Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I refuse to believe it's staged. 2020 has already gone too far for this piece of joy to be taken from us too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I always liked Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I could imagine someone borrowing a Tesla from friend and said friend not thinking they have to explain what a Tesla is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Saukkis posted:

I could imagine someone borrowing a Tesla from friend and said friend not thinking they have to explain what a Tesla is.

Sure. Now explain how said friend thought there was a fuel gauge that is reading low.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

Sure. Now explain how said friend thought there was a fuel gauge that is reading low.
Does Tesla not have a DTE gauge or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Does Tesla not have a DTE gauge or something?

It has that, but no fuel gauge of course. I suppose you could be confused by seeing it and thinking you need to "fill up"?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Motronic posted:

It has that, but no fuel gauge of course. I suppose you could be confused by seeing it and thinking you need to "fill up"?

Look inside yourself, you know the answer to any question that measures human stupidity

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’m still going with staged.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PenisMonkey posted:

Like the stock price.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Roof spoiler really finishes it. That thing is the bestest.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Now that is some good environmental storytelling

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You think the stickers were added before or after the bump?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is it possible to hook up your turn signals the wrong way or something? Some guy in front of me today always indicated the opposite direction he went. Always. And he wasn't some geriatric, he looked 30s tops. No matter how many times people blew their horns when he did the opposite of what he was expected to, but he never stopped.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen people indicate one way and then as they return their hand to the wheel they swipe the signal stalk the other. They usually catch what they did though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is it possible to hook up your turn signals the wrong way or something? Some guy in front of me today always indicated the opposite direction he went. Always. And he wasn't some geriatric, he looked 30s tops. No matter how many times people blew their horns when he did the opposite of what he was expected to, but he never stopped.

Could have been the result of a botched trailer pigtail install. That's really the only reason I can think of for an average car owner to hack into the factory wiring loom at a point where the wires for both lights come together.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Today I watched the car in front of me fail to stay on their own side of the double lines on every single corner through the mountains. 45 minutes, didn't get it right once, and was still going slow enough that I, in a van full of boxed books, was starting to get pissed off about it even though I plan for a slow driver in front whenever I go that way. I mean, there's always a distracted tourist who drifts over the line a couple times and slows down to look at the view, or someone who's nervous about corners and parking it, or someone's who's overconfident and goes wide a few times, so whatever, no point getting stressed, just plan for it to take forever. But I've never seen anything like today's example before. Not one single time did they stay in the lines.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Geoj posted:

Could have been the result of a botched trailer pigtail install. That's really the only reason I can think of for an average car owner to hack into the factory wiring loom at a point where the wires for both lights come together.

You may be right about that. I have rewired more than a few lighting issues caused by DIYers hooking up their own hitches. One even had wires that would have fed back on themselves 3 times. I should have taken pictures.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
https://i.imgur.com/GI92cxu.mp4

What. :what:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

“Should I call the police?”

“Hell no, this is way too (entertaining?)”

gently caress those people.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

The trucking company give no fucks either:
https://twitter.com/ABFtoday/status/1289711007426686976

Thankfully most of the replies are sensible and want the driver sacked

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That is some crazy poo poo. What the hell was the driver thinking?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Colostomy Bag posted:

That is some crazy poo poo. What the hell was the driver thinking?

Dear god this lunatic jumped on my hood at speed and is trying to kill me?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bum the Sad posted:

Dear god this lunatic jumped on my hood at speed and is trying to kill me?

True, guess a heat in the moment thing. They may not teach that in CDL class.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It wouldn't have been save to stop. The windshield may withstand whatever the attacker is using to smack it, but the side windows definitely wouldn't. If he had stopped the guy would have been inside the cabin in seconds. The swerwing might be unnecessary and criminal endangerment, but on the other hand if he had driven straight that guy just might have been able to climb to the side.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Saukkis posted:

It wouldn't have been save to stop. The windshield may withstand whatever the attacker is using to smack it, but the side windows definitely wouldn't. If he had stopped the guy would have been inside the cabin in seconds. The swerwing might be unnecessary and criminal endangerment, but on the other hand if he had driven straight that guy just might have been able to climb to the side.

Yeah goons like to hand wring and try to virtue signal the dumbest poo poo. Apparently this time by victim shaming?

JingleBells posted:

The trucking company give no fucks either:

Thankfully most of the replies are sensible and want the driver sacked
:rolleyes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not wanting to see someone fall off the hood and under the wheels of a semi truck is virtue signaling? The gently caress?

Even if that person had something, sure looks like they're empty handed at this point.

Saukkis posted:

If he had stopped the guy would have been inside the cabin in seconds.

Do semis not have locks?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do semis not have locks?

I don't know of any lock that protects against a smashed window (which I believe was the justification for not stopping). :v:

But swerving down the highway trying to shake someone off your hood seems like a really bad decision to me too. But I wasn't there and don't know how things got into that state, so maybe it did make sense.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Jumping onto the hood of a semi also seems like a bad idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Any info on why the dude was on the hood?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

taqueso posted:

Any info on why the dude was on the hood?

Florida.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This guy nearly took out my power this afternoon. It's just 3 houses down from me. My power briefly went out and I heard a crash. Power came back and I went out to find this. Probably driving too fast and couldn't stop in time for the traffic at the light which is just beyond the left edge of the picture.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regular YouTuber WatchWesWork had an exciting evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLM1vRtIuI

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Y'know, I don't mind if cyclists do a rolling stop at a 4-way stop if they clearly have right of way and there's no traffic. But they really must yield right of way to traffic that has already stopped and now has right of way, and this is especially true if they're riding down the wrong side of the loving road on the sidewalk. Dude nearly t-boned me.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The moron in front of me today wasn't entirely sure where they were going, but by God if they had to brake to 30 in the left lane if the highway so they could read a sign that's what had to be done.

Yes, flip me off for my panic honk, clearly I'm the problem here.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

PT6A posted:

Y'know, I don't mind if cyclists do a rolling stop at a 4-way stop if they clearly have right of way and there's no traffic. But they really must yield right of way to traffic that has already stopped and now has right of way, and this is especially true if they're riding down the wrong side of the loving road on the sidewalk. Dude nearly t-boned me.

I always go back to this story, but one time I was going through a green light and a cyclist blew through the red from cross traffic in front of me so that I had to come to a screeching halt with my horn on. He flipped me off and laughed at me, which was a really strange reaction for me saving his life.

At least his friend had the sanity to stop at the intersection and mouth "Sorry" to me.

I used to bike around town when I lived in DFW and I ran on adrenaline and panic when I did it. I don't know how people can be so careless with their own safety.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cycled to work yesterday, the route is mostly quiet country lanes then masses of wide roads and a whole bunch of cycle path. 26 mile round trip.

On the way in I decided to cycle along a half mile section of dual carriageway which is a 40mph limit because it's mostly downhill and I can cruise most of it at speed and I pull off it early. It's way past rush hour, traffic is quiet and I know the light pattern means I'm 80% of the way along it before the main lot of cars gets let through anyway. So I set off, I'm going 30mph (29.8 if you want to be precise) and there's been maybe 6 cars pass, all in the other lane because the lane's free and the drivers are obviously looking ahead. But this one prick clearly not paying attention, clearly an angry loving bellend decides that I am obstructing him on a pretty clear piece of road and decides to lay on his horn as he passes me with barely any room despite the other lane being clear. As he passes I can see him pointing to the pavement as if to say that's where I should be.

And this is why a cyclist simply cannot win. If you cycle on the pavement you anger pedestrians because you shouldn't be there and are going too fast. So if you do need to use it you end up going slower than using the road. If you use the road you inconvenience and inspire rage in drivers who only focus on the road directly in front of their car because looking in their mirrors, putting their right foot down and turning the steering wheel is clearly too much effort.

I long to live in a world where cycling is taken seriously and there's actual infrastructure put in place for it so I can avoid pedestrians and drivers alike. Pedestrians whine but drivers are actively dangerous twats who seem incapable of actually driving. Eg; the guy who tried to overtake me on a 90° corner and clattered me with his car. I'm there lying on the road bleeding and he climbs out and the first thing he says is "look what you've done to my car". All because he couldn't wait 5 seconds at best! Just total disregard for human life. "I suppose you want to go to the police station..." yeah no poo poo. If you are in such a hurry to get somewhere the least I can do is ensure you're as late as possible now. So we walk to the police station that's handily 100m away and I stand at the counter visibly shaken, my clothes torn from hitting the ground and bleeding. The police were not interested that he had ran me over. They took our details and about a week later a nice motorbike cop came over, took my statement, called the guy a dangerous twat and said nothing will come of it. 5 years later my left knee which took the brunt of the impact still hurts.

So yes, I would dearly like proper cycle lanes everywhere so I don't get hit by dangerous, aggressive pricks, ones that actually link up and let me get to places without taking miles of detour just to get to the other side of a main road. And maybe traffic light patterns that don't cause me to stop and start constantly. And maybe a functioning justice system that punishes dangerous driving and removes licenses from those who do it.

So this post was about my commute to work. On the way back I had entered a roundabout, saw an i8 on my left coming towards it and just watched as the guy didn't even look to his right to check if anything was coming and just carried on in causing me to jump on the brakes to avoid going through his window.

As bad as you think cyclists are, we are easily maimed bags of meat who in a fight with a car will always come off worse, particularly in an incident where a driver is not paying attention or they're actively trying to hurt us. I can say that my experiences with drivers has been fine overall but I've come up against far too many overly aggressive drivers who decide to pick on me simply because I exist on a bike on a road. Also maybe don't flip out and offer to fight me if you're not going to do it, it makes you look pathetic. I have honestly never felt more dehumanised than when I've been forced to interact with lovely drivers by twist of fate.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Observe the Sacramento driver in his natural habitat
Please notice the graceful inability to turn without cutting into on-coming lanes and apparent colorblindness so signature to the species. If you look closely, or I had a better camera, you might see the driver throwing a local greeting indicating that I am, in fact, number 1 for not pulling in front of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgwsFpavdQ