Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Something I noticed in Qualia is that once she starts talking on the phone, the reader perspective sometimes swaps to the other person.

But they don't make a big deal out of this visually, so I'm wondering whether it really happened or its an error in translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Glad they are back on track, it's a neat series.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There's a baby impaled on a spike in like the first issue. I didn't come up with that as a litmus test, but I think it's a pretty good one to figure out if you want to read Berserk.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I feel like reading Berserk made me realize the source of some of the more hosed up perverts on the internet. Also, parts of it are really really good.

Something Awful Ads posted:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

In other news, I was recently pointed to a new series by a friend, who simply told me "Don't judge this book by its cover." Unbalance School Life seems like it should be really, really bad.
Still going through this thread for stuff to read, btw this one has a really poo poo ending.

Did Qualia the Purple ever get finished?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It's not always "nerd into game" though. Just a lot of them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Galvanik posted:

Is isekai a more general term? I know it means 'other world', I just thought those worlds had to include video game elements.
It's just being sent to another world. Been around for ages, and only recently overwhelmed with the game stuff.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Escaflowne isn't only because the series was made years before the term became a cliche, same with El Hazard. Isekai is not limited to game rules, as exemplified by that recent restaurant isekai.
Both of these series are isekai though

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Your posts sound like uninteresting griping about recommendations. So don't worry friend, we're all spergs here!

:same:
vvvvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 10, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Samuringa posted:

RE:ZERO
... Grimgar
Blegh.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bokura no Kiseki

Here's a reversal of the standard setup - a bunch of Japanese students start having visions of a fantasy castle under siege, which suddenly explodes thanks to magic nukes? a pillar of light, wiping out both the defenders and invaders.

Well it turns out that death by magic guarantees reincarnation! These teens are awakening to memories, loyalties, and abilities from a past life, aren't really sure what caused the whole thing or who is on what side.

https://mangadex.org/manga/151
https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-34337

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=34396

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 18, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Who is the blue one?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

MAGICIAN'S RED

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter ... dives headfirst almost immediately into economics, societal analysis, and nobility court politicking.
Feels solid enough, there's some character development and the protagonist doesn't breeze through everything,

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I've decided that the best harem anime is Oh My Goddess, which doesn't really focus much on romance either, and it's mainly about cars.
That's a harem? I've only read the books but I though there was just the one romantic relationship

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Technically it's before the concept of a Harem Anime really got developed, but it still followed the format of a bunch of hot girls collecting around one boy for improbable reasons. I think some of them come onto the male lead a few times as well.
The sisters weren't following him around, when they're not freeloading they're either spending time with the female lead or looking after her.

As far as I read, there's only Belldandy and his ex. You can't call it a harem anime just because Urd flirts with everyone

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 23, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

Anime is another one of those fanbases where any portrayal of authoritarian repression as a Bad Thing is still lionized and adored by a certain subset of fans. The problem with any critical representation or satire of a bad thing is people will love and admire the bad thing. Chappelle's Show is a notorious example of this
ah so this old thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm curious, what were her hobbies prior to video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Any chance that the adaptation will fix the fuckup?