Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hikaki posted:

You do understand that you can actually push the pedal down more to go faster right?

No, they really don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
What the gently caress gives people the idea they can gun it and cut off the straight traffic on a left turn on a green light? I almost slammed into two people today doing this, and it happens at least once a day on my commute. It's not a rural area either and it's obvious commute times like fuckall early in the morning so it's safe to assume they've seen those particular stoplights before.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Today on my way home a Harley passes me and I notice his tail light/s is/are out. I sped up so I could get next to him and, I don't know, point at the back of his bike or something but when he saw me pulling up he gunned it up to what I assume was his top speed (around 90mph is my guess) after which he slowed back down when he came up on a car. Just to see what would happen I pulled closer to him again and he again gunned it, this time going around the car in the same lane and then slowing back down.
No guy I'm not trying to race you. You don't need to defend your bikes' honor by 'beating' my lovely Jap bike. I'm just trying to tell you that you've got no lights in the back of your bike AT ALL and you're probably going to catch an SUV up the rear end because of it.
Oh well, guess he'll find out the hard way.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
On Sunday, I was driving home from rural North Dakota. To set the story up, I had 30 miles of two-lane highway commute. It goes straight west-to-east, aside from one stretch that curves north for a mile and then goes back east. The highway runs between two small towns, and there is nothing in between them except for farm fields.

I was a couple of miles out of town when I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed a blue Suburban aggressively tailgating me. This is unusual, because people in North Dakota will always pass you if you're driving too slow for their tastes. After a bit, he got into the opposite lane but instead of passing, he came up beside me and stayed there. It was a little weird, but I figured it was some local yokel trying to get my attention. I had developed a little bit of a fan club when I had worked in that small town, so I brushed him off as one of the creeps who would come into my gas station and leer at me and try to look down my shirt.

I kept the cruise control set to 65 and didn't look over at him. I'm a pretty socially awkward person, so the thought of waving at people or even making eye contact with people puts me into cold sweats. He eventually slowed down and got behind me again... for a while. He eventually sped up and got beside me again, and stayed there for two miles. I quickly glanced over at him to see if it was someone I knew. I figured once I made eye contact with him, he'd gently caress off. That was not so. He stayed beside my car, even as we were approaching a 90 degree blind left-hand turn. I started to panic at this point, because I thought he was trying to force me off the road. Right before the turn, he slowed down and got behind me again.

I quickly assessed the situation, and that scene in Fargo where Peter Stormare chases down the couple in the car and murders them flashed in my head. My WRX could definitely outrun a Suburban, so I sped up to 75 in hopes that he'd leave me alone. He did, for a little bit, but pretty soon he was driving beside me again and now driving ever closer to my car. I finally decide that I'm going to see what the gently caress this rear end in a top hat wants, so I look over at him.

He's jerking off.

What the Christ. I guess the look of disgust was all that he needed to see, because he slowed down to let me go on ahead. I went from being really terrified to really angry in a flash. I slowed down so that I could take down his license plate. He slowed too, until we were both crawling along a rural highway going half the speed limit. Once we reached the next town, I turned off at a gas station and got behind him to take down his plates. He sped off, but not before I could give his license plate number and description to the state patrol.

This happened on Sunday, and I'm still really angry about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was going to the grocery store when I encountered an old, useless gently caress in an Audi confused by my little scheme of backing into a parking spot. Seriously? I had signalled appropriately, just get out of the goddamn way and let me park for two seconds, and then do whatever it is that's so very important to you that you had to stop exactly where I was doing the turn-out

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This morning I was nearly sideswiped on the highway when a Yaris running no lights (or turn signals, who needs those?) decided to merge into the same slot in the middle lane as I did, from the other side. Fortunately, I had my blinker on and bothered to check my mirror twice, so we didn't collide even though they didn't signal and started merging once I was halfway into the lane already.

Then I saw two idiots take a left turn with their right blinkers on, in a row.

:lol: Massachusetts :lol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

goatse guy posted:

He's jerking off.

Yep, there are still in fact new horrors for this thread to discover. That's messed up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My wife saw some guy doing that in afternoon traffic. not stop and go but 40-50mph while he was whackin it and looking around at everyone nearby him.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, there are still in fact new horrors for this thread to discover. That's messed up.

Normally this kind of poo poo doesn't phase me. I've been around the internet, I've seen a few dudes whacking off in my time, but this... this was different. This was aggressive and terrifying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Were the police receptive to checking the plate out? Hopefully they don't brush it off as a "har har boys will be boys" type deal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every morning I want one of these.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Were the police receptive to checking the plate out? Hopefully they don't brush it off as a "har har boys will be boys" type deal.

The highway patrol was looking for him, and the officer I talked to said she would do some more investigating on her next shift. North Dakota seems to take sex crimes seriously, so I have no doubt that they will investigate it to the fullest extent of their powers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

Every morning I want one of these.

I always wondered if putting a big fuckoff bullbar on the Land Cruiser would have any deterrent effect on other drivers to not swoop too close in front of me. I'm guessing not. I'm guessing I could put NO BRAKES in big reverse letters on the front still wouldn't do anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I always wondered if putting a big fuckoff bullbar on the Land Cruiser would have any deterrent effect on other drivers to not swoop too close in front of me. I'm guessing not. I'm guessing I could put NO BRAKES in big reverse letters on the front still wouldn't do anything.

Driving a beat up pile of poo poo that looks like it's been through a war and come out on top (and still angry) is much better than having a pretty bullbar, but it still doesn't stop anyone from cutting your rear end off. I've done both.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

goatse guy posted:

The highway patrol was looking for him, and the officer I talked to said she would do some more investigating on her next shift. North Dakota seems to take sex crimes seriously, so I have no doubt that they will investigate it to the fullest extent of their powers.

Yeah what does that work out to, lewd conduct in public, harassment, public exposure... if you stay on top of the police it won't end well for him. That sounds like someone who is already/destined to be on the offender registry. If someone was pacing me in the other lane I'd plant it and be gone, personally, I don't know if I'd want to be around long enough for some psycho to decide to take it up a notch.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Das Volk posted:

Yeah what does that work out to, lewd conduct in public, harassment, public exposure... if you stay on top of the police it won't end well for him. That sounds like someone who is already/destined to be on the offender registry. If someone was pacing me in the other lane I'd plant it and be gone, personally, I don't know if I'd want to be around long enough for some psycho to decide to take it up a notch.

There's got to be a reckless driving charge in there as well. Or at the very least, "Distracted" Driving.

goatse guy, that's some scary poo poo and I'm really sorry you had to deal with that. :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Das Volk posted:

if you stay on top of the police it won't end well for him

YMMV on this one. In my experience calling 911 on road-ragers and other dangerous drivers they don't really seem to care unless there's been an accident. I once had a guy flash a gun at me on the highway because I tried to pass him in a totally normal fashion, and the 911 dispatcher couldn't have given less of a gently caress. I was trying to read her the license plate number and she just cut me off with "we'll advise [police department in the next city on the highway] of the situation *click.*"

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Well its snowing hard on longisland so that means people scared to die are doing 10 mph with their hazards on. Coming off new highway on route 109 the rear end kicks out as a rwd are want to do when your pulling away from the light while turning. See a car in the far right lane hazards on doing about 10 im in the middle and slightly sideways getting up to speed with the rest of traffic and a huge flabby arm pops out the window and starts waving and pointing. As I pass the car i see a huge hag of a woman hooping and hollering at me. Why are there people who have no ability to drive and cant stand seeing people who can actually drive at speed during inclement weather.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geoj posted:

YMMV on this one. In my experience calling 911 on road-ragers and other dangerous drivers they don't really seem to care unless there's been an accident. I once had a guy flash a gun at me on the highway because I tried to pass him in a totally normal fashion, and the 911 dispatcher couldn't have given less of a gently caress. I was trying to read her the license plate number and she just cut me off with "we'll advise [police department in the next city on the highway] of the situation *click.*"

Road rage is one thing, but someone being sexually aggressive towards someone else, especially in public, will raise the attention of decent authorities. And with the location being North Dakota it isn't likely to be treated as an everyday occurrence like it could be in big cities.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Well its snowing hard on longisland so that means people scared to die are doing 10 mph with their hazards on. Coming off new highway on route 109 the rear end kicks out as a rwd are want to do when your pulling away from the light while turning. See a car in the far right lane hazards on doing about 10 im in the middle and slightly sideways getting up to speed with the rest of traffic and a huge flabby arm pops out the window and starts waving and pointing. As I pass the car i see a huge hag of a woman hooping and hollering at me. Why are there people who have no ability to drive and cant stand seeing people who can actually drive at speed during inclement weather.

Friend of mine just posted this on facebook...

there isn't a :stonk: big enough.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some massive rear end in a top hat cut right in front of me on the motorway today, so I flashed my high beams at him while I braked. He retaliated by brake-checking me :catstare:

WTF, man?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

Some massive rear end in a top hat cut right in front of me on the motorway today, so I flashed my high beams at him while I braked. He retaliated by brake-checking me :catstare:

WTF, man?

I saw an E-Class cut off a lorry with Italian plates today. Turns out Italian truckers aren't as forgiving as their British counterparts, the guy stuck his high beams on, whipped out into the outside lane* and almost took the front off the Merc pulling back in. Then the Merc cut the car in front of me off to dive down the next exit. :allears:

*Fake edit: For those of you not familiar trucks in Europe are speed limited, and in the UK not usually allowed in the outside lane.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 21, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you put an Italian in something with 500bhp that's limited to 56mph it's not surprising if they get a bit arsey.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

InitialDave posted:

If you put an Italian in something with 500bhp that's limited to 56mph it's not surprising if they get a bit arsey.

now all I want to see is an Italian tune up of a lorry.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Followed a Subaru suv with its cat dragging doing 30 in a 45 (there is a little bit of snow on the ground, time to do half the speed limit), exhaust fumes coming out from the center of the car. They pulled out of a side street near some car dealerships, so I thought maybe it was a mechanic doing something? Then they turned onto the same street as I did, so I thought maybe they were going to the collision repair shop across the street from my work? Then they pulled into the Walgreens parking lot adjacent to my work, so I thought they were going to stop and see what all the noise and fumes were? Last I saw, they turned around in the parking lot and headed the opposite way down the side street without a care in the world, so I'm guessing they were just clueless. They had Washington plates, so I'm hoping they didn't drive half way across the country like that.

Not as bad as the time I saw a car's muffler disconnect as they were stopping for a light, get jammed in the ground, and lift the rear end end of the car a couple inches off the ground like a pole vault before snapping off completely. They stopped for the light, waited for the green, and drove off like nothing was wrong, leaving a hot muffler in the middle of the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Torn Quad Jones posted:

now all I want to see is an Italian tune up of a lorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2e3PHKmfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2e3PHKmfc

:black101:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I prefer this one personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Eh7BBqOQ

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
I figured texting on your phone, using a tablet or doing something other than driving in a car was unsafe, this will revolutionize the way people crash into eachother:

"-Designed to be used in a vehicle's steering wheel (when turned upside down), this work surface is an ergonomic work solution for tablets or writing

- Increase efficiency and comfortability by creating a forward working solution that is ergonomic and simple to use

- Manufactured with a durable powder coated wood material, it is lightweight and smooth, making it comfortable to write on

- Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed between the seats, creating a quick and safe solution for the mobile worker

- Developed for the mobile worker on the road needing support for their tablet or a great place to write
"

Insurance companies will weep while garages will have a field day in profits.
http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I figured texting on your phone, using a tablet or doing something other than driving in a car was unsafe, this will revolutionize the way people crash into eachother:

"-Designed to be used in a vehicle's steering wheel (when turned upside down), this work surface is an ergonomic work solution for tablets or writing

- Increase efficiency and comfortability by creating a forward working solution that is ergonomic and simple to use

- Manufactured with a durable powder coated wood material, it is lightweight and smooth, making it comfortable to write on

- Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed between the seats, creating a quick and safe solution for the mobile worker

- Developed for the mobile worker on the road needing support for their tablet or a great place to write
"

http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I'm pretty sure that's intended to be used solely when the car is stopped. Not that it will stop people, of course...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

"

They don't seem to be there anymore, or maybe they were for a similar but different product, but there used to be hundreds of user-submitted images of this thing. Of course when you clicked through to see the album, most of the images were actually of flaming car crashes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"

I still have one of these; it came with the desk that belts into the passenger seat (which I still use) it was designed to be use when parked ONLY.

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

IOwnCalculus posted:

A friend of mine is a Fedex ground driver and a year or two back he was repeatedly followed by a guy who would pull up beside him at lights, get his attention and proceed to either deep throat a dildo or fondle himself.

It hasn't happened in awhile, and i'm not sure if he ever reported dildo guy to the cops like we all insisted he do.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I called the police on another driver once. To be honest he probably just made a stupid mistake, but I was pretty pissed at the time and called in case was drunk.

I was traveling West on Rt. 2 in MA, somewhere a bit past 495. I was in the right lane with my my cruise control on. A guy in the blue pickup truck came up past me on the left and almost passed me. He just kind of hovered with me right in his blind spot for about a minute and then started merging right into me. By shear luck there was an onramp right there that I made an emergency lane change into. I crossed one of those heavily grooved concrete sections to get there.

I called the MA State Police right afterwards with the license plate and the guy on the line seemed quite interested.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
The last couple of weeks, every morning on the way to work there is this person in a black Volvo V40 who simply doesn't understand how to indicate on or near a roundabout.

First on the road from the N322 into town, there used to be a T-junction which has been changed into a mini-roundabout. Volvo-person indicates left before entering the roundabout and just before the first exit, they stop indicating entirely and exit, following what used to be the on going road in the T-junction.
Second roundabout just down the road near the bus station, again the Volvo indicates left before entering the roundabout, goes past the first exit, stops indicating and takes te second exit to effetively continue straight on.
Immediately after the second roundabout the left indicator goes back on, until they exit the third roundabout at the third exit, ofcourse again they exit the roundabout without indicating.

Makes me wonder whether that person isn't just too stupid to be qualified to drive. How hard can it possibly be to indicate right when you make a right turn to exit a roundabout? Hell there isn't even a reason to indicate left on single lane roundabouts like that. There is no lane to the left to move into and there are no exits to the left. Technically you can't even make a left turn on a roundabout, it's a single lane road which isn't very long and that just happens to curve back on itself. There is no reason to indicate when you just follow to curvature of the road.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does it vary state by state, or are police officers the only ones who are allowed to direct/stop traffic?

My daily commute includes passing by an elementary school. During the morning rush hour is when the buses and parents are dropping their precious cargo off at school, so the normally 35 mph zone has flashers indicating a 25 mph limit. I have absolutely no problem with this as going 25 instead of 35 means it takes a couple extra seconds to get past the area.

However, today, traffic backed up for some reason. When I finally got up to the school zone, there was a woman in a reflective raincoat who intermittently walked into the road to stop traffic to allow all the parents of students to exit the school dropoff loop. I don't know why but this pissed me off immensely. If you make the conscious decision to drop your kid off to public school rather than have them take a bus like other kids, it is not my loving problem if it takes some extra time for you to exit the school parking lot due to rush hour traffic. I do not enjoy being inconvenienced and possibly late to work because your precious butterfly child is too vulnerable to wait at a bus stop like kids have done for 50+ years.

I'm tempted to investigate this further to see if what they're doing is legal/allowed, because it wasn't my problem before, and it sure as gently caress shouldn't be now.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I share a parking lot with inconsiderate jack-hole co-workers. I came out to my T-Bird Monday evening to find this in the passenger door.

It's about 15" long and down to the metal. Also the pressure against the door caused stress cracks to radiate through the paint all over. You can kind of see it on the left side of the first pic. No one fessed up. I spent an hour yesterday looking at every car in the lot looking for a matching paint transfer. No joy. Also, no working cameras in the lot. There's cameras, they just aren't functional. That helps. Company V.P. was like "That sucks..." and nothing more.

As it's a custom metal flake color I can't just run to Pep Boys for a touch up pen. Going to spend some time wet sanding and buffing to try to minimize it but it's still going to look like hell. A couple guys in the local club that do paint repair have offered to look closer at it this weekend during our cruise.

My rage was indescribable. It still is. How do you miss a 19 foot long bright red and chrome car sitting right next to you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actual crossing guards have some elevated privileges, but I've never heard that random plebs can step out in traffic to stop cars. I'd call that either a suicide attempt or jaywalking.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The Midniter posted:

Does it vary state by state, or are police officers the only ones who are allowed to direct/stop traffic?

My daily commute includes passing by an elementary school. During the morning rush hour is when the buses and parents are dropping their precious cargo off at school, so the normally 35 mph zone has flashers indicating a 25 mph limit. I have absolutely no problem with this as going 25 instead of 35 means it takes a couple extra seconds to get past the area.

However, today, traffic backed up for some reason. When I finally got up to the school zone, there was a woman in a reflective raincoat who intermittently walked into the road to stop traffic to allow all the parents of students to exit the school dropoff loop. I don't know why but this pissed me off immensely. If you make the conscious decision to drop your kid off to public school rather than have them take a bus like other kids, it is not my loving problem if it takes some extra time for you to exit the school parking lot due to rush hour traffic. I do not enjoy being inconvenienced and possibly late to work because your precious butterfly child is too vulnerable to wait at a bus stop like kids have done for 50+ years.

I'm tempted to investigate this further to see if what they're doing is legal/allowed, because it wasn't my problem before, and it sure as gently caress shouldn't be now.

IANAL, but as far as I Know it is illegal for anyone besides police officers, and crossing guards to direct traffic, except in an emergency.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 22, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Midniter posted:

there was a woman in a reflective raincoat who intermittently walked into the road to stop traffic to allow all the parents of students to exit the school dropoff loop

You could try contacting the street department of the city this is in for clarification. While I'm sure there are laws against setting up your own private roadblock I doubt you'll get much traction fighting the school on something like this, but based on my limited knowledge of such things if the school was doing this correctly they'd need to hire (or otherwise arrange) for an off-duty officer to show up to direct traffic. I've seen private businesses doing this around where I live - a couple of Wendy's on busy roads hire an off-duty officer or sheriff's deputy during lunch to direct traffic so people can get out of their parking lots, and there's a bakery with a loading dock that lets out onto a busy street that has an off duty officer on premises pretty much 24/7 to stop traffic when they're moving trailers in or out of the dock.

You're probably up poo poo creek though, unless you can get a critical mass of other pissed off motorists to drown out the parents who are likely to bitch if their ability to exit the loop whenever they please is taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kastein posted:

Friend of mine just posted this on facebook...

there isn't a :stonk: big enough.

You didn't zoom out enough.

Today, this jackass alcoholic neighbor parked his Mercury Mariner in my spot. Son of a bitch, I shoveled that spot out, you rat loving bastard, you only leave your house to go buy more liquor and you're often driving drunk.

Seriously, the cops show up about once a month because he gets abusive towards his wife.