Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Broke: Harem anime
Woke: Pseudo-Harem, a delightful little manga about a girl in high school flirting with a guy in her club by pretending to be different anime tropes

It’s delightful, and a super easy read. Most chapters are only a couple pages long. https://mangadex.org/title/30945/pseudo-harem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. All of Mangadex is down right now. I wonder if they're getting KissManga'd.

Edit: Or did some big chapter of something drop and everybody's flooding the site?

Mangadex goes down constantly

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything to recommend out of the current manga Humble Bundle? The only thing I recognize is that NOiSE, the prequel to BLAME!, is a part of it.

In/Spectre is apparently pretty fun. Gleipnir can be good but it can also feel sleazy, Inuyashiki is by the Gantz guy and everything he makes is technically proficient trash.

To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts has a fun premise that it doesn’t live up to

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kokoro Wish posted:

I get the feeling that there was a real struggle with being "Shonen" going on there. The first arcs read more like a Seinen manga than anything else, with the Shonen fights feeling a bit like the worst parts of the whole thing.

I can't pin all the fault on Melon, like I've been reading in alot of takes. I actually liked the idea behind Melon and how he and Legosi were set up to mirror each other, but he is poorly used and the plot just falls apart half way through the last arc.

Every time Melon is set up to be a mirror of Legosi it falls apart because he sucks so much that you actively resent the author for making him a part of the comic.

I’m glad I dropped Beastars and I should have dropped it thirty chapters earlier because Melon made it suck so much

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jackard posted:

Any chance that the adaptation will fix the fuckup?

Probably not. Anime typically don’t change the endings that much. Most anime-original endings happen because they overtake the the story they’re adapting and decide to end it, and that’s not been a thing for a while

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a lot of series that have strong, planned ends, you just don’t hear about them much. I love Ushio & Tora and Kekkaishi, two supernatural themed battle manga from the 1990’s and the 2000’s, respectively, and they both spanned a little over thirty volumes and ended really well, but when I bring up either of them, the most I tend to get is “I watched an episode or two of their anime.”

Now, I admit that Kekkaishi especially doesn’t have a big following, and people freaking love stuff by Naoki Urasawa, who created a handful of long running series like Monster and 20th Century Boys, so it could just be that people like talking about train wrecks more than satisfying endings

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

a kitten posted:

Recently i've been listening to a podcast that reminded me of this thread.

Mangasplaining is a podcast where 3 of the hosts introduce japanese comics to a fourth who has basically no knowledge of manga. The hosts are: Deb Aoki, David Brothers and Christopher Butcher all of whom work or worked at western manga distributors (also David used to post and mod here in BSS) and the 4th person is Chip Zdarsky, who's an artist and writer with work published by DC and Marvel, including Spider-man and Daredevil.

It's pretty good! They've picked some good stuff for him and it's fun to hear a comic professional's thoughts on this stuff. There's about 10 episodes so far, a sampling of things they've covered: Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yotsuba&, and Delicious in Dungeon. I've read some of what they've discussed, but not all, but thanks to them i've now read some Rumiko Takahashi, and i finally grabbed the 1st volumes of Delicious in Dungeon and Way of the Househusband, both of which i've liked every panel and page i've ever seen, but somehow hadn't started reading yet. The biggest complaint i have is that, for the most part, they only read the 1st volume and sometimes the things that make a manga series great don't really get rolling until the 2nd. Even Yotsuba, which i love to bits, hugely improves after vol. 1. It seems like they've all realised this as well and it sounds like they might read more of each series as they go on, or if it's short enough, just read the whole thing.

Coming up they've got Paradise Kiss, Naruto, and Beastars

e: a link i guess
e:e: also their show notes are really good and expansive

Man, I understand wanting to read a wide amount of works but only reading the early volumes is such a disservice. There’s a lot of manga that work best as a complete series and a lot of manga that just completely poo poo the bed halfway through (Naruto and Beastars being greats examples of that)

Edit: unrelatedly, people should read A Silent Voice, it’s a pretty good seven volume work about a deaf girl and the boy who used to bully her and how we all hate ourselves and each other

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Reading the book in physical so I took pictures of the pages

Witches, by Daisuke Igarashi, is a collection of stories about various witches and it’s pretty dang good.

Another manga that I’ve read recently that I think is great is Blue Period. It’s about a high schooler deciding to professionally pursue art as his career and it’s really good