Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Captain Invictus posted:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Seinen, drama, action, comedy, adventure, mystery, growing up

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is by Satoshi Mizukami, ADTRW darling and author of another series in this thread, Spirit Circle. It's his first major series and it shows, it's not perfect, but it's absolutely satisfying by the end of it and has one of the most excellent endings of any series I've read. It takes about 20-22 chapters to really hit its stride, but once it does, it never really stops. The characters that it introduces over time are excellent, and the protagonist starts out wholly a terribly person but grows over the course of the series. The art is pretty rough, as expected of an early series, but some of the monster designs are outstanding. The plot is absurd at first glance but at least makes sense by the end of it. Definitely a good read, it's funny, it's dramatic, and there's plenty of scenes you probably won't expect. It's a good, completed series.

Listen to the man, it's a fantastic series. It's been licensed by Seven Seas in the states, and the first omnibus ships in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

redreader posted:

edit: reading the 'titans' one and GOD drat IT'S AWESOME! Starts out a bit slow but on chapter 32 and holy shitballs it's loving great! GODDAMN! It has a couple of twists that just make it fantastic, and the general story is pretty great.
Join us at the manga thread when you're done! The anime can be streamed from Crunchyroll, and runs roughly up until chapter 33. It has some new content and anime-only scenes, and most of the changes are good. Crunchyroll is also simultaneously publishing freshly realeased manga issues over at http://www.crunchyroll.ca/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Immortal Hounds

Welcome to a world without death. A utopia without disease, addictions, or fear of injury. Any human being who receives a fatal wound resets to their default healthy state. Got a cold? Die and be healed. Hungover? Physician, headshot thyself.

But not everyone gets to share this utopia. A handful of people, called Vectors, suffer from Resurrection Deficiency Syndrome - they only die once. And RDS is infectious and spreading. To combat this, the Japanese government has scrambled a special police force to hunt and exterminate these plagued individuals. They're just too dangerous to be allowed to live. There's a conspiracy supporting the Vectors, and mysterious individuals known as Escape Artists help them infiltrate Japanese society, and cover their inevitably bloody exits when their covers are blown.

Pictured: a Tuesday.

Immortal Hounds is a unique blend of ultra-violent romance. Characters are cut apart, sliced to ribbons and blown into chunks - and then pop right back up with a wry grin. But at its heart, its a Romeo and Juliet story of the cold-eyed warrior who protects Vectors, and the driven detective who hunts them. Their murderous rivalry and complete incompatibility make for some drat fine drama.

I love the fantastical - and yet oddly familiar - worldbuilding, the gallows humour and the incredible action sequences in the comic. But for all its action, it has a core of human melodrama that tugs. One thing I enjoy is that there is no audience-avatar in this story; everyone simply accepts that this topsy-turvey world is the way it's always been. And holy poo poo, the art and the action are incredible.

Read it at Batoto!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I don't think Immortal Hounds has been licensed anywhere!

You might be thinking of Ajin, licensed by Viz, which has a bit of a similar premise. In Ajin, a bunch of immortal regenerating badasses appear in our world, and go around shooting a bunch of comically evil government dudes while being emotionless badasses. It's beautifully drawn, but every characters' motivation is a monotone "Get to the next action sequence."

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Instead of that rapefest manga, why not read about a girl who gets struck by lightning and gets turned into Ultramangirl?

Onideka - Action, Seinen, Supernatural

Kiryuin Hanasei is a popular girl in school, and one day she gets struck by lightning alongside her childhood friend. When she wakes up, she becomes a towering giant, her size matching how fast her heart is beating! At the same time, huge, weird monsters start rampaging through the city, and she's the only one who can stop them.

This series is fairly new I believe, only a handful of translated chapters, but it's pretty cute and a neat take on the kaiju genre. The reason I'm considering recommending it is because there's not a lick of fanservice to be seen. Her clothes grow with her so there's no ~oh no she's outgrown her clothes so she's a giant naked girl~ bullshit, any time there'd be a panty shot it's shadowed, which is sadly refreshing in manga/anime. And the action and destruction is pretty great, not to mention the sense of scale. She really towers over things and it's funny seeing a hundred-foot anime girl just casually jogging towards a city with a monster in it along the highway, leaving shattered pavement in her wake. The artwork is pretty great too, though the artist clearly has problems with drawing hands.

This is legit pretty charming. I'm on board to see where this train goes.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

To You, the Immortal. ( Fantasy )
By Ooima Yoshitoki ( A Silent Voice )

This is the story of an infant god.

Immortal and without shape, its maker places it upon a frozen shore. It mimics a stone. Eventually, it became moss. Then a wolf passes nearby, and it takes that shape instead. But it’s just a shape - the thing doesn’t think, it doesn’t eat, and it has no purpose. It just… wanders. A boy finds it, and brings it home as a pet. The wolf-thing is his only company in a frozen wasteland.

The creature wanders, and in time accidentally saves a young girl named March, who adopts this non-person as her wayward child. It’s drawn into a world of politics and pain it's incapable of understanding. The human cast is fascinating and charming - March, the intended sacrifice, is silly and stoic, and has a huge heart full of innocent naivety. Her adopted older sister, who struggles with the value of tradition versus the value of the little girl no one else will protect. The first boy, lost on the tundra stubbornly refusing to give up hope. The author is dang good at twisting those heartstrings.

The author does a good job of making the creature fundamentally alien and unsettling. Even when it takes on human shape, there’s simply nothing happening behind the eyes. The world has an air of quiet tragedy, of something broken that can't be fixed.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Land of the Lustrous / Kingdom of Gems / Houseki no Kuni
In an empty and beautiful world, 221 human-shaped gems live an idyllic life laughing, bickering and bonding. Every summer, the sky tears in half and a heavenly armada spills out to murder them. The sky people wears the corpses of gems as jewelry.

It’s Stephen Universe meets Madoka Magicka, but somehow with… more body horror than Attack on Titan?

The gems are intriguingly post-human - they get lonely, they study and feud, but they also don’t have genders or the concepts of reproduction or death. Like Aphrodite, they form from sea foam, and when smashed, can re-constitute themselves from shards. They still hope to recover their stolen family so they can re-assemble them and laugh together again.

The gems are fixed points, maintaining their personalities and quirks static for thousands of years, and only the youngest gem, Phos, seeks out real change. She can integrate metal into her structure, and has rippling liquid gold where her arms should be. Her need for personal growth is continually shown to have terrifying costs to her sense of self, and I often find myself wondering what the hell she's becoming. Her love of her sisters, and her unbearable guilt for those they lost, drives her against millennia of tradition.

The setting is built around the central mystery of what the sky people want, the true nature of the spiritual leader Sensei who governs the gems, and how they break out of their cycle. So far the reveals have been solid. The characters are fun and strange, and the artwork has a haunting ethereal quality to it. Very spare lines and sweeping blacks make the splash pages hella striking, even if the characters can be a bit tricky to tell apart at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Two things: My Monster Secret is finished, and the scanlations are nearly at the end as well. The finale is fantastic and it's one of my favorite romcoms ever. Managed to be consistently funny and creative throughout its run, though early on it was still getting its bearings.

Also:

This is now an anime. I like the style a lot more than the manga, probably because it's colorful rather than black and white, which I feel for something about gemstone-based characters should have some color to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140&hd=1

While it's the dreaded Anime CG, it looks a hell of a lot nicer animation-wise than most anime CG shows.
It is a faithful and gorgeous adaptation of the manga. I was also hesitant about the 3d animation, but they're pulling it off really well. It spent 2 years in preproduction for its 13 episodes, and it's clearly a labour of real passion.

https://www.tumblr.com/video/patchoulism/166222496842/1000/