Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
These are the cars you ford the riv...road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0FbojuuzyQ&

starts at around a minute in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lime Tonics posted:

These are the cars you ford the riv...road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0FbojuuzyQ&

starts at around a minute in.

Doesn't look terribly dangerous, I'd have made that fucker wade out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Honda crossover seemed to be doing just fine, why did they back out instead of continuing? The depth looks like it's holding steady the rest of the way.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Phanatic posted:

That's exactly efficient. An IC engine's running at its most efficient when the throttle is wide open and the engine is ingesting all the fuel and air it can handle. A small undersized engine that needs to redline to drive on the highway is more efficient than a big oversized engine that can do it while burbling along at 2000rpm.

Why do you say that WOT is the most efficient condition? Are you also considering engine load, etc?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's wherever the engine turns the least amount of fuel into the most amount of horsepower. It's often near or at the peak of the torque curve.

This is the strategy that most SAE Supermileage and Shell Ecomarathon competitors use. At least in SAE Supermileage, the strategy is to take the mandated 150cc Briggs and Stratton engine, sleeve it and reduce the stroke to reduce the displacement to somewhere around 30-50cc and run it very lean and full throttle whenever it's on.

You really can't argue with results of 2000+ mpg.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I could see it, if you basically ignore all other aspects of a car besides just the engine. Aerodynamics play a big part in efficieny.

I definitely get better mileage if I cruise at 55 versus 75 because that extra 20mph results in a hell of a lot more load on the engine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay, right. Of course that makes sense; I was thinking of peak torque which generally occurs before WOT.

But as others said, you can't translate this directly into it being the most fuel-efficient operating condition. You have to consider the transmission, fueling strategy, etc.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

xergm posted:

I could see it, if you basically ignore all other aspects of a car besides just the engine. Aerodynamics play a big part in efficieny.

I definitely get better mileage if I cruise at 55 versus 75 because that extra 20mph results in a hell of a lot more load on the engine.

We are talking about two different kind of efficiencies. You are talking about "travel" efficiency, how to drive the longest distance compared to the amount of fuel burned. The other kind is engine efficiency, how to produce the most power compared to the fuel burned. An engine producing 100 kW power while burning 100 grams of fuel per minute is more efficient than an engine producing 50 kW while burning 80 grams of fuel, but the 100 kW engine would actually burn more fuel.

Engine efficiency isn't often that relevant. It's often overshadowed by other things affecting efficiency and it's quite hard to run an engine at peak efficiency. There aren't many cars that can do 200 km/h at 3000 RPM and partial throttle. It would have most signifigance with hybrids where the small engine is just charging the battery.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Saukkis posted:

The other kind is engine efficiency, how to produce the most power compared to the fuel burned. An engine producing 100 kW power while burning 100 grams of fuel per minute is more efficient than an engine producing 50 kW while burning 80 grams of fuel, but the 100 kW engine would actually burn more fuel.

Oh yeah, okay, thanks for this because it clarifies why I thought that statement about engine having its highest efficiency at WOT was strange. Although the engine may produce the most power at WOT, it doesn't make that the most efficient operating condition. If you look at engine output curves, you'll see that output / increase in RPM drops near the top. Which means, though you're getting more power out of the engine, the output/fuel ratio has dropped, which means less efficiency.

All depends on the specific engine, of course.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The term you guys are looking for is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, which is different from Volumetric Efficiency. VE follows the torque curve.

Peak BSFC will usually come at higher throttle openings but lower rpm because a partially closed throttle creates pumping losses. However, new engines with valve timing and lift control will often hold the throttle farther open but use the valves to control power and rpm, which means decreased pumping losses at part throttle.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 24, 2017

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

jamal posted:

The term you guys are looking for is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, which is different from Volumetric Efficiency. Peak VE is the peak torque figure at full thottle.

Peak BSFC will usually come at higher throttle openings but lower rpm because a partially closed throttle creates pumping losses. However, new engines with valve timing and lift control will often hold the throttle farther open but use the valves to control power and rpm, which means decreased pumping losses at part throttle.
Is a throttle valve really even necessary in a modern gas engine? Considering diesel engines don't use a throttle and just control RPM by regulating fuel flow, shouldn't a modern direct injected gasoline engine be able to do the same?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is a throttle valve really even necessary in a modern gas engine? Considering diesel engines don't use a throttle and just control RPM by regulating fuel flow, shouldn't a modern direct injected gasoline engine be able to do the same?

Gas engines need to keep the air/fuel ratio in a narrow range, so they need some way to limit air intake when power output (and hence fuel delivery) is low. Most engines still use a throttle valve. BMW uses a variable valve lift system instead - though they do still equip the engine with a throttle valve for fail-safe reasons. I think you'll see more engines in the future use tricks like that since there are some efficiency advantages.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Diesel engines run in the very lean region, so the precise amount of air entering the engine is not so important.
Typical gasoline engines run very close to stoich, so you need to be able to control the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. When gasoline engines run lean, exhaust temperatures skyrocket, and that's bad for all things during/after combustion and generates excess NOx. In addition, you'll now start misfiring.

There have been various attempts to make gasoline lean-burn engines (some of them successful) but for now, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits from these systems. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn Even in these cases, though, the air coming in to the engine still has to be controlled.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Gas engines need to keep the air/fuel ratio in a narrow range, so they need some way to limit air intake when power output (and hence fuel delivery) is low. Most engines still use a throttle valve. BMW uses a variable valve lift system instead - though they do still equip the engine with a throttle valve for fail-safe reasons. I think you'll see more engines in the future use tricks like that since there are some efficiency advantages.

That's neat, didn't know about that.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/25/valvetronic-bmws-innovative-throttle-system/

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This covers a 3-minute span late Friday night (need to reset the date on my front cam)

TURN YOUR

GOD drat

LIGHTS ON

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same here..erryday. Even cops.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Instrument clusters that stay lit regardless of the exterior lights need to gently caress right off.

That's a big cause of this poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vanagoon posted:

Instrument clusters that stay lit regardless of the exterior lights need to gently caress right off.

I think you're underestimating the stupidity of people who can't see with the 10 feet in front of their car that their lights are off.

I'm actually encountering a problem on the other end of the spectrum, though. Cars with high beams on. Christ, my poor retinas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've had a lot of fog lately in the Chicago area, and the number of yokels that think the solution to visibility is running high beams everywhere is pretty amazing.

drat near had to wear sunglasses on my drive home from work.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
These are the people you inadvertently share your driveway with even if you don't want to http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/24/man-parked-audi-on-strangers-drive-so-she-blocked-him-in-for-two-hours-6402624/

Metro.co.uk posted:

The 25-year-old, who lives in a seven-person house share, said: ‘I’d nipped out on Saturday morning and when I came back I was fuming to find my driveway blocked by an unknown car.

‘Not only that, he had parked over two spaces, leaving nowhere for me to park.

‘Usually I would just park further up the road, but I was so annoyed as this kept happening – neither me nor my housemates had any idea who it was, so I decided to block the driver in.

‘When I approached them, the two men started shouting at me, asking why I’d blocked them in.

‘I asked why they’d parked on my driveway, and their response was “there’s nowhere else to park”. I couldn’t believe the cheek of them!'

of course it's an audi driver

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

These are the people you inadvertently share your driveway with even if you don't want to http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/24/man-parked-audi-on-strangers-drive-so-she-blocked-him-in-for-two-hours-6402624/

of course it's an audi driver

I live in an apartment complex with gently caress all for parking, so I don't really sympathize with them (the driveway parkers). "Nowhere else to park" in this case just seems like another way of saying "We didn't want to park farther away and walk an extra minute."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

I live in an apartment complex with gently caress all for parking, so I don't really sympathize with them (the driveway parkers). "Nowhere else to park" in this case just seems like another way of saying "We didn't want to park farther away and walk an extra minute."

Judging by the poll, no one sympathized with the audi driver. Certainly, no one should -- you don't just park on someone else's driveway, that's unacceptable behaviour.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Its a really poorly designed junction, but seriously folks, don't pull out into a 70mph road right on front of oncoming traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL5NOfxKhvo

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
This is the sovcit I share a parking lot with at work:

Click for huge.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Judging by the poll, no one sympathized with the audi driver. Certainly, no one should -- you don't just park on someone else's driveway, that's unacceptable behaviour.

Agreed. Unless I'm mistaken, a driveway is a piece of private property. In no way should you park there without permission. It's definitely not a first-come-first-serve or this-spot-is-de-facto-mine-because-its-close-to-my-front-door.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

bolind posted:

Agreed. Unless I'm mistaken, a driveway is a piece of private property. In no way should you park there without permission. It's definitely not a first-come-first-serve or this-spot-is-de-facto-mine-because-its-close-to-my-front-door.

The best thing about this though is the police would just shrug their shoulders and say it is a civil matter and they can't do anything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The best thing about this though is the police would just shrug their shoulders and say it is a civil matter and they can't do anything.

You could always call a towing company and having the offending car removed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Or you could park behind it, since you're blocking access to your own driveway driveway, which you are perfectly allowed to do.

Speaking of cocks driving Audis, I was just walking home from the grocery store. An Audi was backing out, saw me walking behind, stopped ever so briefly as if he had seen me, and then started backing again as I was still directly behind the car. The gently caress is wrong with these people? (I asked him this myself, but he only replied with a sheepish wave)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geoj posted:

Click for huge.

What the gently caress is a Torrent?
Maybe they're right... maybe I WOULDN'T download a car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Its a Pontiac badged Chevrolet Equinox.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

You could always call a towing company and having the offending car removed.

Parking is 50 quid, but I was slow in getting to you, so it'll only be 40 quid to move my car and let you out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Geoj posted:

Being pulled over must be a fetish or something for some of these people.

Why not just write in big letters "Please pull me over, I don't have insurance or registration" all over your car while you're at it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Vanagoon posted:

Get rid of the parking light feature too - most times I've seen people out after dark with no lights, they only have the amber park lights on. Just turn those on at the same time as the headlights or make a separate button/switch for them already.

To contribute: Almost got sideswiped by some dumb rear end in a top hat at a 4 way stoplight when he was taking a right and I had a protected left green arrow. He took a wide swing into my lane so I honked, he jerked over fast to the right, then punched the gas and cut me off to get into the turn lane 2 lanes to my left. Wish I had an old beater truck like in Jeepers Creepers so I could plow that rear end in a top hat off the road into a ditch, loving waste of human DNA.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
While driving home from the store today, I had a question come to me...

Is there a chart / breakdown of what percentage of accidents happen in what lanes of a highway, with specifics for 'is the lane adjacent to on/off ramps' or 'is the lane the furthest from active merging'?

I have a theory and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it... I think accidents might be broken down like this, for a four lane highway:
<lane 1 (lower)><lane 2 (higher)><lane 3 (bit lower)><lane 4 (highest)><on/off ramps>.
I like getting all the way to the left and just staying there blending with traffic flow since there's only 1 side for cars to merge in/out.

Should I post this in the traffic thread instead in ask/tell?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xergm posted:

Being pulled over must be a fetish or something for some of these people.

Why not just write in big letters "Please pull me over, I don't have insurance or registration" all over your car while you're at it.

*rolls window down 1.5 inches*

AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I FREE TO GO?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
:freep:/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ambaire posted:

While driving home from the store today, I had a question come to me...

Is there a chart / breakdown of what percentage of accidents happen in what lanes of a highway, with specifics for 'is the lane adjacent to on/off ramps' or 'is the lane the furthest from active merging'?

I have a theory and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it... I think accidents might be broken down like this, for a four lane highway:
<lane 1 (lower)><lane 2 (higher)><lane 3 (bit lower)><lane 4 (highest)><on/off ramps>.
I like getting all the way to the left and just staying there blending with traffic flow since there's only 1 side for cars to merge in/out.

Should I post this in the traffic thread instead in ask/tell?

The problem with just hanging out in the left lane is that that's the passing lane, so you'll aggravate people who are trying to pass into doing less safe maneuvers in the other lanes (where people aren't expecting that) and potentially causing more accidents. :shrug:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ambaire posted:

I understand your rationale; staying to the right requires adjusting speed and checking for clearance to pass, while staying to the left you can maintain speed and force everyone else to adjust to the speed you choose.

Driving requires active participation, sorry but that's the way it is. If you'd rather be a passenger on the road, there are buses, taxis, carpooling, etc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Get he gently caress out of the left lane for cruising.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On highways, sure. On loop 410 in san antonio around 4pm today, a good 20% of the cars were in the left-most lane and it's often the fastest since it's away from all the merging.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My brains says this :

NoWake posted:

I understand your rationale; staying to the right requires adjusting speed and checking for clearance to pass, while staying to the left you can maintain speed and force everyone else to adjust to the speed you choose.

Driving requires active participation, sorry but that's the way it is. If you'd rather be a passenger on the road, there are buses, taxis, carpooling, etc.

But my heart says this:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ambaire posted:

On highways, sure. On loop 410 in san antonio around 4pm today, a good 20% of the cars were in the left-most lane and it's often the fastest since it's away from all the merging.

gently caress 410. gently caress the cunts here that can't merge or pay attention to what they are doing.