Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
That Azumanga Daioh omnibus is probably one of the best comic investments I've ever made. It's like 20 bucks for almost 700 pages of funny comics.

And oh my god why does it always feel like a new volume of Yotsuba&! is so far away. It seems like every time I check amazon the date moves back another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
A good manga I think that a lot of people should read is Peepo Choo by Felipe Smith.

It's the story about a kid obsessed with a weird anime getting a chance to visit Japan. But once he's over there he discovers that Japan doesn't live up to that ideal that he's been building up in his head.

The comic spans three volumes (that you'll have to buy. No free translations here!) and really tells a story that almost anyone can connect with on some level. It's just just abusing anime fans (there's a lot of that, though, to be sure) but really it's about the importance of examining things that are important to you and the dangers of building up a place or a thing in your head. The story follows Milton but at the same time it explores the obsessions people develop over American culture, sex, fame, and unhealthy friendships.

It's also incredibly mean and has some of the most graphic sex and violence I've ever seen in a comic.

And as a side note: Felipe Smith is actually an American. One of the few to be published as a manga artists/writer in Japan. He's also going to be writing Ghost Rider next year.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Fantagraphics has a preorder up for the new Inio Asano book if you are interested in books that probably rule.

Check it

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I was going to bump the horror comics thread but it hasn't been posted in since 2014 hachi machi

ANYWAY, The Drifting Classroom Perfect Edition Vol 2 is out. It's a horror manga from the 70s about a school that gets teleported somehow into the middle of an endless desert and all the kids have to try and survive. Check it out if you like watching just horrible things happen to children constantly.