Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phanatic posted:

These are the people you share a sidewalk with because you threw rocks at them when they were on the road:

https://twitter.com/ChuckeEChaves/status/1272515598493384704

I mean, of course.... OF COURSE you shouldn't run someone over for throwing rocks at cars. On the other hand... bet they won't be throwing any more rocks any time soon! Everyone in the video is awful and they probably deserve whatever bad things come their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BMW uses emotionless robots to install the turn signals now

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

taqueso posted:

BMW uses emotionless robots to install the turn signals now

But enough about Germans.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

But enough about Germans.

*snerk" this is exactly what I needed today without my morning coffee.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I mean, of course.... OF COURSE you shouldn't run someone over for throwing rocks at cars. On the other hand... bet they won't be throwing any more rocks any time soon! Everyone in the video is awful and they probably deserve whatever bad things come their way.

I'll be honest, I was kind of rooting for car guy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Yeah, of course from an ideal moral perspective the person in the car was no longer in danger and should have just called the cops from a safe distance.

That said, I always have a hard time finding any kind of sympathy for someone who picks a stupid fight and loses.

Also depending on exactly where and when this happened getting hit by a car might have been the safer option for the rock thrower.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The video is gone now but I remember thinking the guy throwing rocks looked a little too old for that, so I'm assuming he had some mental issues in which case hitting him with the car is probably not the appropriate response.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I, too, think smashing into someone with a lethal weapon weighing several tonnes is fair retaliation for throwing and missing with a stone.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

and a stone was already right there and handy

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Stolen from the OSHA thread:

Whooping Crabs posted:

I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZTA4K3vu4

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Of course it's New England.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's an article on it. The driver being 85 wasn't surprising to me, but this was:

quote:

Dorelus says troopers have already been dispatched to over 100 calls reporting a wrong-way driver on Connecticut highways in the first five-plus months of this year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well hopefully that guy loses his license forever after this. He clearly has no business being behind the wheel anymore.

That isn't even very far from me.

Last time I drove on that highway, some loving jackwagon in a Jeep liberty with a distressed-American-rifle-cartridge flag tire cover (you know exactly the one I'm talking about, I was very surprised to see it without 47 chud bumper stickers around it) saw the bumper stickers on my wife's wagon, flipped out, and decided the correct response to someone who disagrees with them and is calmly driving in the right lane was to race past me, honk, swerve in front of me and flip me off for a mile. Then hang out in front of me regularly flipping me off as if I didn't see it the first time.

I am also a manchild so I just hung back in case he brake checked me or threw something at me, then waited till the last minute to flash him the "you have a tiny penis" gesture out the window and take my exit and a few turns. I kinda hope he tried to back up in the breakdown lane and catch up to me, but never saw him again.

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 20, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a Charger with RGB headlights that cycled colors like a freaking GPU, looked pretty cool but I can't imagine they're legal.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kastein posted:

Well hopefully that guy loses his license forever after this. He clearly has no business being behind the wheel anymore.

In this year alone we've had two patients (that I know of) that had a TIA while driving and had no memory of them hitting other cars. They were super surprised when the cops angrily pulled them over. Thankfully the police here understood that they needed to get to a hospital.

VVV:
Transient ischemic attack, i.e. a stroke that doesn't leave any permanent damage.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 21, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
what is TIA?

and for someone like that, I don't think not having a license is going to stop them, unfortunately

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1274793215372062720?s=19

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bAEcWI2.mp4

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Story? How dead is the motorcyclist?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
It looks too perfect to be real. I'd be it's something the driver purposely added to his car to get reactions in the same way you would from those balloons that look like missiles you can tie to your car.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I didn't consider that it could be fake, but that's pretty high up there on the list of "how the hell can a driver not notice that?" videos I've seen online. It even looks like the driver's window is down.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's real and the motorcyclist isn't doing too bad, surprisingly. The driver was tracked down and arrested after crashing the minivan into a pole or something and running from the scene

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's good to hear, I only had a link to the video and didn't know the source.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The biker is understandably worried his bike may not be ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdmdnv5YYE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think quarantine made drivers worse. Everyone decided the ideal speed to go yesterday was 10 under the limit (in dry, sunny conditions), a few people just stopped in the middle of the road for no reason, and one guy tried to cut across a gore point and ram me because going to the next intersection and making a left wasn't his favourite way. Then after I honked at his stupid rear end and braked to avoid a serious accident, he proceeded to slow down to about 20 under the limit, and then speed up to 30 over the limit.

Situational loving awareness, motherfucker: use it!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PT6A posted:

Situational loving awareness, motherfucker: use it!

If it is any consolation, as a lifelong motorcyclist, my observations show about 0.01% of cagers have situational awareness. And about 0.05% of motorcyclists.

edit: Kinda related to "awareness", WTF, Lowtax? I just found out.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 25, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This light will never change unless you're over the sensor (which thankfully is pretty sensitive and always picks up my bike)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Why would they call them stop lines if you aren’t supposed to stop *on* them?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

God that pisses me off.

I deal with it about every day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

Why would they call them stop lines if you aren’t supposed to stop *on* them?

i yell at every one of these fuckin dopes when im out riding my bike

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually when I see that happen it's someone that was trying to get through on a yellow light but it turned red before the intersection was clear, so they got cold feet (or maybe worried about a red light camera) and deciding camping out there was a better choice. And are too stubborn to reverse back to where they should be.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

Usually when I see that happen it's someone that was trying to get through on a yellow light but it turned red before the intersection was clear, so they got cold feet (or maybe worried about a red light camera) and deciding camping out there was a better choice. And are too stubborn to reverse back to where they should be.

Being out there waiting to turn is called taking control of the intersection and you’re supposed to turn when your light turns red and the oncoming traffic stops.

Just sayin’, in case you didn’t know. Which I assumed because you talked about reversing which you should never really need to do. Especially in this situation.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

God that pisses me off.

I deal with it about every day.

*Stops 6' past the sensor*

"HNNNG THIS LIGHT TAKES FOREVER TO CHANGE!"

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Being out there waiting to turn is called taking control of the intersection and you’re supposed to turn when your light turns red and the oncoming traffic stops.

It can vary from state to state. A relative in Tennessee told me that being in stopped the intersection for a left turn when the light turns red can be considered running a red. No idea if that is correct though.

I do know that in certain towns/cities/intersections, I don't trust drivers to let me complete the left without some fuckery.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

waffle iron posted:

It can vary from state to state. A relative in Tennessee told me that being in stopped the intersection for a left turn when the light turns red can be considered running a red. No idea if that is correct though.

I do know that in certain towns/cities/intersections, I don't trust drivers to let me complete the left without some fuckery.

I highly doubt that’s true, and if it is I suspect the lights are configured to not let it happen. It’s been a part of the road design guidelines since forever - the intent is to let at least one person through per light cycle.

Also I’ve never had anyone gently caress with me when doing that and I’ve driven a lot of different places. Also watched a shitload of dash cam complications and don’t think I’ve seen it there either.

TLDR: don’t loving back up in traffic.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There are some intersections where I live where if you miss the protected turn (assuming it even has a protected turn cycle), you will not get an opportunity to turn until the light goes red. So your choices are to sit and wait for the next cycle (a no-go if there's no protected turn cycle), or to go into the intersection, and wait until you are forced to turn because the light just turned red.

In general it's just easier to do the latter, and it hardly affects anyone unless you have to wait for someone else who is blatantly running a red light.

Definitely do not reverse into traffic if you can avoid it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Protocol7, that’s exactly what you’re *supposed* to do.

Here’s a great explainer: https://www.springfieldmo.gov/426/Being-in-Control-of-the-Intersection

You’re 100% supposed to be in the intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way.

Edit: I think that may have been what you were saying, more or less, but I wanna leave this link here for the many people who don’t realize it’s actually legal and proper and not something sketchy that everyone does.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 6, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm pretty bad at explaining things, but that's basically what I was describing, yeah.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I agree how that's supposed to work, but there are a couple 4 way intersections where I used to live where the protected left started the cycle, then released to two way traffic. And it would result in lots of people coming the other way gunning it down a hill. I would have preferred the protected left to end the cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's 100% not like that everywhere. Where I learned to drive (Alaska) stopping in an intersection (and the crosswalk) is forbidden at all times. So if you want to turn left, you have to stay behind the stop line until you can drive all the way through without stopping.

Illinois is more like being discussed in this thread, I forget the exact wording in the code but it says that creeping into the intersection while waiting is the correct behavior. I think it's stupid because it means four cars are gonna pile into the intersection and try to cram their way through, denying cross traffic time on their protected green, but it is what the law says so I go with the flow. :shrug: