Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deedle posted:

Pedestrians aren't drivers in the eyes of the law where I live, and because they aren't drivers they cannot have right-of-way.

So you can just hit them willy-nilly?

I'm not entirely opposed to that, but it seems a tad unlikely to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Mooseykins posted:

Where is this place of sense and clear thinking???
The Netherlands. Pedestrians aren't drivers, so they can't have right-of-way. Pedestrians are just part of 'traffic'. Ofcourse there are situations where you have to "allow all other traffic to proceed", but it is never technically worded in a way that pedestrians have right-of-way. For example you have to stop at a zebra crossing if a pedestrian is crossing or about to cross. The violation for non-compliance is categorised as a failure to stop, like at a stop sign or red light, not as a failure to yield right-of-way.

Though don't get your hopes up too much. There's also a law which states that in the case of a collision between a party who must have Insurance by law (motorists, mopeds, segways etc) and a party who isn't required to have insurance (bicyclists, pedestrians, herds of cattle etc) the party who is required to have insurance is always liable for damages to the other, even if the non-insured party was at fault.
So if a drunk student runs his bicycle into the fender of your Miata, your insurance is going to have to pay for his bent wheel and you have to drag his rear end to court and sue at ridiculous expense to get any money to fix up your car.

PT6A posted:

So you can just hit them willy-nilly?

I'm not entirely opposed to that, but it seems a tad unlikely to me.
No, you can only hit them if they go by PT6A on SA...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

The Netherlands. Pedestrians aren't drivers, so they can't have right-of-way. Pedestrians are just part of 'traffic'. Ofcourse there are situations where you have to "allow all other traffic to proceed", but it is never technically worded in a way that pedestrians have right-of-way. For example you have to stop at a zebra crossing if a pedestrian is crossing or about to cross. The violation for non-compliance is categorised as a failure to stop, like at a stop sign or red light, not as a failure to yield right-of-way.

Though don't get your hopes up too much. There's also a law which states that in the case of a collision between a party who must have Insurance by law (motorists, mopeds, segways etc) and a party who isn't required to have insurance (bicyclists, pedestrians, herds of cattle etc) the party who is required to have insurance is always liable for damages to the other, even if the non-insured party was at fault.
So if a drunk student runs his bicycle into the fender of your Miata, your insurance is going to have to pay for his bent wheel and you have to drag his rear end to court and sue at ridiculous expense to get any money to fix up your car.

Hmm, brings back frustrating fond memories of driving through Amsterdam, dodging stupid tourists and 100mph locals on bicycles.

Amsterdam taxi drivers are amazing, give no fucks, yield to no-one, do 60kph everywhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deedle posted:

So, you have to actually stop for them in places where they have priority, instead of just giving right of way? Sounds like a fairly minor distinction (other than the penalty applied for loving up), and even more in favour of the pedestrian than the alternative interpretation. I'd also be surprised if backing up weren't one of the situations where you have to allow all other traffic to proceed, but that's just based on the local laws here in Alberta.

Again, I'm vaguely curious where people are reversing their cars that you wouldn't have to stop for pedestrians. The only thing I can think of is parallel parking. Backing out of a drive? Pedestrians on the sidewalk have priority. In a parking lot? Pedestrians have priority. Does driving in England involve a lot of backing up in the middle of the street or something?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You are literally the only person even loving talking about "legal" requirements.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Does driving in England involve a lot of backing up in the middle of the street or something?

While i don't want to restart that argument, London is a tightly-packed city, small roads, small spaces, dead ends. I frequently have to reverse in/out of such roads and dead ends, up alleyways, etc.

Even when they have right of way, people blindly walk out behind a moving vehicle, and as careful as you are, you can't watch every angle at once, no matter how slowly you're moving. It only takes a fraction of a second for someone to step out 2' into your path. There are plenty of time you're reversing out of an access road that crosses a pavement where people actually walk behind you and stop and stand in your path. Right of way or not, i can't sit there all day waiting for them to move, or keep getting out asking them to.

I have to reverse around open/blind corners, down roads due to obstructions, etc all day. This is not a city with all big roads.

As for reversing to parallel park, yes, people do step into the space you're reversing into, in order to cross the road. They're oblivious to the danger they put themselves in. My van has a big blind spot, i can have an entire car in it while driving, if they're close enough.

Right of way or not, sometimes they're just in the way and need to be told. I have honestly sat there, with all the lights going, revving the engine and beeping the horn while some oblivious/arrogant idiot stands behind me in my path. I could get out, get them to move, get back in, stick it in gear, take off the handbrake and have another idiot walk behind me. I'm genuinely not interested in right of way, i'm interested in the safety of those around me, and getting my job done. Getting beeped at is preferable to getting run over.

We disagee on the topic, sure, you're welcome to come here and see these idiots for yourself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

While i don't want to restart that argument, London is a tightly-packed city, small roads, small spaces, dead ends. I frequently have to reverse in/out of such roads and dead ends, up alleyways, etc.

Even when they have right of way, people blindly walk out behind a moving vehicle, and as careful as you are, you can't watch every angle at once, no matter how slowly you're moving. It only takes a fraction of a second for someone to step out 2' into your path. There are plenty of time you're reversing out of an access road that crosses a pavement where people actually walk behind you and stop and stand in your path. Right of way or not, i can't sit there all day waiting for them to move, or keep getting out asking them to.

I have to reverse around open/blind corners, down roads due to obstructions, etc all day. This is not a city with all big roads.

As for reversing to parallel park, yes, people do step into the space you're reversing into, in order to cross the road. They're oblivious to the danger they put themselves in. My van has a big blind spot, i can have an entire car in it while driving, if they're close enough.

Right of way or not, sometimes they're just in the way and need to be told. I have honestly sat there, with all the lights going, revving the engine and beeping the horn while some oblivious/arrogant idiot stands behind me in my path. I could get out, get them to move, get back in, stick it in gear, take off the handbrake and have another idiot walk behind me. I'm genuinely not interested in right of way, i'm interested in the safety of those around me, and getting my job done. Getting beeped at is preferable to getting run over.

We disagee on the topic, sure, you're welcome to come here and see these idiots for yourself.

Okay, maybe in that case, you have a point. I had no idea there existed a place where reversing outside of a parking situation was legal or regularly done, and I've certainly never seen a place where people will actually stand and loiter behind a vehicle with its reverse lights on. I'm thinking, like, you're backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot, and someone decides to walk behind you as they're allowed to do in a parking lot. It struck me as slightly prickish to honk at them when you could just wait for them to pass.

But, I suppose if it's actually a significant issue and other possibilities have been exhausted, then it makes sense. I've never seen someone simply stop right in the path of a vehicle, moving forward or backward, unintentionally.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Okay, maybe in that case, you have a point. I had no idea there existed a place where reversing outside of a parking situation was legal or regularly done, and I've certainly never seen a place where people will actually stand and loiter behind a vehicle with its reverse lights on.

Don't get out much, do ya?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Are hella super tones not the preferred horn upgrade these days?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Don't get out much, do ya?

Okay, I have seen that in Havana, but having been there a few times, I'm not even entirely sure they have traffic laws at all.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Okay, maybe in that case, you have a point. I had no idea there existed a place where reversing outside of a parking situation was legal or regularly done, and I've certainly never seen a place where people will actually stand and loiter behind a vehicle with its reverse lights on. I'm thinking, like, you're backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot, and someone decides to walk behind you as they're allowed to do in a parking lot. It struck me as slightly prickish to honk at them when you could just wait for them to pass.

But, I suppose if it's actually a significant issue and other possibilities have been exhausted, then it makes sense. I've never seen someone simply stop right in the path of a vehicle, moving forward or backward, unintentionally.

The access to my old shop is a prime example, it's an alleyway off a main road, dropped kerb, so it crosses a pavement/sidewalk. The entrace is a little under 9' wide, with straight walls on either side so no round-corner visibility. (My van is a little over 7' wide with the mirrors.) There is a family centre next to the entrace. The people that go there frequently walk out the door without looking, pushing strollers or with their kids. Often they will stand in the access path and chat or just generally get in the way. I've been reversing out and had them stand behind me while i've got all the lights going and i'm beeping the horn, they're totally oblivious.

I've reversed in/out multiple times and had a kid run out or parent push a stroller with a child into my path, where even just rolling on the clutch i've had to slam on the brakes.

You'd think that the lights would be enough, but they're (apparently) not.

This is the access:

If i'm reversing out a space in a car park and someone strolls past, i wait. That's a different situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fair enough; if people literally stand behind your car, oblivious, then perhaps the horn is necessary. I've never experienced that, even in similar low-visibility situations, and I have no idea why anyone would do that. I'm always nervous as gently caress when I'm walking past a low-visibility alley; I certainly don't loiter.

Now that the situation has actually been explained, I agree with you. I had this image of you blowing an airhorn at people who dare to walk behind you in a carpark, and it seemed very uncalled for.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis posted:

I'm talking about motorcycle application. I like the Nautilus sound for "something different and attention grabbing"

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Fair enough; if people literally stand behind your car, oblivious, then perhaps the horn is necessary. I've never experienced that, even in similar low-visibility situations, and I have no idea why anyone would do that. I'm always nervous as gently caress when I'm walking past a low-visibility alley; I certainly don't loiter.

Sometimes oblivious, sometimes just arrogant. Like "Oh they can wait, we need to discuss our kids' play dates for next week." type poo poo.

PT6A posted:

Now that the situation has actually been explained, I agree with you. I had this image of you blowing an airhorn at people who dare to walk behind you in a carpark, and it seemed very uncalled for.

While i'm the first to admit that i'm a van-driving oval office, i'm not that much of a van-driving oval office.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm talking about motorcycle application. I like the Nautilus sound for "something different and attention grabbing"

GIANT DUCK CALL

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
All you need is a really loud exhaust with a loping idle. Punch them in the face with your exhaust pulses. BLAP-uh BLAP-uh BLAP-uh

If they can hold a conversation behind your hotrod, you're doing something wrong

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Coming back to this thread with 50 new replies:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

All you need is a really loud exhaust with a loping idle. Punch them in the face with your exhaust pulses. BLAP-uh BLAP-uh BLAP-uh

If they can hold a conversation behind your hotrod, you're doing something wrong

Got that, doesn't help. Hi-viz gear, doesn't help.

Might have to upgrade to a Serbu Super Shorty and some Dragon's Breath rounds to be seen.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Raluek posted:

Contrary to popular belief, loud pipes not only don't save lives but they are loving useless unless you need your ego stroked

Thanks for the tip on the horns, I might upgrade the horn on my bike sometime soon.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
To keep the reverse chat going a little longer, when I did roadworks I worked with a road stabilising company, i've lost count the number of people that would not only walk through the site and behind reversing equipment but they would happily walk behind a reversing large sized stabiliser :psyduck: . I'm on my phone but when I get home i'll try and find a picture of one to give an idea of how incredibly stupid it is to walk near it without the driver knowing you are there.
E: here we are, this bastard here.

Tarantula fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 12, 2015

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh, thank you for that reminder too, I need to order that Stebel Nautilus I've been eyeing for years. My bike's horn makes an adorable but useless toot.

Using the horn on mine makes me think of the Roadrunner. "MEEP! MEEP!"

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W3rMB0SaW4

Red lights optional.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I watched that, but also I have watched the clips from Australia, and you have nothing on us. It's scary out there down here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Okay, this puts the airhorn argument in more context: apparently in the UK, it's not considered obligatory for either pedestrians, nor it would seem motorists, to actually pay any attention to what they're doing, where they're going, or their immediate surroundings.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PT6A posted:

Okay, this puts the airhorn argument in more context: apparently in the UK, it's not considered obligatory for either pedestrians, nor it would seem motorists, to actually pay any attention to what they're doing, where they're going, or their immediate surroundings.

Where do you live? It's the same in the US.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HotCanadianChick posted:

I was just going to say, that literally describes driving in the US.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Canada. It seems like people here at least know they're doing the wrong thing and do it anyway.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Canada. It seems like people here at least know they're doing the wrong thing and do it anyway.

Driving in Quebec is just like driving in Paris. They all drive like loving nutters.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

`Nemesis posted:

I bought this thing to replace the horn on my GS500 but apparently the wire on the factory horn was just frayed so I repaired it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-419-Bad-Boy-Horn/dp/B000F5DQWY

I might reattach it to something but it probably requires a wiring upgrade and i'm too lazy for that poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had some idiot get indignant with me when he stepped out in front of me without looking. It was just not possible to get into his head that this is a ton and a half of metal with 40-year-old drum brakes. Whether or not I want to hit you is but an interesting footnote to reality.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Durango tailgating and driving erratically just now, dented all to poo poo. Pulls up next to me and the girl is doing her makeup. Also kids in the back seat.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
There is an RSX Type S in my apartment complex lot that acquires a new dent every few months. Most recently it is missing its entire rear bumper. I feel so bad for that poor car. I feel almost as bad for the brand new scion XB that they bought to replace it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MrKatharsis posted:

There is an RSX Type S in my apartment complex lot that acquires a new dent every few months. Most recently it is missing its entire rear bumper. I feel so bad for that poor car. I feel almost as bad for the brand new scion XB that they bought to replace it.

Cars are disposable, duh! :haw:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I had some idiot get indignant with me when he stepped out in front of me without looking. It was just not possible to get into his head that this is a ton and a half of metal with 40-year-old drum brakes. Whether or not I want to hit you is but an interesting footnote to reality.

:qq: but but pedestrians have the right of way in all siuations! :qq:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

PT6A posted:

Not here in Ontario. Its loving disturbing and scary. People are terrible drivers, and have no concept of "drive to the conditions".

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Guy in an SUV squeezed past me in light traffic on my motorcycle, in my lane, to get to the left turn ahead of me... that I was signalling for. Proceeds to slam his brakes and swerve to block both lanes the second I come around the turn after him (we made it through the same break in traffic) and continue at 5MPH watching me in the rear-view mirror while swerving all over and laughing like a retarded chimp on acid. With oncoming traffic he was dodging around.

I was too busy trying to figure out what the gently caress to even get a look at his plate, I just know it was a silver... LandRover of some sort.

I really need a GoPro or similar.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

Driving in Quebec is just like driving in Paris. They all drive like loving nutters.

Quebec is an exception. If you change lanes like a Quebecer anywhere else in the country, you'll be honked at (see my earlier comment, whee I did just that).

I should rephrase my earlier comment: Canadians drive like garbage, but at least it seems like a very predictable sort of garbage. It's comparatively rare that they do unexpected retarded things; usually, they just do retarded things that you can see coming from a mile off with experience.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Another redlight runner spotted today. This guy was completely oblivious to the light and probably on autopilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wrQjRj_gIU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow lots of spergin and arguing over stupid poo poo in here.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I admire the nonchalance there, running the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Didn't the US make the third brake light mandatory years ago?