Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ryonguy posted:

For sure, the first series is one of the greatest sci-fi mangas of all time.

If this is how you feel about the OG run, you really need to see the film because I can almost guarantee you'll love it. Have you seen the two-episode OVA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ryonguy posted:

I am pretty sure I won't considering your avatar.

As big as a fan as you say you are of the books, you're definitely gonna regret not seeing it at the theater imo. All good though, it's your choice :tipshat:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ryonguy posted:

That's kinda the definition of a bad adaptation.

Personally, I would have forgiven a lot more if it had gone with an animated movie instead, but no cartoons are for kiddos so lets blow hundreds of millions on cgi and end up with

edit: You know, I'm actually kind of pissed about this; seriously you could have done an entire 12+ episode season, animated, and drat well, for what this stupid summer blockbuster cost. What a goddamn waste of money.

You refuse to see the movie, so saying it's the definition of a bad adaptation and that you would have forgiven the filmmakers if they made an animated movie instead doesn't mean anything really. Unless you actually saw the film, then nevermind, that's your opinion :)

Note, the film set to cross the $400 million mark worldwide this weekend, against its $170 million budget. While that's a relatively modest box office take, realize that Alita: Battle Angel isn't a sequel; to most moviegoers Alita is an unknown IP that comes equipped with zero brand recognition, unlike the Marvel/DC movies, Star Wars, etc. Having even made $400 million is a huge milestone when taking Hollywood manga/anime adaptations into consideration — especially one whose source material is an old and weird/goofy manga that had a spotty Anglophone release over the years. In that regard, the film is a success imo. Its box office performance defied expectations and proved that a good, well-received manga/anime adaptation is possible.

That said, we probably won't get a sequel, but considering just how well the film played over with audiences, Cameron could license a long-form anime series to Netflix or something to continue the story. Robert Rodriguez could be brought onboard as showrunner too, since with all the care and reverence he put into making the film, you can tell he has a soft spot for the character and her story. Whether that happens or not is on Cameron though, since he owns all adaptation rights to Battle Angel, including TV and anime. But if Avatar 2 and 3 make Disney a metric fuckton of money, maybe they'll do Cameron a solid and let him have Alita 2.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 17, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ryonguy posted:

It's almost as if seeing the shots from it, reading reviews of it, and hearing how the story is mashed up is enough to see it as not something that is going to be good to watch for me. Also a huge amount of money that isn't disclosed went into marketing, without even getting into the discussion over "popular =/= good". Cameron is a hack, everything he touches is bloated, bland garbage (cue joke about how nobody can remember what a billion dollar movie was even about).

You can like this film, my not wanting to see it based on the evidence that's been presented to me that isn't fanboy gushing isn't going to change your enjoyment of it. I just think the several hundred million dollars that were spent on making a mediocre big budget sci-fi popcorn flick to fellate Cameron's ego could have been far better used, and nobody who goes to see this is going to remember it past a year just like every other one like it.

Ok then.

Captain Invictus posted:

So did you actually go see it or are you being one of those guys who complains about thing thing they never tried/watched/played

It's the latter.

As far as marketing budgets goes, general rule of thumb is to take the production budget and double it to get the total cost of a film including marketing. Alita technically made money, just not a lot. Still, the $400 million world wide sum is nothing to just handwaive.

RT is also a pretty crappy metric with regards to a film being good or not imo, especially the critic review score since the site is just an aggregator and a lot of the nuance in what a critic says gets overlooked in favor of a hard, numerical/data-based rating. Look at a film's CinemaScore grading instead for a more accurate representation of how enjoyable/successful a movie potentially is if you want a data-based rating — A graded films are typically good movies, B grades are likely super divisive and/or middling in quality, with C grades and below generally ranging from bad to complete trash.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2019