Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That is the cruelest episode of television I have ever seen.

Which for this show is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Seinfeld's last two seasons are absolutely fantastic, and featured one of the all-time great TV episodes: The Merv Griffin Show.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Count me on the side of the underwhelmed. I thought it was too broad and obvious (not that Sunny is a show that prides itself on subtlety). Usually when Sunny lampoons hot-button issues they're much more clever; this felt like a series of obvious talking points presented without much in the way of comment. I mean, it wasn't awful, but Sunny is rarely that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I love the show's commitment to nicknames. Even in death, all that poor man gets is a poorly photoshopped poster that says COUNTRY MAC. Almost makes me hope that one day down the road we see a headstone that just reads THE WAITRESS, but that would probably result in Charlie Chris Benoit-ing the rest of the gang.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

That's what killed him: contempt for the audience!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Barf Wight posted:

He was trying to get off

Flaccid. Erect. Flaccid. Erect.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Irish Joe posted:

2 more left. Next episode: Lethal Weapon 6

Oh god yes.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It also has the best line in the who show:

"VIET-GODDAM-NAM IS WHAT HAPPENED!"

You can't not quote the second part of the line ("Get me a beer, bitch!").

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Understandable.

God, that Christmas special is spectacular :allears:

"Did you gently caress my mom? Did you gently caress...my MOM? Did you gently caress my mom, Santa Claus? Did you gently caress my mom?! Did you gently caress her?! DID YOU gently caress MY loving MOM?! DID YOU gently caress MY MOM, SANTA?!"

I've found that showing people that scene out of context is actually a pretty effective sell for the show.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Whenever I watch Mac day I'm heartbroken when the episode ends right at the beginning of Frank day.

It might be gimmicky, but I'd loving love if they did _____ Day for the rest of the characters. Or at the very least, Frank Day and Mac Day. Dennis Day is probably just trolling for jailbait at the mall and pampering himself, and I don't even really know what Dee Day would be.

e: haha Dennis Day and D-Day

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is it fair to say at this point that Frank is DeVito's defining career role? And if so, has anybody else ever had that kind of overwhelming late-career breakthrough?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/review/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-10

quote:

The series has always been prone to creative experimentation, but it's never been as pervasive, or as successful, as it is here.

The most thrilling of these experiments comes in "Charlie Work," whose ambitious second half is composed of a 10-minute long take that bests True Detective's own infamous tracking shot for meticulously choreographed chaos.

:pwn:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

thrakkorzog posted:

It's not really a new thing to have a continuous long shots, Hitchcock was doing that back in 1948 with Rope, and Scorsese did it in Goodfellas. It's not exactly groundbreaking. But it is a pain in the rear end to pull off.

Nothing against the directors and editors who made it happen, since that is actually a fine technical achievement. But the whole, 'They're doing a Birdman/True Detective homage' doesn't exactly ring true, since that's been a thing for almost 70 years.

Still, hats off to the director and editors who pulled that off. Lesser directors would have balked at the task, and being compared to Hitchcock and Scorsese is no slight.

Yeah, those are massive Hollywood productions. This is a niche sitcom.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

King Vidiot posted:

It's not about newness, it's about how impressive of a feat it is considering time and budget constraints as compared to a huge Hollywood studio production. Something not being new doesn't make it unimpressive.

And it's still not something you regularly see on TV. Not to get too hyperbolic with the analogy, but in the late 60s the reaction to the Beatles using orchestras in their music wasn't "Psshhh, write a full symphony and get back to me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Glenn Howerton is seriously one of the best actors alive right now.