Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Long story short: Crunchyroll is paying the pertinent licensing fees to the copyright holders to translate and digitally republish the series. Those other sites are (usually) aggregating fan translations and providing zero income to the people who actually create the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Axiem posted:

I've also checked out Boku wa Mari no Naka, and am enjoying it (though I tend to like gender-bender/do-over stories). Though I'm trying to understand what all this about CrunchyRoll is from a bit ago. Does that mean that the only way I can actually read it and keep up with it is if I pay CrunchyRoll some money, or will stuff still show up on like, KissManga?

Crunchyroll is an official, licensed publisher/translator, kissmanga et al are sites that host fan scans and translations.

They just started doing manga a little bit ago, so I'm not really sure of all the details. But, I think that you can always read the latest chapter of their simul-pubs without being a member, but you need to have a membership to see the back catalogs.

E: whoops, what he said. ^^^^

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 16, 2014

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Captain Invictus posted:

Koe No Kotachi - Shonen, drama, comedy, romance(???), school years, psychological

Koe No Kotachi is about a deaf girl, and the bullying she endures during elementary school, as well as the main bully, who has his own share of troubles. It's pretty gut-wrenching, but surprisingly frank and the characters develop rapidly in interesting ways. This is a relatively new manga that first began as a oneshot and was so well received it bloomed into a full-blown weekly series! One of my favorite newer series, for sure. It's a wonderful and sometimes sorrowful story about bullying, redemption, forgiveness, and friendship.

I am quite enjoying this, if anything is clear by the fact that I just blew through every available chapter. The protagonist is fantastic. Rounded, flawed, but definitely a good dude. When he busted out sign language that he learned for one very specific thing that he didn't even know would happen, you can just feel the depth and gravity of his regret. There's almost some GTO or My Name is Earl vibes with the current direction of things, where he's going back to right some past wrongs with former classmates, albeit mostly unwillingly in the latest case. Thanks for sharing this!

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 16, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I said I'd do a live write-up of Qualia the Purple and I took too long. I've read half the series now. Here are my reactions.

For some reason at the end of chapter 1 or 2, I thought the little robot toy the girl gets was actually some life sized robot suit and I thought the story was going to go somewhere in that direction. It wasn't until the story progressed and her arm was cut off that I went back to that last page and realized it was the toy she went out and bought. And THAT is when I realized she was staring at her arm that was supposed to be missing directly after the robot purchase. And THAT is when I went back to the start of the manga and though "oh poo poo, what is going on here?" And THAT is when I finally just kept reading on to the insanity of what's really going on. When she was making jokes about not bringing police I was like "uhh does she have robot friends..." and then my jaw dropped when she did indeed have a robot friend... and then many robot friends. And then my jaw fell off when she took the woman apart into pieces. Welp, I guess everyone is robots then?!

No, wait, this girl just has some loving trans-dimensional powers I guess? She sees everyone's parts and has the ability to fix them. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Also I totally caught on that her phone was inside her hand before she actually looked at her hand. Upgrade!

Okay now that my unfortunately-awful reaction post to the beginning half of this series is over, I can finally read the rest and figure out what in the world is going on here. It really doesn't help that I always read manga in bed before falling asleep and I always manage to read twice as far as I say I will.

BTW the latest Attack on Titan chapter has some of the weirdest art. I really hope they get out of the stupid quagmire for show licensing and work on season 2 soon. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eight new Suicide Island chapters just dropped, finishing off the latest volume. I haven't read them yet, but I am already tense considering the most recent chapters...

edit: welp, what a loving cliffhanger. The next volume can't come soon enough!

I liked the resolution to the "assassin". Poor lil' fella, all he wanted was a kiss! :)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 17, 2014

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Found this thread, Read the first volume of IAAH and :drat:. The other recommendations are either already familiar or something that feels like I have to read ASAP.

I am home.

Just to add to Nausicaä's praise, Miyazaki started the manga in 1982, but if you look at the final panel, it's dated to 1994, so the story really kept going long after the anime was produced. The anime covers roughly one third of the whole story and you are truly missing out if you think the manga is not worth it after seeing the anime. I'm probably going to end up getting that new hard cover thing, even though I've bought the series like, three times now.

Here's one of my favorites:

Excel Saga

Energetic teen girl Excel is a member of a super secret organization ACROSS that tries to take over the world, but starts by trying to take over the city of Fukuoka. This proves to be tricky since ACROSS consists of Excel, her sidekick Hyatt who keeps spewing blood every five minutes and Ilpalazzo, their mysterious and charismatic prettyboy leader. Also their secret headquarters are in the sewers and ACROSS's budget is... lacking, so Excel and Hyatt end up doing all kinds of dead end temp jobs in order to make ends meet.

While most people know Excel Saga as the parody anime from early 2000s, the manga is more of a satire of modern Japanese society. Political corruption, unemployment, the estrangement of youth from the older generations are among the themes in the manga, but there are quite a lot of explosions, androids and mad scientists thrown in to keep things entertaining. Viz (the company who licensed the manga) describes Excel Saga as "if Michael Moore directed Power Rangers" and that's not too far from the truth really. There is still a hell of a lot of anime and manga parodies and references thrown in, but they are not as "in your face" as in the anime. I definitely recommend this for experienced readers with many classic series under their belt, because there is a lot to catch. The story itself starts out extremely slowly but it picks up the pace in volume 5 or 6 or wherever a certain girl named Elgala shows up. The first few volumes are basically used to set up the premise and to introduce the the extensive cast, and all the characters do get developed later, in some surprising ways. Just to emphasize, after the beginning the story takes a completely different direction from the anime, so please give this one a try even (especially?) if the anime didn't seem like much.

Viz's translation is top-notch by the way. They have managed to localise some very tricky wordplays and the translation notes in the end are worth reading, even in their retardedly small font white text on black background form. The dialogue may seem stilted at first but it's mostly Excel's over-the-top formal language in the beginning and it does get toned down later.

The manga actually finished not too long ago and the final volume was released in English just a couple of days ago.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 19, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Laputanmachine posted:

The anime covers roughly one third of the whole story
I did not know this. Thank you for telling me as this is the push I needed to go read the manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I did not know this. Thank you for telling me as this is the push I needed to go read the manga.

Nausicaa is kind of on a whole different level than most of the other suggestions in this thread (or in general). It reminds me of the quote about The Sandman books "if this isn't literature, nothing is".

I'm not even sure if the manga and anime align for even as much as a third, they start in the exact same place but diverge widely pretty quickly. Nausicaa the movie is a decent Stuido Ghibli film, and certainly an historic one, but probably not widely considered their best work. Nausicaa the manga is an outstanding piece of graphic art, and one of the greatest works of science fiction around.

i really like it

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The Nausicaa movie takes some of the elements of the manga and does some things with them that are kind of cool. The manga takes them and does some amazing things with them. A lot of themes and philosophical issues that the manga raises are barely even mentioned in the movie.

When I try to make the argument to people that manga doesn't just mean Naruto, hentai, and chibi poo poo, Nausicaa's the one I pull out. Of all the manga I've read, it's the one I think is most likely to be remembered in literature classes for decades.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I finished Qualia the Purple. Holy poo poo. I should not have read that before bed because I was probably up for a solid hour thinking about it and ended up having a freaky parallel universe jumping dream related to it.

To anyone who hasn't, please, go read it. To anyone who has, here are my thoughts.
Firstly, I loved how it had such a huge amount of intelligence thrown into it. The middle of the story reminded me of Haruhi a bit, with the different strange things that would occur. Once I got into the meat and climax, the parallel versions of the character trying to act like light, I saw a huge resemblance to (don't hurt me) Homestuck. There's a major parallel universe theme that occurs in Homestuck and it sorta gets to a point where characters fight to be the "alpha universe" with all other universes essentially being doomed, very similar to the doomed universes in Qualia. However, I think Qualia does it better than Homestuck in that Qualia's scientific explanation of what's happening is way more immersive and focused. When we got to a point where we're seeing multiples of the character talking to herself in her head-space, I was then reminded of Ghost in the Shell and the Tachikomas all chatting with each-other as they were essentially going through something similar. They were the same being at one point but branched into individuals. Even though I'm making Qualia sound derivative, I'm doubting it actually is. I really wish more stories could explore the depths of science and physics the way Qualia does.

So I guess I have two questions.
1: Who is actually happy with the end? I understand there are people out there who think it's the best way to end the series, as finalizing it couldn't be any more climactic or interesting than that particular point. However, I'm the kind of person who wants closure. I want to see what the solution to the problem ends up being and I feel like it could have made for some interesting writing. There was even a point where I thought that the protagonist (sorry, I have real troubles remembering names if that wasn't already obvious) would somehow manage to travel through time and ends up being the woman who cuts her own arm off, purely because she had gone insane to the point where she felt like she was in a Hell thanks to her powers but forgot exactly where she was in the past, the bloodlust from killing Alice eventually pouring over her directive of removing her own arm and ending up in the strange state she gets into. Er... okay sorry for that fanfic sideline. In any case, I still enjoyed the ending, I just have a wish of closure is all.

2: Is any of the science cited in this story made up? From what I do know about quantum physics, most of what was described was accurate. However, I never actually heard of the way light works and the multiple universe theory of light and its ability to find its destination instantly. I assume that part is also true? This writer's (and translator's) ability to accurately depict such science in layman's terms is rather impressive and I feel kinda bad that I never studied this kind of thing before. I kinda want to share this manga with friends purely for the science side. Too bad the first 3 or so chapters could turn a layman off pretty easily.

Whew. So yeah. Good fuckin stuff. If there's anything similar out there, please, direct me!

Edit: Wait, I just went back in this thread and read a couple reactions to Chapter 13. Is there actually more on the way? From what I could figure out, the series is over, ending in August, and there won't be any more. Am I wrong?
Edit 2: OK got to page 1 and saw Capn Invictus say this is only halfway done. Glad to see that but really wondering when the next one will come out! :(
Edit 3: VVVV Got it! Waiting patiently then. I can't imagine this series is easy to translate considering the things it talks about. Exactly how much left is there?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 20, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DaveKap posted:

So I finished Qualia the Purple. Holy poo poo. I should not have read that before bed because I was probably up for a solid hour thinking about it and ended up having a freaky parallel universe jumping dream related to it.

To anyone who hasn't, please, go read it. To anyone who has, here are my thoughts.
Firstly, I loved how it had such a huge amount of intelligence thrown into it. The middle of the story reminded me of Haruhi a bit, with the different strange things that would occur. Once I got into the meat and climax, the parallel versions of the character trying to act like light, I saw a huge resemblance to (don't hurt me) Homestuck. There's a major parallel universe theme that occurs in Homestuck and it sorta gets to a point where characters fight to be the "alpha universe" with all other universes essentially being doomed, very similar to the doomed universes in Qualia. However, I think Qualia does it better than Homestuck in that Qualia's scientific explanation of what's happening is way more immersive and focused. When we got to a point where we're seeing multiples of the character talking to herself in her head-space, I was then reminded of Ghost in the Shell and the Tachikomas all chatting with each-other as they were essentially going through something similar. They were the same being at one point but branched into individuals. Even though I'm making Qualia sound derivative, I'm doubting it actually is. I really wish more stories could explore the depths of science and physics the way Qualia does.

So I guess I have two questions.
1: Who is actually happy with the end? I understand there are people out there who think it's the best way to end the series, as finalizing it couldn't be any more climactic or interesting than that particular point. However, I'm the kind of person who wants closure. I want to see what the solution to the problem ends up being and I feel like it could have made for some interesting writing. There was even a point where I thought that the protagonist (sorry, I have real troubles remembering names if that wasn't already obvious) would somehow manage to travel through time and ends up being the woman who cuts her own arm off, purely because she had gone insane to the point where she felt like she was in a Hell thanks to her powers but forgot exactly where she was in the past, the bloodlust from killing Alice eventually pouring over her directive of removing her own arm and ending up in the strange state she gets into. Er... okay sorry for that fanfic sideline. In any case, I still enjoyed the ending, I just have a wish of closure is all.

2: Is any of the science cited in this story made up? From what I do know about quantum physics, most of what was described was accurate. However, I never actually heard of the way light works and the multiple universe theory of light and its ability to find its destination instantly. I assume that part is also true? This writer's (and translator's) ability to accurately depict such science in layman's terms is rather impressive and I feel kinda bad that I never studied this kind of thing before. I kinda want to share this manga with friends purely for the science side. Too bad the first 3 or so chapters could turn a layman off pretty easily.

Whew. So yeah. Good fuckin stuff. If there's anything similar out there, please, direct me!

Edit: Wait, I just went back in this thread and read a couple reactions to Chapter 13. Is there actually more on the way? From what I could figure out, the series is over, ending in August, and there won't be any more. Am I wrong?

It finished publishing in Japan, but that doesn't mean the scanlations are up to date since the people who do them think living their own lives is more important or some poo poo like that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay one more question then. If this is based on a novel, I don't suppose the novel has been translated?

Edit: To answer my own question, there are 18 chapters total with an "extra" on the end of volume 3 that I'm too afraid to look at the raw of just in case there are spoilers. So we have 5 chapters left that need translation.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 20, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I do feel that a certain point in Qualia feels like a great ending on its own in a Twilight Zone sort of way. Things aren't resolved, but the emotional arc of the main charcter feels complete. It isn't about the original goal anymore, it's about how crazy her obsession and abilities have become. I felt satisfied reaching that point, and having more coming out feels like a bonus more than anything.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cafel posted:

I forgot to give Teppu it's props. Great to get away from the type of protagonists you usually get in sports and fighting series. Though it's not just the scanlations that are sporadic, the series is already on a once every two months schedule that slow translating exacerbates.

Yeah, I just read thru Teppu and it's really fun. It's a different take on the sports-manga style and gently caress if Natsuo isn't an amazing and brilliant rear end in a top hat. Also, the Portuguese lines in the manga are spot-on and I'm actually impressed by that. Wonder if I should give props to the scanlator or the mangaka. Kinda sucks that it stopped at a massive cliffhanger for now, tho.

Out of the other things on the thread, Qualia the Purple is fantastic and a total mindfuck. Assassination Classroom is pretty fun if you're okay with high-school slice-of-life shenanigans turned slightly on their head. I Am a Hero is a great read if you're okay with its basic concept - personally, I think it does it better than most other media that have tried to focus on it, especially when it comes to character work. Suicide Island is actually something that I didn't think would interest me that much, but it's pretty well-paced and straight out depressing at times. One-Punch Man is goddamn One-Punch Man. And you've been heaping enough praise on Nausicaa that I don't need to say anything else about it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DaveKap posted:

I find it difficult to compare the film and manga version of Nausicaä, as they diverge quite heavily after the opening. They have the same characters and general themes but approach them from a different angle. That being said, both are utterly fantastic and if you liked one there's really no reason not to check out the other.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Fantagraphics has a preorder up for the new Inio Asano book if you are interested in books that probably rule.

Check it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man I've been looking forward to that release for a while now, thanks for the heads up!

In other news, after offering it as a suggestion I decided it was time to re-read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and I really can't overstate just how much I love it. It's funny, poignant, silly, sad, thoughtful and beautiful all at once.

Here's a random assortment of pages that I hope might catch someone's interest.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Just binged "I am a hero" this weekend up to chapter 143. It seems good, but not 'best thing since sliced bread'. I do like how there are some zombie/people who have super powers vs the regular zombies (well, more like have mostly-functioning brains) who only have super strength but no brains to take care of themselves.

edit: reading the 'titans' one and GOD drat IT'S AWESOME! Starts out a bit slow but on chapter 32 and holy shitballs it's loving great! GODDAMN! It has a couple of twists that just make it fantastic, and the general story is pretty great.

redreader fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 27, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

redreader posted:

edit: reading the 'titans' one and GOD drat IT'S AWESOME! Starts out a bit slow but on chapter 32 and holy shitballs it's loving great! GODDAMN! It has a couple of twists that just make it fantastic, and the general story is pretty great.
You know... there's a not-so-bad anime based off of almost exactly what you've read so far. ;) (It's actually really amazing)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

redreader posted:

Join us at the manga thread when you're done! The anime can be streamed from Crunchyroll, and runs roughly up until chapter 33. It has some new content and anime-only scenes, and most of the changes are good. Crunchyroll is also simultaneously publishing freshly realeased manga issues over at http://www.crunchyroll.ca/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Crunchyroll has licensed both Soredemo and Spirit Circle! I am beyond happy about this, hopefully some more of my recommendations will make it through, it'd be funny if Qualia the Purple got licensed by them and they translated it before the scanlator got to it. Though I'm not sure if that would be something they'd go for, not sure if they'll pick up any already-completed or short series.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright, seems like no-one has mentioned this one -

Uzumaki (the spiral)

It was hard to find decent scenes from the manga without giving too much away, but these will do. The series gets increasingly graphic and bizarre as it progresses. Uzumaki is a praticularly unique horror series, centred around the theme of 'The Spiral', as the name implies. It is difficult to describe too much about the series without giving too much away, but it is a very simple premise. The story centers around the various inhabitants of the town of Kurozo-cho, and how they succumb to a creeping, malevolent and apathetic influence. What I enjoyed about the series is the enigmatic, nameless nature of the horror that inexorably permeates further and further into their lives. The story is very reminiscent of Lovecraft in that regard, the incursion into our reality of something far beyond our capacity to understand and entirely apathetic to our existence. The atmosphere throughout the increasingly bizarre and extreme permutations is excellently creepy, though towards the end it really does get pretty heavily into 'what the gently caress' territory.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 30, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We've talked a bunch about Junji ito in the horror comics thread, but yeah, he's probably my current favourite manga author.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

After you read Uzumaki, you should definitely check out Junji Ito's Cat Diary. Another terrifying work of mind-bending horror, this time autobiographical!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Captain Invictus posted:

Crunchyroll has licensed both Soredemo and Spirit Circle! I am beyond happy about this, hopefully some more of my recommendations will make it through, it'd be funny if Qualia the Purple got licensed by them and they translated it before the scanlator got to it. Though I'm not sure if that would be something they'd go for, not sure if they'll pick up any already-completed or short series.

When I saw they were picking up Soredemo I consider actually trying out a subscription to their service, but they only have Chapter 108 up and no indication of whether or not they plan on translating any of the earlier chapters. In addition the posted blurb about the series is in the most fractured English I've ever seen. This is my first interaction with Crunchyroll, are they usually this shoddy? If I try it out am I flinging my money into a pit?

Begemot posted:

After you read Uzumaki, you should definitely check out Junji Ito's Cat Diary. Another terrifying work of mind-bending horror, this time autobiographical!

Junji Ito's Cat Diary is great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crunchyroll has been pretty fantastic for anime, they're just starting to do manga too. So far it's been mediocre, but I hope it continues to improve.

Right now they're looking to release simultaneously with Japan, so they're starting with the most recent jp chapters, then working on the back catalogue.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Begemot posted:

This sure is something different. The mishmash of his art/narrative style and the subject matter is fantastic.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
The Town Where Only I Am Missing updated this morning, for anyone who was reading that.

Third time's the charm, maybe? Kenya's a smart kid.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

cafel posted:

When I saw they were picking up Soredemo I consider actually trying out a subscription to their service, but they only have Chapter 108 up and no indication of whether or not they plan on translating any of the earlier chapters. In addition the posted blurb about the series is in the most fractured English I've ever seen. This is my first interaction with Crunchyroll, are they usually this shoddy? If I try it out am I flinging my money into a pit?
Disclaimer: I haven't worked for Crunchyroll in over a year.

No, you aren't. The early days are going to be like this because publishers will have the power until the manga business starts minting money for them like the anime business does. Crunchyroll had to put up with all kinds of poo poo until the publishers all realized that Crunchyroll didn't cannibalize DVD sales like they expected, and refusing Crunchyroll was just giving up free money. I think the same thing will probably happen to manga, where publishers realize how much money they're leaving on the table by not getting a share of the profits from their manga distribution overseas.

The plan is and has always been to license everything everywhere. Anything less is because those are the terms deemed acceptable by the licensor, or too much money was demanded for the ideal terms.There may also be scheduling concerns about translating new chapters over ones that have been scanslated already. Crunchyroll isn't just building this for potential readers of manga, it needs to be an alternative for the people who are pirating as well.

Emailing support about the broken English might help, but translations have to be approved by the publishers - often, persistently bad english that doesn't get fixed is that way because it's contractually required to be that way.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just got through the twelfth volume of I Am A Hero. Gotta say I've become less interested as the series has gone on. The thing that drew me in in the early volumes was how much of a coward Hideo is. He constantly finds excuses not to draw his gun. He puts his life at risk instead of having conversations with strangers. He's on the phone with a drinking buddy twenty minutes after two people tried to eat him and he doesn't even bother mentioning it. He tries to mediate between two people who are turning in the cab with him instead of causing a disturbance by trying to get out.

And everyone else is so blase about it. The old man on the subway pins a zombie down and no one even gets up from their seat. The first time Hideo DOES fire the gun, people look at him as if he's just committed some minor faux pas.

But as it's gone on it's turned from a story about people trying to reconcile an apocalypse with their previous beliefs, habits and social pressures into a story about shooting monsters in the face. A good one, but still.

I'll probably keep up with it, but I'm pretty bummed. Lot of wasted potential.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
So Viz just released the first (digital) collected volume of One-Punch Man. I know I'm far behind for waiting this long to finally start reading, but from what I've read it really does live up to its hype. There's just a great palpable, hard-hitting quality to the fight scenes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're not reading Koe no Kotachi yet, I heartily recommend you do. It's real difficult to read for certain reasons that become apparent if you've ever been the target of bullying, but it's an excellent series. The latest chapter has one of the most surprising gut-punches I've read, though, I wasn't expecting that for some reason and it really got to me :smith:.

Also I'll be doing another sampler sometime soon, likely focusing on romance/comedy this time around.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're not reading Koe no Kotachi yet, I heartily recommend you do. It's real difficult to read for certain reasons that become apparent if you've ever been the target of bullying, but it's an excellent series. The latest chapter has one of the most surprising gut-punches I've read, though, I wasn't expecting that for some reason and it really got to me :smith:.

Also I'll be doing another sampler sometime soon, likely focusing on romance/comedy this time around.

Every time I think that series has hit a point in an emotional roller coaster ride that it can't top it. It then proceeds to prove me wrong. I was kinda turned off when I heard the premise, but the way it plays out is definitely worth reading.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Koe no Kotachi has been licensed by Crunchyroll as A Silent Voice. If you don't have a subscription to them yet, I heartily suggest it, both to encourage and support more series acquisitions and because their catalog is becoming fairly impressive at this point. They've picked up a bunch of series from this thread's suggestions as well, so if you enjoyed a lot of the series in this thread, definitely grab a CR sub!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm finding Qualia the Purple interesting. I've read a fair amount of the genre, having lived in Japan for eight years, but its interesting to see how it makes the translation, both in language and in culture, as it comes here.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
So on the Capn' recommendation I read Qualia the Purple, and I have to say that it is a blast. I think my reaction to the story in our steam convo conveys way more than a write up would.

quote:

12:40 PM - CCSA: this actually interacts pretty well with post modern narrative theory
12:42 PM - CCSA: the idea that in the literature of exhaustion, so called by barth, the search for an objective truth breaks down, even an objective truth is undefinable. people begin becoming unsure of previously established facts, unsure of everything that seemed certain
12:42 PM - CCSA: qualia, the "knowing" of things, relates to that
12:48 PM - CCSA: we see this in retracings of history through historiographic literature, such as maus and inglorious basterds. Even historical facts become misremembered, available to interpretation, stylistic nuance, &c. In such a world, where even science doesn't satisfy, nothing is really known to be real. I can't reasonably establish that even you, Invictus, are real, because I am limited by my own perceptions. Even if my perceptions confirmed your existence through touch, sight, smell, &c, these perceptions can be fooled, simulated. And even scientific apparatus is limited by my perceiving it. And under quantum theory, even matter itself and its state is affected by my perceptions. In this case, even objective facts are viewed through my subjective lens and are therefore open to doubt. This manga literally retraces this through the qualia discussions, about how perception is seen to guide reality.
12:50 PM - CCSA: in this case perception literally retraces reality into its own form. Usually, our perceptions are not this sufficiently strong, but it's interesting to think about how the world would work if that were true.
12:50 PM - CCSA: This is actually a pretty pro click, in summation
12:52 PM - CCSA: oh, and also i missed my bus lol

Maybe this is my contemporary american course talking, but this seems pretty similiar to what Delillo was writing about in White Noise, &c. You all owe it to yourselves to check it out.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Something I noticed in Qualia is that once she starts talking on the phone, the reader perspective sometimes swaps to the other person.

But they don't make a big deal out of this visually, so I'm wondering whether it really happened or its an error in translation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:siren:It seems someone's uploading an entire new volume of I Am A Hero right now!:siren: At long last!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just got through volume four of Attack on Titan.

Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Now the long wait for the next volume begins.

Discussion: Not too much happened, which was a disappointment, except the knowledge that the zombie prime is gathering all the others to themselves and that the outbreak is running rampant across the world. Hiromi still seems to possess crazy strength, and I guess will become the close combat 'last line of defense' for the team. Can't really see where it'd go from here.