Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Pretty good episode, but I gotta give some credit to Kaitlin Olsen's physical comedy here. She can pratfall like a champ, and I'm not usually into that kind of stuff. Also willing to get fake fish guts all over her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm glad they still pull out that gag every once and a while because it always gets a chuckle out of me.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Why is Frank always trying to make people look like cats? I love it though.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I've watched episodes of this show here and there over the years and really enjoyed them, but never settled down to actually watch a full season. A friend kept raving about it so finally I just decided to settle in and slowly work my way through the seasons.

Less than 2 weeks later I'm caught up on 10 seasons of the show and I desperately want more. This is an insanely good show and I can't believe it took me so long to get to it... though I'm concerned that much concentrated Sunny can't have been good for my mental health.

A few years ago, one of my friends picked up a few seasons on DVD for cheap once, and we watched a few episodes. I later binged through the whole series in about the same amount of time. I was going through some really bad depression at the time, and I give a lot of credit to Sunny for helping me through it. It really cheered me up, honestly.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I think the first episode I saw was "Mac and Dennis Break Up." Kind of a weird start in retrospect, but I was sold on the sheer absurdity of some of the lines; especially Charlie "cat in the wall, eh? now you're talkin' my language." He's been my favorite character ever since.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'll say it every time he's mentioned, but Steve Harvey is a goddamn national treasure.

It definitely felt like Key was channeling him a little bit in the episode, and it was great. Also, Dennis going into the fetal position at the end was hilarious.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

If Danny DeVito wasn't on the show, I would say that Kaitlin Olsen has the best physical comedy on the show. That buzzer smash was just vintage Dee.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I just realized that Frank basically inserted himself into his estranged kids' lives, then proceeded to become closer with their friends and break them down psychologically.

In any other show I would hate his guts, but drat I can't help but love him and his crazy antics.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

hemophilia posted:

By the time they got to the blood bag I was in tears. Very good episode.

The way it was edited where Dee was so sure they were going to extract a little and then it jump cuts to like a gallon of blood in a sandwich bag was perfect. Me and my buddy were dying.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

The knife gag was enhanced by the fact that the knives were Frank's toe knife and a knife coated in lemon juice. I think this season is really shaping up to be a classic, can't wait to binge this on Netflix when it's available.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I think Dee is the most convincing drunk of the gang, and those dry heaves in 'Erotic Life' are amazing. It's hard for me to rank the gang, because I am such a big fan of the gruesome twosome, but Dee just might be my favorite. At the same time, I really identify with Charlie...

drat, what a great show. Bummed that the newest season is nearly over.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Was that Dax Shepard back there?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome, this episode is just crazy so far; heavily involving the whole gang. Also, of course Mac and Charlie would just sign their moms up.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Is this the closest to committing murder that they've come?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm glad we got to see more of Mac and Charlie's moms. Those two are always great.

I love how they've become friends such that Mrs. Kelly can understand the meaning of Ms. Mac's grunts now. Also Mrs. Kelly is a total sweetheart.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

willie_dee posted:

I have watched this episode 40 times and I don't get why its the best, but its so good I can just watch it on repeat, nothing has ever had that effect on me. I've watched every episode once, apart from that one, which i've watched over and over.

I feel the same. Just thinking through some of the great moments and lines from the episode and I kinda want to put it on right now.

Like: "I hope they lock you in the basement and rape you for a hundred years", potato chips from the hamburger store, and the Asian-Texan family in full Texan regalia come to mind in particular. Frank whipping the vase at the end is just the cherry on top.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"That's what indy would do!" and Charlie's diversion are also brilliant moments. Oh and the Arizona leather shop.

It's a brilliant episode, I don't know if it's the best or not, but it's amazing.

drat, I forgot about these. Yep, it's time for a rewatch...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Hi, my name's Frak. poo poo! *whistle*

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I was a bit worried about the season 11 premiere being a retread at first, but it was actually awesome. Frank making up his own rules was amazing. Additionally, having an outsider witness their twisted game was a surprisingly good move.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Well, one thing I've learned from cutting hair all these years, Danielle, is you don't have to go to a high-end salon to get a high-end salon-quality cut.

"Oh, it's cold."

"Don't worry, we'll get it hot in a minute."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I love Charlie's bizarre accent in "Flowers for Charlie." It cracks me up every time I watch it and he says "I've become quite weareh."

Overall, the goofy accents these guys do are amazing. Martina Martinez and the Swedish Plumber get honorable mentions too.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Overall it was a weak episode of Sunny, but like any weak episode of this series there were some great isolated lines and moments. I was chuckling this morning at the moment Frank recovers his memory, and his first question regarding the people in the apartment is "Are we havin' a gangbang?"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm normally not too keen on the McPoyles either, but they're a great addition to "The Gang Gets Invincible."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I actually like how little the bar patrons react to the gang's antics; it's like they're just so used to their bullshit drama that they don't even care about it anymore.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm kinda bummed because I think Drisco might be a one-off character. He's the best.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

ZDar Fan posted:

I've been watching some old episodes lately, and I wish they hadn't killed Barbara off so early. Anne Archer had a different kind of horribleness that worked well with the show's dynamic.

Like Frank, her particular brand of awful really informed Dennis and Dee's characters. She was pompous and superior without earning the right to act like it, and Dennis and Dee constantly interact with other people the same way. It's great character work.

Really, thinking about it, all the characters' parents work well to tell the audience more about the gang.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

This episode has probably been wall-to-wall laughs for me so far. Holy poo poo. "Outta the way, Jews!"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

If I had one complaint about this episode besides the length it's that it's a little weird for Frank to not know their names. I know it was mostly for fun, he was drugged for most of the episode, and you aren't supposed to think heavily about it, but he isn't senile like this portrayed.

He took a pretty nasty blow to the head just earlier this season; I figured that has been causing more of Frank's even stranger behavior. For instance, when he was being strangely affected by the art a few episodes ago.

I missed that thing about the brain tumor though. That explains a lot too.

edit: I can't believe some people didn't like this episode. It's probably one of my new favorites along with last week's entry. Well, to each their own.

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 11, 2016

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the episode was near perfect too, but I also thought the Uncle Jack hand gag was run into the ground a bit too much. That being said, it was hilarious how in the scene right after his hand flies off, he has his hands duct taped to his jacket sleeves.

Crazy amount of returning guest stars, so that was amazing. Pondy's son (great to see him back too) being his dealer was inspired.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

JordanStiva posted:

Whether or not the show is leaning hard into it's fan service, it still remains obscenely funny so I'm happy. A bit that hasn't been mentioned that cracked me up was Mac and Dennis giving the judge a thumbs up after banging his gavel.

I had totally forgotten about that because of sheer amount of crazy poo poo that went down afterward. If I remember right they both get huge grins on their faces too.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

This might be a good set-up for a Lawyer's revenge next season. At least, I hope so.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

So what was it when he tells himself that it's not gay when he was banging the transvestite?

I hate to be that guy, but I believe she was a transsexual.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Haha they say "impressions" and Dee slides into frame immediately.

edit:so I guess we're getting a bottle episode as a finale.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That was incredibly well done, and I am very satisfied with the ending of that season. The shift between touching hand-holding to single-minded swim-fighting was perfect. Classic 'Sunny.'

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

criscodisco posted:

I thought she was just sitting in the back through "dinner" because she had just announced that she was done with the gang.

That's how I read it too. It was really perfect that she couldn't help but drag herself back into their game, and does so with the blender gag (which was really funny). Kaitlin plays the "tag-along sister" type really well, and that moment really fit her character nicely.

There's a moment in S02 (I think, don't remember the particular episode) where Dennis insists the gang has always been him, Mac, and Charlie. Dee protests that she's a part of the gang too, and Frank in a parental tone says "Dennis, let your sister be a part of the gang!" You really got the sense that Dee has desperately wanted to be included in their shenanigans, but has been shunned her whole life.

I've been a tag-along my whole life, so I really appreciate how well they play it in the show.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

And somebody said it was a "bottle episode" :allears:

Normally I'd say that I'd eat my words, but in this case I'll drink them. And be so impressed that I drown in them.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I always recognized Mac's mom as the grandma in 'Napoleon Dynamite'

It was a small part in the movie, but she was awesome in it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Looks p good to me, but I'm easy to please.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Z is one of my fav guests solely because his monologue to Ben the Soldier about jean shorts is so good.

YA GOTTA TAKE 'EM OFF, SON. YA GOTTA TAKE 'EM OFF!

Inspirational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe they'll try running for district comptroller again.