you! We just have the same class schedule!"
"Hmmm. Interesting."

Its like there's this entire other sitcom happening that Jack just resists engaging with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've always gotten the impression that most people prefer Always Sunny's later years to its earlier ones, but its probably a question of taste. Its pretty indisputable that they get way more evil and absurd and the episodes get broader and more out there as the show goes on. For some people that's probably a turn off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

steinrokkan posted:

Lots of the latter episodes feel like Sunny fanfic, tbh, but there's no season without strong points.

I don't mean this as a knock, but I don't fully get what "fanfic" means as a criticism here.

If "fanfic" is defined as taking established characters and writing them into a variety of random, non contextual "What if?" scenarios than I fail to see how Always Sunny wasn't always this.

If "fanfic" is defined as "fans writing stories about someone else's work" then when we know its the same writers and creators at the pen I can only really see that as a statement that over the years their tastes and styles have changed in a different way than some viewers' have (or haven't).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I get that. Like I said, the characters became broader and bigger as time went on and that's not going to be everyone's tastes.

I think it happens with most sitcoms as time goes on because subtext and running gags just can't last forever without becoming full blown character traits no matter how cartoonish it makes the characters. But Always Sunny weathered it better than most IMO because they were already pretty terrible people in pretty outrageous situations to begin with and they just escalated the show with them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I recently rewatched the episode and the entire point is that Charlie and Mac are giving him poo poo for the fact that he bangs jailbait all the time, he's rejecting the high schooler because of that, and as soon as they say "its 18, its ok" he's all for it.

Dennis has never had morals. It was just easier to hide and more socially acceptable when he was younger. I choose to believe he got more outrageously monstrous as it became harder for him to get laid and he had to get more twisted and twisted about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, for as mean as the show can be it really doesn't get on the kids for their general dorkiness. It gets on some of their bad social quirks and there was that one PTA episode where Jack was handing out harsh truths but no ones trying to change these kids. Even that one kid Jack hates is sort of just free to stay bad as long as he likes as long as he doesn't bother Jack.

Granted it might still happen but if it does I imagine it will be a disaster and end with Heather embracing that she's cool as gently caress, probably after Jack and whatshisface (the boy she likes) say as much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Disney bought both FX and FXX? I think?

I could never get that straight. I think Fox still owns the Fox Network, FS1, and Fox News but everything else is going to Disney. Including FX, FXX, controlling share in Hulu, and all the regional Fox Sports channels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but I get the impression most feel all these Fox cancelations are somewhat connected to them "cleaning house."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't call it tame. I mean, maybe compared to an HBO show. Its not as out there as Always Sunny or the Mick but there's some pretty dark and weird stuff. Its definitely in the same vein of Always Sunny even if its definitely toned down for network.

But its basically all about Heather.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just remember, there's always someone watching saying "Yeah, that's totally us."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baronjutter posted:

It sort of upsets me that people are watching this show totally missing the point while they slap their knee after Mac totally says what we're all thinking about the gay agenda or Frank tells it how it is about asian drivers or gets reasonably frustrated about how the he-she's can't make up their minds on what we call them today.

It's like someone watching Starship Troopers, nodding along thinking Verhoeven has depicted a very good society.

Its just the inevitability of this kind of satire. Colbert. Chappelle. Some people are always going to read it the other way because it fits their perspective.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Always Sunny actually made me choke up a little?

Love it or hate it but as we've said a bunch you gotta appreciate that after 13 years these folks are still willing to just go way out of the box and try something you have to imagine they never thought they'd be doing when they were making the first episode.

But also speaking of the first episode I got a good laugh out of them coming around to the gay bar idea NOW.

Also am I forgetting a joke. What was with the peaches?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

tin can made man posted:

Considering the male-centric focus of the episode, there's also certainly something with there being literally only three female characters: 1. Dee, who is both the defacto 'wife' of the gang in script terms and also Rob McElhenny's literal Wife, 2. the dancer who obviously evoked the Madonna in her final pose, and 3. Mac's mystery hookup who evokes Roxie the Whore in her implied sexual proclivity and also last being seen in a hallway

I'm pretty sure his "hook up" was the dancer. He wasn't hooking up, they were working on the dance. I went back and she's even carrying dancing shoes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For a second I was actually expecting the dance to be another reunion fakeout. I'm glad it wasn't but I actually think that was part of what I really liked about that ending. In the back of your mind you're kind of waiting for the Always Sunny punchline. A bit of a diversion of expectations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually wanted to rewatch the dance on my DVR tonight so I gave the people I was with some super quick Mac background ("long repressed, super religious but in a really dumb, ignorant way loaded with guilt and repression, randomly came out a couple of years ago, his dad is a horrible scumbag who has never given a poo poo about him but he's always strived for his love, but its almost entirely all been done as a joke.") then showed them the opening scene and the final one. And everyone really got the emotion and message and agreed it was a powerful thing even without any real context.

That's some drat impressive storytelling from a show that almost never does anything earnestly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guys, there's not really any point in arguing with a position that is basically "I know the dance had an explicit message, that message was repeated throughout the episode, the show creator has talked about how hard he worked to craft that message and deliver it, and fans and critics across the board have praised that message and its delivery... but none of that matters because its a comedy and I didn't 'get' it."

Like, even before someone drops a good ole' "virtue signaling".

But yeah, there's no reason this changes anything for the show. Next season Mac can go right back to being a monster. There's been humanizing moments before, this was just a high point.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehh, they’ve peppered in a handful of moments like that before (obviously not even close to the same scale and impact), where the gang has treated each other like genuine human beings, but they still find ways to resume arguing. I’d bet that the only big change from here on out will be that they no longer use Mac’s sexuality as a running gag.

I feel like they largely stopped doing that once he came out. Like the joke was never that Mac was gay, it was that he was so repressed, riddled with absurd religious guilt, and transparently over compensating even when all his friends clearly knew and didn't really care. I think those jokes were mostly dead anyway once he came out but this episode basically closed the book on them by addressing Mac dealing with them.

Of course its Always Sunny so I wouldn't be shocked to see Carmen show back up or something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And I think that was the entire joke for those who watched the dance asking "Where's the punchline? The dance must be the joke?" The whole episode builds in the typical Always Sunny way with Frank courting disaster, the Gang being aloof and selfish assholes, and Mac rambling about a nonsensical thing he's working on. So we're all expecting it to pay out the way it always has for 13 years. So the subversion of Mac's dance actually working, being awesome, having no joke, and getting through to his surrogate father is the "joke."

To be clear. The dance wasn't the joke, the subversion of our expectations is. The joke was clearly an earnest and dedicated project.

Hell, the whole thing even subverted the typical Always Sunny formula in that Mac didn't actually do anything wrong the entire episode. There was no comeuppance or fall for him to have. Pretty much every Always Sunny episode is directly built on the Gang doing terrible and selfish things that blow up in their faces. But if the dance had been embarrassing it would have been just mocking Mac for wanting to come out to his dad and struggling with his sexuality. It would have been way more mean and offensive than Always Sunny typically is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doltos posted:

That's no one's position and coming into a comedy forum thread about a comedy show looking for a fight is virtue signaling.

There's literally no point in arguing over whether something is or isn't "virtue signaling" since all you're saying is that the interpretation you disagree with is "virtuous" but since you don't agree with it you can't grasp how someone else could. That's just a statement about yourself and you do you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm literally not gonna argue over the nonsensical "virtue signaling" silliness. Its loving stupid.

But I most certainly didn't call anyone a bigot there. I'm not sure where you got that from, but just for the record I haven't seen a single thing in this thread* that I'd call bigotry so sorry if you got that from somewhere.

edit: *well recently, in this conversation. Its a long thread.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't say I buy into "the integrity or philosophy of the show" in any way but to what I can put myself in that perspective I'm not sure it actually "betrayed" anything. Nothing Mac did was done to help anyone but himself. Frank acted a bit unselfishly/empathetically but its not like he actually gave anything up or made any sacrifices. He didn't want to take part in the Gay Pride float in the first place.

Mac's still a selfish rear end in a top hat. What he wanted this time was a little personal peace. No one acted out of character unless you just don't buy that Frank would ever "get it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Carmen episodes seem key (including the gay marriage one). I actually just rewatched the first one and while its kind of problematic it obviously lays the groundwork very early that Mac wasn't totally straight.

Charlie Has Cancer
Mac Is a Serial Killer
Mac Fights Gay Marriage, Dee Gives Birth

There's probably a bunch more where his crush on Dennis is on display. Although nothing that immediately comes to mind.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 10, 2018