Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In that episode Charlie said they had never talked about Mac being gay, but in fact Charlie had mentioned it once before :spergin:

0/10 worst episode ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a sarcastic nickname, but it's also affectionate. He's a loser and everybody knows that, but he's a cool, fun loser, which must be especially apparent in contrast to all the other adults at the high school.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pictures.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That Psycho episode felt like it was made by gluing together spare ideas, on a tight schedule. The plot lines didn't interact with each other, and lots of the dialogue felt heavy handed and unfinished / not incorporated into the scene. Specifically exchanges between Dennis and Dee were very basic and schematic, plus quite poorly presented, as if only hastily rehearsed.

Still, this is a great season so far.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aye Doc posted:

I would say they're declining all the same. Charlie has been getting more violent, spiteful, and egotistical as time goes on and Mac is being forced to face his repressed urges/feelings more and more frequently

I guess Mac is the only member of the gang who remains relatively benign. Being repressed doesn't hurt others, and unlike Charlie he doesn't tend to sacrifice people in selfish schemes.

I mean, even in the grocery store robbery episode Mac was the only person whose fantasy didn't involve murdering / letting die a friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadow posted:

I tried to find a list of all the episodes where Dennis either shows his complete psychopathic personality or just completely loses it.

One of my favorite ones is the rivalry for flip-cups. The scene where he comes back from the frat with Frank and just keeps screeching "IDIOTS, IDIOTS.. its not funny ITS NOT FUNNY"... this doesn't do it justice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pvtVdI9f9I

Makes me lose it every time.

Can one of you die hard fans list out some episodes to put in a playlist plz :D

I think the most iconic one for me remains his escalating denial in making the fancy dress, and the outpouring of anger on his models.

Anyway, this week's was a strong episode. Repeating creampie wasn't particularly funny on its own, but the mix-up between the Gruesome Twosome and the rest of the gang was great, and they have done really good job working the restaurant into the show's continuity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know why but I found the dee/charlie scenes to just be adorable, I always thought it was one of the 'least believable' aspects of the gang's social dynamic that Charlie doesn't try to hit on dee more often and I felt it was a nice moment for both characters that they finally got it on, can't wait to see how this gets brought up in the future.

Nothing happened you goddamn BITCH!

Great episode, I was happy to see they acknowledged the development of the gang from a relatively normal group of friends in Season 1 to the madhouse of more recent seasons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, you recognized wrong because that wasn't Maria Bamford, though I concede there's some similarity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadow posted:

3. i more or less agree with you. a 3 episode arc before going back to status quo could have been cool

Have we forgotten Panderosa? :911:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pahuyuth posted:

The entire cast was on last night's Conan, anyone catch it? Devito was awesome, no surprise there.

Devito: "My dad had a box full of teeth and watches"

The segment opened with a preview of an upcoming episode that looks like the gang are contestants on a game show.

Haven't seen them on Conan, but apparently when DeVito was on Kimmel they showed a scene from the very same episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6HAR1ySFk

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The ending was a bit abrupt (what's the deal with episodes being under 20 minutes anyway?) but it was refreshing to see the gang trying to act as a moral center of their surroundings once again. Also nice callback to Moreen's cat sweaters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They didn't just shave bits of the opening off - they had to reshoot the whole thing, scene for scene, IIRC because of transferring the show to HD. In one of the commentary tracks they talk about how impressed they were with how the two sequence matched almost perfectly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Charlie Day is currently in Berlin trying to sell Hitler's dog paintings (of debatable authenticity).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think that S2E1 is not just a logical introductory episode, it's also basically a perfect microcosmos of the entire show, so if somebody doesn't get it, there's a good chance they won't like Sunny.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To backtrack a bit: The Gang Runs for Office has the best cut to title :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadow posted:

I love how deluded Mac is. Like when he wanted to "round house kick" the car window open. As soon as he fails miserably, he immediately "evaluates the street" and determined, naturally, that he hadn't anticipated the slope of the road.

He's like that 12 year old friend who just can't stop making up skills they have. :allears:

This asphalt isn't regulation!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope that instead of blowing the gently caress up they're building up to him actually finding a new source of success and reasserting his delusional dominance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I find it hard to believe that somebody sane enough to like Sunny would also waste their time on Family Guy, which is crap, pure unadulterated crap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ariza posted:

It's amazing how some people like one of the longest running & popular animated shows on TV? Are you retarded?

The Young and The Restless is the hallmark of human achievement. Also, yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Flush that turd down the drain!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Can I offer you a nice egg in these trying times?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

he looks old when he gets angry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think some of the divisiveness comes from how short the eps are due to the move to FXX. A lot of the discussion seems to hinge on 'I guess, episode XXX was okay, but I think they really woulda knocked it outta the park if they had a few more minutes to do/expand/tie together YYY'

I like the season, but yeah, literally every episode has had a "Is there a scene missing?" moment or five (except fo Charlie Work, I guess). In commentaries for the past seasons they frequently talk about how this part or another had lots of interesting versions, and how difficult it was to pick the final cut, I can only guess this season was even more cannibalistic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If we're complaining, I guess i feel like this series is getting too meta for me - there are too many specific references to moments and dynamics established in past seasons. instead of developing the gang forward.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, Mac is only working on his glamour muscles and ignoring the core. it's common knowledge!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Liberty Bell is good just because of the gang being offended by the portrait of Washington.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadow posted:

I can't even imagine what it's like to gain and lose that much weight in a short amount of time.

He's lucky he could take and keep it off. For many that can end badly.

Well, I guess he had a diet advisor, on account of there being significant money to be lost in case he failed to lose the weight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Interesting to see that many people didn't like the season finale. I originally thought the premise was horseshit (and honestly, it was), but they more than balanced that out with jokes. Dennis getting angry at Mac and manipulating him as if he were his boyfriend was great, and there were many more good moments throughout the episode. The only thing that fell short of expectations was the rushed finale, but honestly that's sort of the defining feature of this season. Also they didn't get Cricket involved in their cult-suicide scheme, which was a missed opportunity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

speshl guy posted:

Meanwhile Charlie and Frank haven't aged a day in 10 years, I guess a cat food diet and some toe knife grooming really go a long way.

I have noticed that Charlie's wardrobe has become substantially less rotten in recent years and that his illiteracy comes and goes as it's needed.

Frank aged quite a lot, imho, but he's able to draw energy from simple pleasures, like torturing homeless dudes.

As for Charlie, I guess I agree that he should look more dishevelled, but he's always been pretty selectively literate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

They are an old married couple, there's a difference!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The waitress should have appeared as a cult member to imress Dennis, then be told by him to commit ritual suicide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
An eisode about the yo-yo craze would be perfect for the Sunny.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's the big deal about sacrificing your baby anyway, just throw it in the dumpster, and good things will happen

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess if you care about chronology, "Frank sets Dee on fire" is a relatively early episode that gives plenty of air time to all characters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

What's the worst episode of It's Always Sunny? My straw poll says it's The High School Reunion (Part 1) or The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods.

Psycho Pete and the one with Frank's brother and Shadynasty.

That being said, Psycho Pete is vastly inferior to the other one, and like the only episode that is terrible from a script-writing point of view.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who Pooped the Bed? is my personal worst. I can't stand Artemis's analysis at the end.

Yeah, that's another bad episode.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pooping the bed has some great scenes, but the overall premise is really crass and out of place in the series.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DNova posted:

Actually he is great but he should not have been on Sunny.

Sudeikis is good, but his deal seems to be playing smooth, charismatic characters, and the episode called for him being an rear end in a top hat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ChesterJT posted:

I don't think that's it at all. It's that the gang are assholes and he's not, thus he doesn't fit in.

Yeah, you are right, he was meant to be the common man, refused by the gang. I hosed up my analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Being Frank should be an episode about a TV station trying to make a documentary about Frank, the multi-millionaire enigma who created some sort of corporate powerhouse.

With obvious results. Featuring Charlie and bridges and trash and hoares.