Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Captain Invictus posted:

So, Please Love the Useless Me just finally got wrapped up by scanlations. I recommended it here last year, and I hope some folks picked it up and followed it, because it's probably in my top 3 favorite romance series maybe ever. The humor is absolutely top notch, it follows full-blown adults instead of highschoolers(the heroine is 30), the romance is believable and the trauma is spot on(having familial experience with grifters, it definitely smacks of someone who's dealt with them before), every single named character is wonderful and it ends very strongly(and apparently a sequel started up shortly after!). I absolutely, 100% recommend it without exception. It's a huge step up from their previous work, Lovely Complex, which I also loved a lot and had a lot of the same humor, but definitely felt like a more inexperienced work compared to Damekoi(the shorthand folks use for this series). It's a goddamned shame it's never been licensed in english, but the entire series in Japanese can be had on Amazon, with used copies averaging about 5 bucks each volume.

Here's the original recommendation for convenience:

Oh, hey. I remember you posting this initially, reading up to what was currently out, and then forgetting to keep up with it. Thanks, this'll be a real treat to catch up on. It really is a super endearing series, with just the right balance between goofiness and sweetness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Captain Invictus posted:

I really hope it's doing well and encourages other companies to follow suit. Being able to get ahold of a bunch of properly translated stuff instead of stuff translated by nazis and racists would be just great. Is there any word on how well it's doing? Any internal numbers given out, probably not?

Here's an insanely good series I recently started(and rapidly caught up with, as there's only 13 chapters as of this post), called Heterogeneous Linguistics.

A linguist travels among the world of monsters, learning how each species communicates, how their societies and beliefs work, languages, behaviors etc and documents it. He is accompanied by various monsters going the same direction as him, as well as his mentor's daughter, a werewolf-human hybrid and the best character in the series by far. The way it deals with various typical JRPG/fantasy monsters like slimes and werewolves and lizardmen is staggeringly good, I seriously can't say enough good things about it. Like, slimes? they have no sense of self. each slime can split into multiple pieces and have varied intelligence based on the size of the slime, and carry memories along with that fragment. they communicate via touch, and if they communicate with another slime, they merge and become one being, as if they had always been those two slimes as one creature with all the memories. It's such a loving good concept for a slime creature and it makes me giddy just recalling it. The series is hilarious, it's really nice looking, it's really frank in its depiction of things and doesn't worry whether you can understand what's going on or not, you're just carried along for the ride. Seriously, seriously good series, like rivals Dungeon Meshi for my second favorite series spot especially if it continues on with this level of quality. One of the latest chapters has the linguist encountering another linguist, a minotaur, and they both try to suss out each other's language without being able to directly communicate. Just stellar. I am really sad it's not licensed yet, as I immediately went to try and order the first volume off amazon only to find nobody's picked it up yet.

I started reading this and it's wonderful-- very charming. Thanks!