Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Since I don't know what thread to put these in, I'm going to drop two recommendations here:

1) The Mermaid Princess's Guilty Meal

A dark comedy about Era (the titular Mermaid Princess) who pays her respects to her fallen fish friends...by eating them (and liking it a bit too much). There are plenty of gags and references, and somewhere in there are tiny bits of plot of that might one day go somewhere.

2) Love after World Domination

What happens when the leader of the local sentai squad falls in love with one of the evil generals? Ok, now imagine that they're both completely inexperienced when it comes to things like dating, and you have Love after World Domination.

They're both by the same author and artist, so odds are if you enjoy one you'll enjoy them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ConanThe3rd posted:

IIRC Guilty Meal is almost completely translated.

We're part-way through volume 6 of 7 as from what I can see.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah apparently it just won a major annual award, too. It's been on my list to read for ages but I gotta save those universally-loved series for when I really need'em, as silly as that might sound.

Thankfully there's plenty of middling manga to fill the time with until that happens.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

Both of those are kind of intense, so let's end with something much more light-hearted.
Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru
https://mangadex.org/title/34944/soredemo-ayumu-wa-yosetekuru

By the same author as Takagi-san, this is a fun and harmless rom-com. Tanaka Ayumu is a first year in highschool, and he's got a crush on the president (and only other member) of the shogi club. But he's decided that he won't confess to her until he can beat her at shogi. She's really good at shogi. He's... not. It's gonna take a while, and in the meantime, we get to enjoy their stupid hijinks and flirting.

I burned out on Valkyrie 2/3 of the way through the current scanlations, but this one was real good. While the situations get a little repetitive, the chapters short and usually have at least one good gag. About 20ish chapters in the cast starts expanding, and that does a lot to keep things engaging.

Also despite being a manga about Shogi, it doesn't really focus too much on how to play the game (it's not one of those cooking mangas were half of each chapter is a recipe) so don't let that deter you if you're looking for a fun rom-com.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a manhwa I've recently been following, it's absolutely fantastic. It's called Beware the Villainess, and it's in the typical otome game isekai genre, but don't necessarily let that dissuade you.

I love this series, but I do want to offer one word of caution: it takes a good 20 chapters to get going. However once Melissa starts being proactive it gets awesome and doesn't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

I would say it's pretty good even until then, her just dunking on the crown prince is fun as hell.

It's not that it isn't good, but it's chapter 21 when she really takes the reigns and the series starts living up to the hype. Before that she's fun, yeah, but largely ineffectual since no one really takes her seriously.