Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is what a garbage driver looks like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Raccoons are getting more and more bold.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is how Car & Driver determines the front/rear weight distribution.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saw a new one today. coming up to a red light, the guy in front of me turned right onto a side street, immediately did a u-turn in the middle of that street, and then turned right back onto the street on the other side of the light.

Like he thinks he discovered some crazy loophole where he didn't just run a red light, he made 2 legal turns and one crazy u-turn in the middle of the side street.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Saw a new one today. coming up to a red light, the guy in front of me turned right onto a side street, immediately did a u-turn in the middle of that street, and then turned right back onto the street on the other side of the light.

Like he thinks he discovered some crazy loophole where he didn't just run a red light, he made 2 legal turns and one crazy u-turn in the middle of the side street.
I see something like that every once in a while: driver misses protected left in the light cycle, so they just go straight, immediate (usually) legal U-turn, and then immediate right. All of that to avoid waiting for the protected left again.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I see something like that every once in a while: driver misses protected left in the light cycle, so they just go straight, immediate (usually) legal U-turn, and then immediate right. All of that to avoid waiting for the protected left again.

I remember not long ago someone posted about this being the standard intersection configuration somewhere. No left turn lane, instead there's a u-turn lane just past the intersection.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I remember not long ago someone posted about this being the standard intersection configuration somewhere. No left turn lane, instead there's a u-turn lane just past the intersection.

"Michigan Left", but only in some areas and only on 4+ lane roads with a median wide enough.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
These are the planes you share the road with,

:nws: lots of swearing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=0woxrFHU4fg&app=desktop

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"why is he singling me out" ~pilot after seeing cop in his rear view

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Witnessed a crash tonight. That was fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lime Tonics posted:

What's the story behind that? It sounded like his engine was still running, so IMO there's basically no reason to land on a highway especially that close to bridges and signs and poo poo, unless this happened to be in the middle of nowhere with trees all around.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

PT6A posted:

What's the story behind that? It sounded like his engine was still running, so IMO there's basically no reason to land on a highway especially that close to bridges and signs and poo poo, unless this happened to be in the middle of nowhere with trees all around.

Could be impending emergency. Loss of oil pressure, coolant, etc. Better to land while you still have power / control than without.

Edit: Phone ate my post.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 20, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lime Tonics posted:

Hell of a good landing. Negotiating not just overpasses and overhead signs but even finding a big open spot in the car traffic. Serious kudos to that pilot. (I assume there was NO other option but the highway.)

I wonder how they're going to get the plane out of there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Fix plane, block highway for 20 minutes at off peak hour, taxi to suitable stretch of highway, take off?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

bolind posted:

Fix plane, block highway for 20 minutes at off peak hour, taxi to suitable stretch of highway, take off?

I would think the DOT wants the plane out of there ASAP and would be happy with this solution. Rubbernecking ruins everything.

Powershift posted:

I didn’t know what this U‐turn looked like or where it was done, but you might be surprised how lax some states’ laws on them can be. Like “no cars within a few hundred feet? Not driving over a raised barrier? You’re good!”

But there are multiple other things a cop can get you for, like “avoiding a traffic control device”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 20, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
According to this, "The plane was towed down the highway to Brookhaven Airport."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There used to be a great 4 way intersection near my old house where if I missed my light to cross traffic I could add another ten minutes into my commute waiting for the next light, or I could turn the opposite way, U-turn and go straight across the junction 60 seconds later. I tried it once and got applause from a white van driver.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's always a relevant XKCD:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Lime Tonics posted:

Huh. That's pretty much the exit I take for work. Cool.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/NBC10_Katie/sta...-oversize-truck

https://cdllife.com/2017/top-trucking-news/rhode-island-issues-biggest-traffic-ticket-state-history-oversized-load-violation/

Someones fired.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
That M1070 was super hard for me to recognize painted red like that. They look so drat cool when they aren't flat camo painted.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After years of almost being run over by motorists, motorcyclists and bicyclists I decided to start wearing a bodycam for my walk to and from work. I haven't captured anything horrifying yet but it's only a matter of time. Best so far is a Lexus running a red light, almost hitting me in a marked crosswalk and flipping me off as he flew past. Couldn't see the bird in the video though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'll do this at certain lights that take forever if you miss them but for whatever reason have little traffic coming from the right. Feels good man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woxrFHU4fg

EDIT: Beaten like the unhinged yoga lady who was swerving into my lane during rush hour was threatening to do to me when I honked after she almost drifted into me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I would think the DOT wants the plane out of there ASAP and would be happy with this solution. Rubbernecking ruins everything.

I didn’t know what this U‐turn looked like or where it was done, but you might be surprised how lax some states’ laws on them can be. Like “no cars within a few hundred feet? Not driving over a raised barrier? You’re good!”

But there are multiple other things a cop can get you for, like “avoiding a traffic control device”.

It was basically like this.

I ended up next to him at the next light across a fairly major road, got ahead of him because i actually went when the light turned green, and then idled along through the long construction zone there with him right behind me, so he didn't save anything anyways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

It was basically like this.

I ended up next to him at the next light across a fairly major road, got ahead of him because i actually went when the light turned green, and then idled along through the long construction zone there with him right behind me, so he didn't save anything anyways.

That's usually the case with those idiots.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
On my way to work today a Lexus was absolutely up my rear end on an airport perimeter road with a few stoplights.

I wasn't anywhere near first in the line of cars. The guy was visibly gesturing and losing his poo poo in the driver's seat. Throwing his hands up, yelling (presumably), you name it. We were stopped at a red light all waiting to make a right turn.

Once we turned I stayed slow in the right lane and motioned for him to pass. I didn't want to be around that kind of crazy any longer than I had to.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 20, 2017

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Coming this Sunday in Washington State

Should come with points on the license as well, but I'm a vindictive prick who's tired of playing dodge'm both as a driver *and* pedestrian.

Also, please please PLEASE gank bicyclists for this poo poo too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They changed ours this year to a larger fine plus 6 points per offence, which is half your allowance before a ban, and will get your licence rescinded if you've been driving less than two years.

Still see people doing it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Coming this Sunday in Washington State

Should come with points on the license as well, but I'm a vindictive prick who's tired of playing dodge'm both as a driver *and* pedestrian.

That's better than us in Colorado who just signed this law not too long ago.

It's 100% legalese but the gist of it is that they made the penalties for texting while driving harsher, but then went ahead and amended the wording such that texting while driving is only illegal "in a manner that [may cause] the operator to drive in a careless and imprudent manner."

So basically the law is now "Sure you can text and drive but if it fucks up your driving (so all the time) the penalties are harsher."

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That will not be enforced just like any other state that has it as a law right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois mandated hands free usage years ago, guess how many people still wobble down the highway with a phone mashed against their cheek?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

This part I don't quite get: "Hands-free use is allowed
• Hands-free use, such as through Bluetooth, is allowed as is a single touch to start a function. Start GPS or music before you drive."

So like, if music is playing from the stereo, I can flip through radio stations, change cd's, navigate a directory structure on a usb drive via the touch screen display, but if it's from a phone you have to have a playlist pre-made and just hit play before you shift out of park? Or if you have Android Auto and can control functions via your car's in-dash touchscreen is that allowed? I'm curious if any studies have been done proving loving with your car's touchscreen is any more or less distracting than loving with your phone's

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yes please! This is coming from a cyclist who doesn't drive a car.

The grieving parents of a 21-year old who got killed by a texter suggested the punishment be the same as those for drunk driving. I'd say maybe it should be even higher, these people are stone cold sober when they decide to use their phones while driving.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

davebo posted:

I'm curious if any studies have been done proving loving with your car's touchscreen is any more or less distracting than loving with your phone's

From my own experience, car touchscreens are even more distracting. They're always slow, with terrible UIs; it takes way longer than it rightfully should to do anything useful on one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Illinois mandated hands free usage years ago, guess how many people still wobble down the highway with a phone mashed against their cheek?

"Hands Free" means holding your phone in your hand on speakerphone two inches in front of your face.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FogHelmut posted:

"Hands Free" means holding your phone in your hand on speakerphone two inches in front of your face.

Question. Why the gently caress do people do that? Seriously.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Keep in mind that this new Washington State law only makes these things secondary offenses - you can't be pulled over for them alone, there has to be another, primary offense first.

I have some doubts about how well enforcement will go, but let's see what happens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

iospace posted:

Question. Why the gently caress do people do that? Seriously.

They’re old and they can hear it better that way.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Keep in mind that this new Washington State law only makes these things secondary offenses - you can't be pulled over for them alone, there has to be another, primary offense first.

I have some doubts about how well enforcement will go, but let's see what happens.

Seattle Times posted:

Q. Is DUIE a primary offense?

A. Yes. A police officer can pull someone over just for using a handheld device.

Source

It's the eating/drinking/grooming/reading while driving that's a secondary offense.