Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I really enjoyed the episode and all of the Breaking Bad references. I remember how last year "The Gang Recycles Their Trash" became the theme of the season with lots of callbacks and jokes from previous seasons, well I wouldn't be surprised if "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award" became the theme of this season, using lots of references to critically acclaimed shows or even mocking the idea of Oscar bait in several episodes.

Some of the callbacks

This guy reminded me a lot of Walter White when he was a total pushover early in Breaking Bad. Also, his name is Walt, a fact that I forgot.

Also, I realize that the Helium club is in Philadelphia, but I just found it to be too appropriate a detail to just slip in considering all the other BB references and the importance of the periodic table in the BB credits.

Here's another BB nod, not only to Albuquerque, the setting of Breaking Bad, but to an important episode in season 2 titled "ABQ" The flight number is also worth noting.

Of course we all know everyone's favorite bodyguard garbageman.

I also got some serious callback vibes from this scene with the "Jokes on Dee" party.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

nasboat posted:

I think you're reaching pretty far here to make a connection, outside of the fact that the guy who plays Huell was in the episode.

I'm definitely reaching, but I thought it was a nice touch to include Albuquerque in the flight path shot. Still, when you see a Homeland homage in episode 7 you will know where you heard it first :colbert:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I really really loved this episode. I'd put it top 5 for sure.

Charlie's second song was just delivered so perfectly. Really everyone had the best timing this episode.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 19, 2013

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Gave it a rewatch when I got home and still really enjoyed it. I never noticed how cavalierly Charlie starts to spit during his song because I was laughing so hard the first time. I loved how Charlie's song started with "There is a spider," and despite all of us knowing that it was coming it was still a great punchline. The only moment I didn't enjoy was the burlesque subplot because the scene with Frank and Artemis came out of left field and the plot wasn't given time to develop.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Condiv posted:

I think the whole burlesque subplot was a stab at darker themed shows that win awards for being "deep" when they're really just hosed up and dumb.

IE: 24

Yeah, I gathered that much. Although I was linking it to American Horror story since every other episode involves some sort of bondage gear, amputee sex, or other general deviency.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Found this ad on the old Craigslist.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

For a line that everyone knows is coming, that first one is an explosively funny punchline.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember that Frank had ariline miles from pulling the Boggs stunt, so he already had a bunch to spend.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'd also add that the only thing that specifically makes me think the extended take was inspired by Birdman was the symbal crash whenever Charlie slammed the barstool. It made me think of the drum influence in Birdman, but that's a pretty small element overall.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The use of music during this season has been absolutely fantastic.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just noticed that the bar from "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award" is the same bar that's used in the episode of The Office when they drive into Philly for a trivia contest.

Gotta respect the attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Endless Trash posted:

[Dee drunkenly singing Runaway Train to a teenager]

I confused this with Dee drunkenly singing Bad Company