Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, it's a hard read at times, but it's also really drat good. the dog kicking is really, really rough to see, but it also explores the why, and eventually shows her learning to deal with her issues related to them without violence.

also, might be the first time I've seen that fetish mentioned in a manga, and the reaction to it was entirely appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

101 posted:

What would that be? I'm curious but it doesn't sound like my cup of tea
here you go

"I want a girl to fart in a bag so I can sniff it", I nearly died laughing, I was not expecting that at all

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 3, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some webmanga shorts that I've recently found enjoyable

A Manga About The Kind of PE Teacher Who Dies at the Start of a School Horror Film

this is hilarious. a fun twist on the typical trope of big ugly/muscly dude who gets merk'd immediately to show what a threat a horror creature/monster/alien is.

Creepy Cat

A nice 4koma about a girl and her creepy, creepy cat in a tim-burton-esque artstyle.

Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl

an adorably naive, sheltered girl falls in love with a handsome girl, who has trouble coming out and telling her that she's a girl and not a boy.

My First Love Was a Beautiful "Girl"

A boy reunites with the girl he fell in love with as a kid after ten years, only to find out she is actually also a boy, and in charge of a crossdressing club.

The Muscle Girl Next Door

unfortunately a short, completed one, about a rail-thin man who falls in love with his super buff neighbor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything to recommend out of the current manga Humble Bundle? The only thing I recognize is that NOiSE, the prequel to BLAME!, is a part of it.
Fort of Apocalypse is a pretty fun zombie apocalypse series where the zombies are fairly constantly mutating into new forms. It's also got some fantastic art most of the time, and boy howdy there's some scenes that really just genuinely horrified me, like when the "dogs" show up for the first time. The ending is a bit of a wet fart, I think it might've got canceled so it feels pretty rushed, but on the way there it's pretty solid and very weird.

I love zombie stuff that isn't just shamblers/runners, and boy does it go way beyond that poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a manhwa I've recently been following, it's absolutely fantastic. It's called Beware the Villainess, and it's in the typical otome game isekai genre, but don't necessarily let that dissuade you.

It follows the awakened to her reincarnation Melissa Podebrat, villainess of a romance novel series.

she's no shrinking violet or (generally) bumblingly adorable innocent bakarina type; she's sharp, aggressive, and unflinching in the face of the shithead romanceable male leads of the setting.

it's genuinely hilarious and sometimes really intense reading her go at it with the antagonists, never backing down, or if she does so, maintaining her image most of the time. Good at heart but absolutely unwilling to tolerate bullshit. It's a fantastic series and definitely deserves its high rating on mangadex.

also I love it whenever she goes into fist of the north star mode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beastars, formerly one of my favorite series, ended.

I really cannot believe how much an incredible series could have poo poo down its own leg until I read Beastars. There's a point after Legosi leaves the academy and starts life in an apartment that is still great, and then after that point, it gets into this immensely tedious and horrible storyline involving the character Melon, an herbivore/carnivore hybrid. So many ideas and plot threads are introduced and immediately dropped(the entire concept of "chimera" and literal loving Stands appears and vanishes in iirc a single goddamn chapter!) you'd swear it was an anthology of short stories trying to string together in the same world rather than one interconnected narrative, and the quality of the series falls off a loving cliff in the last third, with the finale chapters just being downright insulting to the reader.

It's incredible, in the literal definition of the word. I will still recommend the series to people, but with the caveat of stopping at a certain point. Man, what a loving bummer. Props to Paru for doing a good job with the first half or so of the series, but boy howdy she should have gone on hiatus or some poo poo instead of trying to force new chapters out constantly when she clearly had no goal in mind. gently caress.

Nemo2342 posted:

I love this series, but I do want to offer one word of caution: it takes a good 20 chapters to get going. However once Melissa starts being proactive it gets awesome and doesn't stop.
I would say it's pretty good even until then, her just dunking on the crown prince is fun as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
been a while.

if you've not been following it, the final season of Attack on Titan is currently airing. It is expected to finish nearly simultaneously with the manga, which is ending soon, people are estimating around 5 more chapters.

it's quite good, even with the studio change they've maintained the quality and intensity the series is largely known for(barring awkward CGI colossal titan from prior seasons). if it sticks the landing with the ending, it'll definitely go down as one of the all-time great anime series alongside the like Fullmetal Alchemist and such.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So Attack on Titan's manga ended.

It would not be unreasonable to say it has one of the worst endings I have ever seen. People are comparing it to the Game of Thrones ending, but in this case it's a singular chapter that manages to seriously damage the entire rest of the work, the characters, the story, the themes, with what it does. It's honestly impressive how much they hosed it up.

It's honestly a shame, since the majority of the rest of the series is so good. It's a marathon runner who was way out ahead of the pack right at the end, then tried to do something elaborate right before crossing the finish line only to poo poo their pants, faceplant into the pavement, and knock themselves unconscious while everyone else passes their body

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would be nice but I highly, highly doubt it.

If anything, there's some scenes where I think animation might reinforce the tone of the scene in ways the mediocre at best artwork of the manga might fail to do, but there are statements and reveals in the final chapter that ruin significant chunks of the story and characters.

Also someone forgot to put up a giant DO NOT CONGRATULATE in the writing notes for the chapter, soooooo

I still think the series up to the early-to-mid 130's is still phenomenal with some fantastic reveals and great character writing. But it also botches it harder than I've ever seen a series besides Usagi Drop did right at the end. I would almost say stop at the end of chapter 138. It'd be an incomplete ending, but probably better than reading the last chapter and having multiple aspects of the story retroactively ruined for you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A lot of series get canceled but a lot of series also have satisfying and thought out endings that were planned and not the result of boredom or cancellation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, just got reminded this gigantic manga humble bundle is ending in a bit over a day. It's got a bunch of good stuff in it, To Your Eternity, Don't Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Tokyo Revengers, and Seven Deadly Sins.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait really

People always joked "berserk will never be finished" but I guess it really won't be now. Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been a long time, hasn't it? I'd not been reading much manga for a while, until relatively recently when mangadex came back(more specifically, when they finally circumvented the verizon blockage).

but along with this necro post, comes another necro post out of nowhere that just got uploaded: the epilogue chapter of I Am A Hero, the series that inspired me to make this thread in the first place. It's appropriately weird as a sendoff for the series, and also has a silly twist which is, again, appropriate for this series.

https://mangadex.org/title/ff5ef336-72d7-45a2-bc69-c2ae8fbfeec8/i-am-a-hero