Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Questions about I am a Hero:

Did the editor guy... try to get a blowjob from zombified Mi-chan and that's how his dick got cut off? That must be why he was bleeding all over the chair. I'm having a hard time piecing together the chain of events there. And how did Tekko get infected?

And the fat guy killed the third coworker just because he was jealous, what a loving psychopath.

It sucks that this hasn't been licensed in English! My dad would love this, but he's not the type to read comics online.

Edit: Thanks! VVVVVV

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Ōoku: The Inner Chambers

Edo period Japan. A strange illness erupts in a small village. Only men and boys catch it, and around 80% of victims die in agony, covered in red boils. This sickness, eventually known as the Redface Pox, spreads throughout the country. Soon the male population is devastated, with 4 women for every 1 man. Japanese society slowly adapts, with women taking on jobs and political positions formerly open only to men, and inheritance being altered to pass through the female line.

Even the Shogun is now a woman. The titular Ōoku (harem) of Edo Castle is filled with the most beautiful men of the land, carefully guarded to ensure the birth of an Tokugawa heir. While men in the outside world have become so rare that marriage is a luxury, hundreds of them live, die, and struggle for political supremacy inside the Ōoku.

Ōoku, by mangaka Fumi Yoshinaga, is an period drama with a twist. It's really good if you're like me and enjoy a) speculative fiction exploring "alternate" societies and b) political fantasy. It's slow-burning, focusing more on deadly palace intrigue and gradual societal change than on epic battles and fight scenes. If you're familiar with the Tokugawa period you'll probably enjoy it even more since Yoshinaga adheres closely to the historical record. It's fascinating to see how she uses the premise to create an entirely new justification for historical events like Japanese isolationism or the revenge of the 47 ronin.

It's licensed, so here's where you can buy it from Amazon.

I've heard people compare this to Y: The Last Man. It's not too similar. Obviously in Ōoku there are far more male survivors than in Y. Ōoku also doesn't focus on a single character as protagonist. It covers one character's life, then centers on another character, then that character's children, and so on. You watch as the Redface Pox slowly changes Japanese society to the point where most people don't know that there were once equal numbers of men and women. It's an extended alternate history.

The only bad thing about this series for me was the translator's strange decision to have the character's speak in faux-Shakespearean English. Luckily once I read it long enough it soon faded into the background. On the other hand, I read a review saying that made it more believable, so it depends on personal preference!

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 3, 2014