Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I'm assuming 1-11 is the 'first volume' for "I Am a Hero"?

Alright, I'll make a prediction: He's going to end up killing someone in the first volume. Knowing nothing about the comic and all that.

And now to actually read it.

Some guesses that are probably going to be hilariously bad in hindsight. Gonna split them by the chapter I've read by the point I'm making the guess.

Chapter 1:
The other guy is either a ghost or a paranoid delusion thing. Something like that. Maybe an 'past self' kind of thing.
Something where he's not 'physical'. Since he seems to be just randomly disappearing.

The fire thing is kind of ominous.
I'm assuming that Suzuki is the 'main character'/guy with the gun. At least the character that is being focused on here. Unless that's some other guy introduced later.
So Suzuki is at least involved in the fire. If not outright caused it. I'm assuming he's afraid of the ghosts from that accident. Whether or not ghosts actually exist in this series.

Chapter 2:

Alright, so nothing really jumps out at me for this one.
Except for now I'm thinking that whatever he hears on the news comes to haunt him.

Chapter 3:

Still nothing comes to mind. Except for maybe that 'ghost guy' seems to have some semi-physical body?
Also 'dangerous to go outside at night'.

Chapter 6:

That... was a thing.

Chapter 10:
Last page. Is that the assistant that got killed?

Chapter 11:
...what? What? Did... she die of sickness? Is this some sort of outcome of the virus that was talked about? Also that text message is kind of ominous, now that I've seen whatever the hell that is.

Also SDF is containing what looks like some kind of zombie virus? What with the 'stay at home, lock your doors' thing.

And I guess I was wrong with my prediction. Only slightly. I mean, in my mind he was going to use the gun to kill someone. But it looks like it'll happen in chapter 12. And it's more of a re-kill thing. And here I was starting to think that him killing someone wasn't going to be the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

(Volume 1)Surprise! That entire first volume was largely setup and misdirection. It's actually a blow-by-blow of the initial days of a zombie apocalypse, and also is somewhat of a mystery series! But really good even though it's a tired premise.

I really wanna see some Qualia the Purple opinions. That was probably the most surprising series I've read in a long time, and that's only with 12 chapters. It's really just ridiculous in a Gurren Lagann-style absurdity ramp-up and unexpected things. Also managed to teach me a thing or two about quantum mechanics.
Now if only Chapter 12 would work. It seems page 6 isn't loading, among probably others.

I also came across "The Town Where Only I am Missing", rather recently. Didn't know that was the translated title though. Read all 15 chapters. I'm a bit terrible with names though. I guess in a way, that had the title's namesake come as more of a surprise. Though I'm kind of wondering if the setting has all 'imposters' able to have some sort of 'redo' thing. Or at least some sort of connection between Pizza delivery girl and the first kidnapping victim.

Also the dramatic irony where it seems like it's the wrongfully imprisoned guy's father (that was the relation between the two, right) was the kidnapper. Hell, the curtained books probably belong to him.

Also apparently the mother of the first kidnapped kid was involved in the kidnapping, apparently?

And I'll do some Qualia the Purple, since I haven't heard of it. Chapter by chapter, as I come up with stuff.

Chapter 1:
Already I'm wondering if Yukari is a robot. Or it's a twist where everyone is a robot, without knowing it. Well except for Marii, but she doesn't seem to think she's a robot.

...And then it turns out that she does think everyone is a robot, what with the swimming pool scene. Or not, considering just a few pages later?

Chapter 2:
And of course one of the characters says what I was thinking. Well minus the alien invasion bit. Though the second one was more in line with my guess. Huh.
Also ominous person standing around. I guess she also has purple eyes, or something? Something like that, at least.

And gas mask wearing Yukari. And some sort of ventilation tubing? And I'm not sure if the gas mask vanished, or she took it off in between panels.

Chapter 3:
Oh, she just took it off.

Oh hey, ominous person is the killer? Didn't think she would come up so soon. Especially not that last page of 'yes, totally the murderer'. I guess it being so short has to do with it. At least I think that's the same person.

Other thoughts: I'm guessing that the 'perfect for her' plastic model robot is going to be how Yukari sees her? Or similar to, at least?

Chapter 4:
Oh hey, philosophical zombie. I came across that in a fiction book a few weeks ago. Or at least a similar concept. It was more of a zombie 'drives' the body, while the person oversees kind of thing. 'Mindscan' if you're curious about the book. It was only a passing reference to it, though. Although come to think of it, it does kind of have a similar kind of thing. Uploading your mind into a robot body, and all that. Just don't read the back of the book blurb/summary, since it kind of spoils something that only happens way late in the book.

Oh poo poo ominous girl. And I'm really thinking she also has the same thing Yukari has.

Oh hey, I was right. From the very first time I saw her. Huh. Though I guess it was the fact that the art was shown similarly. Still it's black and white, so that is kind of impressive.

Wait, did she cut her arm off? Good god. I'm guessing this kind of behavior is the whole 'scariness' of Yukari. And I'm going to guess that while Yukari treats objects the same as people, ominous girl treats people the same as objects. To mirror the earlier dialog.

Also it's almost to the 'beginning' scene.

Chapter 5:
'Meat sacks'? I guess that's the big difference between the two.

What. A bunch of living plastic models. I... did not expect anything like that. Not even with the lines before that.

Chapter 6:
Oh god what. So Ominous Girl is a robot? Or Yukari knows how to take apart people without killing them?

This is kind of amazing. She put the cell phone in her arm? Is it even the same arm?

I'm wondering if Yukari can bring back the dead with whatever the hell this is.

Oh hey, it was just the cell phone made into her arm. I was thinking that might have been it, but then thought "No, it can't be that. That'd just be too strange."

Oh this was a book before becoming manga? Huh.

Chapter 7:
Nothing jumps out at me. Except for what is probably yet another purple eyed person. Though the 'forgetting' things was kind of interesting. I wonder if it was less 'forgotten', and more 'changed by someone else'.

Chapter 8:
Last page: Wait what. "Was me."? Cell phone arm that can speak to the past!

Chapter 9:
Oh, it's a quantum hand-phone. Interesting.

Chapter 10:
Point of no return? That can't be good. It's going to be where she tells herself that Yukari is going to die, isn't it?

Or it could just be Quantum investigation. Okay then.

Chapter 11:
Well, that's different. I'm not sure what to say about that. It's kind of similar to ideas for stories I've had, but still completely different.

Chapter 12:
Kind of strange seeing English and English there.

Oh hey, branching from the 'present' to the future and the past. I had a similar idea ages ago, but this is so much clearer than what I put thought to.

And I reached the end. Darn.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

If Kissmanga isn't being cooperative with loading pages, try something like Batoto, that's usually a good place to go, it just doesn't have KM's incredibly convenient all-on-one-page style. Don't read comments on there though, they're usually rife with spoilers.

Qualia the Purple 1-12 spoilers: I don't know if you missed that Yukari died at the end of chapter 9, but she did. The next three chapters are Gaku's incredibly badass/terrifyingly determined attempts to find out the truth and if she can fix it. Then she just realizes that she's far more powerful than she originally thought and alters reality to revert back to a time before Yukari was sent to JAUNT in the first place and stop her from leaving. Really, that Gaku is perfectly willing to throw her infinite alternate lives into all sorts of absolutely horrific and suicidal situations just in the hopes of finding new information was really powerful and also pretty drat scary. This isn't just shounen determination, this is something more than that. What happens at the end of 12 is extremely ominous though. At this point the series is about half over(it's based on a complete light novel series apparently) and I am INCREDIBLY curious as to what will happen from here on, because we've seriously reached (Gurren Lagann spoilers)Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann using-galaxies-as-weapons levels of insanity only halfway through.
Qualia the Purple 1-12 spoilers:

Oh, I did notice that. I was referring to the part where she got a message from (one of?) her future versions. The one that convinced her to get Yukari to JAUNT. Though I suppose it could have been one of her selves that didn't try to talk Yukari into going, and JAUNT just outright killing Yukari.

I wrote/thought that before I had read the whole plane death thing that got undid by Gaku.

There wasn't much I could think of to say about what Gaku could do/realized that she was able to do. It's really disturbing in any case. All the horrible things done, simply because one version of Gaku 'had' to do it, just in case it was the shortest path.

Though I do kind of wonder what the 'extra' stuff is. Just pictures?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Okay, now I've been reading volume 2.

Dang, it just keeps getting crazier. I'm going to guess shadow-y ghost thing is the same thing as the other ghost thing?

And I just went straight on to Volume 3:

Oh god, did he think he took out the gun?

He did.

Chapter 24:
Ahaha. He just turtled up. And it worked.

And I just kind of... kept reading, since there's not really much to say. poo poo just keeps piling up, and no real 'twists' to react to.

Though he keeps trying to keep the teeth. Even though it seems he lost them now.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I ended up finding out why Qualia the Purple's translation is taking awhile.

The main translator went on a marathon of 'Sora no Kiseki' games, which apparently has seven (eight?) games in the series? All before the new one comes out this month. So if the next chapter translation isn't released before the 26th, don't expect it for awhile, I suppose.

I have no idea how long those games are, though.

The 'main translator', Moogy, apparently joined starting with chapter 8. He's apparently read the novel, as well.

And he talked about information that was in it, but not the manga. Either shuffled around, or just plain dropped. Read it at your own risk, but I think as of chapter 12, it covers most of what is in there. Except for some backstory of a certain character that I'm not sure will be mentioned at all. Though the notes were attached to chapter 9/10, they kind of have spoilers for 11/12.

Moogy posted:

They kind of cut out a lot from the novel in this and the previous chapter, there’s a bunch of stuff about Alice and another conversation Manabu has with herself that aren’t shown in the manga at all.

Important stuff mentioned is that Alice was the daughter of a drug addict who got mixed up with a cult and was treated as a “demon child” until JAUNT found her. The concept of the human brain as a quantum computer is also brought up, which is somewhat important later on.

It also mentions that Manabu’s energy is used to power the phone and she needs to recharge after she uses it, so she keeps a bag of sweets handy in her room at all times.

Also, in page 27 of Chapter 10, the line “Don’t worry about it… Now, this goes for me, too, but isn’t this your second phone call today?” doesn’t make a lot of sense, seeing as they still have to reveal the fact that Gaku needs to “charge” her cellphone.

Also some translation notes that Moogy had for Chapter 8, paraphrased, as it was kind of wordy/talking about the existence of the book in general:

'Super unified theory' is not the grand unified theory, apparently. But something even 'bigger'. The text apparently has one more character in front of it than the Japanese for 'grand theory of everything'. Which seems to mean 'exceed'/'surpass'/etc., at least according to google translate. Not knowing Japanese, I'm not sure what it actually is. Nor do I have the background to try to figure it out. I'm guessing it's just literally a theory that goes beyond the grand unified theory. A term that apparently is only used in Japanese.

And the book mentioned a few pages later in the manga is "The Stars My Destination",

Though Moogy did say that the scientific explanations are accurate, at least as far as he knows. And that he's been getting some help from a grad student in Quantum to confirm the terms and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Qualia the purple chapter 13 is out now. Just a heads up.