Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

a kitten posted:

Yokohama Shopping Trip / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

After unspecified disasters: the oceans are way higher, somethings taken a good chunk out of Mt. Fuji, and the population is drastically reduced--humanity is in its twilight years. YKK tells the story of Alpha, an android who runs a small coffeshop in an out of the way coastal town in Japan.

It's good.

It's really good. It might be one of my favorite things I've read in print, in fact. Its slow and languorous pace might not be for everyone, but if you think you might enjoy a fairly unique spin on the end of the world with some wonderful drawings you should give this one a look.

It's unlicensed and can be read at this link

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a cute robot playing a gekkin, by herself--forever.

YKK is one of my favorite manga ever. It evokes the Japanese sentiment of mono no aware, which means "sadness at the passing of things". Alpha is a robot, which basically means she's immortal. She lives in a world where humanity is on the decline (the reasons for which isn't important), and she'll most certainly outlive them. The manga is wistful, but never overly sentimental about this. I wouldn't mind the world ending like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU