Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I read several of the recommendations here and enjoyed them all but got pissed every time I realized they weren't finished. The Town Where Only I Am Missing in particular, because it seems like it's so close to ending, and now I have to wait. D: Which of the series recommended in this thread are complete?

I also read I Am A Hero and boy oh boy, after the very hard to get through first volume, this manga sure got horrifying really fast; I just got to around chapter 50 and oh lord the zombie babies crawling around on the floor of a crowded room aaggghhhhh this is like a cross between Crossed and Junji Ito and I just, gahhh.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Parasyte is one of my favorite mangas as well; I'm glad to find out it wasn't just me who was a fan of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

The story follows Shinichi Izumi, ... Izumi and Migi

Was there a translation that eventually used their actual names? I read Parasyte back when Tokyopop was publishing it and the translation was pretty solid... except they renamed almost everyone to have American names. And then Migi became Lefty. :geno:

Also, if anyone is too lazy to read it (read it you dummies), an anime adaption begins next week. Trailer looks like it captured the manga pretty well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If it follows game rules, it falls under the more specific category of LitRPG, though typically that term is used with books. There's a whole thread about that genre in TBB, even.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Ascendence of a Bookworm, I've heard good things about this but haven't read it yet so I can't say for sure.

This one is great; well, at least in book form. The manga adaptation is faithful and adapts most of the important bits. It's not exactly full of action, and it's an incredibly slow burn, but it's got a lot of "I have to figure out how to recreate this thing from earth using fantasy world resources", if uplift fiction is what floats your boat. If you're the type who gets annoyed when an isekai character just goes "and then I invented chocolate [explanation of how is left as an exercise for the reader]" then you'll be very happy with this because it goes into excruciating detail about everything she invents (or fails to invent), from the stitches on clothes to paper and ink. If you can read Japanese, the web novel is complete and free to read at around 700 chapters, but the manga adaptation will take... oh, I'd say 5 years to complete at its projected rate. And the manga translations are even slower. A goon is translating the novel here, and his work is pretty high quality, but you'll also be left hanging as he's only 67 chapters in.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Literally 700 chapters, or is that exaggeration? How long are the chapters?

Literally 700 chapters. 677 plus a bunch of bonus ones. The manga adapts 2-3 chapters at a time and new issues come out every 3 weeks. They actually realized that at this rate, it could possibly take 10 years to adapt everything, so they got a second mangaka to adapt arc 3 (of 5) concurrently with the upcoming adaptation of arc 2. One chapter of the novel takes about 10 minutes to read by my reckoning; word count puts the English versions at about 4000-4500 words per.

It's not for everyone because it's an incredibly slow burn (30 chapters in and about all she has to show for it is some low quality paper, for example), but it's surprisingly educational and I love it. If you want to discuss the web novel rather than the manga, by the way, there's a dedicated thread for Japanese WNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This isn't new and I'm sure it's been brought up more than once but I just finished Billy Bat and I loving loved it. It's by Urasawa, so you know it's good; I'd actually read the first few issues as they came out, but eventually decided it was better to wait for it to end, and I only thought about it again last week.

For those who don't know, it's hard to describe the genre of this manga, but it's somewhere along the lines of an epic mystery+thriller spanning like a dozen time periods. It (initially) follows a Japanese-American comic book artist who invented a popular character, Billy Bat (who's obviously meant to be a stand-in for Mickey Mouse), but comes to realize that he may have subconsciously stolen the character from an artist in Japan, and when he flies there to find out for himself, he's drawn into a much bigger web of conspiracy than he could have imagined, as we learn that the Billy Bat character has been around for as long as humans have been able to draw.

Yes, it ends with a few big unanswered questions mainly, what Billy Bat even is, but that's really not the point. The point is following the wonderful (and loving huge) cast of characters as they travel the world across generations to find out the truth. It's also quite timely, I think, as all of its bad guys are also the bad guys of 2018 (Nazis, capitalism, racism, war, America), and the role that creative media plays in the world (and also how gosh darn great comics are). If you have a single creative bone in your body, you'll also probably end up being inspired to go make some art of your own by the end of it.