Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SOUBOUTEI. MUST. BE. DESTROYED.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Since I don't know what thread to put these in, I'm going to drop two recommendations here:

1) The Mermaid Princess's Guilty Meal

A dark comedy about Era (the titular Mermaid Princess) who pays her respects to her fallen fish friends...by eating them (and liking it a bit too much). There are plenty of gags and references, and somewhere in there are tiny bits of plot of that might one day go somewhere.

2) Love after World Domination

What happens when the leader of the local sentai squad falls in love with one of the evil generals? Ok, now imagine that they're both completely inexperienced when it comes to things like dating, and you have Love after World Domination.

They're both by the same author and artist, so odds are if you enjoy one you'll enjoy them both.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I read a bit of the Princess's Guilty Meal but it was a bit too dark for me. Seemed good if you were okay with it though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
IIRC Guilty Meal is almost completely translated.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsieurChoc posted:

SOUBOUTEI. MUST. BE. DESTROYED.

Souboutei MUST be DESTROYED.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
started reading this Manwha called The Youngest Princess.

it's about an archmage of a kingdom who is suddenly whisked away by a magic circle. when she wakes up, she is...a 6-month-old baby. At least the first few chapters follow her escapades as she wrangles her dad(the king) and others using nothing but her charms as an unintelligible baby, and other issues that may happen to a particularly important royal child.

the long scrolling format for manwha often puts me off of most series, but this is so charming that I'll definitely stick with it unless it does something particularly untoward later on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ConanThe3rd posted:

IIRC Guilty Meal is almost completely translated.

We're part-way through volume 6 of 7 as from what I can see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so Attack on Titan is approaching its finale, with probably a volume or less to go before the ending. It's one of my favorite series of all time, and with the release of the season 4(final) trailer WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS AT MINIMUM CAUGHT UP TO THE ANIME IF NOT MANGA, I feel now more than ever is the best time to get in if you've not seen it yet.

some have made claims AoT is pro-fascist propaganda, but it's anything but. Like, the entire subplot of the finale arc is about children raised under a genocidal fascist regime being thrown into a war, learning that it's nothing like what they were taught and breaking free of their indoctrination as expendable soldiers for their authoritarian state

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

so Attack on Titan is approaching its finale, with probably a volume or less to go before the ending. It's one of my favorite series of all time, and with the release of the season 4(final) trailer WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS AT MINIMUM CAUGHT UP TO THE ANIME IF NOT MANGA, I feel now more than ever is the best time to get in if you've not seen it yet.

some have made claims AoT is pro-fascist propaganda, but it's anything but. Like, the entire subplot of the finale arc is about children raised under a genocidal fascist regime being thrown into a war, learning that it's nothing like what they were taught and breaking free of their indoctrination as expendable soldiers for their authoritarian state

Anime is another one of those fanbases where any portrayal of authoritarian repression as a Bad Thing is still lionized and adored by a certain subset of fans. The problem with any critical representation or satire of a bad thing is people will love and admire the bad thing. Chappelle's Show is a notorious example of this

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

pentyne posted:

Anime is another one of those fanbases where any portrayal of authoritarian repression as a Bad Thing is still lionized and adored by a certain subset of fans. The problem with any critical representation or satire of a bad thing is people will love and admire the bad thing. Chappelle's Show is a notorious example of this
ah so this old thing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

ah so this old thing

Basically the tired old line of how cool and stylish the fascists look.

Note that the ur-example of German military fashion were all hilariously impractical and expensive uniforms that were designed to look that way because the Nazi's expected the war to be quick battles then head off to parade marches so the hoi polloi could fawn over them. Worked out pretty well in the long run since people still believe they were some glorious achievement but everything about German uniforms, tank design, engineering etc. from the 30s and 40s was basically a state sponsored cosplay event for pretty pretty dress up style total war.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 6, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

The most important question is how much will it feature Mikasa's abs. :colbert:

Although seriously it's a little bizarre some of the people I've seen dump on the show for being either pro-fascist or like I mentioned in the YT Personality thread in RGD how it 'urges Japanese youth to reignite the Japanese Empire' which is a take I've seen in places that should also know better.

It's the show that got me back into anime and manga when I was sort of burned out by all the cute girls doing cute things series, which if people like that's of course fine, but felt like that was the trend and was not for me.

pentyne posted:

Note that the ur-example of German military fashion were all hilariously impractical and expensive uniforms that were designed to look that way because the Nazi's expected the war to be quick battles then head off to parade marches so the hoi polloi could fawn over them. Worked out pretty well in the long run since people still believe they were some glorious achievement but everything about German uniforms, tank design, engineering etc. from the 30s and 40s was basically a state sponsored cosplay event for pretty pretty dress up style total war.

And that happens like all the time. All of the uber German stuff - the whole 'Germany had the best toys' line - were also over-engineered to the point of absurdity. The Tiger's engine was prone to catching fire. The Bismarck was sunk after one combat operation. It goes on. (I think their planes were fine maybe but thankfully Goering was an egotistical moron.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
semi-related to this thread, I made a thread for Netflix anime including a bunch of adaptations of manga recommended in here, if you'd prefer the animated version, which, for something like Attack on Titan, is generally better than the manga version.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I recently started reading some manga again. Finished Billy Bat, but everyone probably know about that by now. On the other hand, people might not know about...

Sunny
This is a pretty short, 6 volume series about a bunch of kids living in an orphanage. Each chapter tends to focus on one or two kids and whatever issues they're facing in their daily lives. It's pretty great and gave me a good look on how orphanages in Japan worked. Most of the kids aren't there because their parents died, but because of "difficult circumstances" at home. Might even be somewhat realistic, since it's based on the authors own experiences.

Oh yeah, the author is Matsumoto Taiyo, so the art is gorgeous.

Anyway, that's my manga recommendation. Hope this thread keeps chugging on.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been enjoying Way of the House Husband

There's only a couple of volumes out over here, but it's a fun comedy book about a former yakuza who has given up their life of crime in favor of domestic life. It's a lot of fish out of water gags about the main character misunderstanding everyday life because he's yakuza but it's a lot of fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah apparently it just won a major annual award, too. It's been on my list to read for ages but I gotta save those universally-loved series for when I really need'em, as silly as that might sound.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah apparently it just won a major annual award, too. It's been on my list to read for ages but I gotta save those universally-loved series for when I really need'em, as silly as that might sound.

Thankfully there's plenty of middling manga to fill the time with until that happens.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Househusband is screamingly funny and yes, just took an Eisner award. You'll get a little more out of it if you're familiar with the manga street punk / yakuza tropes, but if you post here you'll probably recognize enough. The wordplay, visual gags, and drummed-up dramatic tension is clear enough to carry it though, even if you don't catch all the little things.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Househusband is screamingly funny and yes, just took an Eisner award. You'll get a little more out of it if you're familiar with the manga street punk / yakuza tropes, but if you post here you'll probably recognize enough. The wordplay, visual gags, and drummed-up dramatic tension is clear enough to carry it though, even if you don't catch all the little things.

It's really a great mixture of genre/stereotype jokes and just straight-up funny gags that work without any cultural context. Some of the best slapstick comedy I've seen in a manga.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Sousou no Frieren

A party of four — the hero Himmel, the priest Heiter, the dwarf warrior Eisen, and the elf mage Frieren — set out on a ten year journey to defeat the Demon King. Now they're done, and they're going back home to go their seperate ways. But before they part, they watch a meteor shower, and promise that they'll meet again to watch the next one in fifty years.

When they meet again, Frieren is the only one who hasn't changed. She is over 900 years old. The 10 year journey that was so important to the others was a mere percent of her life. This is a story about her realizing that she let her friends and comrades age and slip away while she spent her time wandering alone. It is about her journey as she tries to collect what memories and mementos they've left behind. It's about her attempts to build new friendships and gain new companions. It's different, it's well-drawn, it's slow, it's subtle, and I promise that there is no "she looks 10 but she's actually 900 so it's ok" bullshit.

It's a good series!

https://mangadex.org/title/48045/sousou-no-frieren

Karia fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh dang I thought I recommended that, yeah its phenomenal, seriously strong dungeon meshi vibes with its humor and worldbuilding. It's melancholic at times but always bolsters it with genuinely strong funny moments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've just read the first 9 chapters of that and ohhh nooo, "x years since Himmel passed" goes up every few chapters and Fern keeps getting older and that means eventually... :ohdear:.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bookmarked that serie. Nice premise.:)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
One of the best parts of that manga is (spoilers for chapter 5): Frieren unseals a demon she'd sealed eighty years before, because at the time no one was powerful enough to kill him outright. Said demon was the inventor and master of "killing magic" which had brought many a hero's career to a swift end, and he tries to use it on Frieren and Fern. Fern goes "What the hell? That was just regular attack magic," and Frieren replies "Correct, over the past eighty years humans have studied it and mastered it and developed countermeasures, in only eighty years. Humans are scary."

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I was reading that one and somehow connected having a long lifespan with short lived companions to my pet and got Real Sad for an hour or two. It was a great way to sympathize with the character. It's a really good take on the long lifespan'd races that many fantasy settings present and kinda made it click how you can be 50 years old and still have a child mentality or whatever maturity in DND states elves are like

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Glad you all like it! I'm doing some spring cleaning on my bookmarks, figured I'd throw some of the good ones in here.

I definitely agree that "melancholic" is a good word to apply, so here's something at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Uchi no musuko wa tabun gay
Or, My Son is Probably Gay

Hiroki's mom is pretty sure that her son is gay.

He's not exactly subtle about it. She doesn't want to embarrass him by asking him directly, but she'll do her best to support him however she can!

That's... about it. It's not very deep. But if you're looking for a quick, atypical, cute pick-me-up story, this is a good'un.

https://mangadex.org/title/41114/my-son-is-probably-gay

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Karia posted:

Sousou no Frieren

A party of four — the hero Himmel, the priest Heiter, the dwarf warrior Eisen, and the elf mage Frieren — set out on a ten year journey to defeat the Demon King. Now they're done, and they're going back home to go their seperate ways. But before they part, they watch a meteor shower, and promise that they'll meet again to watch the next one in fifty years.

When they meet again, Frieren is the only one who hasn't changed. She is over 900 years old. The 10 year journey that was so important to the others was a mere percent of her life. This is a story about her realizing that she let her friends and comrades age and slip away while she spent her time wandering alone. It is about her journey as she tries to collect what memories and mementos they've left behind. It's about her attempts to build new friendships and gain new companions. It's different, it's well-drawn, it's slow, it's subtle, and I promise that there is no "she looks 10 but she's actually 900 so it's ok" bullshit.

It's a good series!

https://mangadex.org/title/48045/sousou-no-frieren

This manga is amazing! Thank you for the recommendation.

It’s such a deeply wistful manga, but its sweetness makes it fun to read. I know some of you are nervous about the inevitable deaths of the human characters, but considering the pace and themes of the story, I think the manga encourages you to enjoy the moment and make the most out of a good time or memory.

So don’t sweat it, try to see the merits of the story for the moment, and make the most of the moments you are left not knowing when or how it ends.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pigasus posted:

This manga is amazing! Thank you for the recommendation.

It’s such a deeply wistful manga, but its sweetness makes it fun to read. I know some of you are nervous about the inevitable deaths of the human characters, but considering the pace and themes of the story, I think the manga encourages you to enjoy the moment and make the most out of a good time or memory.

So don’t sweat it, try to see the merits of the story for the moment, and make the most of the moments you are left not knowing when or how it ends.

Everyone dies in the end.

except the weirdo lazy elf girl who will never die.
She would grow moss if she didnt have other people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everyone dies in the end.

except the weirdo lazy elf girl who will never die.
She would grow moss if she didnt have other people.

continuing the trend of "elves are old", there's a promising new series about a shrine maiden who takes care of her shrine's "goddess", who is just an elf that got reverse-isekai'd into our world hundreds of years ago and basically turned into a massive weeb. it's cute, and hints at the sort of melancholic immortality theme that frieran does.

https://mangadex.org/title/50550/edomae-elf

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Karia posted:

Glad you all like it! I'm doing some spring cleaning on my bookmarks, figured I'd throw some of the good ones in here.

I definitely agree that "melancholic" is a good word to apply, so here's something at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Uchi no musuko wa tabun gay
Or, My Son is Probably Gay

Hiroki's mom is pretty sure that her son is gay.

He's not exactly subtle about it. She doesn't want to embarrass him by asking him directly, but she'll do her best to support him however she can!

That's... about it. It's not very deep. But if you're looking for a quick, atypical, cute pick-me-up story, this is a good'un.

https://mangadex.org/title/41114/my-son-is-probably-gay

This is adorable - thanks for linking it!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Started reading Souboutei Must Be Destroyed, and I'm struggling with it. Concept is great, and whenever it goes into full horror mode the art is great too, but Takoha is just terrible and Kurenai's not much better. I'm finding myself clicking through pages while only skimming them whenever they're the focus. I'm on Vol 1 Ch 6 - should I continue, or is this just not for me?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

continuing the trend of "elves are old", there's a promising new series about a shrine maiden who takes care of her shrine's "goddess", who is just an elf that got reverse-isekai'd into our world hundreds of years ago and basically turned into a massive weeb. it's cute, and hints at the sort of melancholic immortality theme that frieran does.

https://mangadex.org/title/50550/edomae-elf

I like that there's no effort to masquerade or mystify her with regard to the locals, they all fundamentally know she's "just" an immortal elf sitting in their shrine who comes round to buy videogames and snacks every so often.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm curious, what were her hobbies prior to video games?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kestral posted:

Started reading Souboutei Must Be Destroyed, and I'm struggling with it. Concept is great, and whenever it goes into full horror mode the art is great too, but Takoha is just terrible and Kurenai's not much better. I'm finding myself clicking through pages while only skimming them whenever they're the focus. I'm on Vol 1 Ch 6 - should I continue, or is this just not for me?

If you're only on chapter 6, you have made no progress whatsoever on the plot. This is not a manga that is going to do a slow burn; keep going, and things will happen. A lot of things will happen. A surprisingly high number of things will happen.

There is pretty much nothing I can say here that isn't spoilers, but give it a bit more time. You will know, inside your heart, that you must continue reading, because

SOUBOUTEI MUST BE DESTROYED

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jackard posted:

I'm curious, what were her hobbies prior to video games?

Hanafuda

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kurui Reiten posted:

If you're only on chapter 6, you have made no progress whatsoever on the plot. This is not a manga that is going to do a slow burn; keep going, and things will happen. A lot of things will happen. A surprisingly high number of things will happen.

There is pretty much nothing I can say here that isn't spoilers, but give it a bit more time. You will know, inside your heart, that you must continue reading, because

SOUBOUTEI MUST BE DESTROYED

Yeah, I'd say you should keep going. That series starts out very... scattered, but as things progress and the real plot starts happening, it gets really compelling. It's a really unique series, I'll say that much, I've never read anything quite like it. I also don't want to spoil where it goes, because that's half the fun, but it really Goes Places. Just keep reading, it's okay to skim certain parts, it does have a ridiculous amount of dialog at times.

Souboutei MUST be destroyed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's another fantastic horror-comedy I've been reading, it does a phenomenal job of mingling genuinely funny bits with Mieruko-chan-esque horrifiying spirit imagery and scenes. I'm genuinely never sure if a situation is going to turn out well for everyone involved or not, the author's done a great job of keeping things tense while also having a fairly lighthearted air to it all most of the time. But man, the latests chapters with the Spirit House have been chilling. The artwork's really strong, too. The characters have this intensity to their expressions that I can't quite describe.

https://mangadex.org/title/38672/furyou-taimashi-reina

It captures the intensity of the moment really well when it counts:

Reina is a really entertaining delinquint-style character who never feels the need to explain herself, so when she does something like this, even if she's in the middle of dealing with a malicious spirit, it makes her look like a violent crazy person to those around her who aren't aware of the supernatural

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Here's a few series from a bunch of different genres:

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie
https://mangadex.org/title/33537/shuumatsu-no-valkyrie

I think the best way to describe this is as a hybrid between Kengan Ashura and American Gods. The gods are getting bored of humanity, and decide that it's time to just end the whole experiment and move on. But before they blow up the world, one of the Valkyries stands up and calls them chicken for not giving humanity a fighting chance. The solution? Best of 13 deathmatches between the gods and all of humanity's greatest heros.

Ever wondered what would happen if the biblical Adam was a boxer who tried to punch out Zeus? Do you stay up late at night trying to figure out whether Jack the Ripper could kill Heracles? This is your manga. It's over the top, it's stupid, it's incredibly dumb, and it's a drat good time. Oh, and Brunhild is pretty great sometimes.

Kuroha to Nijisuke
https://mangadex.org/title/20431/kuroha-nijisuke
https://mangadex.org/title/31067/kuroha-to-nijisuke-kuroki-majo-no-divertimento

I've been trying to come up with a quick summary of this series, and failing miserably. So I'm not going to try. Read the first link above, it's only four chapters and serves to set up the rest of the story. You'll know if you want to continue to the main series. WARNING: it can be pretty dark, and there's suicide in the first chapter.

There are two reasons it's hard to sum up this series quickly. First, the plot is kinda twisty (but not extremely twisty.) It goes beyond the initial setup you'll see in the first chapter, and I don't want to give spoilers. But that major reason is that I don't want to sell it short. Any two-sentence explanation is going to make it sound like something it's not. I mentioned this series is dark, and it absolutely is, but it manages to walk a pretty fine line with it. On one hand, it could wallow in all the bad stuff that happens and just be a miserable, depressing series. On the other hand, it could overuse that horrorific stuff, and end up losing the impact when something bad happens. Instead, it's somewhere in the middle. Bad things happen, but they never swamp the story completely. And really, that's fundamentally what this story seems to be about : sometimes life's gonna come at you fast and there's nothing you can do to stop it. But if you keep a positive attitude and just keep trying to do whatever little bit you can, sometimes it'll turn out for the better.

But I'm probably reading too much into this. It really isn't that deep, and it's not a masterpiece or anything. But this is a solid series for anyone who likes something a bit dark with a hint of romance and action.

Both of those are kind of intense, so let's end with something much more light-hearted.
Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru
https://mangadex.org/title/34944/soredemo-ayumu-wa-yosetekuru

By the same author as Takagi-san, this is a fun and harmless rom-com. Tanaka Ayumu is a first year in highschool, and he's got a crush on the president (and only other member) of the shogi club. But he's decided that he won't confess to her until he can beat her at shogi. She's really good at shogi. He's... not. It's gonna take a while, and in the meantime, we get to enjoy their stupid hijinks and flirting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's another fantastic horror-comedy I've been reading, it does a phenomenal job of mingling genuinely funny bits with Mieruko-chan-esque horrifiying spirit imagery and scenes. I'm genuinely never sure if a situation is going to turn out well for everyone involved or not

https://mangadex.org/title/38672/furyou-taimashi-reina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was literally considering using that scene as an example lol

Hell of a cliffhanger